Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao: post-Sochi news and articles

Go down 
+53
let`s talk
linglang
silenceisgolden
COHK
l-spiralmao
Iceriver
Samurai Mao
koala_lover
maowataiyo
Tripleaxelqueen
ballerinamao
zarinaballerina
bebece
WowMao
Haidogirl
girlgirllo
kawaiimao
bibi
Toru
illani
p351
BowbowDaijin
minhoudi
kisses
whiteboots2013
Rose
W0rldTrav3l3r
Aero
roma
beautifulmao
Abdiel
sweetdream
Otchoto de mus :3
MyMao
Lady_in_black
emory903
ilovethai
aoi88
Batsuchan
sapphiresky
maofan93
itsonlykat
BounceAround
mini34ans
breynows
chapis
polosatik
nita
Mao_Asada_sunrise
inskate
shar
pearlyriver
klarification
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
silenceisgolden
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
silenceisgolden

Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Mao was in Hollywood on August 17 !?
With figure skaters, Alida Gonzalez  and Giada Rosso.
Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 E0199610
Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 20140810
via aloha0508
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 3:49 am

silenceisgolden wrote:

Yes, Mao was in LA for a while, probably until 2 or 3 days ago. It seems that she was visiting her best friend, Ayaka Morimoto in LA.
She completed the #ALSIceBucketChallenge together with Ayaka, and the video posted here:
http://websta.me/p/790578851375180132_8357521

(If you follow Ayaka's IG, there are plenty of photos, short video clips of their touring together around LA. They seem to have much fun together!)

Glad to know that Mao's really taking vacation with her best friend.
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 5:13 am

Thank you for the pictures and the video clips Silence is Golden and CONK. The show with Mao skating around the ice rink wearing a football helmet while the four stooges fell over themselves and collided with each other trying to catch her was really funny. I'll probably watch that again for a laugh. Great job thinking up the name "four stooges", Silence is golden. I haven't seen that show since I was a kid. As for the short clip of the Ice Bucket Challenge, it looks like Mao is "making a big splash" in Los Angeles. She may even get a star on the walk of fame in Hollywood. It's ironic that she is going to Los Angeles where all the stars are to get a vacation from all her fame in Japan.  

There is a discussion going on now at goldenskate forum about Mao and why her GOE scores were so low at the following thread:  
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51603-Highest-scores-ever-recorded-Ladies-(part-II)/page9

I wrote a post there that helped get it started when I saw this list and noticed Mao was not in the top 10 in GOE for the LP, despite having some of the greatest LP's ever. I hope some of you join in and give Mao your support. :

Highest GOE in FS:
10. Ashley Wagner 10.51 2012 4CC
9. Carolina Kostner 10.59 2013 worlds
8. Carolina Kostner 10.92 2013 euros
7. Mirai Nagasu 11.14 2011 4CC
6. Yuna Kim 12.20 2014 olympics
5. Yuna Kim 12.60 2009 teb
4. Miki Ando 13.37 2011 4CC
3. Adelina Sotnikova 14.11 2014 olympics
2. Yuna Kim 16.51 2013 worlds
1. Yuna Kim 17.40 2010 olympics

Here is what I wrote at the site:

I'll probably stir up a hornet's nest with this comment, but I think it is ridiculous that Mao is not even in the top 10 in GOE considering the great performances she gave in the Sochi LP and Worlds LP. among many others: Grand Prix Final 2007, Four Continents 2008 and Worlds LP 2010. It seems like grace of movement in and out of the jump and
beautifully tight symmetrical revolutions are not given the credit they should get and what about her flexible and exquisite spins, spirals, step sequences and elegant lines and extensions? In my view, Mao is an example of deflation or maybe she is just a magnificent misfit for the COP system. I knew deep down she had a beautiful, rebel spirit. Honestly, I just watch skaters I like and the judges do what they want anyway. But, it all seems like power, speed and height of jumps are king in GOE scoring to the exclusion of the qualities I mentioned above. My best friend with no preferred skater said that Mao had the most beautiful jumps in Sochi. So what's with giving her such low GOE because he's not the only one who thinks this way.

The fact that Mao has won 3 world championships with such low GOE in the LP speaks volumes about her valiant fight for victory, and in my opinion raises questions about the legitimacy of the scoring. Reputation based downgrades that persist in perpetuity whether the jumps are corrected or not. In the Worlds LP 2014, the judges initially gave Mao in her LP over +1.5 GOE's on her triple axel and almost as high on the triple flip / triple loop, but then they were downgraded to doubles with a GOE of 0 once the tech crew rudely intruded, which is just one baffling example.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 pm

COHK wrote:
silenceisgolden wrote:

Yes, Mao was in LA for a while, probably until 2 or 3 days ago. It seems that she was visiting her best friend, Ayaka Morimoto in LA.
She completed the #ALSIceBucketChallenge together with Ayaka, and the video posted here:
http://websta.me/p/790578851375180132_8357521

(If you follow Ayaka's IG, there are plenty of photos, short video clips of their touring together around LA. They seem to have much fun together!)

Glad to know that Mao's really taking vacation with her best friend.

I love this! cheers  Even though I miss her like crazy and selfishly want her to come back  Embarassed , I'm so happy to see that she's enjoying life.

Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am

Here is a video of Mao in Tokyo attending a launch event for Arsoa.
She looks really beautiful in that white dress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upTCRb0t0A8

Also, there is a poll right now at fsuniverse:

Best winning performance by a Japanese lady at the World Championships

If you are a member, please cast your vote for Mao.

If not, you can sign up and vote. It usually takes about 1-2 weeks to get approved through email.

The poll doesn't close until February 22, 2015.  

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/best-winning-performance-by-a-japanese-lady-at-the-world-championships.93008/

There is another poll with Mao in it as well:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/yet-another-ladies-skating-poll-won-the-free-skate-but-not-the-world-title-that-year.93011/ Mao is in the running here for Czardas at 2007 Worlds

Last edited by WowMao on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:12 pm

WowMao wrote:

Thank you, WowMao
I like the part when she got to asked about practices after her summer shows. Mao answered without hesitation: "Right now I'm taking rest." Then later on in the clip she was asked about GP season to start soon, she says that she'll watch (the competitions, most likely the broadcastings), only if she has time.

Here's a longer video clip of the interview section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDfsha_2tyk

I'll try to provide some rough translation below:

- The interviewer starts by paying compliment to Mao's white "marshmallow"-like dress, and asks Mao to turn around.
(Mao jokes about not doing any jump but complies to the request)
- Mao explains that she's been using the facial soap by Arsoa for a long time
(The interviewer pays compliment to Mao's skin condition. Mao answers: it's in good condition!Razz )
-The interviewer asks when she started using the soap? Mao answers she was abroad for a competition, but forgot to bring the facial washer. She borrowed the soap from others and has simple started using the soap since then.
- They ask Mao about the new visual AD poster and play the old video when Mao visited countryside
- The reporter asks about the summer. Mao answers that she was in LA, and visited places including Disney Land, Hollywood and seasides with her friends. She also tried circus trapeze...she said it was kind of scary.
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks CONK for the translation and the longer video version of the interview. What a contrast between the beautiful marshmellow dress and working in jeans and a shirt in the dirt on a farm. Using the soap must be what got Mao so clean.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 am

COHK wrote:
WowMao wrote:

Thank you, WowMao
I like the part when she got to asked about practices after her summer shows. Mao answered without hesitation: "Right now I'm taking rest." Then later on in the clip she was asked about GP season to start soon, she says that she'll watch (the competitions, most likely the broadcastings), only if she has time.

Here's a longer video clip of the interview section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDfsha_2tyk

I'll try to provide some rough translation below:

- The interviewer starts by paying compliment to Mao's white "marshmallow"-like dress, and asks Mao to turn around.
(Mao jokes about not doing any jump but complies to the request)
- Mao explains that she's been using the facial soap by Arsoa for a long time
(The interviewer pays compliment to Mao's skin condition. Mao answers: it's in good condition!Razz )
-The interviewer asks when she started using the soap? Mao answers she was abroad for a competition, but forgot to bring the facial washer. She borrowed the soap from others and has simple started using the soap since then.
- They ask Mao about the new visual AD poster and play the old video when Mao visited countryside
- The reporter asks about the summer. Mao answers that she was in LA, and visited places including Disney Land, Hollywood and seasides with her friends. She also tried circus trapeze...she said it was kind of scary.

Thank you COHK and WowMao for posting the video and summarizing it! Daisies for you

Oh gosh, she looks beautiful and with almost zero make up on.Shocked I'm so jealous.
I really like her hair style from the farm. I wish she'd worn it at competition as well, instead of the classical bun.
She looks happy and looks like she's enjoying life. cheers
That poster though...simply stunning. Swoon
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

I am posting this website here of my favorite commentary for Mao's Sochi freeskate. It is in Russian and it is the 8th screen down with a little blue Poccciya (that is Russiya) and a red number 1 next to it in  the top right of the screen. Please see the translation below

http://skating.livedoor.biz/archives/51877523.html

It also has the sps, freeskates and expos for all the women and men at Sochi and an incredible number of comments in Japanese about Mao's freeskate. I have had a lot of fun trying to puzzle through the cryptic translations produced through google translate.

This one is the best to me, with Tarasova's being second. I can understand most of the words, and it is so much more profound in depth, spirit, empathy, understanding, praise and eloquence compared to anything you will hear in English. Mao obviously touched and exposed the Russian soul with it's sense of overcoming tragedy and surviving with this performance and the help of Rachmaninoff.

Translation    
First announcer: I never imagined Mao would be skating like this because she came here to at least."  

Second announcer:  Awful!  

First announcer: It is such a pity that she fell into such a big hole in 16th place. It is a tragedy for Mao herself and her huge army of supporters in Japan. She's behind by almost 20 points. Nothing is left.

Second announcer: She is in the Guiness Book of World records for her triple axels. Let's watch!

First announcer: She did it. She did a simply magnificent triple axel!  She is the only woman who executes this. Triple flip / Triple loop.  Superb! This is Mao Asada. Then, in a soft voice, he says, "2nd Concerto Rachmaninoff is one of my most beloved musical compositions. Her figure skating suits it very well. Very expressive. Pleasing. Double Axel / Triple Toe. Yes of course today, Mao, this is as  it should be. Important that it wasn't too late. Triple Salchow. Triple Flip / Double loop / Double loop. Insane competitor. She's skating the maximum level of difficulty today. Triple loop.

Second announcer: She's completed all her jumping elements.

First announcer: (As Mao does her spins ending in Biellmann) What she did yesterday has past. She's simply skating perfectly. Clean free program. She's the essence of a fighter: a true samurai!

First announcer: (step sequence) The crowd the crowd is into it. Listen to how the crowd (hall) is clapping. Today it is the performance of an Olympic medalist.

Second man: Interruption: Free program

First announcer: Free program of course a pity of course because 20 points. Mao today I think it will be a huge score. Today, everything fell into place.  

Second announcer: Bravo! Bravo! Very Well Done! She starts to cry. She feels offended. She is offended with herself because the short was completely the opposite.

First announcer: I think she would have been the Olympic Champion. It is the performance that only an Olympic Champion can do.
(This took a lot of guts to say, especially for a Russian to say this in Russian on Russian TV with two Russian skaters yet to skate for medals!!!)  

Second announcer: Well done! Simply unbelievable story. When Mao lost to Yuna Kim in Vancouver, Mao decided to reconstruct her figure skating, learned the basics?, then the jumps, every hour how to land, and that period was very difficult. It was absolutely psychologically demoralizing. She couldn't deal with her defeat to Yuna Kim. Now, she has at last reconstructed, rebuilt the look of her skating. In December 2011 a great tragedy happened at the time of the Grand Prix Final. Her mother went into the hospital and Mao didn't return in time. And then Mao went to America where Lori Nichol made the program Marry Poppins to take her mind off the tragedy.

I am not altogether happy with the last part talking about Yuna Kim, but one of the things I like about this commentary is the honesty. For better or worse, Kim was probably one of the reasons Mao reworked her jumps. I always thought that Mao focused too much on Kim's scores when there would have been no way for her to get them because of the judging at Worlds 2010. And because of the COP's obsession with speed. But, he says that she finally rebuilt her skating and overcame this. Most importantly, a Russian stated on Russian TV that Mao gave the performance of an Olympic champion in an Olympics in Russia! I also love the true samurai comment.
Back to top Go down
BounceAround

BounceAround

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks for the translation, WowMao! Isn't "First announcer" from the video Maxim Trankov?
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 1:46 am

BounceAround wrote:
Thanks for the translation, WowMao! Isn't "First announcer" from the video Maxim Trankov?

I'm glad you liked it and thanks for the information. His commentary was so expressive and genuine through the ups and downs of emotion. I can verify that Maxim Trankov did announce on Russian TV and that he won the pairs competition, but I don't know for sure. It probably is. What makes you think it was him? Where did you hear?
Back to top Go down
BounceAround

BounceAround

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 pm

I thought the voice sounded like Maxim's, and I've seen other fans suggest online that it was he.
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 5:20 pm

Bouncearound- I'm sure you are right because I found an old post saying there were 3 broadcasts from Sochi on Russian television: one with Sutskaya, one with Tarasova and one with Trankov. So, it must be him. I have never seen him skate, but I really like him already. He is so honest and brave to say what he did about Mao's performance.    

Here's some news from rosewood at fsuniverse  http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-mao-cheer-thread-starting-on-her-23rd-bd-3.89260/page-16 :

One more news about Mao. I posted earlier on this thread that Mai did bungy jump in New Zealand, and it turned out that it was for another TV show! Yay!

