Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Figure Skating Rivalries

Go down 
+4
illani
alyssa
polosatik
Star85
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

Figure Skating Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 10:24 am

Time made up a list of top ten figure skating rivalries: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1968197_1968201_1968211,00.html

They listed Mao and Yuna as number one Rolling Eyes. I have to totally disagree, cause the media makes them out to be rivals more than anything. Well, you can make your own list, so I did. This is my list here:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1968197,00.html?user=17745008691971841554&network=fc

This is nothing too significant, but if you're bored, it's something to kill some time I guess Smile
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 am

I find Mao and Yuna being the first quite understandable, it's not only the media, but these two are really super talented golden girls showing a great rivalry through the years. I don't find anything offensive there. But to my eyes, the top rivalry was Alexei and Plushy, even if it was sometimes ugly, it always was a big battle. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:31 am

polosatik wrote:
I find Mao and Yuna being the first quite understandable, it's not only the media, but these two are really super talented golden girls showing a great rivalry through the years. I don't find anything offensive there. But to my eyes, the top rivalry was Alexei and Plushy, even if it was sometimes ugly, it always was a big battle. Twisted Evil

I didn't find it offensive, I just disagreed. I really don't know how anything tops Tonya and Nancy when their rivalry when to the extremes of physical assault, and Tonya being banned as a result.... At least Mao and Yuna are friendly (or can at least pretend to be) off the ice. Some of the other rivals can't even do that. lol. And why were Johnny and Evan not on the list??...
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 pm

I love this:

Quote :
The scandal marked a low point in a sport long marred by tales of vote-swapping, judge-collusion and favoritism, and figure skating's image has yet to fully recover.

The way they're judging nowadays, it's far from recovering any soon. Laugh
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Star85 wrote:
polosatik wrote:

I didn't find it offensive, I just disagreed. I really don't know how anything tops Tonya and Nancy when their rivalry when to the extremes of physical assault, and Tonya being banned as a result.... At least Mao and Yuna are friendly (or can at least pretend to be) off the ice. Some of the other rivals can't even do that. lol. And why were Johnny and Evan not on the list??...

It looks like the article was written on February 25, 2010, which might explain why Mao and Yuna topped their list. I agree with Star85 that Evan and Johnny should be on there. But instead they went for Todd Eldredge and Timothy Goebel...? scratch

Oh well, I guess we don't have to take it too seriously. Razz

I agree with polosatik about Alexei and Plushy—now that was an epic rivalry.
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 am

alyssa wrote:
I love this:

Quote :
The scandal marked a low point in a sport long marred by tales of vote-swapping, judge-collusion and favoritism, and figure skating's image has yet to fully recover.

The way they're judging nowadays, it's far from recovering any soon. Laugh

Lmao. So true!

illani wrote:
Star85 wrote:
polosatik wrote:

It looks like the article was written on February 25, 2010, which might explain why Mao and Yuna topped their list. I agree with Star85 that Evan and Johnny should be on there. But instead they went for Todd Eldredge and Timothy Goebel...? scratch

Oh well, I guess we don't have to take it too seriously. Razz

I agree with polosatik about Alexei and Plushy—now that was an epic rivalry.

Awww yes. That would maybe explain things. Other than Johnny and Evan, they are the most recent big rivals. And of course that was hyped up more than ever at olympics time.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 6:03 am

Star85 wrote:
Time made up a list of top ten figure skating rivalries: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1968197_1968201_1968211,00.html

I would put Kwan vs Slutskaya on the list instead of Kwan vs Lipinski.

polosatik wrote:
But to my eyes, the top rivalry was Alexei and Plushy, even if it was sometimes ugly, it always was a big battle. Twisted Evil

ITA Yep! The men's fields will never look the same without them.
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 am

europeanfan wrote:
Star85 wrote:

I would put Kwan vs Slutskaya on the list instead of Kwan vs Lipinski.

polosatik wrote:
But to my eyes, the top rivalry was Alexei and Plushy, even if it was sometimes ugly, it always was a big battle. Twisted Evil

ITA Yep! The men's fields will never look the same without them.
Woah, I didn't notice that. I agree with you , Tara and Michelle rivalry was too short, then Ira and Michelle were long time rivals.
Back to top Go down
ElleluvsL
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ElleluvsL

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:03 pm

^I notice that in the U.S., national rivalries usually get more attention than do international ones...

But a point that I would like to make on the subject of rivalry is that Michelle once referred to her rivalry with Tara as a "war" and Irina used the same exact word to describe her rivalry with Michelle, despite the fact that they all were friendly with each other off-ice.
By contrast, I don't think that I've ever heard either Mao or Yuna refer to their rivalry in such strong terms. As far as I remember, both girls described their rivalry as a positive thing that helped push them forward technically, they never spoke of it as an arduous war where the goal was to defeat the other.

Of course, I had heard the stories of Yuna wishing for Mao to fall or of her smiling when she was told that Mao did not make the '09 GPF, but I didn't see the video of the latter and the article in which I read the former didn't seem to offer any kind of solid proof. silent
Back to top Go down
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 pm

I disagree!
If I had to choose among the ladies - It would have been Tonya and Nancy - That was rivalry at its PEAK! It was about the sport! The medals - The willingness to win above anything!
But - again - the whole rivals-thing-bogus feeds media!
2010 Olympics was not just about two skaters - It was about the history of FS in Japan and S.Korea - and the whole issue which links the past of these two countries...

I feel this point of view is slightly overrated! I mean - Yuna is a skater! She is not some proxy-warrior fighting for her country's dignity on ice - They have both been struggling for gold in many competitions and each of em claimed the top! Quite ends here...
Both of em are quite respectful towards each other - They play the pretend-friends quite well -
When asked questions about each other - They simply play along nicely...
Obviously - They each had their weak moments - Its understandable - How can you keep on pretending you are happy about her winning...Neutral

Seriously - Fans have been a major reason why this 'rivalry' started in the first place - Yuna fans have earned a serious reputation on youtube for the past few years...
Back to top Go down
Cloviece
Double Axel
Double Axel
Cloviece

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 1:29 pm

^I couldn't have said it better myself.

But definitely, the Kerrigan-Harding rivalry takes the cake. Nothing can compare to that dangerous rivalry turned scandal/mediafest. None of these rivalries were taken to that extreme.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Figure Skating Rivalries   Figure Skating Rivalries Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Figure Skating Rivalries
Page 1 of 1