Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao News: Off-Season 2013

Go down 
+43
inskate
BowbowDaijin
chapis
sapphiresky
europeanfan
whiteboots2013
klarification
Haidogirl
shar
pearlyriver
mika
l-spiralmao
tianrushui
Czarace
Mao2012
aoi88
Asada_Rising
ElleluvsL
helen91
ilovethai
chiyori
zarinaballerina
Alokya
Hotaru
bibi
maowataiyo
Mao_Asada_sunrise
polosatik
ballerinamao
Abdiel
tinalulu
babayaga
let`s talk
kaarolcia
josling
silenceisgolden
COHK
sweetdream
linglang
shikure
☆Genie
roma
CraZsk8r
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm

ilovethai wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the Chukyo TV program that announced Mao's Olympic programs? Or any mode of media that announced this news? Please.. thank you so much.

Yap! coming!!
http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/general/2013/05/31/0006037353.shtml
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/headlines/article/20130531-00000031-dal
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/img/f-sp-2013-0531-0003-ns-big.jpg
Back to top Go down
helen91
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
helen91

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Can I also mention how beautiful Mao looks in that dress? <3

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_inline_mnna14ZKaY1qz4rgp
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Mao started her senior year with the Nocturne SP choreographed by Lori and it was wonderful and appropriate for her at the time. Too bad about the Worlds performance but that program as a whole was really very beautiful. Now that there are talks of this being Mao's last season (to which I'm certainly hoping it ain't true) I wonder how Lori will choreograph this to show Mao's growth?
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
Asada_Rising

Asada_Rising

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Wonderful program choices team Mao!!! I think we all basically predicted the LP but re-using Nocturne is a genius idea. I remember a commentator saying it was like Chopin wrote it for her. I'm 100% sure the program will look completely different because the rules changed A LOT from 7 years ago. Plus, the 3a and 3lp will most likely be included.
Back to top Go down
babayaga
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
babayaga

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks for the news!!! I am so happy Mao decided to announce her music early this season, it feels like a good move Smile
Were there rumors that Rachmaninov was the initial music choice for Mao's LP last year? And that it was replaced by the Swan Lake later? I wonder what happened if that's true Smile Maybe the program turned out too good that TAT decided to keep it for the Oly season instead Smile
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:52 am

I went to general news section first instead of here, so I posted my thoughts about her programs there. I was hoping for something different, but as long as her programs are milking the COP points to it's maximum...

I just hope Mao won't let TAT design her LP costume though...

helen91 wrote:
Can I also mention how beautiful Mao looks in that dress? <3

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_inline_mnna14ZKaY1qz4rgp

Holly cow, this is a gorgeous dress and Mao looks absolutely stunning! Love Hearts Dance Many Hearts

Has she been on holidays? She looks slightly tanned.

ilovethai wrote:
Guys!! The medals for the Sochi Olympics have been released!
I think they're gorgeous. Love Hearts Imagine Mao wearing that Gold Medal on top of the podium next year. Dance

I absolutely second this! Please let Mao win an olympic GOLD medal. Worship

And I agree, the medals look amazing.
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:19 am

I have mixed feelings about her reusing the music of one of her most signature programs. On the one hand, it can create a nostalgic feeling and skaters have done it before. (E.g. Kwan performing various versions of her epic "East of Eden" program.) Yet, for me, the original Nocturne SP is such a perfect program that I don't know how she can top the original. I also think Mao has outgrown the carefree, innocent persona exemplified in her Nocturne SP. (I think this was the same issue I had with her Gershwin SP last season). Unless she and Lori take on a very different interpretation of the piece, I am afraid that it will just lend itself to comparisons to the original SP. There are so many other nocturnes by Chopin. I just wonder why they couldn't choose another piece.

I think the LP music is a good choice for the Olympics. It's an overused piece but it really depends on having the right edits and choreography.

Anyways, I can't wait to see her new programs. And yes, that dress is so lovely!
Back to top Go down
helen91
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
helen91

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 5:57 am

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_mnnvjo7DTP1qbnrrxo4_1280

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_mnnvjo7DTP1qbnrrxo3_400

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_mnnvjo7DTP1qbnrrxo1_400

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_mnnvjo7DTP1qbnrrxo2_400

Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Tumblr_mnnvjo7DTP1qbnrrxo5_500

What a beautiful lady <3
Back to top Go down
Mao2012
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Mao2012

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:07 am

I don't know, I have mixed feelings too... Rachmaninoff was pretty predictable (being the Olympics in Russia), but using that piece for the SP again... I hope she and Lori come out with a completely new version of that program and not just change the position of the elements and let everything as it was...
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:36 am

Mao2012 wrote:
I don't know, I have mixed feelings too... Rachmaninoff was pretty predictable (being the Olympics in Russia), but using that piece for the SP again... I hope she and Lori come out with a completely new version of that program and not just change the position of the elements and let everything as it was...

I hope so too though I doubt it with Lori. When she talked about wanting Mao to skate to something like "Nocturne" for Olympic season, I wondered if Lori was trying to recreate the Mao of younger years. Gershwin was a throwback to her senior debut even the costumes and hairstyle were similar and now she wants to recreate her 2006 style. I just didn't imagine they would reuse the same music lol. I love her Nocturne SP but I can't help feeling disappointed with her choice to use the music again.
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:39 am

OMG i'm soooo soo excited, for the sp and fs... this will be amazing, I love both pieces of music...
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks for the news!

wow Nocturne and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto!!??!!?? Shocked

Regarding Nocturne, I totally agree with aoi ... you said exactly what I feel.

According to the NHK news, http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20130531/k10014994471000.html, the choreographic theme of her new Nocturne program is "first love."

Regarding Rachmaninoff, I'm not so worried because TAT made such a fantastic program for her last season using overused Swan Lake. I believe she's done something magical to this overused Rachmaninoff too.

The above NHK news says TAT told Mao when she skates to it to pour feelings of joy and sadness she has experienced in her life.
Back to top Go down
josling
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
josling

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:56 am

Mao2012 wrote:

I understand aoi88's and your point but I honestly don't think that will happen! Lori, Mao and the Satos know that Mao is a grown up young lady now! Not for nothing they challenged her with all different types of music through the last years. In 2006 the Nocturne was also a challenge (for a 16year old!!) which Mao mastered brilliantly of course! But now she can express more and I think we'll see that in this SP! So I'm expecting a totally different program, maybe a different music cut too...!
Although the last Nocturne programm was already peeerfect for me I'm sooo excited to see what Lori will do for her!! Mushy Love
Actually I was quite emotional when I read the news and heard the Nocturne once again with knowing that this will maybe Mao's last SP ever! Bawling The SP in Worlds 2007 was the first time ever I saw Mao and I felt in love with her in the first seconds although she popped the loop! So this program means so incredibly much for me and I always dreamed of a recent version of it!! Love Hearts Swoon
I'm also excited for the FS although I hoped she would skate to something that the skating world didn't hear a thousand of times... but oh, well, it suits Mao perfectly!! I'm curious what music cut they'll use!! Smile

So, thank you, Mao for chosing such wonderful pieces for the Olympic season!!!!! Daisies for you
btw, I love the EX too! It will be another joyful masterpiece! Confetti

AHHHHHHH, I can't wait to see what Lori and TAT produced for her!! Dance

edit: When will the Grand Prix entries announced?! Tomorrow!?!?! Yikes!!!
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:10 am

I'm more concerned on the Nocturne version now. I hope Lori will be able to show a mature or new Mao and do something beautiful totally different from what Mao showed the world in 2006/2007.

Rachmaninoff... despite me wanting Mao to skate to unused or unique pieces, can't help but be excited because I love this piece and with what Mao has gone through, I feel this will be perfect for her.

Since Mao has already had the programs choreographed, do you think we'll see maybe the SP or FS skated in The ICE?
Back to top Go down
Asada_Rising

Asada_Rising

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:22 am

Love Hearts The Nocturne program was done 7 years ago and the rules have changed a lot. The biggest change is that there will be no spiral sequence. Even if it was the same program, I will still be happy because it was that original Nocturne program that made me a Mao fan and was received extremely well by judges, fans and Dick Button. Besides, I don't think any one can remember a program from 7 years ago move for move. I don't think its a crime to re-use music that works for her style of skating. She must have felt its right to re-use the music for a reason. I don't think the Olympic season is a time when you experiment with music. I actually think nocturne is a very mature piece and she can do much more with it now than in 06-07. I'm excited to see light, soft and delicate Mao back this season.

