Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Empty
PostSubject: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 7:12 am

Quote :
New book out: Mao's mother Kyoko was kind enough to send Ice Time a new copy of the recently released Japanese book about her daughter entitled "Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen." It is the third tome on Mao by author Naoko Utsunomiya and covers the 2007-08 season.

The 156-page book was published by Bungeishunjusha and is on sale now for ¥1,400 including tax. It is filled with wonderful pictures of Mao's climb to her first world title.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20090111it.html

I would want to buy it!! Very Happy but it's not on ebay.. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 12:11 pm

That's funny that you should post this! I just went to the Japanese bookstore near me and ordered a copy yesterday! Hell, no!

I think they have it on Amazon Japan, but the shipping outside of Japan is very expensive (around 2000 yen => more than 20 US dollars)!
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/4163709207/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 11:50 am

I heard about this. Will it be released in English?
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Star85 wrote:
I heard about this. Will it be released in English?
that would be awesome!!
Back to top Go down
http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Naoko Utsunomiya has been releasing them every season for quite a while now. Maybe, someday...it'll be released in a pack (like the Harry Potter series) so it can save me the trouble of ordering each copy that corresponds to each season Mao shines at... Laugh
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:50 pm

Ok, I've been meaning to translate parts of this book, but I haven't had the time. Sweatdrop

I wanted to share one part that I've been thinking about recently, as I've watched Mao struggle through her programs.

It's from the part right before the 2008 Four Continents Championship.

(Note that this is written from Naoko Utsunomiya's point of view. She's a close family friend of the Asadas.)

[middle of page 78-page 80]

In Korea, there is a national star. It's Yu-Na Kim, who won this season's Grand Prix Final.

"Seventeen-year-olds--there's only me and Yu-Na, and we're skaters who are often together. So we talk a lot." [Mao said].

Kim's appearance is graceful, and she seems quiet, but when she speaks, even if it's using a translator, the unique strength of her heart/mind is expressed.

"When we talk together, it's in English. When was it--that time we ate together--Yu-Na was talking about the Korean actors. I also asked, 'Do you know Bae Young-joon?' We talk about those kind of normal things." [Mao said].

In the past, Kim once spoke this way about Asada.

"Because Mao was here, I was able to feel like trying my best."

When I told Mao what she said, she answered the same way.

"I think it would be good if we can keep this relationship where we push each other.
Yu-Na's movement is flexible, and I think it's really pretty. If I compare my power of expression to Yu-Na's, I think it's really inferior."

Asada gave this comparison of herself to Yu-Na extremely naturally. I had the impression that she just said exactly what was in her heart.

I did not nod my head to that.

It's true, Yu-Na's performance is overflowing with emotion, and she draws viewers in. However, Asada's performance is by no means "really inferior."

The worlds that the two express are different. Mao expresses a lovely, lively beauty, and Yu-Na expresses a mature, relaxed beauty.

Right now, a glamorous/sexy program wouldn't match Mao, and conversely, Yu-Na probably wouldn't be good at a dignified program. The music she uses in competition, the musical themes are always somehow similar.

Mao seemed to think my strong verbal objection was funny. She laughed softly. And she said this brightly:

"Somehow, listening to you talk, I was able to think, 'Ah, I guess there are some good points in my power of expression.'
I think that as the years pass, maturity will come out naturally, so for now, I'll try my best with Mao-like expressions and my personality. But someday, I want to dance to something that seems sexy. I think that if I work hard at it, I can do it. Because if I don't challenge myself with new things,
I think it will be boring for me and for the people watching."

[end translation]
First, I want to point out that this was almost two years ago, so Mao's thinking (and Yu-Na's thinking) may have changed.

But still, I do think that Mao perhaps doesn't realize how beautiful she is just skating naturally and how expressive she can be even she is soft. I'm sad to say, but that Asience commercial where Mao did all the choreo herself may be my favorite thing that she's skated all season long. Yep!

No Mao, I agree with Utsunomiya-san, your expression is NOT inferior to Yu-Na's in any way, so I don't think you have to try to be like her.

However, I understand that it's a challenge you want to undertake, so I respect that decision....
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen   Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen
Page 1 of 1