Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!

Go down 
+37
mimmiz
Tripleaxelqueen
PochinkoPotanko
symbolicsmile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
minhoudi
whiteboots2013
BowbowDaijin
kitty
europeanfan
sweetdream
l-spiralmao
kisses
AmazingGraceMao
Iceriver
Abdiel
kawaiimao
chapis
FigureArtist14
let`s talk
ilovethai
silenceisgolden
inskate
ElleluvsL
pearlyriver
zarinaballerina
sapphiresky
Ken Himura
Czarace
Haidogirl
shar
Dani-Chan
aoi88
roma
ballerinamao
COHK
linglang
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
whiteboots2013

whiteboots2013

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 6:09 am

I agree with you, sweetdream, thank you. Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 7:30 am

Is there any way I can watch the documentary How Chopin saved my life? I feel like I need an inspiration boost, especially after hearing some lovely members share on our groups about how Mao has indirectly pulled them out of hard times. Wish every body strength and courage to pursue whatever you want to do.  sunny 
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 am

News today:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140105-00000164-sph-spo

Though the news cycle at the moment still stays on Korea Nationals  Fried , there's some more info about Mao:
- there's no new year skating festival (aka Nagoya skating festival) held after Jan 1 this year (I read somewhere else it will be moved to April, after the WC)
- at the moment Mao won't have any other public agenda, not until Jan 20th when there will be an event to send-off Jpn Olympians. Meanwhile Mao will be training at her university rink.
- it's not for certain if Mao will take part in the team event (this has something to do with ISU changing the rules about announcing competitors prior to the team event, and hence JSF changing/withdrawing their selection rules...it turned out to be quite confusing.)

Adding: there was an post-national interview of Mao, by Mai as the interviewer, just broadcasted during Mai's sports news segment. You may have seen some cute photos of the two sisters on twitter. Hopefully someone will upload the interview somewhere soon... I love you 
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am

Mao+Mai interview:
Part I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbow5iiaClw
Part II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLy14y8fZBQ

I don't think I can provide any translation at the moment. Hopefully someone will be able to do that...
But I  I love you the part --
Mai:(asking about Mao's plan)"how about after Olympics?"
Mao: There's world
Mai:"and afterwards?"
Mao: There are ice shows
...in the end, Mao says she hasn't been thinking about her plan afterwards.

And when it comes to the question about rivals, Mao indeed has more graceful answer to provide: I'm only working toward my goals, and not considering/thinking about things/people other than that (rough translation)
Back to top Go down
Abdiel
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 9:26 am

COHK wrote:
Mao+Mai interview:

I don't think I can provide any translation at the moment. Hopefully someone will be able to do that...

And when it comes to the question about rivals, Mao indeed has more graceful answer to provide: I'm only working toward my goals, and not considering/thinking about things/people other than that (rough translation)

Mao  Wub   Swoon 
Yes, Mao, fight to achieve your own goals!!!  Thumbs up!  And don't mind the haters, the bots, and others who pull you down!  Yep! 
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm

COHK wrote:
News today:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140105-00000164-sph-spo

Though the news cycle at the moment still stays on Korea Nationals  Fried , there's some more info about Mao:
- there's no new year skating festival (aka Nagoya skating festival) held after Jan 1 this year (I read somewhere else it will be moved to April, after the WC)
- at the moment Mao won't have any other public agenda, not until Jan 20th when there will be an event to send-off Jpn Olympians. Meanwhile Mao will be training at her university rink.
- it's not for certain if Mao will take part in the team event (this has something to do with ISU changing the rules about announcing competitors prior to the team event, and hence JSF changing/withdrawing their selection rules...it turned out to be quite confusing.)

Adding: there was an post-national interview of Mao, by Mai as the interviewer, just broadcasted during Mai's sports news segment. You may have seen some cute photos of the two sisters on twitter. Hopefully someone will upload the interview somewhere soon... I love you 

The two sisters look so beautiful and radiant.  Wub They're really each other's best friend. Go Mao  Cheering 
Back to top Go down
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ilovethai

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 4:44 am

OMG I just realized that the Sochi Olympics will be the FINAL time Mao and Yuna will compete against each other. What a mighty fine stage to end one of the longest and most compelling figure skating rivalries we've ever seen.

On another note, I also realized that the last 4 (YES FOUR!) Olympic Champions in Ladies singles did NOT win their own Nationals the year they won the Olympics .. and they all wore BLUE in their long programs Shocked Exclamation I know Yuna didn't compete at Korean Nationals but still. Evan Lysacek, the last men's Olympic Champion also did not win his Nationals the year he won Olympics. I don't know if this is a good omen for Mao or whether this even applies to her situation but I thought it was just an interesting thought.
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 5:43 pm

News from  NHK interview (the video has English sub-channel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u46erxhaXg

I just like Mao's attitude as a competitor. (This video saved me from  Fried by the bad, bad-mouthed Korean media's comments on Mao Very Mad)

Shizuka was interviewed to talk about Mao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guz3GbPyRUs
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 10:56 pm

COHK wrote:
Mao+Mai interview:

Thanks COHK for the link!!  Razz 
Mai asked good questions that we all wanted to ask Mao.  cheers 

Sorry because I don't have much time, I translated only their conversations and skipped Mai’s narration parts.

The interview was shot on Dec. 24.

@1:03
Mao & Mai: Congratulations! Cheers!
Mai: Taste fits for adult, doesn’t it? It’s sweet. Delicious.
Mao: Sweet!
Mai: We seldom drink alcohol, less than once a year, do we?
Mao: Only plum wine (if I drink).
Mai: How do you like this wine?
Mai: I don’t know because I need to get used to drinking it (before I can say something about it).
Mai: I think you are hungry, so let’s start eating.

-- After Japanese nationals were over --

Mai: After Japanese nationals finished yesterday and you were selected for the team Japan for Sochi, did you think anything when you become alone?  What did you think?
Mao: First of all, I felt frustrated. When I became alone, I felt it’s mortifying.
Mai: In what point did you feel mortified including both SP and FS.
Mao: In both SP and FS, I couldn’t nail 3As (that’s I felt frustrated.)
(Mai’s narration)
Mai: You attempted 3A many times this season.  Do you have particular thought or persistence to 3A?
Mao: Well, as of now there is no one other than me who attempts 3A.  Also, 3A is a highlight of my programs.  So, I felt strong frustration that I wasn’t able to nail it.  Things worked smoothly since the beginning of the season for me.  Other than 3A, because I’ve been working on basis and I really realized that the basis was getting firm.  But, what I’m aiming at now is not the programs using only the basis of what I have but a step higher.  I’m yet to achieve it.  But comparing to the Vancouver Olympic season, (my performances) are far better in levels and I’m in good shape.  So, because I’m in good form, I feel frustrated even more.

(Mai’s narration)

@4:06
Mai: What’s your success rate of 3A at practice?
Mao: When I execute it as a solo element and when I’m in good condition, I can nail it if I think I can nail it.
Mai: LOL  Well, if you think you can nail it at competition, you will nail it, won’t you?
Mao: It’s not that easy.
Mai: So, you mean, at practice, with momentum and your confidence to make it ... you can nail it.
Mao: (Nodding for yes)
Mai: LOL
Mao: It’s funny isn’t it?
Mai: It’s funny.
(Mai’s narration)

-- Two 3As in FS –

Mao: Before the season begun, the two-3A plan wasn’t in my mind at all.
Mai: No, you didn’t have that idea.  At the beginning of the season, you had only one 3A. You didn’t look at all you wanted to have two 3A.
Mao: But, I started to feel that I would be able to make it. This is the Olympic season and in my first Olympic season, I landed three 3A in my programs.  Gradually I started to have a similar feeling that I had in the Vancouver season.
Mai: The feeling that you can make it, isn’t it?
Mao: Yes and it’s like that I want to return to that time. (Note: maybe she means she wants to regain the momentum/motivation that she had back then?)
Mai: Two 3A in a program requires a lot of physical strength. Even when you succeed, 3A requires more physical strength than other jumps. How did you talk with Mr. Sato about the two-3A plan?
Mao: When I told him that I wanted to have two 3A, he was like “hmmm” at first.
Mai: LOL
Mao: Nobuo-sensei said that he thought I could do it considering my current condition. And he agreed with me to aim for it.
Mai: Without two 3A, you won two competitions in the GPS.  You delivered performances to win the games without two 3A.  Yet, you want to aim at two 3A.  What is the source of that motivation?
Mao: Probably because I’m aware of my previous performance level, I cannot feel happy even if I win a game with performances of lower level.
Mai:  So, you mean, with a program not having two 3A, even if you delivered a clean performance, you wouldn’t be satisfied, you would feel tempted to have two 3A?
Mao: Talking about satisfaction, because I’m a competitive figure skater, one of my goals is to get satisfaction from a performance of highest level that I can attain.  Even if I skate a clean program without 3A, I wouldn’t feel happy at all.  I skate because I have t goals and I want to achieve them.  I think that’s one of reasons (why I want to have two 3A)

