Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system Empty
PostSubject: Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system   Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Link:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071103&content_id=36202&vkey=ice_news

Quote :
"[The rules] keep changing. Nobody understands what they are doing. Everybody gets confused. This was supposed to make the system fairer, but it's messier, twice as messy," Arutunian added.

He explained that the system, which is constantly being revised, affects the skaters who need to know what to practice.

Rafael brings up some very valid points. While personally I like the idea of the Code of Points system and I prefer it over the 6.0 one, it certainly is not perfect.

One thing that I find annoying is the frequency of changes. There were some major changes in the CoP this off-season, but the skaters had very little time to adjust to them. Some of them - like the new requirements concerning spiral sequences requiring superior flexibility, balance and edge control, or mandatory -GoE for flutzing and lipping - require a lot of work from the skater to adjust to. The same goes for the step sequences - famous for his footwork Daisuke is getting very low levels because he does not meet the requirements - even though his footwork is visibly very difficult. Other skaters try too hard to achieve higher level - and end up stumbling or falling during the step sequences. pale

To follow, the changes are simply confusing. I often end up mixing the older and the newer rules and somethimes I have no idea what level the spin or spiral is and why it might be downgraded. scratch I feel really bad for the coaches. Just imagine how annoying it might be to try and teach a little girl to perform a lvl4 spiral - and then have to explain to her that her spiral is now lvl1 because someone up there at ISU felt like changing the rule. Disappointed
Just remembering all this stuff must be a challenge - it's one thing to learn how the elements are scored, but if the rules change every season or two - well, let me just say I don't envy the coaches their position. Wink

And the last thing that bugs me is that some of the new rules are somewhat discriminatory against the older or not as flexible skaters. Not to mention the cases when fulfilling the XoP requirements might me dangerous for the skater's health - like the case of shpolder and back injury making it difficult for Miki to perform a Biellman (and thus a high level layback spin).

While some of the changes might be necessary, I wish the skaters and coaches were given more time to accustom to them. I like Rafael's comparison:

Quote :
The ISU are like the policemen. Coaches are like the parents, but you can't expect people to follow the rules and not get in trouble with the policeman if they never grew up with the rules."
Back to top Go down
https://maoasada.forumotion.net
Popon

Popon

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system   Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 8:45 pm

I wonder why ISU rush so much. scratch
Back to top Go down
Admin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system   Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 8:56 am

I found another mention concerning the sudden changes in the CoP:

Fumie Suguri wrote:
"I felt very tired after this competition, because I haven't participated in a competitive event since the nationals last December. It has been a long time.

"I don't think my age is the reason I struggled. I believe the change in the rules is. I knew the old rules well, but the new ones are very different and have to get my body to adjust to the new rules. "

The whole interview can be found here:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071108&content_id=36472&vkey=ice_news
Back to top Go down
https://maoasada.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system   Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rafael Arutunian frustrated by the new judging system
Page 1 of 1