Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yuna's orginal Sheherazade

Go down 
+3
clovera
SoMiTripleAxel
ddmm
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Empty
PostSubject: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 8:30 am

Yuna and Orser mention that her FP Sheherazade a very unique number. Do you agree ? The costume and choreography just look very similar to Kwan's. Wonder what Kwan has to say about this .

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2Ll4X-WM8
Back to top Go down
SoMiTripleAxel
Double Axel
Double Axel
SoMiTripleAxel

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Wow... Everything is very similar! Well, I don`t want to say anything wrong, but I don`t think it`s right to get high PCS`s when the choreography and costume is used before...

BTW Welcome to the forum ddmm! Maybe you want to introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself" topic...
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 7:39 pm

That topic has been mentioned quite a few times on NicoNico Douga/2ch (with a rather rude overtone being given to Yu-Na that needs to stop may I add), but honestly, I do think it's quite exaggerated. It's not exactly the easiest thing to come up with a completely new set of choreography to music that has been so extensively used, and if Yu-Na is brought up as the scapegoat, then what about Miki? The timing and music cut during her spiral is the same as Kwan/Yu-Na's as well, and there's the similar wavy hand-motion thing going on. Wink

I do agree though that I find it to be more of an homage/tribute program to Michelle - especially when you consider Michelle being one of Yu-Na's favorite skaters - than the completely "unique" number that Orser states it to be. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 1:39 am

I agree with Clovera about the homage and of course it's obviously not a unique program if that's what Orser exactly said.

Actually, whether Yu-Na's Sheherezade is similar to Michelle's is the last thing that bothers me after watching that video (though I've already seen parts of it before)
I was quite shocked to see the uproar that the judges dared to give Yu-Na an e call and UR (which were both accurate IMO). If everyone was to complain like that every time they got a call (and many skaters get it when they don't deserve it) well... Rolling Eyes
This actually reminded me of Star85 mentioning Yu-Na being a "golden child". You are free to pick on other skaters as you want but if you dare to question Yu-Na's perfect flawless textbook technique it's almost a sacrilege.

I don't mean to criticise Yu-Na, it's of course not her fault as she is simply doing her best as all skaters do, but I'm getting quite annoyed by the myth that I feel is being created around her and...maybe by Orser too.

She is and will remain a wonderful skater even if she sometimes underrotates a jump or uses a wrong edge, it's not the end of the world!
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:05 pm

kawaiimao wrote:

This actually reminded me of Star85 mentioning Yu-Na being a "golden child". You are free to pick on other skaters as you want but if you dare to question Yu-Na's perfect flawless textbook technique it's almost a sacrilege.

I don't know if you were referring to me picking on Yu Na or not, but I just want to make it clear, I was not. I think Yu Na is a great skater. I just think Mao is better. It has just seemed to me lately, that Yu Na is gaining more popularity, positive media attention, and people love her more than ever. IMO, she is becoming overrated.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 am

Star85 wrote:
kawaiimao wrote:

I don't know if you were referring to me picking on Yu Na or not, but I just want to make it clear, I was not. I think Yu Na is a great skater. I just think Mao is better. It has just seemed to me lately, that Yu Na is gaining more popularity, positive media attention, and people love her more than ever. IMO, she is becoming overrated.

This is exactly what I was thinking about and actually agree with. I don't think you were picking on Yu-Na. Sorry, if it wasn't clear or if my association was perhaps slightly different to what you meant.
You followed it by "Mao is getting picked on pretty bad this season. I don't understand what is so special about Yu Na," which made me think not only about Mao but also for example Miki and others. While when Yu-Na got the e and ur call look what happened! Regardless of whether you consider the call fair or not, questinable calls happen to many other skaters all the time but I don't remember there ever being such an uproar.

That said I think she's a great skater too and I'd actually like her to win Worlds this year, although if Mao takes it I certainly won't complain I love you .
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm

kawaiimao wrote:

You followed it by "Mao is getting picked on pretty bad this season. I don't understand what is so special about Yu Na," which made me think not only about Mao but also for example Miki and others.

I agree that it is happening to Miki, and others too. Miki was getting picked on before this season though. Actually, now that I think about it, it seems like almost EVERYONE is getting picked on more than Yu Na. Execpt for Joannie maybe. She has been getting lot's of praise too. They are doing very good this season. There's not much to pick on (except for the gpf of course). Then again I must say the same thing about Mao Love
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:33 pm

kawaiimao wrote:

That said I think she's a great skater too and I'd actually like her to win Worlds this year, although if Mao takes it I certainly won't complain I love you .

Hmm, gahh, I have mixed feelings about Worlds. On one hand, I'm going to Worlds, so I'd looove to see Mao skate her best, which probably would mean that she'd win. On the other hand, being a 2-time World Champion heading into the Olympics would definitely put a lot of pressure on her....so hmm...

Well, at the end of the day I guess I'd be happy to see Mao try her best, win or lose, and end with a brilliant smile! flower

Best of luck to Mao and Yu-Na!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 am

Batsuchan wrote:
On one hand, I'm going to Worlds, so I'd looove to see Mao skate her best, which probably would mean that she'd win. On the other hand, being a 2-time World Champion heading into the Olympics would definitely put a lot of pressure on her....so hmm...

Well, at the end of the day I guess I'd be happy to see Mao try her best, win or lose, and end with a brilliant smile! flower

Best of luck to Mao and Yu-Na!
The fact that you can go is amazing! Give us all the juicy details when it's time Batsuchan! Wink The ticket prices are just too much for me to attend - even if its close to my uni. I still can't find a good tour package to join as well, and I think the volunteer spots are already full at this point. Sweatdrop

I'm adamantly praying that prices will fall. Laugh
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:01 am

It seems some people here confuse the World Championships with a charity show "Evan Lysacek and friends against the oppression of penguins' rights in zoos of Nepal". Rolling Eyes For Mao to win this Worlds is essential!
And I don't think winning it would put more pressure on her. More - simply can't be. On the contrary. She'd have much more of inner calmness, going into the Olympics with two titles. :-)
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

You know everyone has different theories Wink .
It seems to me the skating gods have so far been distributing the titles rather fairly between the top two ladies. Last year for example I was kind of glad Mao lost the GPF (although of course not exactly at the time it happend pale ) especially since it was two years in row because then I somehow knew she'll get Worlds as a compensation for that.
So following this "logic" (lol) I'd rather have Yu-Na take Worlds now (she also deserves some World title for what she's doing) so that Mao can win the Olympics.
It's scientific believe me! Hell, no! geek

Seriously, of course, if possible I'd love Mao to win everything and never be beaten by anyone. On the other hand I'd hate to see her win everything and lose when it matters most to her.

I know there is nothing rational about this (and it certainly didn't work in the past) but neither is about my hiding behind the couch everytime Mao skates and yet I continue doing it Embarassed Very Happy

That's also why I'm so jealous of Batsuchan having the possibility (and nerves) to see it live and I second what Clovera said, we want to know everything! Happy dance

Btw, Summervie, penguin rights is a serious issue and nothing to make fun of! Evil or Very Mad Thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 pm

You guys are crazy! lol. I want Mao to win everything she enters. Of course, not if someone else skated better than her. I just mean, I want her to skate her best, do better than everyone else, and win!

I don't think Mao could be under much more pressure than she is now. I don't think winning worlds this year will put much more pressure on Mao at the olympics, if any. It could just give her more confidence! It's all a big head game. If she loses worlds this year, she may have more doubt at the olympics. I don't think doubt has ever been much of a problem for her though. She has the mental aspect of the sport down pretty good. Many great skaters crumble under olympic pressure for one reason or another. I don't think Mao will do that. We will just have to wait and see though.
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 pm

kawaiimao wrote:
You know everyone has different theories Wink .
kawaiimao, your "theory" makes perfect sense to me. Smile I just thought maybe now, when Mao can afford herself to say to interviewers something like "Worlds, huh? Who cares.", somebody would think that she really doesn't want to win them that badly. Smile
---
As for Yuna Kim (since this thread is marked by her name). Like everybody I admit that she is a great skater. Still, when I put her and Mao's personalities on one line (where any comparisons can be drawn), I see Mao as lively Earth (let's bring some astronomical parallels here -), with "What a Wonderful World" by Luis Armstrong playing on the background, while Yuna - as Jupiter, a planet with great attractive force and some nice 'outer' views, but cold and lifeless in its core. Rolling Eyes (Specially for Korean Air Forces, known for their hyper-sensitivity Rolling Eyes, I repeat: I see Yuna's personality this way only when compared with the one of Mao. Thank you for your cooperation. -)