TV Tokyo will air a travel show? named "Mao&Mai Asada-TRY and GO-" on 21st September from 16:00(Japan Time)
Pictures http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/official/asada-trygo/

Mao announced her break and it enabled her to have relaxed time with her sister Mai at last. They went on a three days trip to New Zealand. They tried various things there. They experiended working as food reporters in restaurants, learned traditional Maori dance, tried jet boards--they realy loved exciting challenges. They tried bungy jump for the first time! They hepled feeding cows and pigs in a farm. Mao learned home cooking from a mom of a family living there. The climax of the trip was her skating on the natural ice. She dreamed of skating on the natural ice. However, the unsually warm winter made it difficult. Well, did she really make it?

Here is another post describing what Mao did on her vacation in Los Angeles and what she has done since World Championships again posted by rosewood:

However, in a sense, she'd already done that doron when she stayed with one of her best friends in LA for a couple of weeks in the middle of August. Smile It was a totally private vacation. She looked really relaxed threre. I saw photos in which she enjoyed shopping(I guess she bought bathing suits), did funny things on a beach such as doing cartwheels and junping up together with several friends, took photos on a hill from where one can enjoy beautiful night view, helped her friend with cooking, did sightseeing in Hollywood, enjoyed rides in Disneyland...etc etc. She did the ice bucket challenge as well. The ice looked melted under the sun, though. Her friend posted the challenge on her facebook and peole noticed that Mao was with her. I'm glad she had good time without being bothered by media people. I found she's a master of stealth traveling. Wink Before knowing her vacation in LA, I was a bit afraid when I read a crappy article that paparazzi's eyes were on her to shoot her in bathing suit since she indicated visiting Okinawa(where is famouse for beautiful beaches) for doron(=private vacation). I think it was a good choice for her to visit LA where she's not a stranger since she once stayed there to work with RA. I'm glad one of her dreams came true. The dream to travel without taking skating boots.Smile

*Mao after announcing her break*
Lots of ice shows and several live TV & radio shows-->Kazakhstan show-->Toronto for choreography with Lori-->filming "Mystery hunter" in Europe-->back in school(takig classes and preparing for THE ICE)-->filming CMs-->THE ICE tour--> sponsor's events & opening ceremony of the last stop of her exhibition for which she transformed into Maiko style-->private vacation in LA for a couple of weeks--.>filming a TV show in New Zealand with her sister-->(I'm not sure about this)taking scuba diving classes in Okinawa to take a lisence-->the second semester just started from September. Cheering
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 am

rosewood at fsuniverse provided a picture of Mao finishing her scuba diving training.

Look closely and find which one is Mao!
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/the_dives2008/...f3da565ece4452

Brief summary of her message. Full post at: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/inde....89260/page-16

Chukyo University students have successfully completed their scuba diving training and they have all received certification as 'open water divers'. We are really happy that Mao-chan took part in it.

So, Mao took part in the scuba diving classes without being bothered by any paparazzis. The scuba diving classes took place in Hamamatsu which is a few hours drive from Nagoya(her home town).

I also found this post on the Team Japan thread at golden skate posted by GermaricanMix at http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?50250-Team-Japan/page22.

It is a video of of Mao, Daisuke, Miki, Oda and Takahiko playing ping pong. The show has three parts and has translations in English under each video. It is really cute, but the video is 3 or 4 years old.
Here is the link: http://kuuchuu-sampo.blogspot.com/2011/01/01022011-english.html

I'm glad that Mao is happy now that she has finally taken the plunge into a new way of life with bungee jumping and scuba diving, after spending so much time jumping into the air in preparation for her record setting 8 triple program in Sochi. It's sad when someone I've loved watching for so long is gone from competition with the launch of a new season. The usual lift in emotions that comes from the anticipation of seeing her newest form of athletic and artistic expression sinks as I seek to find some new skater to take her place in vain, though the heart and guts in Wakaba and spare elegance in Evgenia remind me of her in some ways. But, only when someone as unique bursts on the scene will this feeling of emptiness be wiped clean and who knows if that will ever be .
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 2:44 am

Filming of Mao and Mai new CM footage for Sato Pharm (Cold medicine).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINcmOmWtHs
@1:50 She had her hair cut for this CM.  Her expression when the hair stylist put the scissors to her hair.  Dance  

Press conference on New CM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l07ikwyCppg

Summary
Mao and Mai sang a jingle for the CM.
Mao said she used to sang songs while she did skating practice because the practice continued for many hours and she used songs to change the mood.
They sang the song "let it go" together at Karaoke.
They were asked to comment about Kei Nishikori who finished winning silver at US open tennis.
About juniors and other skaters:
Mao: After she entered the senior level, she set a goal each year to increase the difficulty from a previous year and worked hard each year. She hopes skaters will pursue their own goals.
Mai: The season has started for the junior skaters already, not only in seniors but also in juniors there are many promising skaters for Olympic contenders, we would be happy if people also pay attention to junior skaters and support the figure skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uis3sz6x7VM
About the jingle and dance
Mao: When she sang the jingle in shooting she felt strange because she had got used to singing the song to the recorded vocal.  She checked her song just before and thought it's OK. Because she's been practicing dance since she was 5 years old, she thinks it helped her a lot singing while dancing.
Maybe you can become a musical actress?
Mao: No way (LOL)
Mai: The song parts were recorded separately so she doesn't know how it went for Mao though when she finished singing, she saw a staff member tilted his head as if he didn't like it.  She was so worried because the person said nothing at all. She checked the film later and the song part was inserted very well and she feels relieved very much now.

They go to Karaoke often usually after dinner.  It usually Mao who says let's go to Karaoke. Last time when they went to Karaoke, the first song they sang was "let it go" and they moved their arms and bodies and they were immersed in the glow of the song.

What challenges you want to take up?
Mai: She is a sport caster now.  She knew only figure skating before but now she experiences different sports and tells people how they are like.  She wants to convey the joy of sports and introduce new sports to people and she will do her best.
Mao: She's taking a season off this year and it's time for her to think about what she wants to do in the future. She is a university student and her summer vacation will be over soon.  She wants to do what she feels want to do and should do while studying at university.

Message to their fans
Mai:  This CM is a musical type one and she hopes people will enjoy watching it and singing to it.
Mao: This is the 11th version and she's sure people will enjoy it. If you caught a cold, please use "Sutona" (product name).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P10W6zI4WUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tbma5wuECs
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 2:57 am

Thank you for the ping pong video, Wow Mao.
I remember when the Vancouver Olympics finished, figure skaters were invited to some sports shows, like Tokyo Friends Park.  I really liked those shows and I really miss them.  It's good that Mao enjoys her university and private life without being chased by camera. But, to be honest I miss her so much. I've been extremely busy these days and I was able not to think about figure skating so much though, when the season starts officially soon, I'm sure I will miss her even more than now.  I really hope she will come back but at the same time I feel it may be too much to expect.

The sport show you posted is a regular new year TV program, so I hope they will make the one next year too and invite Mao and other skaters. FYI, Kei Nishikori is a regular guest player for tennis match and that's always hilarious without fail. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks for the back story to the ping pong match. Like you, I really feel a lot of emptiness in this upcoming season without Mao competing. I didn't get to see a lot of her competitions for most of her career: either it wasn't shown on TV, I didn't know where to look or I was busy so I couldn't watch, but I remember seeing her perform Czardas live in 2007 and immediately seeing and feeling something special about her. I got a little upset during her Grand Prix season in 2009, and watched her come back to perform better in Vancouver and a little bit in Worlds 2010. I finally figured out how to do live streaming the last 2 Grand Prix seasons, but I still missed 4CC's and Worlds 2013. I also saw her videos on youtube the last couple of years and this combined with Sochi and Worlds 2014 made me realize how much I was mesmerized and how much I identified with her skating.

So, it was the sense of profound beauty, purity, subtlety, musicality and athleticism in her performances that overwhelmed me. And there was always this profound soulfulness and expressiveness in her eyes. I really have never seen such a combination in any other skater and I don't really think any objective scoring, even if it isn't corrupt, can do justice to it.

I agree with you that it may be too much to expect for her to come back. I really don't think she will, especially with the scoring irregularities, new edge and ur rules, and bad tech calls at the end of last season and in the Grand Prix Final. I have had a lot of trouble dealing with it myself. I can only imagine how relieved she must feel to have it put behind her, especially after giving her best performances and finally justifying the reworking of her jumps in her performances. If she does come back, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Here is a brief clip from a TV show that will airing on September 21 on TV Tokyo with Mao and Mai in New Zealand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGxZu4qKhIU

Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 11:00 am

Here is a preview of a travel show to New Zealand with Mao and Mai that will air on September 21 on TV Tokyo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGxZu4qKhIU

I wish I were having this much fun!
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Here are two polls from fsuniverse that Mao is either winning or tied for 1st so far, but there has been no voting for a week or so.

Mao's Czardas performance at Worlds 2007 may not have officially won Mao her first World Championship, but the voting indicates that people really loved it and remembered how great it was. Her Czardas performance at 2007 Worlds is what made me like Mao.It's her first real tear jerker and redemption performance.