@8:23
Mai:  You actually attempted it in competitions.  How do you feel now?  What do you think about the risks of doing it?
Mao: Well, there were times when I didn’t attempt it, there were times when I didn’t have even one 3A, and times when I had two 3A were years ago.  So, I’m yet to regain the sense.  But I believe that you can do what you were able to do in the past.  And I want to achieve it.  I will keep practicing to be ready in time (for Sochi).

to be continued to part 2.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 pm

pearlyriver wrote:
Is there any way I can watch the documentary How Chopin saved my life? I feel like I need an inspiration boost, especially after hearing some lovely members share on our groups about how Mao has indirectly pulled them out of hard times. Wish every body strength and courage to pursue whatever you want to do.  sunny 

Here you are http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjE2NDQ2NDg4.html  Very Happy 
Hope I'm not too late to reply.
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:25 am

ilovethai wrote:

On another note, I also realized that the last 4 (YES FOUR!) Olympic Champions in Ladies singles did NOT win their own Nationals the year they won the Olympics .. and they all wore BLUE in their long programs Shocked Exclamation I know Yuna didn't compete at Korean Nationals but still. Evan Lysacek, the last men's Olympic Champion also did not win his Nationals the year he won Olympics. I don't know if this is a good omen for Mao or whether this even applies to her situation but I thought it was just an interesting thought.

Haha, you beat me to it  Razz But Carol and Julia didn't win Nationals this season either.

Btw, thank you Linglang  Good luck! Boogie 
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 am

Mai: The Olympics are only two months away from now and it will goes by so fast.  (Inaudible) Olympic for you?  Was your first Olympic different from what you thought ideally?
Mao: I thought it would be a very big stage and I made myself prepared for it.  I imagined how it would look like, but when I actually arrived at the venue I realized it was different from what I thought and of course I knew it would be different.
Mai: I went to the venue to see the free program.  I was watching from a seat at the very back.  The entire venue was in tense atmosphere. The air was so tense that you may have stomach ache, wasn’t it?  Regarding the memory of Vancouver, what’s the biggest one for you, dissatisfaction?
Mao: Well, immediately after it, it was the strongest feeling I had, I mean immediately after I finished my performance. But, after that, I was happy. I was really mad at myself for mistakes and felt mortified.  But at the victory ceremony, I saw many Japanese flags and I heard “Omedeto (Congratulations)” from the audience.  I also saw videos where many people were cheering me up in front of TV screen.  I was able to come back to Japan with a medal.  So I was very happy.  The experience at Vancouver was so big.  It was first time for me to skate in such a tense atmosphere.  So (when I feel nervous) I can say it’s not as tense as Vancouver.  Because of the experience at Vancouver I think I became stronger.
Mai: So you have made the team Japan for your second Olympic games.  How do you want to spend two months before it.  Looks yummy, hehe
Mao: (Grin) Two months are I think really a short period of time.  Each day I will do what I can do so that by the time of departure I will have confidence that I’ve worked hard and I’m OK.  I think keep practicing to gain the confidence is a path to success in Sochi.  I think those two months are the most important period.

(Mai’s narration)

Mai: I suppose your competitors around the world will have their own thoughts to compete at Sochi.  Yuna Kim who is the same age as you and long time competitor since junior years will represent South Korea, I think. Also Russian skaters will be working hard. Do you have any thought or feeling regarding your competitors?
Mao: What I have in my mind now is to deliver performances that I’m aiming at.  That occupies my mind.  Other skaters are other skaters.  In competition, you can rely only on yourself.  Executing something you set as your goal ... that’s my goal, so I don’t think about other skaters now.  Back in the time of Vancouver Olympics, I was struggling with everything.  I devoted myself too much and I felt very tired.  Now I believe in what I’ve been doing for the last three years and I think I can stay calm to skate.  In that sense ... and I’m aiming at delivering better performances in Sochi than Vancouver.  I want to make the game where I will feel happy when it’s over.  
Mai: Please share with us your goal at Olympics.
Mao: My goal at Olympics ... I will start practicing it and if I will be able to have three 3A (SP and FS) in time for Olympics, I want to have them in my programs.  So, having them in my programs to skate at the competition and I want to make the competition where I will say yes, I made it!  That’s the biggest goal for me. Also, because I will take a part representing Japan and I want to bring a medal back to Japan.  I think it’s best if I could bring back the medal of the best color.

-- About after Sochi –

Mai: Although the Olympics haven’t started yet, do you have any plan after it?  Do you have any plan to go on a trip or something like that?
Mao: After Olympics, there are the world championships.
Mai: Exactly.  How about after the worlds?
Mao: After the worlds, there are ice shows.
Mai: For a while your life will be filled with skate, skate, skate.
Mao: Yes.
Mai: Suppose if you are given a week off, what would you like to do?
Mao: I have no idea.
Mai: You don’t know what you want to do?
Mao: Maybe, I don’t know what I should do if skating is no longer a part of my life. Because skating is the main thing in my life, I can’t even begin to imagine what I would be doing after it’s over.  When time comes, probably I will do ice shows and I will be practicing for them.  But, as of now, I have no idea.
Mai: Well, for the Olympics which will take place in two months, please do you best and don’t get injured, although you just finished a competition today.
Mai & Mao: Thank you.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 am

COHK wrote:
News from  NHK interview (the video has English sub-channel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u46erxhaXg

I just like Mao's attitude as a competitor. (This video saved me from  Fried by the bad, bad-mouthed Korean media's comments on Mao Very Mad)

Shizuka was interviewed to talk about Mao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guz3GbPyRUs

Thanks COHK.

Shizuka assumes the reason why Mao attempted two 3A in FS at nationals. She thinks it's because she wants to keep two options for Sochi.  This season she had one 3A and her confidence with other jumps were improving.  She started to attempt a two 3A layout at GPF.  If she didn't attempt it once again at nationals, she wouldn't be able to gain anything for adjustment/improvement to make later on.  So, she probably attempted it on purpose (regardless of success rate) because she wanted to get the sense of doing a two 3A layout while she's confident already with a one 3A layout.
Back to top Go down
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ilovethai

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks very much for your translation of the interviews Linglang. I'm quite worried now. Mao says that if her 3As are consistent enough in practice, she's gonna stick to her two 3A layout in the LP huh? Goodness...  Shocked Neutral affraid I think we all know what this means. Knowing how our Mao is not even satisfied with just one 3A, she's probably gonna try do two 3As in the LP at the Olympics.

While I love our Mao for pushing herself to new limits, I don't want another Midori Ito 1992 Olympic performance (ends up with the Silver medal too  Sad ) At least if she's gonna stick to her current layout, I think she should really do the LP portion of the Team Event. That way, she can test her two 3A layout again on the same rink and get a good feel for it. Although it'd be more beneficial for Team Japan if Mao did the SP, I don't think any other country is even gonna come close to Japan in Ladies' Singles. If Akiko skates her SP clean and Mao skates her LP relatively clean too, Japan could probably break 210 total in the Team Event for Ladies' Singles.
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 am

ilovethai wrote:

While I love our Mao for pushing herself to new limits, I don't want another Midori Ito 1992 Olympic performance (ends up with the Silver medal too  Sad ) At least if she's gonna stick to her current layout, I think she should really do the LP portion of the Team Event. That way, she can test her two 3A layout again on the same rink and get a good feel for it. Although it'd be more beneficial for Team Japan if Mao did the SP, I don't think any other country is even gonna come close to Japan in Ladies' Singles. If Akiko skates her SP clean and Mao skates her LP relatively clean too, Japan could probably break 210 total in the Team Event for Ladies' Singles.

What was the reason Midori couldn't land 3A in the practice and had to switch to 3Lz? Did she have an injury, since she fell on the 3ltz, her most stable jump?
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks for the translation linglang!  Very Happy From this interview, it's pretty clear Mao is keeping her options open. She specifically said "if" she is able to do it, she will include them. This means it depends on her condition.  I think nailing a 2 3A layout at the Olympics will be most satisfying to her. However, if her 3As aren't going well in warmup practices (as at Nationals), I think Mao is willing to compromise. She has much more at stake at the Olympics than at Nationals. I feel if Mao is able to skate her desired program clean, and accomplish what she wasn't able to do in Vancouver, she will be satisfied regardless of the medal. Of course she wants to medal as well (who doesn't want an Olympic medal?), but I feel she would feel as if she accomplished what she set out to do even if she doesn't win. And honestly, if she is able to do that, she will definitely be on the podium at the very least.

So it's not clear Mao will skate in the team event? How much say do the federation and skaters have on whether they skate in this event or not?
Back to top Go down
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ilovethai

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 12:12 pm

pearlyriver wrote:
ilovethai wrote:

What was the reason Midori couldn't land 3A in the practice and had to switch to 3Lz? Did she have an injury, since she fell on the 3ltz, her most stable jump?
Oh.. I was referring to her Long Program at the 1992 Olympics. She fell on her first 3A but landed her second one (the second 3A was not planned. She just threw it in).

It's also really interesting to note that Midori Ito skated to Piano Concerto No. 2 at the 1992 Olympics like Mao  Exclamation  although it was the third movement.. not first movement like Mao. What a wonderful story that would be if Mao wins the Olympic Gold Medal. Mao finishes the job that her idol, Midori Ito, set out to do for Japan 22 years ago... and also to become the first female triple axel jumper to win Olympics.
Back to top Go down
minhoudi

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Thank you very much linglang for your tranlation. Very intersting interview. I am french and I was very frustrated not to understand what Mao had said to her sister. Thanks to you, I see why Mao is obsessed with the 3A Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
shar

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I found this news on GS about Mao:

"According to Nikkan Sports, Asada's camp recently decided not to leave for Sochi in mid-January. It was said that Asada would train in Japan until early February. "

If this is true, i think this is a smart move for Mao, especially if it means she won't compete in the team event. Giving her more time to perfect her performances for the single events, which is where she should be shining.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm

aoi88 wrote:
Thanks for the translation linglang!  Very Happy From this interview, it's pretty clear Mao is keeping her options open. She specifically said "if" she is able to do it, she will include them. This means it depends on her condition.  I think nailing a 2 3A layout at the Olympics will be most satisfying to her. However, if her 3As aren't going well in warmup practices (as at Nationals), I think Mao is willing to compromise. She has much more at stake at the Olympics than at Nationals. I feel if Mao is able to skate her desired program clean, and accomplish what she wasn't able to do in Vancouver, she will be satisfied regardless of the medal. Of course she wants to medal as well (who doesn't want an Olympic medal?), but I feel she would feel as if she accomplished what she set out to do even if she doesn't win. And honestly, if she is able to do that, she will definitely be on the podium at the very least.

So it's not clear Mao will skate in the team event? How much say do the federation and skaters have on whether they skate in this event or not?

ITA. I felt relieved to know that a 2 3A layout is one option.  I know her determination is very strong and she's working so hard to be ready with this layout in time for Sochi.  I hope her training is going well and she'll be able to perform the programs that she wants to skate at Sochi.  IIRC, Mao started to say that winning a medal, hopefully the best one, is one of her goals since she's chosen for the team Japan.  Before that she kept saying that winning medal is not her goal.  I assume she simply feels responsibility as a skater representing her country.  I also think she may be influenced by Tatsuki Machida who's been saying even before the nationals that a skater chosen for the Olympic team has responsibility to skate to win a medal. I actually don't care about medals and hope skaters will compete for themselves, not simply for their countries.  But it's Olympics.  Fried  I really hope she'll finish the game with big, big smiles.

Thank you minhoudi.  I'm glad to be of help for you guys who do not speak Japanese.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chapis

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:52 pm

But when will be named The teams for Sochi?, I hope she will do it, because it is a good practice before her individual comp. and thanks for The  interview translation  linglang. I wonder if Mai ask to Mao before The interview if she wants a questions specifically  Razz  may be Mao is totally concsious about all people talking about The "bad idea" of 2 3a in lp and she wants to give her reasons, that I thinks are very valid.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 4:44 pm

ilovethai wrote:
pearlyriver wrote:
ilovethai wrote:

Oh.. I was referring to her Long Program at the 1992 Olympics. She fell on her first 3A but landed her second one (the second 3A was not planned. She just threw it in).

It's also really interesting to note that Midori Ito skated to Piano Concerto No. 2 at the 1992 Olympics like Mao  Exclamation  although it was the third movement.. not first movement like Mao. What a wonderful story that would be if Mao wins the Olympic Gold Medal. Mao finishes the job that her idol, Midori Ito, set out to do for Japan 22 years ago... and also to become the first female triple axel jumper to win Olympics.

Midori was under a tremendous amount of pressure to win OGM for Japan in 1992.  As far as I remember (and I was young so I may not remember it correctly), the media kept saying her chance of winning OGM was so high and people's expectation were increasing.  Also the media kept saying she had to win technically because artistically she's not as good as Yamaguchi. We came to learn that her condition had been getting worse and she had been struggling with 3A in practice when we actually saw her struggling in warm-up and fell on her 3lz in SP.  People thought she would finish off the podium when she fell on her 3A in FS.  But, she didn't give up. She attempted 3A in place of 3lz after the fall on her first attempt.  And she nailed a huge, gorgeous 3A in the second half! It was really a great moment to witness.

Because of this experience, JSF started Nobeyama camp where young potential skaters are collected for training and assessment.  They realized that investing in only one skater wouldn't work and the pressure Midori was exposed to was really too much.

According to news articles after the nationals, Akiko was really in bad condition a week before the competition to an extent that Mr. Nagakubo felt he needed to suggest her withdrawal.  Because she was struggling in practice, she couldn't sleep at night and because of it her physical condition got worse the next day.  She fell in a vicious cycle.  It's understandable that she's under a huge pressure because she had her second Olympics at skate and she actually had meltdown a year earlier finishing after a young promising skater.  It's great that she overcome the pressure and won the national title.

I hope Mao will deal with psychological pressure well. She said in the interview she thinks she would be able to stay calm because she experienced the tension in Vancouver.  I think it depends on how well her training is going.  I really hope everything is working smoothly for her now.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 4:59 pm

shar wrote:

"According to Nikkan Sports, Asada's camp recently decided not to leave for Sochi in mid-January. It was said that Asada would train in Japan until early February. "

If this is true, i think this is a smart move for Mao, especially if it means she won't compete in the team event. Giving her more time to perfect her performances for the single events, which is where she should be shining.

I think this is the article that the poster referred to. http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140108-00000007-nksports-spo

According to it, Mao will go to Sochi at the beginning of Feb because her chance of skating for Team Event is high. There was a possibility for her to train in Moscow, at a rink which TAT uses for training. But Mao and Mr. Sato decided to stay and train at Chukyo, her base rink. She will leave Sochi after Team Event for Moscow or Armenia or other countries in Europe, which hasn't decided yet.

I don't know if it's good for her to take part in Team Event or not.  It will be a good practice for her but she may have fatigue.  Also if she UR her 3A there, the callers may become more tough on her 3A later.  It seems from what we saw at the Vancouver, the callers are not as strict as they are at other international competitions though.
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:14 pm

linglang wrote:
shar wrote:

I think this is the article that the poster referred to. http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140108-00000007-nksports-spo

According to it, Mao will go to Sochi at the beginning of Feb because her chance of skating for Team Event is high. There was a possibility for her to train in Moscow, at a rink which TAT uses for training. But Mao and Mr. Sato decided to stay and train at Chukyo, her base rink. She will leave Sochi after Team Event for Moscow or Armenia or other countries in Europe, which hasn't decided yet.

I don't know if it's good for her to take part in Team Event or not.  It will be a good practice for her but she may have fatigue.  Also if she UR her 3A there, the callers may become more tough on her 3A later.  It seems from what we saw at the Vancouver, the callers are not as strict as they are at other international competitions though.

Maybe that appears so, because the Olympics usually takes place at the time most skaters peak during the season, and because most skater deliberately try to be in their best condition at that time. just compare the performances of female skaters last flight in the last olympics, and it's clear when comparing their performances with how they did the rest of the season, that their best performance happened to be at the olympics.

Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:23 pm

linglang wrote:

But if she does well, it could make a good impression to the judges.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!
Page 10 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next