Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!

Go down 
+14
MaoMaoRevolution
bleedingblades3
coolmeia
MissAero
Maya
tianrushui
Batsuchan
zooma
chineseteacup
bibi
chapis
polosatik
clovera
snowdrops24
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 8:56 pm

YNK1 wrote:
I don't think she has a LP w/ the Malaguena music. As you mention about the yellow dress. I think that is her SP too, not LP.

Oops, my bad Very Happy Yeah, the Malaguena was her SP. Good catch!

Hmm, those are my top two favourite programs and I usually find that Sasha does better in her SP than in her LP, which is why I may have subconsciously substituted Malaguena in as her LP. Maybe it's because her jumps are a lot more inconsistent in her LPs. I tend to steer away from watching her LP performance at the Olympics, because those first two jumping mistakes are just too painful to watch.

@ clovera - I agree with you. I don't think Sasha's comeback will automatically result in a rewewed interest in the sport from the American public. I don't know why public interest has receded so much, though. It's not like all of the current American skaters suck. At first I thought it was because Caroline is a Chinese-American and therefore doesn't have that connection with Americans like Sasha did, but then I remembered that Michelle Kwan is Asian too. And my ethnicity theory doesn't explain why Rachael Flatt is also failing to connect with the audience. Their youth, perhaps? Sasha was 16 and Michelle much younger when they became popular. Their skating style? Perhaps. These days, with the COP, they all seem to be skating the same program. And when you don't have that extra "oomph" like Mao does, I guess it's no longer enough just to skate prettily.
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 1:34 am

chineseteacup wrote:
YNK1 wrote:
I don't think she has a LP w/ the Malaguena music. As you mention about the yellow dress. I think that is her SP too, not LP.

Oops, my bad Very Happy Yeah, the Malaguena was her SP. Good catch!

Hmm, those are my top two favourite programs and I usually find that Sasha does better in her SP than in her LP, which is why I may have subconsciously substituted Malaguena in as her LP. Maybe it's because her jumps are a lot more inconsistent in her LPs. I tend to steer away from watching her LP performance at the Olympics, because those first two jumping mistakes are just too painful to watch.

@ clovera - I agree with you. I don't think Sasha's comeback will automatically result in a rewewed interest in the sport from the American public. I don't know why public interest has receded so much, though. It's not like all of the current American skaters suck. At first I thought it was because Caroline is a Chinese-American and therefore doesn't have that connection with Americans like Sasha did, but then I remembered that Michelle Kwan is Asian too. And my ethnicity theory doesn't explain why Rachael Flatt is also failing to connect with the audience. Their youth, perhaps? Sasha was 16 and Michelle much younger when they became popular. Their skating style? Perhaps. These days, with the COP, they all seem to be skating the same program. And when you don't have that extra "oomph" like Mao does, I guess it's no longer enough just to skate prettily.
Sasha's mother was born in USSR Wink So Sasha is half russian, and as I know can speak russian pretty well.
Back to top Go down
bleedingblades3

bleedingblades3

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 8:02 am

I think at the olympics, unless they get injured, the podium will be Mao, Yu-Na, and Joannie. (not in that order.) Sasha says on her website:
Quote :
Q: Do you think you can compete with the younger U.S. and international skaters”
Sasha: We have a lot young great skaters coming up at the U.S. level and no one is really dominating right now. My decision wasn't factored into that. There are amazing skaters out there in the world, technically and artistically. It's great though because the great skaters bring out the best of you. I'm excited by the challenge. I'm really happy with how my skating is going. I feel confident I can come up to that level.
I doubt she really can beat Mao and Yu-Na and Joannie, but I guess if they skate badly and Sasha skates well, Sash could have a chance at the podium. I don't think its about medaling for her, she just wants a challenge again, I think.
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 10:31 am

Is there a video of the conference that all these news articles are talking about? I heard that she's going to confirm (or deny) the comeback by 14th of May, but you would think that she would mentions something on her website.

@ bleedingblades3 - I think Yu-Na and Mao are definites, but Joannie? Not so sure. Don't want to jinx her, but the chances of Sasha winning gold is extremely remote, given that most of us here (and then some) are pretty certain that it'll probably be Mao (fingers crossed) who takes it. I'm hoping for bronze for Sasha, or maybe even silver, but you're right, it's not about the podium for Sasha this time round, I think. I do admire her courage in re-entering the competitive skating world.
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 7:45 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
Is there a video of the conference that all these news articles are talking about? I heard that she's going to confirm (or deny) the comeback by 14th of May, but you would think that she would mentions something on her website.

@ bleedingblades3 - I think Yu-Na and Mao are definites, but Joannie? Not so sure. Don't want to jinx her, but the chances of Sasha winning gold is extremely remote, given that most of us here (and then some) are pretty certain that it'll probably be Mao (fingers crossed) who takes it. I'm hoping for bronze for Sasha, or maybe even silver, but you're right, it's not about the podium for Sasha this time round, I think. I do admire her courage in re-entering the competitive skating world.

I'm not as big of a long-time Sasha follower as many of people on this forum *cough polosatik cough chineseteacup cough* xD It's all in good measure, though ~ I could go on and on about Shizuka.