Here's the performance in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yiQwm_VtrU

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/yet-another-ladies-skating-poll-won-the-free-skate-but-not-the-world-title-that-year.93011/page-2#post-4320889

Tied with Midori Ito. I totally love Mao's Rach 2, but I think her 2010 performance should have gotten more votes. I really love Bells of Moscow too. It has her best spirals, spins and poses in my opinion, 2 triple axels, great step sequence and the one handed Biellman with her hand cupped against her chest and her head lifted up as if pleading to the Almighty for a drink from the river of Life, since Mao was trying to capture the spirit of Rachmaninoff, who wrote the composition when he imagined he was buried alive and he was trying desperately to escape so he could survive.

Here is the best copy I can find of her Worlds LP 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gw3ZBgPSlY

Here is the best copy I can find of her Worlds 2010 (this one was really hard for me to find):
浅田真央(mao asada) World of S. Rachmaninoff ~ Bells of Moscow _ Piano Concerto No. 2

Here is the poll: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/best-winning-performance-by-a-japanese-lady-at-the-world-championships.93008/

You can also vote for Mao at the following thread at Golden Skate for her best SP and LP from the last quad. Her Nocturne performance is currently winning for best SP and her Rach 2 is in 2nd, though many people's choices haven't been counted because they weren't written in the right format (1,2, and 3). Mao's LP would be doing better, if these people were counted.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51879-Your-top-programs-from-the-last-quad
Back to top Go down
BowbowDaijin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
BowbowDaijin

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 9:22 pm

The season is going to start.

Messed Olympics had ruined the sport. Sotnikova was a victim for the country to
earn more gold medal and the country was so happy with 2 both ladies who got
gold, Sotnikova and Lipniskaia (I hope Lipniskaia will earn World title before puberty
finish her career).
Mao had pulled the standard of the sport but the judge didn't care and treated her
bad.
Before the season started, I had rewatched the controversy between Kim and Sotnikova.
What I found out is that neither of them was good as those Mao's FS and Kostner.
Sotnikova had a bad combination jump, though her 2A-3T was very good. Her score
was exactly inflated. I don't know why she can have more score just because she did
it "with heart". Apparently, Kim looked exhausted and not top in form and the girl
who was named Galactica inflated queen still got inflated score so it was the fight of
who will got inflated score more and that is not the sport anymore.

After seeing both program, I was doubted why Mao had that lower score  to them and someone
reminded me that she had bad score on SP so to be in first group, she will not get any
inflated score. (that should be a new World Record of FS by its elegance and full of triples.
It was absolutely perfect.) And that made the score of FP sounds weird. Why do you have to judge
upon SP?  If it is the best FP you have to say it the best, not putting it lower than other.
It is weirder to know that that program was not 1st in the game bacause it was not performed
in the last group. Is this really a sport or Russia Got Talent?
When people found out the score, they cannot understand the standard of the federation.
We can appreciate it as one of the show. And I will hate figure skating in Olympic forever.

I don't want to blame any but figure skating in the Olympics mostly based on politics. I like
Arakawa's Turandot program at Turin which is loved by the audience as their beloved
Pavarotti also sang in that event but I think she just completed her low grade program.
She smiled all the time as this is the best program but it was not challenging though.
Doubled jump many times and that is also not respectful to Slutskaya who slipped the ice
but still graceful.

Last moment, I watched Mao's SP at World 2014. This program stole my heart. It is exactly
elegant and smooth. Actually, I don't like Chopin's Nocturne and I don't understand why
Mao usually used the theme of "First Love". The song is not like that first love image but
even so her elegant movement in every step made me feel disappointed that she could not
bring it in the Olympic. I loved to know that it is new World Record for SP too but I still
think that it is inflated too (by home crowd advantage?) because Kim's last World Record
program was inflated too much just only because it was at Olympic, the place where every
thing was inflated to please the audience but for the skaters of last group only.

When Mao is gone, my attention to this sport declined. Though male competition is challenging
with Hanyu, who is very good to see too. Sotnikova has to show that she was good enough
but I think she has pressure a lot and I am afraid that her career is not too long.
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks for your post Bowbowdaijin. Here's how I fee about some of your comments.  

"Mao had pulled the standard of the sport but the judge didn't care and treated her
bad.
"

Agree with this.

"I loved to know that it is new World Record for SP too but I still
think that it is inflated too (by home crowd advantage?)
"

Disagree strongly with this. Mao received only +8.32 points in GOE, compared to +8.65 points in GOE for Kostner and +8.3 for Lipnitskaya.
She also received -1.61 in PCS in comparison to Kostner (35.85 to 37.46), even though I felt Mao's performance was more artistic and intricate. Also, remember that Mao uses fewer crossovers to build up speed,  which apparently is not rewarded in PCS though it is supposed to be. If anything, it seems to me she should have broken it by more than she did.

