Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?

Go down 
+3
illani
zarinaballerina
aoi88
7 posters
AuthorMessage
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Empty
PostSubject: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 am

I recently discovered another upcoming young skater. Her name is Karen Chen. She is the current US novice champion. She has beautiful spins, solid jumps, and good speed. It's too early to name her the next big star of US skating (we had too many of that before) but I see great potential.

Here are some clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnoKrLokDEs (Her FS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJlcb7w83g (SP, love this performance especially the beautiful spiral sequence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Y-bzrkJlU (Exhibition, love the fans!)

http://gokarenchen.wordpress.com/ (here is her website, check out her artwork, they are amazing Shocked )

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101483&mode=I (Her profile. She lists Mao as one of the skaters she admires. Smile )
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, she's great! But she needs to survive puberty, if she'll manage that, I see great things for her. In the beginning I thought she and Nathan Chen (another amazing skater) were siblings, but it turns out they're not related.
Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh my goodness, thanks for sharing those with us, aoi! She's beautiful. I think what impresses me is her presence and connection with the music. And her spins! WOW! She has both excellent speed and beautiful positions, and that's a rare gem, indeed!

I hope she doesn't feel too much pressure as the years go on, and as her body changes. She seems a delightful young lady. Smile
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 am

I've just discovered Karen Chen recently. Karen, why are you so well-rounded? She skates well and her oil painting is Depressed Crying She skates like Yuna (she jumps without hesitation and her jumps have both good width and good height) but interestingly, she admires Mao. Unfortunately she has to withdraw from GPF due to ankle injury.
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 7:54 am

pearlyriver wrote:
I've just discovered Karen Chen recently. Karen, why are you so well-rounded? She skates well and her oil painting is Depressed Crying She skates like Yuna (she jumps without hesitation and her jumps have both good width and good height) but interestingly, she admires Mao. Unfortunately she has to withdraw from GPF due to ankle injury.

Yeah, and if she fails of getting the to of the US team, she still can go as a drawing artist! Shes very skilled! She should go to the university of art!
Back to top Go down
l-spiralmao
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
l-spiralmao

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 3:46 pm

Karen's injured? Sad I hope she gets better soon! Good luck! 
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 6:06 pm

pearlyriver wrote:
I was drawn to Karen's JGP performances. My first reaction was just similar as pearlyriver: wow, she's even more like Yuna (plus her FS is Miss Saigon). I even got confused and thought her programs were by D. Wilson (though it turns out that they are not by Wilson, but I think she should really try to work with Wilson when she's older!) Too bad she has to withdraw from GPF due to the injury. but this is better for her, since she's still young. I prefer Karen over P. Edmond (Karen's GPF replacement, Angela Wang is also pretty good. Angela's skating really resembles Michelle Kwan though Angela is struggling with consistency). And I hope one day Karen will be able to perform at her home country! (Both her parents are originally from Taiwan, so perhaps she'll consider to come to 4CC at Taipei in 2016?)
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Angela Wang's jumps are a bit small for her stature, but otherwise lovely mature skating with good musicality. Interesting to see that USA has so many good Asian American skaters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?    Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Karen Chen: Future of US skating perhaps?
Page 1 of 1