Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bonus points that only applied to Kim

Go down 
+7
MaoMaoRevolution
ddmm
sapphiresky
☆Genie
kawaiimao
roma
sky
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sky

Bonus points that only applied to Kim Empty
PostSubject: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 am

I don't know if it is right to post this news here.

THE DONG-A ILBO
http://loda.jp/siofigure/?id=3887.gif

Lee Ji-hee, vice chairwoman for figure skating at the Korea Skating Union and a judge at the Trophee Bompard in Paris, said,

"Since many judges give penalty points under the previous scoring method instead of the new one, Kim did not get a high score"

"But after watching Kim's outsanding performance, judges reached a consenusus to give sufficient bonus points. This is only applied to Kim."

What does this mean?
Is there a special rule for only Kim?
If so, do other skaters have to be patient with this unfiar judges?
What do you guys think?

Bonus points that only applied to Kim 506166

Last edited by sky on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 am

Actual article link:
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2009101974738

That seems too much... unless they'll give bonuses to other skaters who will deliver 2 clean programs in succeeding competitions. Otherwise, this'll probably spark another argument...

That post seemed to have errors. Mao didn't set her 200+ points in a national competition. It was an ISU sanctioned international competition although held in Japan. They should check their articles properly before publishing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:36 am

What a rubbish! Rolling Eyes

First, it's rather difficult to understand what they were actually trying to say. Second, "certain experts say, however, that Asada's mark might not carry much weight because it was set at a national championship, not international."

When did trolls become "certain experts"?
National championship...ok, whatever. Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
☆Genie

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:11 pm

No offense I don't mind Kim getting huge scores because at the olympics, everything would be fair. Kim will be so surprised to get such scores that weren't in the range of her grand prix season! Mao is definitely getting underscored.... but at TEB, kim deserved to win..
Back to top Go down
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
sapphiresky

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Hmm...are there different judges at the Olympics?
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 7:40 am

Pooping wrote:
No offense I don't mind Kim getting huge scores because at the olympics, everything would be fair. Kim will be so surprised to get such scores that weren't in the range of her grand prix season! Mao is definitely getting underscored.... but at TEB, kim deserved to win..

Your comment is very interesting. Do you mean that judges are going to be different from the GPS ? Yes, I hope that juges will be fair, not undermarking Mao. No more Salt Lake Worship
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 8:47 am

sapphiresky wrote:
Hmm...are there different judges at the Olympics?

I thought there were different judges at almost every event :/
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 9:20 am

Read in a Japanese figure skating forum that Ji-Hee Lee (judge that made this above comment) was judge at TEB and will also be judge at OP....anyone know if this is true ?
I am just fed up with this lady.
Back to top Go down
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Liffey

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 1:16 pm

You guys... I hate to say this at this point, but Yuna being scored high on PCS and GOE should be the least of Mao's worries right now. She NEEDS to rotate and land those jumps. All this brew-ha-ha and complaining about Yuna's overscoring and bias with the judges is not going to stick with anyone in judging panels or the ISU because no one is challenging Yuna right now. NO ONE. When Mao made on mistake in her LP last year in the GPF, she won over Yuna, who made two. I thought that was fair, just like I think it's been very fair that Yuna has won over Mao three times in a row because Mao did not skate well.

The only two skaters who are showing promise right now are Miki, if she develops her programs more, and Joannie, who had a lovely LP at JO, and scored very similarly to Yuna, except without a 3-3 factored in (126 in the free with several minor errors- trust me, if she skated clean and was able to land her 3-3 consitently, her scores would be as high or higher than Yuna. They've given Joannie higher GOE on several of jumps, including her 2 axels, than Yuna before). If Mao can get herself together, she will definitely be giving Yuna a run for her money again, but right now it's just now there, obviously.

As much as you may hate her artistry, or think that her jumps aren't that great, or think that she was way overscored in PCS at TEB (and I think she was as well), no one else is stepping up and skating their best. I think I'd be a lot more outraged right now if Yuna skated like complete crap and won over a clean Mao. But Mao is doing the worst performances of her career, while Yuna made one error in two programs. How can you say they're being unfair to Mao? It just doesn't make sense at all.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone and you're welcome to disagree with me Embarassed , but sometimes people on this board just get a little irrational when it comes to Yuna. Let's just look at this situation with cool heads and wait until someone skates perfectly (no URs, falls, etc) and still is beat by a flawed Yuna this season. Then I'll be joining you in complaining! Too sweet!

Furthermore, I agree with your predictions that there is a very good possibility that Mao will be strong at the Olympics. I think she has all this time to improve and we must have faith in her that she will. Why waste your time worrying about Yuna? Mao needs our strength right now. Love Hearts

ETA: OOPS! I missed the original article! lol!

Whoever wrote that is a twat and obviously obsessed with promoting Yuna. Rolling Eyes I've seen several other ridiculous articles from the same news outlet. Ignore them. Mad
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 pm

liffey i totally agree. no one is challenging yuna and to yuna's credit she is skating pretty much flawlessly and consistently. brian orser is instilling a wonderful work ethic and importantly balancing it with his experience of being in the spotlight and dealing with pressure.

trust me yuna doesnt want to win like this. she wants mao to skate her best and to challenge her. they both make each other the best skaters in the world. and we are benefitting from it.
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 2:20 am

Liffey, I admire Yuna for her artistry also. She has wonderful jumps which she performs consistently in competitions. She deserves to win because she performed great and like you and dlnnyx said, no one is challenging her... so far. When Mao is on, she'll really give Yuna a very tough competition and I hope Mao can get herself together. I want to see the best performances from every competitor in the Olympics. Whoever gives the best performance should win.

This is the statement sky was asking our opinion on:

"But after watching Kim's outstanding performance, judges reached a consensus to give sufficient bonus points. This is only applied to Kim."

On first reading, this statement from that article might give fans of both skaters something to argue about like: What bonus? Where were these bonus points applied? Did this mean getting even higher GOEs and/or PCS? Why the last statement that this is only applied to Yuna?

I don't believe an official and a judge at that event will say something like this so maybe that person was misquoted. That or there seems to be something wrong in the translation. I dunno... that's just how I feel about the article. I think the editor(s) should have checked this properly. Just look at the rest of the article... So many mistakes.

Yuna did deliver great performances at TEB. We can't deny it. She was the only one who did and I admire her for being ready this early. flower

-----

I read the article again and I think now they're referring to GOEs based on this:

In the free skate competition, Kim got no points for failing in her second attempt at a triple flip (base score of 5.5 points). In the short program, she won a bonus point to secure 6.5 points.

Had Kim landed the triple flip, she could have earned 216 points, and if she earns bonus points by further improving her spins and steps, she could hit 220 points.

This isn't really applied to just Yuna. Other skaters who did well also got +GOEs. Very Happy This is probably the "bonus" they were referring to.

That site should really hire a competent editor. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
sky

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:59 am

Thank you for your opinions, everyone.
I posted this airticle because this scoring system is really unfair and is needed to change immediately.

I love Mao's skating like you guys do.
But I also know Kim is really good, in fact, she is the best skater now, and I don't care who win if the system is fair.

Figure skating is a sport.
All sports have to be fair to all players,
Otherwise, audience cannot enjoy and love it.

At GP France, Tomas Verner got 43.90 TES points and Kim got 43.80.(SP)
Tomas jumped 4t-3t, 3A, 3lz.
I don't understand why Kim's score was so high?
She jumpted 4t-3t and 3A?
Judges didn't need to give her so high score.
Why did they do that?
Becuse Kim's skating is outstanding and so beautiful like Korean say on Youtube?
Is that a reason?
That is over my understanding.

Well, this is my opinion.
Thanks again, you guys and sorry for my poor English.

Last edited by sky on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 am

dlnnyc wrote:
trust me yuna doesnt want to win like this. she wants mao to skate her best and to challenge her. they both make each other the best skaters in the world. and we are benefitting from it.

You're absolutely spot on. If the positions were reversed, and Mao was going full steam ahead while Yu-Na's struggling with her programs, the victory wouldn't be a sweet one for Mao. Winning only feels good when everyone competing is in their best form and you have to struggle to come first, not when the victory is just handed to you on a platter.
Back to top Go down
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
sapphiresky

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:41 am

Sky- I agree with you:

This may be part of the reason: (Phil Hersch also reported this in his blog in April, and apparently korean fans wrote to him saying that Japan is doing the bribing ROTFLMAO - if so they're not doing a very good job lol)

The Globe and Mail reports that the International Skating Union has voted to decrease the number of judges on Olympic voting panels (to nine). Apparently they decided this during the recent World Championships (2009). The change is being announced next week.

Why is panel size so important? In the new judging system, officials drop the highest and the lowest marks and then do a random selection that drops two others. Therefore, just five judges will actually determine Olympic results.

A U.S. statistician and figure skating enthusiast, George Rossano, says if one of those five judges offers a single bad mark — whether it be by mistake, misconduct, incompetence or national bias — the importance of the mark is increased by 40 per cent “since a bad mark will now be one of five instead of one in seven.”

He said a judge can create a one-point change between two rivals by manipulating the presentation marks alone.

Judges may also skew marks by more than three points by using the grade of execution marks they give for technical elements, too, he says. Final results are often determined by less than three points.

Rossano said with fewer countries on a panel, a voting bloc may turn from a slim majority of the panel to a vast majority.

The ISU says it is reducing the size of judging panels to cut costs.
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 pm

First of all, THE DONG-A ILBO SUCKS, and they don't get many of their facts straight (they even make some of them up, by saying things like, "experts say.. Commentator" !). I don't even bother reading links to their biased, full of mistakes articles any more.

Second of all, I wouldn't be surprised if some judges are giving certain bonus points only to Yuna. Her scores should be very high, but they seem a more than just a little too generous to me. While this is more of a conspircay, and it can't be prooven, at least that would explain her questionably high scores, if it were true.

I don't believe that Yuna, or Korea has anything to do with the scores. I just think she's really won the judges over.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonus points that only applied to Kim   Bonus points that only applied to Kim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bonus points that only applied to Kim
Page 1 of 1