"When Mao is gone, my attention to this sport declined. Though male competition is challenging
with Hanyu, who is very good to see too.
"

Agree with this, though I did like Kanako's 4CC's Lp earlier this year. Hanyu is also great to watch. I am actually more excited by women's juniors, Wakaba Higuchi, and Evgenia Medvedeva and Maria Sotskova who I enjoy much more than Lipnitskaya or Sotnikova, Yuka Nagai to a lesser extent, though they don't come close to Mao.  

"Sotnikova has to show that she was good enough"

It is not Adelina's fault. I actually kind of like her personally because I can understand enough Russian to get the sense that she is a good person who really likes Mao. My anger is directed at the ISU. However, there is nothing Sotnikova could ever do to show she was good enough to score over 7 points higher than Mao in the LP at Sochi because she should have scored much lower than Mao. I know Mao and Adelina are friends, but this is about getting the credit that is due on the big stage after years of painful effort (and for Mao many more years), not about taking Adelina's side because she is close to Mao. Just think: the record books will forever show that Adelina scored over 7 points higher with (mistakes) than the great Mao Asada skating one of if not the greatest clean LP skate ever after the hardship of reworking her jumps for 4 years and missing her first Olympics because of an absurd ISU age rule (at a time when the Olympics wasn't corrupt). To a lesser extent, I also feel this way about Kim's scores.

1. How does Mao, who has the most difficult tech program by 5 points with no obvious mistakes (other than flutz) and who is a multi-world champion skating the best program of her life, get more than 7 points lower in overall score than Adelina, a skater who has never medaled at worlds or the Grand Prix Final and who had a two footed landing, flutz and obvious ur?

2. How does Mao's program with 5 points more in base tech score clean with only a flutz get 2.5 points less in overall tech scores than Adelina with a 2 footed landing, step-out and flutz?

3. How did Mao skating with only a flutz and no obvious mistakes get 2 underrotation calls on a 3F and 3T (even though the 3F call was widely criticized) when Adelina's obvious flutz and obvious ur are all overlooked? To my eyes, I didn't see any obvious urs in Mao's program by the way. Maybe I need the special perspective that comes from the once suspended Ukrainian tech judge Yuri Balkov to see them properly.

4. How did Mao, a multi-world champion who has won the Grand Prix Final 4 times and who skated what many consider to be one of the best if not the best ladies freeskate ever, get almost 5 points less (almost the same amount as the difference in BV tech scores) in PCS than Adelina? Adelina's average PCS in the LP during the Grand Prix Season was also 7-9 points lower, not 4-5 points higher than Mao's. That's a difference of about 12-14 points in just PCS in the LP.

5. How does Mao get 6 +3 in GOE, while Adelina gets 33 +3 in GOE with a double footed landing and a step-out?

6. How did Mao get less than +1 GOE on all her jumps, while Adelina got over +1 on all her jumps except the obvious step out, with many of her jumps getting more than +1.5 GOE ? Granted, Adelina has superior height and power in her jumps, but compare this to Mao's superior posture, symmetry and tightness of spiral, and fluidity and intricacy of body movement in and out of her jumps. Or maybe this has become irrelevant to a scoring system set up by speed skaters, with a boss named "Speedy" who openly admits he doesn't understand figure skating.

7. How did Mao's step sequence that had consistently gotten level 4 all season and that brought many people to tears with its profound beauty and agility get a lower GOE than Adelina's step sequence, which had gotten level 2 and 3 all season, but became Level 4 with high GOE in Sochi.

8. How does a program frequently mentioned on forums, youtube, twitter, by former world champions and other social media as one of the all-time greatest freeskates barely get a 3rd place finish, while a program that is not mentioned with this level of reverence on any site gets a 1st place finish and beats the program by more than 7 points?

It is not Adelina's fault, but as one of my friends who was not a fan of either skater said when he was watching, "Man she (Mao) is waaaay better than the one who won Gold."
The sad thing is that he would not even have seen Mao's performance, if I hadn't showed it to him, which is probably the case for most viewers and would have just assumed that Adelina was better.   

I personally believe Mao (who was deflated) would have placed above Adelina, Gracie and Yulia(all of whom were inflated), if the whole competition (SP and LP) had been scored fairly. We are talking about major score manipulation (tech calls, GOEs, and PCS) in two programs. Mao would have probably scored higher in the SP as well (no ur call and no level 3 call on step sequence).

Last edited by WowMao on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 2:27 am

Here is a video link for Mao's travel show with Mai filmed in New Zealand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbtsOmDG_DM

You can find a translation at the following website: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/inde....89260/page-16

Looks like a beautiful and entertaining program.