I agree...I don't think Sasha's comeback will gain instant popularity for the sport, but I can name a few of my friends who would at least watch the Olympics if a well-known American champion came back. Everybody likes a good comeback.
I also agree that I'm not so sure about Joannie and Sasha actually medaling, but if Sasha placed within the top 6 or so, I think that would be just wonderful! It would be really good for the integrity of the sport in the USA, I think. But next season, I am sure Mirai Nagasu and Caroline Zhang will both be healthy and strong in the field fighting for the US...but maybe it possibly is an ethnicity issue as chineseteacup mentioned.
Whirly
Back to top Go down
coolmeia
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm

I just stop my her website and found this:

http://www.sashacohen.com/teleconference.shtml

Is that mean she will come back officially???
Back to top Go down
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
snowdrops24

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks for the link, YNK1. Very Happy

Concerning Sasha Cohen's chances of making the podium: I wouldn't rule her out, honestly. Anything can happen between these 6 or 7 months before she competes in the nationals (assuming that she is coming back for real). From what I've learned, she is a very determined skater. Mao and Yuna aren't the most consistent skaters in the top tier right now. Yes, Sasha Cohen hadn't been known for consistency too. But I'm just saying that she may be able to sneak in and place high enough in the SP to be a medal contender. We never know for sure. For example, I don't think anyone would expect Mao to be off the podium at worlds but that is what happened. There are so many possibilities, anything could happen. That's the thrill of sports competition. It all comes down to that night's performance.

I guess all skating fans will only know for sure and make a good prediction about Sasha's performance by the end of summer / skate america (if she do get invited).

Hahhaha, that's my rational self speaking, my more cynical self is
hoping that the younger U.S. ladies will shine and prove themselves at nationals. But I am
still looking forward to Sasha's performance and hopefully, she will give us an amazing one.
Back to top Go down
e2girl

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 3:25 am

Sasha cohen comeback...? Yes...!! I really want to see her skate again...
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:10 am

Hmm, my post didn't seem to take yesterday. And now I can't remember what I wrote "=_=

Anyway, thank you YNK1 for the link to that article! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tianrushui
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
tianrushui

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Sasha has been invited to SA.
http://www.sashacohen.com/SA2009.shtml
Back to top Go down
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chapis

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:31 pm

tianrushui wrote:
Sasha has been invited to SA.
http://www.sashacohen.com/SA2009.shtml

cheers Dance then it is official!!!
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Next season just got a LOT more interesting! Yep!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Hmm, but she didn't make the NBC Olympic photoshoot!! flower

http://www.afpbb.com/article/sports/winter/figure-skating/2601672/4140440

Nor did Rachel Flatt, for that matter...interesting...Suspect

[Go Mirai!! Cheering]
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:26 pm

*iz feeling v. v. happy*

I'm so glad it's been confirmed! Go Sasha!

And I am half-inclined to say "pfffft, NBC" but then I realised that NBC is REALLY big in the USA so if Sasha didn't make the photoshoot, then...

*starts sweating*

Oh well, it probably doesn't mean anything Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SoMiTripleAxel
Double Axel
Double Axel
SoMiTripleAxel

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 5:05 pm

SoMiTripleAxel wrote:
She did make it!
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&assetType=image&p=USOC%20Athlete%20Portraits%20figure%20skater&src=standard#

Ah! Cool! Thanks! flower

Hm, but was there no Michelle Kwan...? Question Can we rule out a comeback from her, then?
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
tianrushui
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
tianrushui

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 5:56 pm

SA also invites Kwan. Kwan will give her answer late in this month before the GP assignment. We will know her decision soon. But, I don't think she will come back.
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 1:49 am

I'm usually not the one swooning over pictures and avoid discussions about looks, who is hot and who is not, who has the best hair etc.

But I just have to say Caroline is getting really beautiful and looks so mature in those pics! queen
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:33 pm

I have never been a fan of NBC (except for Heroes and when it had the Weakest Link back in the day) but those are some lovely promo pics! Razz

...it's just too bad there's not much opportunity to showcase them (or any potential fluffs) since that network is bound to show only SA, Nats, and the Olys anyway... No
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:20 am

I wonder if Michelle Kwan will actually accept her SA invite. It'll be great to see her skating competitively again, though I don't think she will.

I like the one of Johnny in the furry beaver hat, although I'm not sure the people at PETA are too happy with him right now Laughing

And I think Caroline looks gorgeous too. So does Sasha.
Back to top Go down
coolmeia
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
I wonder if Michelle Kwan will actually accept her SA invite. It'll be great to see her skating competitively again, though I don't think she will.

I like the one of Johnny in the furry beaver hat, although I'm not sure the people at PETA are too happy with him right now Laughing

And I think Caroline looks gorgeous too. So does Sasha.

IMO, I think Caroline's hair make she look so old ( like ghost). She should cut it a little shorter. Her hair is way too long. It's not proportional since she is too short.
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 12:23 am

Surely Caroline's long hair isn't that bad! Like a ghost? Very Happy It'll be a pretty cute ghost, if it looked like Caroline Very Happy

I think I prefer Sasha's hair long, like it used to be. I actually think short hair makes her look old.

Maybe I just like long hair because my hair is so short right now Smile I used to have really long hair before I cut it and now it's not growing back again. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
maochan

maochan

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:25 pm

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100070&mode=I

2009 Season Notes

SP Music: "Espana Cani" by Pascual Marquina Narro
FS Music: "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!   Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sasha Cohen Confirms Comeback!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2