Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate

Go down 
+14
Batsuchan
Iceriver
sapphiresky
roma
Otchoto de mus :3
ballerinamao
dawnsherearequiet
silenceisgolden
Ken Himura
l-spiralmao
shar
polosatik
femariel
kisses
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
sapphiresky

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 pm

This thread is an amazing idea. I'm loving that we can keep all the quotes/articles about Mao here.

We should put links with commentators from other countries and Mao's free skate here too!
Back to top Go down
Iceriver
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 2:57 am

sapphiresky wrote:
This thread is an amazing idea. I'm loving that we can keep all the quotes/articles about Mao here.

We should put links with commentators from other countries and Mao's free skate here too!

Yes that would be great!  Very Happy We could put links from our respective countries and make a brief summary of what each commentator says if we feel like it. I'm still trying to find a link from rtve (Spanish TV) but I've only been able to find the events on their website, which is obviously geoblocked as almost everything nowadays  Sad . Even if I don't manage to find a link I'll probably write something about what our commentator said because she sounded super excited and said really nice things about Mao. I could translate the Italian comments too.

I'm curious to know what Tarasova said...I could hear she was really touched by Mao's performance. Any help?  sunny
Back to top Go down
silenceisgolden
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
silenceisgolden

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 3:43 am

Someone found
Jason is giving Mao standing ovation
Kevin is about to give SO
and Han is just before SO.
in this picture Laugh 

Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Untitl10
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 pm

kisses wrote:
From one of my favorite commentator, Dick Button (twice Olympic champion and five-time World Champion)

Dick Button ‏@PushDicksButton  Feb 20
Hate to say I told you so Beautiful triple axel Great performance doesn't everyone need a tension release?

This is one point that I have kind of forgotten about over the years.  Everyone keeps focusing on the fact that the triple axel is a difficult jump that is worth a lot of points, but what people seem to forget is that when Mao lands it cleanly, it is a gorgeous, aesthetically-pleasing jump.   Love Hearts  Such, a nice, tight rotation in the air!

This reminds me of Peggy Fleming commenting at 2008 Worlds that Mao does "the most beautiful triple axel in the world."

And this is somewhat unrelated, but I stumbled upon an interview from 2012 with a famous Ukrainian coach, Galina Kukhar, on FSU which expressed the same sentiment:
Quote :
AS: If you were Mao Asada's coach would you include a 3A in the programmes?
GK: The SP - no way. It's your chance to medal. There are just 3 jumping elements, how can you risk so much? Whether she should perform a 3A in general? Of course, it's so beautiful!

I agree! Yep!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Here's another interesting article I stumbled upon...it seems like a Russian sportswriter thought that Mao should have scored 8-9 points higher (at least that is what GoogleTranslate tells me)...maybe one of the Russian speakers on the forum can summarize?  Worship
http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/bladerunner/577190.html

And it seems he called Mao "heavenly," which of course I agree with.  Wub
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 3:39 am

Interesting article. I understand like 70% - I used to study Russian as a kid, but my vocabulary isn't very broad, and there are some phrases that I'm not familiar with. Still, I liked this part:

Quote :
I know what a samurai is. It's not a blockbuster hero. It's not a black-and-white film by Akira Kurosawa. I saw a samurai. It is - Mao Asada. In the short program I already knew how things are gonna be - Mao committed a harakiri using her triple axel, a jump that no other woman attempts. "Mao, Mao, don't you dare!" I screamed as she carried to death the dreams of her Olympic gold. "Will she give up now?" - the commentator asked. "The champions don't give up", - thank you for your answer, Ilya Averbukh. We always understood each other like friends.

Dripping blood, Mao came ot on the ice for her free skate and did what she's never done this season, and so much more following her Axel. So much that - I repeat - nobody has ever done in figure skating history.
(...)
Even if Mao received a well deserved 150 points of so, she still wouldn't be able to win.

But what are medals for a samurai? A triviality. A fly. There's only one prize for a samurai - immortality.

Perhaps somebody more fluent in Russian than me can summarize/translate the rest (or correct any mistakes I may have made - I have no clue what "мурзилка" is, and how to translate "снимется" into English to get the meaning right Sweatdrop)

Last edited by inskate on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 4:00 am

Another good article from Will Leitch, a journalist who attended a figure skating event for the first time:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68040394

He wrote a short impression on every lady in the competition (and some funny events like a volunteer accidentally taking a stuffed toy to their face), loved the entire event and encouraged his readers to watch figure skating in the future. However, his part about Mao was the longest and most moving:

Quote :
Mao Asada, Japan. One of the favorites coming into the Games, Asada had a disastrous short program yesterday and is all the way down at 16th place, essentially eliminating any chance at a medal. She had little reason other than pride to keep going.

And then there is a moment that it clicks.

Asada is the one person in this whole field who does the triple axel -- the most difficult move in the sport; only five women have ever done it international competition, including Asada -- and when she takes off and nails it 10 seconds in, suddenly, this unseasoned observer no longer finds anything funny or unusual about this sport: It is simply beautiful. For the next four minutes, Asada glides about a foot above the ice, flying around the arena, rising into the rafters, lifting out of the arena and into the sky. You will not convince me this did not happen.