Last edited by WowMao on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 4:19 am

WowMao wrote:
Thanks for your post Bowbowdaijin. Here's how I fee about some of your comments.  

"Mao had pulled the standard of the sport but the judge didn't care and treated her
bad.
"

Agree with this.

"I loved to know that it is new World Record for SP too but I still
think that it is inflated too (by home crowd advantage?)
"

Disagree strongly with this. Mao received only +8.32 points in GOE, compared to +8.65 points in GOE for Kostner and +8.3 for Lipnitskaya.
She also received -1.61 in PCS in comparison to Kostner (35.85 to 37.46), even though I felt Mao's performance was more artistic and intricate. Also, remember that Mao uses fewer crossovers to build up speed,  which apparently is not rewarded in PCS though it is supposed to be. If anything, it seems to me she should have broken it by more than she did.

I totally agree wowmao, Mao's pcs was 2 whole points lower then kostner that nicht despite Mao's program being technically and artistically far superior, that was just inexcusable. just one look at the coreography and would notice how packed with details that program is, especially when it comes to transitions in and out of the jumps, and technically it was the most demanding sp and it was flawlessly done, that exit to the 3a was gourges.
I still can't believe that Mao in japan received lower pcs then kostner, can anyone imagine the same thing happenng in italy or in korea with kim competing there. but in the end that made her victory once again even more impressive Hell, no!

Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 10:06 am

Happy Birthday Mao!! You have given such beautiful and inspirational performances that have taught me how to overcome life's difficulties. In them, you have shown the full spectrum of human emotion like the majesty of a mountain range that traverses the deep valley of melancholy before ascending to the peak of jubilation with the levity of a light- hearted smile, then comes your tear jerking skates of redemption- the bittersweet offering in between, which leaves the deepest impression because it is a recipe that combines all life's contrasting ingredients. Thank you for the brave and resilient character you have displayed in the rink. And thank you for showing the lighter side of life in the travel and games shows you have hosted and for your charm and amusement acting as a skating coach for the four stooges and playing ping pong. May you have a long and happy life, with or without competitive skating, though I will miss you dearly if you retire.

Mao shares the same birthday with the great Noble prize winning writer, William Faulkner. I thought I would show how her quotes and skating relate to his.

Mao: April 2013 - I have suffered over the past two years for competitive and technical reasons as well as due to my psychological condition.

William Faulkner: The salvation of the world is through man's (or woman's) suffering.

Mao Asada: Jan, 2013- In order to reach my goal, I have come to accept as unavoidable not being able to turn in a good performance during the competition in front of me.

William Faulkner: All of us have failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible.

Mao Asada: July 4, 2013- My unchanging objective has been to become a skater who can give small children a dream.

William Faulkner: The end of wisdom is to dream high enough to lose the dream in the seeking of it.

Can't find the quote now, but Mao said that during her Sochi LP, she just concentrated on taking each jump one by one, until she had finally built a monumental performance.

William Faulkner: The man (or woman) who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.

When Mao was asked why she included the triple axel in her programs at the press conference in Japan after Sochi, she said that her dream to was to carry on the tradition of her triple axel hero Midori Ito and that it empowers her during her performances. Also, Tarasova said that she had overcome herself in the Sochi LP.

William Faulkner: Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.

Of course, Mao also broke down her jumping technique and built it from the ground up and finally succeeded in skating the record breaking 8 triple program with level 4 steps and spins.

Faulkner: You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Finally, Mao has held up a mirror to nature with her greatest performances in frozen moments of artistry and athleticism that are worth a gold medal for the soul.

William Faulkner: The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life.

In addition to William Faulkner, Mao also shares a birthday with the Academy award winning actress and actor (ladies first): Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglass, who are also husband and wife, and the immensely popular African American actor and singer, Will Smith. Maybe this another reason why Mao is so dramatic in her performances. Perhaps she inherited part of her Russian soul from the great Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich, who was also born on this day. The great classical pianist Glenn Gould, most famous for his performances of Bach, also shares Mao's birthday.

Mr. Gould is famous for the following quote about the role of the artist which reminds me of the personal effect Mao's performances have on me:

"The justification of art is the internal combustion it ignites in the hearts of men and not its shallow, externalized, public manifestations. The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but is, rather, the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity."[46]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Gould

Thank you for your message Ballerinamao glad you agree with me about Mao's world record.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Happy Birthday Mao!!  Many Hearts Daisies for you  Encore  
Have a wonderful day and fabulous year!! Love Hearts Love Hearts Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao: post-Sochi news and articles
Page 19 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next