Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brackets into 3A?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

Brackets into 3A? Empty
PostSubject: Brackets into 3A?   Brackets into 3A? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 4:32 pm

My apologies in advance - I wasn't sure where to post the topic under, so I figured I may as well put it here, since it is about Mao and its a question! Razz

Under CoP rules, do brackets into a 3A (or any triple jump, for that matter) satisfy the footwork Arrow solo triple requirement in the ladies' SP? The 3A in question is the one Mao performs in her Czardas program.

Thanks to anyone who answers! Wink I was wondering because after being completely addicted to Mao's Masquerade, I started to work on a Mao choreo montage with the Lezghinka movement from Gayane (which is also by Khachaturian and has a constant rhythm going on) - I found a particularly good version of it on the web yesterday. The thought just came to me for the "ultimate" imaginary Mao SP with both her 3A and 3fl-3lp along with her gorgeous steps, spirals, and spins. WOW! And the spread eagle Arrow 2A, too. Yep!

I'm still waiting for this season to end before finishing it, so I can have different clips of Masquerade, especially the straightline step sequence from various angles. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

Brackets into 3A? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brackets into 3A?   Brackets into 3A? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on the rules, but I think you might be right, clovera, that the brackets into 3A from the Czardas program would count. (But I don't know for sure. Sweatdrop)

But I'm also wondering - do the judges take off points if you don't do footwork before your solo triple? Is it a mandatory deduction or negative GOEs like a fall? Also, last year in the GPF Mao completely skipped the 3Lz - but she just ended up with 1 fewer element than everyone else; I don't think there was an additional deduction.

I was thinking, though, that if Mao wanted to put the 3A in her short, she would probably do the 3A-2T (or 3A-3T if she gets really comfortable with that, which would be amazing WOW!). Or maybe a 3A-2Lo? That should be do-able. At the 2006 World Jr Championships, she did a 3A-1Lo in the short (I guess it was supposed to be a 2Lo).

3A-2T is worth 9.5 (same as 3F-3T); 3A-2Lo is worth 9.7, and 3A-3T is worth 12.2 (vs 10.5 for Mao's typical 3F-3Lo). 12.2 is Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

Brackets into 3A? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brackets into 3A?   Brackets into 3A? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:37 am

Batsuchan wrote:
But I'm also wondering - do the judges take off points if you don't do footwork before your solo triple? Is it a mandatory deduction or negative GOEs like a fall? Also, last year in the GPF Mao completely skipped the 3Lz - but she just ended up with 1 fewer element than everyone else; I don't think there was an additional deduction.

Inskate mentioned in the SA thread that beginning this season, all solo triple jumps in the SP that are not immediately preceded by steps will get a deduction (as far as I can tell, its not a mandatory deduction like a fall). This is the case with Miki's SP from Skate America this year - her triple flip received -1 GoE. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Admin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

Brackets into 3A? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brackets into 3A?   Brackets into 3A? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 1:30 am

I can't wait to see your montage, clovera! cheers I love Lezghinka. I would love to make some montages, too, but I'm so worn out after my classes recently that I only have enough strenght to go back home and roll into my bed. Laugh

To answer your question: yes, brackets would fulfill the footwork requirement. Smile What's more, her 3A followed the brackets quickly enough to not receive -GoE.

Quote :
Inskate mentioned in the SA thread that beginning this season, all solo triple jumps in the SP that are not immediately preceded by steps will get a deduction (as far as I can tell, its not a mandatory deduction like a fall). This is the case with Miki's SP from Skate America this year - her triple flip received -1 GoE.

This is true. Miki had too long pause between her steps and the 3F. This season, the judges want the jump to follow the steps immediately. I haven't exactly figured out what to they mean by "immediately" Laugh, but from what I've seen, they seem to frown upon an approach longer than about 2.5-3 seconds. (Yes, I actually timed that Laugh).

The deduction is similar like a deduction for a wrong edge take-off - the judges must deduct some GoE.
This is why many skaters decide to add a combo to a solo jump if they fall or step out from the planned combo. There were no steps into the planned combo, but since that triple receives negative GoEs anyway, the skater isn't hurt by the lack of steps preceeding it. Smile

Another person who was deducted recently was Fumie at CoR - her 3F was perfect, but she had too long pause between her steps and the take-off. Sad

For Mao, this is a bad time for the rule to come into force - I think that it makes her more anxious about her Lutz in SP. Sad The sad thing is, even if she lands the Lutz perfectly, from the outside edge take-off, she can receive even bigger deduction than for flutzing if her approach is too long. Sad From what I've seen from her practice clips, she's on the verge - some of the approaches were a bit too long (though I'm sure this will improve with time). Smile
Back to top Go down
https://maoasada.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

Brackets into 3A? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brackets into 3A?   Brackets into 3A? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brackets into 3A?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ballerina on Ice :: Figure Skating :: Mao Chat-
Jump to: