Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?

Go down 
+23
snowdrops24
☆Genie
summervie
Admin
tianrushui
prettykeys
bibi
SoMiTripleAxel
cera
chapis
clovera
chineseteacup
Star85
Aibhlin
kawaiimao
inskate
bleedingblades3
Maya
polosatik
coconut
Batsuchan
MaoMaoRevolution
chiyori
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

What do you think Mao should do for the Olympic season?
Get two new programs
Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Vote_lcap73%Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Vote_rcap
 73% [ 44 ]
Keep her long and change her short (or vice-versa)
Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Vote_lcap22%Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Vote_rcap
 22% [ 13 ]
Go back to old programs
Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Vote_lcap5%Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 60

AuthorMessage
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Empty
PostSubject: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Hello!

I know it's too early to wonder about this, but I was watching a few vids of Mao from past seasons and I couldn't help but be curious.

What do you think Mao should do for the Olympic season? Should she a. get two new programs, b. keep her long and change her short (or the other way around), or c. go back to any program from the last two seasons (and which ones)?

I personally never get tired of her Nocturne SP. And I think that with her current spirals and spins (as well as her unequaled talent for steps), it would be THE program of the season. On the other hand, I think her LP this season is a real challenge. I feel that she still hasn't mastered all the potential of that program and that when she does, she will blow everyone away. One more season to work on it should do it. Wink So I guess it's option b for me.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:19 pm

This is a really difficult question...!
Though I really love Mao's programs this season, I think she should change her programs for the upcoming Olympics. I think she can really develop some great new programs that showcase her strengths that she improves and hones in on after this season. But if she stuck with one or both of her current programs I wouldn't be upset or disappointed at all~~!
I agree with you completely when you said one more season would make Mao's LP astounding.
I can't wait to see Happy dance
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi chiyori! This is a very interesting question! Very Happy

First of all, I definitely think that Mao should get two new programs so she can maximize her options. She can always choose to go back to one of her old programs if she wants.

But what kinds of new programs should Mao get?
I've done quite a bit of thinking on this question since you posted this topic, chiyori, and here are my thoughts. I apologize in advance because this most certainly will be a looong post.

For the Olympics, I think Mao ultimately needs to pick two programs that 1) are 真央らしい "Mao-rashii" = Mao-like and 2) have impact and make the average viewer think "wow, this is a champion's program!"

As much as I love 'Nocturne,' and I do think it matches Mao's natural style perfectly, I worry that it is too understated, too subtle. I also wonder if Mao has outgrown 'Nocturne' - it was perfect when she was 16, but now she has matured and evolved so much, I'm not sure...

'Clair de Lune' is very much like Nocturne in that it showcases Mao's lovely, elegant style, and for the Olympics, it could be good because it's a well-recognized melody. But some people might still find it too subtle/soft too. For example - I sent the clips of Mao and Yu-Na's SPs from the 2008 GPF to my Mom, and even though she is a big Mao fan, she said she thought Yu-Na did a better job! (Even with the popped jump!) She said Yu-Na's SP seemed more impressive/powerful! Crying or Very sad

So I definitely think that Mao needs to have a program that has impact.

'Masquerade Waltz' does have a lot of impact, but for some people it seems to be a negative impact -- they say "my ears were bleeding" and "the music is so repetitive." And even though I love Mao's LP, especially the step sequence, I agree with you, chiyori, that it doesn't seem like 'Masquerade Waltz' is 'Mao-like' yet; she still hasn't 'made it her own.'

But I'm not sure she should continue to work on this program...I think it was good to have challenged herself with a new style this year, but for the Olympics, I think she should pick something closer to her natural style.

As the new article I posted in the "Really nice article about Mao and the Olympics" thread said, this is the year for challenges, for Mao to try different styles, but next year she should take less risk.

[Slight digression: in this respect, I feel like Mao's programs and goals this year are very similar to the 2006-07 season. In the 06-07 season, Mao chose songs that were very different from one another, and the SP was in her natural/ballet-like/elegant style, while the LP was in a style she's not used to (and contained some kind of 3A challenge). I think 06-07 and this season are all about evolution. In contrast, I think last year, Mao did want to keep progressing, of course, but I think she really, really wanted to win Worlds. And as a result, I think her two programs last year, at least in terms of music choice, were closer to her natural style.]

So based on the two criteria I mentioned, what kind of music would I like to see Mao skate to next year?

