Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?

Go down 
+9
chineseteacup
sapphiresky
Batsuchan
aoi88
Maya
Star85
alyssa
PochinkoPotanko
bellarina
13 posters
AuthorMessage
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Empty
PostSubject: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:37 am

I hope this isn't too similar to other questions that have been asked here, but I was just wondering what you all thought is the one program that best shows the side of Mao everyone agrees is best- her elegant, "ballet-like", soft/light side? I was going to make this a poll, but then I realized I also wanted to be able to talk about specific performances.

For me, it's Clair de Lune at WTT last year. What also comes to mind is...actually this might sound weird, but I think in her "True Love's Kiss" number with Jeff Buttle, she's so wonderfully elegant and beautiful- with the stretch of her arms and everything. Then of course So Deep is the Night and Nocturne also come to mind. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 pm

I think 'Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra' might have been the best for me. It was basically soft, elegant and ballet-like, and plus all that I think it had artistic depth. It inspired my imagination alot while I was watching it. As bellarina says, I feel mostly the same about 'Clair de lune', too. I wonder if they would make a LP with the same type of softness which almost makes you feel as if there's no gravity surrounding her, with a little blend of strong Mao in steps some day. Something that will show the best of soft and strong Mao at the same time in contrast.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

I love it, but I think "Clair de Lune" would be better in piano version.

My fave is also "Fantasia". The program is a masterpiece! It shows Mao's graceful style, but not in a too soft way. That's why I believe in Tat as a choreographer.

Last edited by alyssa on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Fantasi for Violin and Orchestra is my favorite, but as far "ballet-like" goes, Clair de Lune might be a little more in the pocket.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Maya
Double Axel
Double Axel
Maya

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I guess it will always be 'Nocturne' to me.
This program never fails to amaze me, I could watch it over and over and over again.
This is the soft, graceful, Ballerina-Mao I love the most. What I love the most about this short is how it is structured. So very different from today's programs..
For instance she does the Lutz first, not the big combination, and her steps aren't at the very end, but in the middlesection(which I looove!). Her spiral sequence back then was the most gorgeous she could do(I wish she'd return to that arabesque position).
And how I love her twizzle moment at the end... It's a true masterpiece <3

But Fantasia is almost as good, it's more drama(but in a very positive way). She didn't need to make faces, she was very pushing, emphasizing the character of the music with her movements and body only.
I'm still today deeply impressed by that gorgeous intense step sequence. this is also one of my favorite programs and that's a Mao I'd love to see more often Smile
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Nocturne is definitely the best program to showcase Mao's graceful and light quality. She is literally floating on ice throughout that program. cat
Claire de Lune is also a good program to show these qualities. Debussy is one of my favorite composers and I wish Mao would use more of his works for her programs.
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 pm

bellarina wrote:
What also comes to mind is...actually this might sound weird, but I think in her "True Love's Kiss" number with Jeff Buttle, she's so wonderfully elegant and beautiful- with the stretch of her arms and everything. Then of course So Deep is the Night and Nocturne also come to mind. What do you guys think?

I totally agree, bellarina! I was *amazed* by how well Mao used her arms in "True Love's Kiss." I could see that the ballet training paid off. I love you

Similarly, I feel like I've never seen Mao look as naturally expressive and lovely as she did when skating to "Over the Rainbow" as played by Miku-chan:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6lofa_24tv-mao-miku-part3_sport
Really, it almost brings tears to my eyes. Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? 997253

'Nocturne,' 'Clair de Lune' and 'So deep is the night' were excellent; I thought they really fit Mao's 'ballerina on ice' style. Love Hearts But 'Fantasy'--well, I totally agree with the Japanese announcer who commented at 2007 Nationals, "that it seems to be a Fantasy that was written for Mao Asada." I could not help but be completely enthralled. Swoon
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
sapphiresky

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 pm

I think that Mao is the type that, when she herself is touched by the program, when she can relate to it, she can bring greatness to any program. I also think that she is the best when she is relaxed and feels nothing but the music and her skating.

Having said this- my order:

1. Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra- words cannot describe how beautiful this program is- every note of the music is highlighted. Gorgeous!

2. So Deep is the Night- Made me cry, so beautiful!

3. Nocturne- Made me fall in love with Mao! So soft and delicate- only she can pull this off!

4. Masquerade (season 2009-2010)- I love this because even if it's not the typical slow and lyrical music, Mao's strengths really shine! Her SP at the Olympics was amazing! She was truly a ballerina then, dancing as if in a ball- especially during the step sequence, and she was truly happy! I think it's a competition program that also showcases her bubbly personality, which we mostly see in EX's.

5. A Whole New World- she was so cheerful, so into the music and just flowing across the ice.
Over the rainbow, Clair de Lune are also great!
Did I mention that I loved anything to do with Chopin?!? Mao is really one of the best interpretors of Chopin on ice!

I think I will also add Bells to that list- I know a lot of people don't like it, but there are a lot of nuiances in there that I only picked up after watching it a couple of times. It's hauntingly beautiful.

Really, Mao's grace, beautiful quality will come through no matter what, but I suppose some programs highlight that more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 3:41 am

Like others have already mentioned: Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra.

I actually think 'Czardas' showed Mao's "graceful, beautiful quality" very well!

I know Mao struggled a lot with that program in her first few competitions, but her performance of it at 2007 Worlds was so engaging, and so very graceful and beautiful Many Hearts .

She was like a playful, mischievous firecracker on the ice Razz. Love it!
Back to top Go down
mingming
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
mingming

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:57 am

It's too hard to choose one, but I think it's Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra for me. The performance at World was the best. Yep!
But I think Nocturn, So deep is the night, Clair de Lune, Masquerade(for SP after Nats),True Love's Kiss, and A Whole New World showed her beauty too. So many! Laugh
And I agree with you Batsuchan, Over the Rainbow with Miku-chan was sooo beautiful...She expressed the music with her body, especially with her back.
That performance showed her character. She looked like an goddess Mushy Love
Back to top Go down
dangerous_angel_face
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
dangerous_angel_face

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Nocturne was really made for Mao. She was so liquid on the ice, she just became that music. It showcased her strength perfectly.

So deep is the night was maybe her most beautiful program.

Fantasy for Violin and orchestra was amazing, showcasing Mao's already existing strength while bringing out new qualities.

I adore Caprices. It's a program that shows a funloving Mao while also bringing out a more mature, flirty Mao. (I hope she'll use it as a sp or fs in the future)

I also think she's wonderful in programs like True love's kiss and A whole new world. Almost makes me wish she'd do Disney on ice (almost). After all, who could make a better princess than Mao?

Alright, I admit that I can't choose.
Back to top Go down
MikiAndoFan#1
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
MikiAndoFan#1

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Fantaisie-Impromptu!

Mushy Love
Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:25 pm

For me, Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra was just the perfect mix of grace and power. She expressed that music with every part of her body--I especially loved the step sequence. Every time I see that performance from Worlds, it blows me away.

Runners-up for me would be Fantaisie Impromptu, Nocturne, Claire de Lune, Caprice, Masquerade (Olympics), and Bells (Nats and 4CC).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?   Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which program best shows Mao's graceful, beautiful quality?
Page 1 of 1