Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao: post-Sochi news and articles

Go down 
+53
let`s talk
linglang
silenceisgolden
COHK
l-spiralmao
Iceriver
Samurai Mao
koala_lover
maowataiyo
Tripleaxelqueen
ballerinamao
zarinaballerina
bebece
WowMao
Haidogirl
girlgirllo
kawaiimao
bibi
Toru
illani
p351
BowbowDaijin
minhoudi
kisses
whiteboots2013
Rose
W0rldTrav3l3r
Aero
roma
beautifulmao
Abdiel
sweetdream
Otchoto de mus :3
MyMao
Lady_in_black
emory903
ilovethai
aoi88
Batsuchan
sapphiresky
maofan93
itsonlykat
BounceAround
mini34ans
breynows
chapis
polosatik
nita
Mao_Asada_sunrise
inskate
shar
pearlyriver
klarification
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
AuthorMessage
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 7:45 am

^ no problem!

I've seen ppl talking about Lori giving Mao the same-old-same-old choreography (also on my Chinese Weibo). Wink I guess I'm the only one looking forward to a jazz number from Mao. I'd recall that in the very first radio talk show she mentioned that she took jazz dance lessons during the time off. And I've been longing to see a jazz number from her since then.

Also, チュッキョ @ctveventkawa (the official tweeter for 'The Ice') tweets that Mao has shoot a dance demo video for audience of The Ice (they usually have some skater(s) shoot the video and ask the participants of The ICE to dance together with the skaters during the finale). The tweet says the dance demo includes part of Mao's new EX. The demo video will be up at the official site of The Ice soon when it is done with the editing.
Back to top Go down
l-spiralmao
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
l-spiralmao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 11:36 am

I've heard that Mao's going to be at Japan Open....
Back to top Go down
BelieveInMaoself

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 am

l-spiralmao wrote:

Hopefully she is not being pressured because I think that is too much for one year. There will be like 10 events...
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 pm

BelieveInMaoself wrote:
l-spiralmao wrote:

Hopefully she is not being pressured because I think that is too much for one year. There will be like 10 events...

I didn't see that this had been posted. So my apologies if it already has. There is a reasonable rationale for Mao entering the Japan Open (LP only)  because otherwise she would have to qualify for Sectionals near the same time (SP AND LP), though I agree the schedule is a bit too front loaded at the first of the season (2015).  

Mao is following the rules of the Japanese Skating Federation because she is using the "one week rule" for both the Sectional and Regional byes to Nationals, which is a legitimate reason for missing a qualifying round for Nationals. First, Mao can get a bye through the Round of Central Championship (September 25-27) because she is participating in the Japan Open on October 3 within one week of the event. Next, she can get a bye through the West Japanese Sectionals (October 31- November 3) to Nationals because she is participating in the Cup of China (November 7-9) within one week of the event, The biggest challenge will be to make it through the NHK Trophy / Grand Prix Final / Nationals within about a month of each other. This of course caused Mao difficulty when she did in 2013 because she got a back injury likely around the time of her National's freeskate. Hopefully, that won't happen this time.

Also, her standing on the Nationals team will be much lower if she doesn't participate in the Grand Prix because earning points in these events is one of the main determining factors in qualifying for Nationals and she is ranked low because she didn't participate last year. It may sound crazy not to give Mao a free pass to Worlds, but I guess they don't want to set a precedent for giving preference to skaters based strictly on passed success and popularity.

Finally in my opinion, skating in Sectionals and Regionals wouldn't do much to prepare Mao for the psychological rigors of the World because the competition would be much weaker and in addition there is not enough seating in these small arenas to accommodate the mass demand to see Mao skate.
Back to top Go down
BelieveInMaoself

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 1:21 pm

WowMao wrote:
There is a reasonable rationale for Mao entering the Japan Open (LP only)  because otherwise she would have to qualify for Sectionals near the same time (SP AND LP)

I had no idea she could skip the sectionals if she went to JO. Definitely JO then. (I honestly don't think a world champion winner should have to ever "re-qualify". If you win the Masters you automatically get invited back forever. So it should be the same for a big skating events.)
Back to top Go down
l-spiralmao
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
l-spiralmao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 4:10 pm

I see then. Does anyone know who she's going up against?
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 4:47 pm

l-spiralmao wrote:
I see then. Does anyone know who she's going up against?