1) Something heartwrenchingly beautiful
-I mentioned this in the "Music links" thread, but I think Mao's 07-08 SP and "So deep is the night" show that Mao is really good at these very sad, expressive pieces. Currently I am obsessing over the "Schindler's List" theme, and if Mao had a really great program choreographed to a song like that, she would reduce the audience to tears. Swoon That's what I want to see - Mao skating so beautifully that the crowd can't help but cry, that even the commentators find themselves speechless...a moment of awed silence after Mao finishes, and then thunderous applause.

2) "Gentle joy"
Back during last summer when Mao did the performance of "Over the Rainbow" with Miku, the little violinist with the prosthetic arm, I remember being really impressed by how well Mao expressed that. Songs that are not overly or obviously cheerful, but kind of have this gentle/subtle joy, or a very warm feeling - they always make me think of Mao. I don't Mao would want to, or if she should - but I do think a nice arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" might be good for the Olympics, since it's a well-known melody, and uplifting. (So that after reducing the audience to tears after the SP, she can give an uplifting, inspiring LP.) And like that "Challenge & Evolution" video showed - Mao is all about progress and change and overcoming obstacles.

So that's what I think...sorry to have rambled on for so long! If anyone made it through to the end, I'll be impressed!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
coconut

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

I hope she will choose whatever she feels comfortable to skate. Smile A few months ago, I read a magazine in a bookstore and there was an interveiw from Mao and she said that she thought her Czardas was a wrong choice cuz she had'nt been able to express the music till the last. and I was quite surprised since I felt it suited her so well and she was brilliant in that program at 07 worlds. Shocked

I think if Mao only sticks to winning, she should not keep her this year's LP program since I heard some criticisms from commentators(including Kurt!). I might be wrong but Mao's LP somehow has an Russian style and I guess its not the North American's favorite type of a program. Sweatdrop However, I think Mao is a kind of a girl who really has her opinion about skating and doesnt care a bit what other people say. so If Mao chooses to keep her this year's program, Im ok for that too!!

Personally, I wanna see Mao skates to 'The Polovetsian Dances' or 'Swan Lake' someday. flower

Last edited by coconut on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 7:26 am

coconut wrote:
I hope she will choose whatever she feels comfortable to skate. Smile A few months ago, I read a magazine in a bookstore and there was an interveiw from Mao and she said that she thought her Czardas was a wrong choise cuz she had'nt been able to express the music till the last. and I was quite surprised since I felt it suited her so well and she was brilliant in that program at 07 worlds. Shocked

I think if Mao only sticks to winning, she should not keep her this year's LP program since I heard some criticisms from commentators(including Kurt!). I might be wrong but Mao's LP somehow has an Russian style and I guess its not the North American's favorite type of a program. Sweatdrop However, I think Mao is a kind of a girl who really has her opinion about skating and doesnt care a bit what other people say. so If Mao chooses to keep her this year's program, Im ok for that too!!

Personally, I wanna see Mao skates to 'The Polovetsian Dances' or 'Swan Lake' someday. flower
You're genius! cheers This would be perfect choice of music for Mao!
Back to top Go down
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
coconut

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 7:42 am

polosatik wrote:

You like that too? Razz I hope TAT will choreograph it for Mao someday. Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 8:13 am

coconut wrote:
polosatik wrote:

You like that too? Razz I hope TAT will choreograph it for Mao someday. Love Hearts
Yes!I see this program in my mind, music is light but powerful, PERFECT program for the future olympic champion! sunny
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Oooh this sounds really nice! I didn't know "The Polovetsian Dances" but I like it very much. I think it could make a great impact with Mao Very Happy

Batsuchan, I think you may be right about Mao outgrowing Nocturne... I hadn't thought of it like that but it's true, I think it was perfect as it was and I have a difficult time imagining the new Mao doing that again. I think I kept putting her 16 year-old self over the music, but Mao has mastered a bit of her "dramatic" self over the years, as showed in her SP last year and also a little in her SP this year (step sequence). With that in mind, I think I would find the current Mao skating her 06-07 SP pretty but a bit lacking.

I'm all for Mao skating two new programs actually. I don't really like it when skaters use the same music and choreography year after year (though it can sometimes be really beneficial, as shown by Joannie's LP to Don Juan last year), but I was under the impression that Mao's LP was a work in progress. TAT was talking about the long term and I might have gotten the wrong impression that this applied to her LP as well. By now, I think this was more to do with Masquerade Waltz being a challenge to push Mao further technically, to maker her try on a new style so that she could push her limits. I do think this kind of program as done wonders for her speed as well.

And I agree! The Schindler's List theme is a gogeous piece of music, soft, sad, haunting, everything I think Mao can make a masterpiece out of. It reminds me of Michelle Kwan "The Red Violon" in a way.

Anyway gotta go now so I'll look at this post later to see if I missed something lol!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

polosatik wrote:
coconut wrote:
polosatik wrote:

Yes!I see this program in my mind, music is light but powerful, PERFECT program for the future olympic champion! sunny

OHHHH!! So THAT'S what that song is!!! Ohh!! hehehehe - we were dancing to "The Polovtsian Dances" in ballet class, and I was like, "Ooh, I really like this song, and it sounds familiar, but I don't what it is..." Aha! Exclamation Well, yes, I totally agree that it would be perfect for Mao - at least the melodious part that "Stranger in Paradise" from "Kismet" is based on. Many Hearts (That's what I thought it might be, and it turns out "Stranger in Paradise" *is* based on one of the themes from "The Polovtsian Dances". Wow, it all makes sense now.. Hell, no!)

I was listening to it in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmptWExyKEw

I guess it alternates a lot between the slow section and the fast section - the fast section would be great for a step section, but I'm not too sure how well it would work at other times in the program...but wow, I do really like this song!! Love Hearts

coconut wrote:
A few months ago, I read a magazine in a bookstore and there was an interveiw from Mao and she said that she thought her Czardas was a wrong choice cuz she had'nt been able to express the music till the last. and I was quite surprised since I felt it suited her so well and she was brilliant in that program at 07 worlds.

So I finally got to reading parts of "Mao Asada, Miracle Seventeen," and the end part has some interesting things about Mao's programs this season, so I shall translate..

(pg 148)...For the choreography, it was decided that the short would be done by Lori Nichol, and the free by Tatiana Tarasova.

"Lori has made a program that fits me perfectly. But, this season is all about 'image change'" [Mao said].

Lori is a world-class choreographer, and the programs she creates for Mao are always of a very high level.

But even she talked about last season [06-07 season] this way.

"16, 17-years old is difficult. Because it's the years when you're neither a girl nor woman."

I wrote this before too, but about the 06-07 season free program "Czardas" - Mao clearly says it was a failure.

"'Czardas' was not good. To speak frankly, I regret it."

That's why this season, the two of them are attempting a challenge. It is a battle influenced by Vancouver Olympics, I think.

"It's something that we can only try this year. 'Clair de Lune' is a song that doesn't get exciting; it's calm. The parts of the song that have no story - Lori and I made all kinds of stories for them. For example, it's like a "level-up" version of 'Nocturne.' The thing that I want people to see the most is my skating.

That's interesting that Mao thinks of 'Clair de Lune' like 'Nocturne,' level-upped, but I would agree! That's what it reminds me of!

I think I sort of have to agree with Lori/Mao about Czardas, though. I remember being blown away by 'Czardas' at the 2007 Worlds, but now when I go back and watch it, most of all I think, wow, Mao is so much better now. Sweatdrop

chiyori - you might be right about 'Masquerade Waltz' being a work in progress. I can't wait to see it at Worlds!!

Last edited by Batsuchan on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : translation correction!)
Back to top Go down
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
coconut

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Batsuchan wrote:

Acutually, I think Mao herself said that. It was in the magazine I read too. Wink
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 pm

coconut wrote:
Batsuchan wrote:

Acutually, I think Mao herself said that. It was in the magazine I read too. Wink

I re-read it and yup, I think you're right! So I fixed the translation. Thanks coconut! Thank you! (And if anyone sees any mistakes in my translations, please correct me!! Sweatdrop)
Back to top Go down
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
coconut

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 12:16 am

Batsuchan, I have to say thank you for your wonderful translation too! Itsumo arigatou gozaimasu Wub
Back to top Go down
Maya
Double Axel
Double Axel
Maya

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 6:07 am

Quote :

She actually said that? This is amazing, if you consider that her Czardas from worlds 2007 was absolutely mind-buggling Very Happy
So although she didn't feel that comfortable with this program, Mao still managed to spread so much freedom and joy. That's quite an accomplishment.