As for the LP, I like the choice. I'm just happy TAT didn't go crazy and try to have her skate to something like "Rite of Spring". "Piano Concerto No.2" is a piece that has been done to death but, only few did it justice(i.e Lu Chen 1996). She probably had to release her music early to avoid any of the other ladies taking it HAHAHA just like the battle of the Carmen's. The program could have the potential to give a real boost to her fighting spirit if the audience in Sochi responds to it well. I cant wait to see the actual program and to see how much Mao has improved.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:17 am

Mao2012 wrote:

Considering that this is Mao Asada, one the biggest figure skating stars ever, Lori can't afford to just change a few things and leave the rest as it was 7 years ago. If she would do this it would hurt her reputation as a choreographer. You can bet that many will watch the 2006/07 version of Nocturne, just to see what has changed this time or to see how much she has improved since then.

I wish she'd choose different programs, but this SP was a masterpiece, so I'm curious to see what they'll do with the new version and I'm even more curious to see how wonderful Mao will look in it. She was amazing as a teenager, I bet she'll blow everyone away as a young woman who's experienced a lot in her 22 years of life.

Off topic: Does Mao endorse any hair products? If not, she should, her hair looks fantastic. So shiny and healthy.

linglang wrote:
The above NHK news says TAT told Mao when she skates to it to pour feelings of joy and sadness she has experienced in her life.

I like the sound of this. Hopefully, the Rachmaninnoff will be magical.
Back to top Go down
silenceisgolden
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
silenceisgolden

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:09 am

babayaga wrote:
Were there rumors that Rachmaninov was the initial music choice for Mao's LP last year? And that it was replaced by the Swan Lake later?

Mao says so in this magazine/book.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4789962121/?tag=a8-affi-5852-22#reader_4789962121

She also says she may use Rachmaninov some day... Sweatdrop

Back to top Go down
babayaga
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
babayaga

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:22 am

silenceisgolden wrote:
babayaga wrote:
Were there rumors that Rachmaninov was the initial music choice for Mao's LP last year? And that it was replaced by the Swan Lake later?

Mao says so in this magazine/book.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4789962121/?tag=a8-affi-5852-22#reader_4789962121

She also says she may use Rachmaninov some day... Sweatdrop

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Czarace

Czarace

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 11:06 am

I'm pleased! I had initial mixed feelings as well, but overall I think it's a smart choice.

Somehow, I get the sense that Mao is going through a certain rejuvenating process, the same way Margot Fonteyn found the joy in ballet again later in her life with Nureyev. And tying that with the prospect of Mao's retirement post-Sochi, I think if does come to it, it is a beautiful and graceful way to bid adieu.

Her choice to skate to Chopin again is a smart choice. I think, despite it being essentially a remake of her original program, it was the first ever program that showcased her lyricism and one that struck a beautiful relationship with Lori. I hope that Lori brings out the lightness of her skating and that youthful exuberance that Mao radiates. After all, these are two different pieces, light and dark, and they should make for a fantastic combo.

Likewise with Tarasova; Rachmaninov is dramatic yet classical and lyrical. It sums up their relationship perfectly as well. Tat brought out the dramatic flair in Mao's skating and she taught her to skate emotionally I think. In comparison to Vancouver, these pieces have the ability to rouse emotion from the audience and the skater herself. Masquerade and Bells (though beautiful and grandiose) weren't accessible to the normal fan, as opposed to this Concerto and the Nocturne, which are (yes..) overused, but equally loved.

Overall I think it's a great choice. I do wish that Mao would try something out of the ordinary for her, but doing that, in relation to the progress of her state, would be precarious. Skating to music that she knows like the back of her hand is definitely an advantage. And it's the OLYMPICS. The choices have to fit well and be sophisticated at the same time.

Will be doing a blog post on this later tonight! Check it out at www.theczarisalive.blogspot.com if you like, along with some more Mao posts!

I CANNOT WAIT.
Back to top Go down
http://theczarisalive.blogspot.com
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Czarace wrote:
I'm pleased! I had initial mixed feelings as well, but overall I think it's a smart choice.

Somehow, I get the sense that Mao is going through a certain rejuvenating process, the same way Margot Fonteyn found the joy in ballet again later in her life with Nureyev. And tying that with the prospect of Mao's retirement post-Sochi, I think if does come to it, it is a beautiful and graceful way to bid adieu.

Her choice to skate to Chopin again is a smart choice. I think, despite it being essentially a remake of her original program, it was the first ever program that showcased her lyricism and one that struck a beautiful relationship with Lori. I hope that Lori brings out the lightness of her skating and that youthful exuberance that Mao radiates. After all, these are two different pieces, light and dark, and they should make for a fantastic combo.

Likewise with Tarasova; Rachmaninov is dramatic yet classical and lyrical. It sums up their relationship perfectly as well. Tat brought out the dramatic flair in Mao's skating and she taught her to skate emotionally I think. In comparison to Vancouver, these pieces have the ability to rouse emotion from the audience and the skater herself. Masquerade and Bells (though beautiful and grandiose) weren't accessible to the normal fan, as opposed to this Concerto and the Nocturne, which are (yes..) overused, but equally loved.

Overall I think it's a great choice. I do wish that Mao would try something out of the ordinary for her, but doing that, in relation to the progress of her state, would be precarious. Skating to music that she knows like the back of her hand is definitely an advantage. And it's the OLYMPICS. The choices have to fit well and be sophisticated at the same time.

Will be doing a blog post on this later tonight! Check it out at www.theczarisalive.blogspot.com if you like, along with some more Mao posts!

I CANNOT WAIT.

This was a great "analysis". Like you, I'm starting to warm up to these choices. I knew she won't go out of the comfort zone, since this is the most important season of an athlete's life and the last thing you want is the judges not liking the programs, I just hoped for something less used.

I hope though, that Chopin is going to be completely new version, not the old one with a few modifications, and that TAT won't give Mao the exact same program (music cut) as she gave to Sasha.

I can't wait to see new programs and especially costumes! I'm hoping for a rich blue or purple for Rachmaninnoff, or midnight blue would also look amazing on her.
Back to top Go down
helen91
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
helen91

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 3:17 pm

I probably should believe in Lori's ability to choreograph an entirely different feeling routine using the same music for a skater, but seeing how similar the Mao's Got Rhythm routine was to the Mirai's Got Rhythm routine, I'm not sure......... either way, Mao's 2006 SA short program is what began my Mao obsession so this piece of music will always make me think of Mao and remind me of her incredible journey Smile (Don't ruin this memory for me Lori).
Back to top Go down
maowataiyo
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
maowataiyo

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:34 am

I'm gonna sound like a broken record w/what has already been written by a lot of you guys, but I was kind of disappointed when I learned that Mao chose to skate to Nocturne again. I think that's one of my favorite programs of Mao's, but I was hoping for (by a long shot) that even though she chose Lori (even though I wanted her to get Miyamoto or Carmelengo) to do her SP that we would get something really fresh and new Very Mad

Darn..I just had this feeling that Lori wasn't invested in Mao as she was with Carolina when I read that Icenetwork article posted by Rose. The thought that this may be Mao's last competitive season Crying or Very sad I'm frustrated Mao didn't choose a completely new program. So w/this decision there were potentially three programs that we could have seen from Mao that we didn't (as much as it was Mao's decision too)..I know I'm being totally selfish but that's how I feel. I think in terms of choreography Lori is great, but she always plays it light/safe with Mao's music choice.

Okay enought venting; I loved the pictures of Mao with Tatiana Love And the design of the medals are great! Thanks guys! I know Tatiana's music choice with Mao is also very Tarasovaesque but I always get the feeling Tatiana gives her all with Mao. If TAT's choreography has lots of transitions and doesn't focus too much on the step sequence it has wonderful potential to be a masterpiece Dance
Back to top Go down
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ilovethai

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:11 am

Hey maowataiyo!! Very Happy Great to see you again. Wink
I thought I was the only one who wished for Mao to work with Camerlengo Surprised What I like about Camerlengo's programs is that they have a certain je ne sais quoi to them so yea.. I was curious to know how Mao's programs with him would look like. Btw, just curious.. TAT seems to adore Mao so much and I wonder why. Question
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 4:46 am

Ever since Pasquale Camerlengo mentioned in an interview that he wanted to choreograph for Mao a lot of us wanted Mao to go to him. I've always wanted to know what side of Mao he can bring out.

Lets just hope Lori and Tat will be able to bring out something else from Mao that she hasn't shown before. Especially from Lori since they're aiming to use one of Mao's signature pieces. She has to top the one she did for Mao before. For Tat, she knows what Mao has been through. If Mao has always wanted to skate to it with its theme being about her life, I hope Tat can really help her pull it off.

---

OTOH, who wants to be taught by Mao how to skate? Razz
Here's Mao-sensei teaching kids some skating lessons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-9Tw9n5fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_24eQqdr9k

Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 5:26 am

roma wrote:

---

OTOH, who wants to be taught by Mao how to skate? Razz
Here's Mao-sensei teaching kids some skating lessons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-9Tw9n5fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_24eQqdr9k

Another longer clip of the skating class for kids, taught by Mao+Mai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I46ws78b0xk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News: Off-Season 2013   Mao News: Off-Season 2013 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao News: Off-Season 2013
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next