I don't know who Mao is competing against for sure. I would think 3 Russians, 3 Japanese and 3 Americans (the top ones from last season and maybe a couple of skaters who are liked in Japan like Mirai Nagasu or maybe Adelina or Julia. But, this is just a guess based on who has gone in previous years.

firal at goldenskate said that the only confirmed entries so far are: Mao, Satoko and Javier
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38067-Mao-Asada/page102

Here is a translation by rosewood at fusniverse of what Mao said about the Japan Open in the video posted by CONK,"She says it was her choice to participate in Japan Open rather than Chubu Regionals. The reason was that it was her usual schedule to start her new season at Japan Open, so she is accustomed to doing so. She also said her goal at this point is to prepare for being in top form at Japanese Nationals."

Again, tougher competition and bigger stage for preparation from a larger crowd or a very small packed arena in an obscure competition for Regionals. Obviously, Japan Nationals is the better pick like BelieveInMaoSelf. said.

I just hope she takes care of her back.

A poster at goldenskate (urara) posted news that Coach Sato said that Mao will reveal a totally new LP program choreographed by Lori Nichol at the Japan Open.   http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38067-Mao-Asada/page102
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 11:38 pm

zarinaballerina wrote:
BelieveInMaoself wrote:

There was a period where Mao has landed her jumps on one foot, however when she streched her free leg, on some jumps, it touched the ice just  for a moment. I wonder if this falls under the "free foot touchdown". scratch

I hope she'll manage to fix the UR's. pale  The real ones, not the imaginary ones that only a certain technical panel can see. Very Mad Frustrated Very Mad  

Needless to say, I never want to see Amano or Lakernik on the panel again. EVER. Mad

I hope that Mao is working on rotation of her jumps as well. But, I wonder if the ISU will continue to be allowed to "fix" Mao's ur calls, or fabricate new two footed landing calls instead of touchdowns. Will they be allowed to continue to give Mao PCS deflation (such as "fixing" her Sochi LP exactly at her Grand Prix average and inflating most in the final group from 4- 12 points from their average? I believe that Mao has been a thorn in the side of the ISU's fabricated inflation, and therefore, had to be deflated to satisfy their arrangements.  

Is it true that a two footed touchdown is now the same as a fall in GOE (-3)? If so, I don't feel there is any rational reason for it because a fall breaks the flow of a program much more than a full two footed landing, which used to be -2. Again, I get very suspicious about the intention of such rules given that it coincides with Mao's return as does the increased value of the 3T when her main competitor(s) use this as a combo jump. Attempts to "fix" results could backfire given the fact that a youtube search shows that Mao's most popular program her last season (her Sochi LP with Tarasova commentary) now has well over 2,000,000 views despite the small screen size and little publicity because Mao skated in the third group, and after another video with Mao's sister Mai with over 1,000,000 views had already been deleted,  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kGe6Sulrak

The performance that Maxim Trankov, the Russian pairs champion, called "the performance that only an Olympic champion can do" live on Russian TV receives 6th place GOE and 5th place PCS. It is the most clear case of corruption in the history of the sport and Maxim was "the miraculous organ " and "Mao's guardian angel" that spoke the voice of truth. Can it continue when Mao returns and will it be accepted is the question. It is a test for the ISU as much as or more than it is for Mao who has already proved her legendary stature in the sport.

while Liza's most viewed video from her last season is only a little over 83,000 and

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEyZ9rFYiFc

Elena's a little over 65,000

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_sort=video_view_count&search_query=elena+radionova

In terms of current skaters' Olympic performances

Yulia Lipniskaya's has between 1.5 and 1.6 million: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_sort=video_view_count&search_query=yulia+lipniskaya

and Adelina Sotnikova's https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=adelina+sotnikova+
a little over 806,000

These are much higher than Liza's or Elena's but still don't reach Mao's level despite much greater press coverage and having ISU sanctioned videos with nice HD big screen versions.

It would be odd for the ISU to continue to make bogus calls and deflate the scores of Mao, the female skater who brings in the most publicity, financial backing and support for the sport. But, perhaps, the ISU has to fulfill other obligations.

Last edited by WowMao on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:42 am

Some news from rosewood at fsuniverse:

Fuji TV aired another clip of Mao working on choreography with Lori in Canada.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vhwtf_0626-現役-にかける思い_sport

She also said that someone recognized her new Ex number to be Fred Astaire's 'Puttin on the Ritz.' She says the clip is very short so that she is not certain if it is this one or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJoJv2-Nmg

She posted some other version of Putting on the Ritz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66km3m_UE_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4DJxrjNqk

She also said that she saw a chair on the ice, so she thinks she'll use a chair.

Here is the original post:  http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-mao-cheer-thread-after-finishing-the-season-i-could-truly-say-figure-skating-is-wonderful.89260/page-33 post 983

I love this "Puttin on the Ritz" music and the dance steps in the video. It bears a striking resemblance to Mao's Sing, Sing as well with the heavy thumping beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iAlS9TMIQ

Fred Astaire musicals have always been my mom's favorite to watch, so maybe there is some golden sense of nostalgia and wonderful childhood memories that goes along with the music too. Besides, I get really hung up on those snazzy, sophisticated and cool rhythmic steps and Fred Astaire's elegance, sophistication and innate musicality really fits Mao' s style.

I noticed that the junior skater Maria Sotskova who said that Mao along with Carolina Kostner were an inspiration to her also likes dong programs to American jazz numbers like her LP from last season.

Unfortunately, Daily motion is "putting on the fritz" (not working) in my part of the world where I am on vacation.

Last edited by WowMao on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 12:33 pm

I would love for Mao to put in her magnificent spirals like the fan and arabesque at the end of Rach II. Hopefully, she can sneak them in somehow or even the cross grab Biellmann, if it fits in with her program and her back can handle it. Here is a lovely video of most of Mao's spiral sequences during her senior career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0w_pX4g98M
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 2:12 am

the music choice seems quite unusual and not something i would normally link to Mao, but i'm soo excited to hear that we will see her with new programs and that she will attend japan open.
Back to top Go down
silenceisgolden
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
silenceisgolden

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:41 am

I’m not a fan of Lori’s gala programs for Mao except Jupiter and So Deep Is The Night.
Puttin' on the Ritz is OK with me unless it’s not LP or SP.  Smile   

I’ve just seen TV saying that Mao got four new programs (LP, SP and 2 gala programs)
during her stay in Canada for ten days.   WOW!  cheers
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes, it is confirmed from the following link that Mao's new Ex is to 'Puttin' On The Ritz'

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vsfqq_0628-%E7%8F%BE%E5%BD%B9%E7%B6%9A%E8%A1%8C%E3%81%AE%E7%9C%9F%E5%AE%9F_sport

In the report it says Mao was in Toronto for 10 days. She worked on 4 new numbers (SP/FS/1 solo Ex/1 collaborative Ex), and was in training for 8 hours per day.... Shocked

Adding: this is the 'dance lesson' for audiences to THE ICE 2015. The main movements in the dance should be from Mao's new EX!

https://youtu.be/tI3qpOeXYPM
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 10:03 pm

COHK wrote:
Yes, it is confirmed from the following link that Mao's new Ex is to 'Puttin' On The Ritz'

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vsfqq_0628-%E7%8F%BE%E5%BD%B9%E7%B6%9A%E8%A1%8C%E3%81%AE%E7%9C%9F%E5%AE%9F_sport

In the report it says Mao was in Toronto for 10 days. She worked on 4 new numbers (SP/FS/1 solo Ex/1 collaborative Ex), and was in training for 8 hours per day.... Shocked

Adding: this is the 'dance lesson' for audiences to THE ICE 2015. The main movements in the dance should be from Mao's new EX!

https://youtu.be/tI3qpOeXYPM

I appreciate the links CONK. Mao is great at cheering me up and inspiring me not to be lazy.
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 6:18 am

Here comes Mao's new programs of 15-16 season:

SP: Bei Mir Bistu Shein
FS: Madama Butterfly
EX: Puttin' on the Ritz

She just revealed this in her talk show!!

Adding: I haven't listened to her very last radio talk. But from a previous information leakage by Chinese fans, Mao's new SP is with female vocal, and it is said that the straightline footwork/Stsq is "explosively fierce."
Back to top Go down
silenceisgolden
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
silenceisgolden

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 am

Wow!  Thank you for the information, COHK!

Finally, Madame Butterfly ....  Bawling  cheers

As for SP, I’ve never heard of that title, so I am going to check it out on YouTube.

wice 2017 already made a Madame Butterfly video with Ballad No.1.  Many Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ9dwVdlCr4&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks again for the information CONK. I had never heard Bei Mir bist du schejn before and I really loved this original version of it that I found on youtube. I hope this is the version Mao chose. So soulful, subtle, snazzy, sad and scintillating all at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVEq6NC7mM

I can imagine that the piece and Mao's skating would start out slow and sad and gradually become more explosive and impassioned until it climaxed in a liberating step sequence like Rach II only jazzier.

Last edited by WowMao on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
l-spiralmao
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
l-spiralmao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 am

Her SP sounds really cool and I hope her FS is too! flower
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 am

I guess this is the first time when I absolutely love Mao music choices! cheers Dance
For the short I would her to go with this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZXxFFsZTQ%D0%AD%D1%82%D0%BE or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DyaFmp3H8 (especially the last part).
Back to top Go down
l-spiralmao
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
l-spiralmao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Thank you Aysa for the music! Encore So this one's more like her 'I Got Rhythm' SP? (I accidentally though the song was more like D10's SP this season or Ladies in Lavender...)

I like the first version better. Cloud 9
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Can we make a brand new thread for the upcoming season for Mao?
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 4:48 am

rosewood from fsuniverse posted this video of Mao, Carolina and Joannie in Toronto showing what they did when they weren't training:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vvnfu_0629-theice-カナダでの振り付けに密着_sport
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 5:25 am

COHK wrote:
Here comes Mao's new programs of 15-16 season:

SP: Bei Mir Bistu Shein
FS: Madama Butterfly
EX: Puttin' on the Ritz

She just revealed this in her talk show!!

Adding: I haven't listened to her very last radio talk. But from a previous information leakage by Chinese fans, Mao's new SP is with female vocal, and it is said that the straightline footwork/Stsq is "explosively fierce."

YEEESSSSSSS!!! Confetti Dance Worship cheers Love Hearts

I absolutely love her music choices! Many Hearts I can't wait to see this, especially Madame Buterfly. Swoon I was hoping for years she'll skate to this one day, and she's actually doing it. Boogie

And I'm loving the description of her Stsq. Go Mao! Cheering

Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 5:31 am

polosatik wrote:
I guess this is the first time when I absolutely love Mao music choices! cheers Dance
For the short I would her to go with this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZXxFFsZTQ%D0%AD%D1%82%D0%BE or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DyaFmp3H8  (especially the last part).

Me too! I don't remember when was the last time I was so excited to see her new programs. This programs could seriously become epic masterpieces. Love Hearts I hope Lori did her absolutely best.

I can't decide which version of those two you posted, I prefer, they're both amazing, though Nina's is more on the rock side. I hope she picked one of them. There are so many covers, I hope she hasn't chosen this cover by Joss Stone, I don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHmSzWyjXQ
Back to top Go down
WowMao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
WowMao

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 8:19 pm

I thought I would post a little history I found and the lyrics to the music for Mao's SP program, Bei Mir Bistu Shein ("To Me You are Beautiful"). Originally written in 1932, I read that Sholom Secunda (the composer) sold the rights for only $30 and later split the amount with Jacob Jacobs (the lyricist) and that shortly thereafter the Andrew Sisters who were unknown turned into a big hit with more of a swing feel than the original in 1937. I have read that many 1920s jazz musicians and composers fell on hard times in the 1930s with the switch to swing like one of my favorites: Jelly Roll Morton. Now, that does really lend some sadness to the song for such a big hit to give so little to those who wrote and composed it, though I also read that they regained the rights in 1961.

The original version was a dialogue between two lovers who share lines in the song according to wikipedia but was changed when written in English so it sounds like just the woman /women is / are singing the words. This is my best guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bei_Mir_Bistu_Shein

Andrew Sisters version 1937

I don't know if we are allowed to just post the lyrics to a whole song on this thread, so here is a link to the words in the 1937 Andrew Sister's version:
http://www.metrolyrics.com/bei-mir-bist-du-schoen-lyrics-andrews-sisters.html

I tried to get some kind of translation for the original Yiddish version. I got the original Yiddish lyrics from this site:  http://lyricstranslate.com/en/בייַ-מיר-ביסטו-שיין-bay-mir-bistu-sheyn.html

Then, I put them in google translate and made changes to get it to sound more like English. Does anyone know how to get a better translation?

Original Yiddish Version with my attempt at an English translation using google and guesswork

Kh'vil you say, you immediately hear

That you love me explain

When your eyes are red

I would fly with you where you want

Don't start without me

When you have a little understanding

When you have a northern smile

When you are hardly a Galician

more than even Indians

I say: This place is not for me

To me you are beautiful,

Me hast grace,

To me you are the only one in the world.

To me you are Good

Me hast "AIT",

To me you are more precious than money.

Many lovely ones would take me

But from all of them I choose only you

To me you are beautiful

To me you are the only one in the world

This passionate song about longing for distant love combined with an explosively fierce step sequence could be the source for streams of tears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao: post-Sochi news and articles   Mao: post-Sochi news and articles - Page 32 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao: post-Sochi news and articles
Page 32 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next