Quote :

I think I sort of have to agree with Lori/Mao about Czardas, though. I remember being blown away by 'Czardas' at the 2007 Worlds, but now when I go back and watch it, most of all I think, wow, Mao is so much better now. Sweatdrop

To me Czardas is still perfect. Because it shares this unique feeling, all that excitment and fun. It's still a joy to watch. OK, her spins are so MUCH better nowadays, but her spirals back then were really pretty, and the jumps too of course!
Back to top Go down
bleedingblades3

bleedingblades3

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm

I adore her LP this year. I want her to keep it forever.

I think that she should use her Exhibition music for a future program! It's really nice and I think it would be great. I love Czardas too, I don't know!
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 2:33 pm

I would love for Mao to get two new programs. I think that they could be something special, considering Mao's and Tat's plan to go safe in the Olympic year. I want Mao to have as wonderful and carefree programs as her Gala programs this year. They are still wuite difficult, but not as CoP-loaded as the competetive programs and they really allow Mao to shine and show her charisma and expression! flower
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 2:36 am

inskate wrote:
I would love for Mao to get two new programs. I think that they could be something special, considering Mao's and Tat's plan to go safe in the Olympic year.

Two new programs definitely!

Actually when I heard about going safe I immediately thought of Liebestraum.
I think it might suit Mao perfectly as I don't like overdramatic interpretation of this piece and although it's very emotional I wouldn't like to see exaggerated facial expresions there either.

Tarasova also already used this piece for Kulik so she should be quite familiar with it;)

Ilia Kulik's Liebestraum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnfn1LBVB-A

My favorite version by Arthur Rubinstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejXPcv9MS7s

I'd also love to see Mao skate to Beethoven's Pastoral symphony 5th movement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8RlCZP0KQ&feature=related
Wub
Back to top Go down
Aibhlin
Double Axel
Double Axel
Aibhlin

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 am

I second the idea of using Schindler's List for the LP.
Or perhaps the music from "The Piano", anyone? (here is z4mboni's Mao montage set to this music - great montage by the way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmUorKqvPY

I think she might as well consider changing her exhibition into an SP because she dances that tango so well.
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 am

kawaiimao wrote:

Actually when I heard about going safe I immediately thought of Liebestraum.
I think it might suit Mao perfectly as I don't like overdramatic interpretation of this piece and although it's very emotional I wouldn't like to see exaggerated facial expresions there either.

I 100% agree with this!! This song is perfect for Mao! Many Hearts In fact I wrote this in this other thread:
https://maoasada.forumotion.net/mao-chat-f5/mao-asada-challenge-evolution-was-uploaded-again-t316.htm

..Unfortunately, the fan video with 'Liebestraum' in the background was removed. Crying or Very sad

What do you guys think of this song?

'Gaspard de la Nuit - Ondine' by Maurice Ravel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVL6oS30wFc

I think it is really pretty, but I don't know if it is skate-able... Question It might also be difficult to cut it down to 2:50 or 4:00 minutes...
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 pm

It's most likely that she will have two new programs. Although if skaters ever use an old program, they usually do it in an Olympic season.

I hope she uses two new ones. It's sad in a way when a new season starts, and I know I won't be seeing her previous programs anymore, but I love seeing something fresh from her too. Seeing more great programs!

I really do love most of her old ones though, and would like to see her do them again. It would be hard for me to choose just two!
Wouldn't it be cool if they did an exhibition type show, where fans could vote on which programs they would most like to see they skaters do again?... Hey me, great idea! lol. I'm a dork geek Do you think it would be even cooler if it was a competition, where they got scored and everything? Or if they just kept is as more of an exhibition?
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Which songs would you like to see Mao skate to?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 12:32 am

This is kind of similar to the last poll. Some of you even answered this question, but we can elaborate here. I have actually been meaning to post a topic about this for a couple months now. Everyone please list the songs you would most like Mao to skate to. Feel free to list songs you would like to see other skaters skate to too. Here are my pics (after #2, they are really in no particular order):

1. I am a songwriter, so I would first and for most LOVE for Mao to skate to a song I wrote. I actually did write something really beautiful with her in mind. I would be thrilled to have any skater skate to one of my songs, but of course, I would like most for it to be Mao.

2. The Sleeping Beauty Waltz by Tchaikovsky. I don't really have a preference as to whither it's the original version or the Disney version, "Once Upon a Dream". I like them both. Although I know the original version is long enough to be a long program, while I'm not sure about the other. Either way, I LOVE this song, and I think it would suit Mao beautifully.

3. Ave Maria. The Schubert version.

4. "House of the Rising Sun" remake by Secret Tunes This is a techno remake with a girl singing. It's actually really pretty. You've probably never heard it. I suggest you listen to it on youtube. I love it! I don't know if anyone would ever skate to this song though, because of what the seedy meaning of the song really is...

5. Something from Phantom of the Opera. A medley would be cool. As long as it included "Angel of Music", because Mao is obviously an angel of music!

6. "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from Cinderella. Preferably an instrumental version, so she could use it as a program. If it must have vocals, I would like it to be the original, and not some cheesy remake by Michael Bolton or something. lol

7. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland.

Guess I'm kinda partial to movie songs. haha

**There were more songs I was listing in my head before, but I can't remember them now Sad Oh well, I listed probably more than anyone will care to read anyway. lol**

I would like to see a different female skater skate to a Sound of Music medley. I think Mao would be great for it, but I would like to see someone skate it who looks like they could have come straight out of the movie, or from that region of Europe. The European setting of that movie is just so signature, I think someone who looks the part would add something to it. I would like the medley to include the "Lonely Goat Herd", "Climb Every Mountain", and "Sound of Music" if there's time (a long, pretty spiral would be so perfect on that song). Adlevise (I know I spelled that wrong...) MUST be in there though. I love that song!

I would also really love to see someone skate to "Beautiful Life" by Ace of Base. For some reason, I keep coming back to Johny Weir for this! I don't especially want to see him skate to this song though. lol
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 5:17 am

Aibhlin wrote:
Or perhaps the music from "The Piano", anyone?

I absolutely ADORE this piece. I first heard it at a school recital and loved it so much that I learnt to play it on the piano. I'm currently teaching it to my sister. I think the tone is absolutely beautiful.

That being said, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think it really depends on the orchestration of the piece. I think just simply have a piano version of it won't have that WOW factor. Maybe add some strings to it?
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 am

Batsuchan wrote:

I 100% agree with this!! This song is perfect for Mao! Many Hearts In fact I wrote this in this other thread:
https://maoasada.forumotion.net/mao-chat-f5/mao-asada-challenge-evolution-was-uploaded-again-t316.htm

..Unfortunately, the fan video with 'Liebestraum' in the background was removed. Crying or Very sad

Oh I didn't realise Very Happy !
And I remember hearing it in the background of some video so it must have been the one you mentioned.

Batsuchan wrote:

What do you guys think of this song?

'Gaspard de la Nuit - Ondine' by Maurice Ravel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVL6oS30wFc

I think it is really pretty, but I don't know if it is skate-able... Question It might also be difficult to cut it down to 2:50 or 4:00 minutes...

Just as you said very pretty but I don't think it would work as a skating music.

I LOVE Martha Argerich by the way! Love Hearts

Last edited by kawaiimao on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 am

I'd also love to see someone skate to "Valse Romantique" by Debussy which I think is very skate-able! Why don't people use this? Question

Unfortunately I couldn't find a decent version on youtube Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:20 am

Very interesting idea! I think Christmas songs in general work wonders with Mao as an EX...I would personally love to see a rendition of Silver Bells or the Christmas Song ("chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."). santa

Another candidate is one of Ryuichi Sakamoto's pieces...Energy Flow, especially. I love you I wouldn't mind seeing Miki skate to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - another piece by Sakamoto - for one more season in the future as well.

There's just so many beautiful pieces of music out there both classical and modern that hearing skating "standards" like Carmen or Tosca in competitive programs just make me groan (I wouldn't mind so much for exhibitions, though). Laughing
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 am

I really agree with you! I never thought about a Christmas song for Mao, but that is a good idea! Christmas songs usually bring up prettty happy and excited feelings for most people all around the world, and the figure skating season is in the winter, so it would really fit! People of all ages could enjoy a beautiful Mao Christmas skate--especially with her flowy and ballet-like skating technique. And with a costume not too flashy, but very elegant and holiday styled...something like her recent new 2009 Worlds LP costume, but in Christmas or winter colors.
I have always thought that Mao would do a beautiful skate to the song Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, but maybe an instrumental version. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?   Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which programs should Mao skate for the Olympic season?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next