The best part about watching an event like this in person is that you do not have the artificial viewpoint of the closeup. You are watching, from beginning to end, a choreographed routine, something that has been fussed over and altered and honed to perfection by people who have devoted their lives to this work. It is, more than anything, a story. When it clicks -- and if you are here, it will click for you -- figure skating seems to represent the most logical, natural movements a body can make. You stop counting falls and making snide observations about the atmosphere. You stop doing much of anything but watch.

Asada's routine, which earned the third-highest free skate score of the day (behind only the gold and silver Medalists), made everything fall into place. This is why they're all cheering. I stood at attention and found myself profoundly grateful to be there.

Also:
Quote :
I missed most of Li's skate, which is for the best; Asada required a break to regroup.

Too bad that he missed Zijun, who's a lovely skater, but this part reminded me of the comments of people who watched Mao's performance live, and said the same thing - that they needed to mentally recharge after Mao's performance, or that it was a good thing Mao was the last skater in her group, because it would be a challenge to concentrate on the next skater (not to mention, it would be a hard act for any skater to follow). And it made me think about one of the PCS requirements (for PE):
Quote :
The skater radiates energy resulting in an invisible connection with the audience.

I think I need to make some "cathartic tears in my eyes" smilie somewhere, because there's no smilie to properly express my emotions right now.  Unconscious
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm

inskate wrote:
Another good article from Will Leitch, a journalist who attended a figure skating event for the first time:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68040394

Nice find, inskate! I was about to post it too. Anyway, I was checking out morozombie's site and this was what he wrote in one of the comments:

Quote :
Mao Asada: SP made me die a little on the inside, LP was kickass and would almost certainly have scored quite a few pts higher if she skated in the final group. 3F-3Lo looked rotated to me, 2A-3T more borderline.

I'll have to say that until now I cannot understand why 3A was called clean, but the 3f-3Lo caught they eyes of tech panel.  scratch

There was also a post by a casual fan of FS who had a lot of good things to say about Mao's FS:

Quote :
Last night I watched as the Ladies Freestyle Program unfolded before my eyes. Every performance was magnificent, but there was one in particular that stirred my heart.

Mao Asada of Japan skated first in the television line up. After a terrible performance in the short program, Asada was in sixteenth place. A silver medalist in the 2010 Olympic games, Asada’s hopes of winning a medal in Sochi were all but lost.

Four minutes on ice stood between Asada and her final chance for Olympic glory.

After making several major mistakes in her short program I watched as Asada fought back tears of defeat while listening to the judges’ scores. Tonight I watched her fight for the performance of a lifetime and when she cried joyful, proud, victorious tears at the end of her program I cried too.

I knew I had just witnessed something amazing, something magical. A glimpse of God and His work in me, His work in all of us.

I am hardly an expert on figure skating, but it seems to me that Asada had a choice to make as she stood in place, poised and ready to skate. She could offer the judges, the audience, the world her skill, her beauty, her passion, or she could crumple beneath the weight of fear, failure, and the pressure cooked voice of her critics.

As the world watched her skate it was clear that despite her fear and failures of the past, despite what the critics might do or say this girl was rising to the occasion, offering her heart and everything within her.

In the end, despite her flawless performance, Asada’s scores were not enough for her to win a medal but I’d like to believe the personal victory she gained from her skate was worth more than gold.

Excerpt from: http://www.onceuponawriter.com/2014/02/today-was-a-fairy-tale-13/
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 pm

inskate wrote:
Interesting article. I understand like 70% - I used to study Russian as a kid, but my vocabulary is very broad, and there are some phrases that I'm not familiar with. Still, I liked this part:

Quote :
I know what a samurai is. It's not a blockbuster hero. It's not a black-and-white film by Akira Kurosawa. I saw a samurai. It is - Mao Asada. In the short program I already knew how things are gonna be - Mao committed a harakiri using her triple axel, a jump that no other woman attempts. "Mao, Mao, don't you dare!" I screamed as she carried to death the dreams of her Olympic gold. "Will she give up now?" - the commentator asked. "The champions don't give up", - thank you for your answer, Ilya Averbukh. We always understood each other like friends.

Dripping blood, Mao came ot on the ice for her free skate and did what she's never done this season, and so much more following her Axel. So much that - I repeat - nobody has ever done in figure skating history.
(...)
Even if Mao received a well deserved 150 points of so, she still wouldn't be able to win.

But what are medals for a samurai? A triviality. A fly. There's only one prize for a samurai - immortality.

Perhaps somebody more fluent in Russian than me can summarize/translate the rest (or correct any mistakes I may have made - I have no clue what "мурзилка" is, and how to translate "снимется" into English to get the meaning right Sweatdrop)

Thank you, inskate!! WorshipWorship It was really nice to see even Russian journalists say nice things about Mao.  flower

And that reminds me, thanks so, so much to ~*AAA*~ for translating the CCTV comments for us!  Many Hearts  I feel like they really understand what Mao skates for...
(The post is here: http://www.maoasadaforum.com/t1277p840-sochi-olympics-2014-65339ladies-competition65341 )
Back to top Go down
let`s talk
Double Axel
Double Axel
let`s talk

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 am

Back to top Go down
emory903
Double Axel
Double Axel
emory903

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Thank you for that link. I love that you can really see the passion she puts into her step sequence in A, but you can see the speed of it with B.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate   Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Everyone's reaction to Mao's Olympic Free Skate
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2