Would anybody object the fact that beyond any fondness of any skater, there's a fondnes of it's personality in the first place? That's why I don't have that much of this very fondness towards the queen of the textbook jumps realm (he-he). (You know, recently I've noticed one hilarious thing. There are a lot of... mmm... none-English-speaking Yuna's fans who can't distinguish a triple Axel from a straight-line step sequence, but all of them know the definition of the phrase "textbook jump". Laughing)

P.s.
All of this, of course, isn't an 'explanation' on why I consider Mao as a light-years better skater than Yuna (which way I surely do consider), but just an 'explanation' on why I don't like Yuna that much. -P
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

clovera wrote:
The fact that you can go is amazing! Give us all the juicy details when it's time Batsuchan! Wink The ticket prices are just too much for me to attend - even if its close to my uni. I still can't find a good tour package to join as well, and I think the volunteer spots are already full at this point. Sweatdrop

I'm adamantly praying that prices will fall. Laugh

I will definitely give you guys the juicy details. I'm not exactly sure if I'll have internet access, but even if it's after Worlds are done I'll try to post something! flower

I hope you get to go, clovera!! Thumbs up!

summervie - I agree with you regarding Mao vs Yu-Na's personalities. I think Yu-Na's a sweet, humble girl, and in some of the recent fluffs from the GPF gala rehearsals, she's quite cute, but I just can't, I just can't warm up to her the same way that I can with Mao. I fell in love with Mao after I first saw her skate, and while it's probably true that my bias towards Mao makes it hard for me to like Yu-Na (plus I can understand what Mao says but can't understand Korean so well), Yu-Na is so reserved off the ice. You won't see her making faces at the camera or blowing kisses like Mao! Hell, no!

And this is the truth for me. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Yu-Na, and I hate to see rabid Mao fans attack her, and if Mao were not around I would consider her the best ladies skater in the world, but *personally*, I do not enjoy her skating very much. I'd much rather root for Mirai Nagasu, with all her jump problems, than Yu-Na, any day!

I still don't know what to think about Mao at Worlds this year. I just remember that Irina Slutskaya was undefeated from after 2004 Worlds through the Olympics (except for the 2005 GPF, of course Very Happy), and she was a favorite, and didn't do so well...so I worry for Mao... No

But maybe you guys are right - maybe winning Worlds will give her a bunch of confidence. Actually, maybe winning 4CC will give her even more confidence. Then she can think, "I just have to do what I did at the 2009 4CC, where I did my best and won in Vancouver." flower

Gooo MAO!! Cheering
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 am

Batsuchan wrote:

summervie - I agree with you regarding Mao vs Yu-Na's personalities. I think Yu-Na's a sweet, humble girl, and in some of the recent fluffs from the GPF gala rehearsals, she's quite cute, but I just can't, I just can't warm up to her the same way that I can with Mao. I fell in love with Mao after I first saw her skate, and while it's probably true that my bias towards Mao makes it hard for me to like Yu-Na (plus I can understand what Mao says but can't understand Korean so well), Yu-Na is so reserved off the ice. You won't see her making faces at the camera or blowing kisses like Mao! Hell, no!
For me it's not about making face or anything like this. Smile I just see Yuna as kind of cold (her eyes, her smile) and sometimes probably as a little bit arrogant. Which surely makes a great contrast with the personality of Mao.
Maybe I'm wrong about her in this, and this 'coldness' is actually a reflection of some other qualities I have no idea about. But perhaps I'm not.
Batsuchan wrote:
And this is the truth for me. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Yu-Na, and I hate to see rabid Mao fans attack
her, and if Mao were not around I would consider her the best ladies skater in the world, but *personally*, I do not enjoy her skating very much. I'd much rather root for Mirai Nagasu, with all her jump problems, than Yu-Na, any day!
I don't know what would be "if Mao were not around". Maybe I'd be the greatest fan of Yuna myself, or maybe of Kevin van der Perren, who knows. But since Mao is "around", it seems neither of these is possible (sorry, Kevy Rolling Eyes).
Batsuchan wrote:

I still don't know what to think about Mao at Worlds this year. I just remember that Irina Slutskaya was undefeated from after 2004 Worlds through the Olympics (except for the 2005 GPF, of course Very Happy), and she was a favorite, and didn't do so well...so I worry for Mao... No
But maybe you guys are right - maybe winning Worlds will give her a bunch of confidence. Actually, maybe winning 4CC will give her even more confidence. Then she can think, "I just have to do what I did at the 2009 4CC, where I did my best and won in Vancouver." flower
Gooo MAO!! Cheering
I agree that for Mao it will be very important to go to the Olympics as even in the 'favourite status' with Yuna as possible. The burden of favouritism may be absolutely devastating in this case. Still, I think this status will be mainly determined by the start of the Olympic season itself. While the win at the Worlds might give Mao (except the Worlds title itself, of course) simply more calmness (as well as confidence). With two World titles in the pocket it shouldn't be as scary not to get the Olympics as with only one.

Go Mao!!! Yes! Smile
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 1:26 pm

summervie wrote:

For me it's not about making face or anything like this. Smile I just see Yuna as kind of cold (her eyes, her smile) and sometimes probably as a little bit arrogant. Which surely makes a great contrast with the personality of Mao.
Maybe I'm wrong about her in this, and this 'coldness' is actually a reflection of some other qualities I have no idea about. But perhaps I'm not.
I think Yu-Na is a lot more reserved/shy than Mao - especially in her junior days, but I do think she's 'come out of her shell' recently.

But enough about Yu-Na - what I have decided I'm really glad about, is that all Mao's fans around the world can recognize and appreciate her adorable, bubbly personality - even if they don't understand Japanese! Happy dance

summervie wrote:

I don't know what would be "if Mao were not around". Maybe I'd be the greatest fan of Yuna myself, or maybe of Kevin van der Perren, who knows. But since Mao is "around", it seems neither of these is possible (sorry, Kevy Rolling Eyes).
Sometimes I do wonder myself what would have happened if I had seen Yu-Na Kim skate before I ever saw Mao. By the time I first saw Yu-Na Kim skate, I was already a super Mao-fan, so sometimes I do feel like I never gave her a fair chance, but like you said, summervie, we can't change history... Who, me?

One last thing on this topic - I am a sucker for Mao+Yu-Na cute moments, and there was a cute anecdote in "Mao Asada, Sweet Sixteen" that I thought I'd translate and share.

This is from right after the 2006 Grand Prix Final, when Yu-Na Kim won for the first time. [This is from the author's point of view - she's a family friend of Mao.]

I had known her name [Yu-Na Kim] from a long time before, but I never imagined that she'd grow into a skater who would win the Grand Prix Final in her senior debut year.

On the other hand, Mao recognized Yu-Na's ability from early on.

This story that I'm introducing now, is from around the 2005 Junior World Champions in Canada, I think. Sometime around then.

One night, I was riding in the car that Mao's mother, Kyouko, was driving. I had no intention of talking about Yu-Na. I was only talking without really thinking. "In the future, when you compete as a senior, who will be your rival, I wonder..."

Mao, who was sitting in the back, said just one name.

"Yu-Na, I bet."

I looked back from the passenger-side seat.

"Yu-Na? Certainly she's a skillful girl, but she's only a junior skater."

At that time, what was in my head were seniors like Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, etc - skaters that Mao looked up to.

"But surely, Yu-Na will become even better. That's what I think," Mao said.

And so, because Mao respects Yu-Na, and Yu-Na respects Mao, and they are friends, I don't feel that I can say anything negative about Yu-Na, even if I feel that way, because I don't think Mao would ever do that...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yuna's orginal Sheherazade   Yuna's orginal Sheherazade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yuna's orginal Sheherazade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ballerina on Ice :: Figure Skating :: Other Skaters-
Jump to: