Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!

Go down 
+55
mini34ans
cera
whiteboots2013
europeanfan
shar
let`s talk
Batsuchan
skating_fanatic
AmazingGraceMao
☆Genie
Lady_in_black
COHK
Dani-Chan
josling
klarification
kisses
Abdiel
l-spiralmao
KariDebate
joyfuls
bellarina
dangerous_angel_face
bibi
patknowsbest
CraZsk8r
sapphiresky
aoi88
pearlyriver
Ken Himura
kitty
illani
tigster
kenkyo
babayaga
chapis
Star85
BowbowDaijin
chiyori
PochinkoPotanko
polosatik
silenceisgolden
Mao2012
kirakira
MaoChan756
shikure
Alokya
linglang
swan
Mao_Asada_sunrise
ballerinamao
zarinaballerina
maowataiyo
roma
inskate
ddmm
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 am

polosatik wrote:
roma wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Oh, and some news articles here mentioned that Mao said 'If I can make it to Sochi, I think my motivations will rise more and more'. Plus somebody close to her team has commented 'Actually, Sato's plans for Mao are succeeding more than it seems. Mao is convinced and okay with not including her 3A. Last season she was in bad shape but her mother died so that was unavoidable. I think she has overcome the feeling that she's in a slump now'. Sato and his wife has also commented 'Although Mao can do much better in practice, we're quite confident that she'll get better (in competitions as the season goes on)' Thumbs up!
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20121103-00000312-tospoweb-spo

Thumbs up! I'm delighted to read this. When we see whatever small clips we get of her practices it seems Mao looks better but then during competition doesn't perform to what she's capable of in practice. I'm glad that quote confirmed it and that Mao's win in China, even if it's a less than perfect skate, seem to increase her motivation to do more.
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Btw, who has the world record for winning most in GPS? Yuna? Kostner? Question

I think Irina has the most number of GP wins and by that, I mean gold. (excl GPF)
From a tweet after CoC ladies' FS:
Quote :
Mao Asada now has 7 ladies' Grand Prix wins, joining Kim Yu-Na in 2nd place behind Irina Slutskaya (11) for most wins this century.
However, I counted 12 GP wins for Irina* from Wikipedia (CoR, NHK, SC, CoC)
Yuna has 7 GP wins. (CoC, CoR, TEB, SA)
Mao has 7 also (TEB, CoC, CoR, SC and NHK)
*(Based on current 6 GP events)

Irina and Yuna have won gold in 4/6 events, Mao has won in 5/6 events. If she ever gets SA again and win there that'll be a grand slam.

But for GPF: Irina has 4 wins, Yuna has 3 while Mao has 2.

Yep, that's because in 1996 was a Nations Cup which also counted as a GP event. Now it's not exist. Smile I counted with GPF wins also, so 4 wins in GPF and 12 in GP events =16. Anyway Irina has the highest number of victories in GP series.

But nevertheless, way to go Irina!!!!! flower
When we look back on these things...it does make me wonder a bit why winning gold at Olys is such a big deal. Irina never won gold, neither did Kwan. But everyone knows they were the best at their times and won't forget their performances anyways. Yep!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
swan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 pm

zarinaballerina wrote:
swan wrote:
Mao2012 wrote:
So, if Mao wins SA next year, she'll become the first female skater to win all the GP events? Happy dance

i wonder if japanese federation will be willing to send mao. it would be so great if she were to win skate america! she'd need to keep up her consistency this year to boost her reputation with the judges next year in order to counter the overscoring. would this be considered a career grand slam in figure skating? and to add an olympic gold medal to that, a career golden slam? Boogie

oh yes, please. I like both options, the grand slam and especially the golden slam. Yep! Swoon But the question is also, would SA want her?

to be real, i borrowed the terms from tennis but it seems to work well for figure skating, doesn't it? Too sweet!

yu-na was able to win skate america in 2009, so i don't see why a confident and consistent mao wouldn't be able to win skate america. sure, yu-na is the queen of overscoring and mao's potential american competitors (ashley and alissa hyped up by american skating federation and gracie gold has a lot of talent) are likely to be much more challenging than yu-na's were (only "real" american competition for her in 2009 was rachael flatt). mao just needs to skate very cleanly with high difficulty. for me, it's a matter of her being sent there by the federation.
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

To be honest, I think Alissa is not going to get that overscoring issue back - although I don't think she was NEARLY as overscored as Ashley Wagner this season so far! If Gracie Gold becomes consistent, then she will probably be overscored. I really hope that USFSA invites Mao over here next season so that she has the chance to do win Skate America!
Back to top Go down
kenkyo
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kenkyo

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 pm

guys i haven't been watching much of ashley's videos, but don't you think she's over scored only when she's in the US? and as for mao hope she can fix the < on the 3F, and she just needs a bit of confidence Smile
Back to top Go down
CraZsk8r

CraZsk8r

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 3:56 pm

im just always glad to see Mao-tan smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 3:06 pm

kenkyo wrote:
guys i haven't been watching much of ashley's videos, but don't you think she's over scored only when she's in the US?

I think she gets totally inflanted scores in the US, but i also think that her scores outside the US are also too high, I feel that every year they try to boost certain skaters, to make the sport more exciting, and have new competitors be a threat, it's as if they want to prevent the current top skaters from winning everything, and therefor try to boost new skaters. The problem I have with this is that through Ashley may have found consistency and fiksed her jumps, her skating still isn't much different from before, i know that she recently shines with confidence due to her recent success, but that doesn't cover the other the things she lacks in skating, like her basic skating skills, I just feel i am watching someone walking when she skates, she is very rough to the ice, her gliding is just horrible to look at, and her movement when she goes from one element to another is very restricted! her jumps really don't have much flow out of them, and to me they look awkward. her choreography/transitions consists of posing, posing and more posing. the judges seem to like it, but i cringe every time she does it!
I know that now i have focused on the negative things but, even the things that's she is suppost to do well look average, nothing that sets her apart!

when I watch her skating i really feel spoiled when i think about what Mao brings to the ice, there just is a worlds difference between there skating, even if the scores don't always reflect that.

right now I just hope that Mao finds her full motivation again,and regains her top form as soon as possible,
I have already re-watched both her programs every day, and i really love her sp more and more!
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 6:41 pm

ballerinamao wrote:
kenkyo wrote:
guys i haven't been watching much of ashley's videos, but don't you think she's over scored only when she's in the US?

I think she gets totally inflanted scores in the US, but i also think that her scores outside the US are also too high, I feel that every year they try to boost certain skaters, to make the sport more exciting, and have new competitors be a threat, it's as if they want to prevent the current top skaters from winning everything, and therefor try to boost new skaters. The problem I have with this is that through Ashley may have found consistency and fiksed her jumps, her skating still isn't much different from before, i know that she recently shines with confidence due to her recent success, but that doesn't cover the other the things she lacks in skating, like her basic skating skills, I just feel i am watching someone walking when she skates, she is very rough to the ice, her gliding is just horrible to look at, and her movement when she goes from one element to another is very restricted! her jumps really don't have much flow out of them, and to me they look awkward. her choreography/transitions consists of posing, posing and more posing. the judges seem to like it, but i cringe every time she does it!
I know that now i have focused on the negative things but, even the things that's she is suppost to do well look average, nothing that sets her apart!

when I watch her skating i really feel spoiled when i think about what Mao brings to the ice, there just is a worlds difference between there skating, even if the scores don't always reflect that.

right now I just hope that Mao finds her full motivation again,and regains her top form as soon as possible,
I have already re-watched both her programs every day, and i really love her sp more and more!

Even though I like Ashley (more her personality than her skating; I have to admit that I liked her performances more when she was only a middle class skater), I agree they're giving her too much scores lately in and out of the US. Like ballerinamao says, not just her jumps have bad landings alot, but her skating overall isn't of that much quality. When it comes to her skating skills, I think she was even doing a better job before she turned all muscular and used to lose stamina in the latter half of her FPs...I know she worked hard to overcome such weakpoints and she succeeded mostly in doing so, kudos for her there! But it seems she had to sacrifice the grace she used to have in order to do so and turn into more of a power skater. I'm happy she's confident now, but the fragile beauty she did have in the past is totally gone, and I miss that. Sad

The other thing that bothers me is that however much bad landings she has and mistakes here and then, she's getting too good at making it all see okay. Although I do like that sort of positive attitude in a skater, I'd be more comfortable if I knew that she's aware for sure that things were not at all well done...but with the judges scoring her like they do now, I kind of have the feeling that she's not taking her mistakes as seriously as she used to. I'd rather like to see the kind of attitude Machida and Dai showed after their medallings at COC...they made the podium, but they both were extremely unsatisfied with how they did in their FPs, kept on saying they feel shamed about how they'd done that night and said they were determined to do better next time whatever it takes. It's just probabaly a cultral difference when it comes to the way athletes act after a victory which wasn't truely deserved, but I hope Ashley felt the same about her FP in SA esp even if she didn't show it. Yep, Sadly

I'm quite sure the judges will keep on being sweet on her, so if she can't figure out her problems and work hard on them herself, Ashley is gonna end up having real big problems once the young Russian girls become more perfected. I think USSF wants her to become their new heroine, and ISU wants a lady from the US in order to boost tv ratings and the popularity of the sport on their way to Sochi...I can understand that and although because of it scores won't be fair at times, I don't think that's avoidable (not saying I like it though). Same for Kira, same for Osmond...same for any countire's best hope for Sochi. Neutral

Still, in the end...every skater has to at least land their jumps as cleanly as possible to win; even if they're doubled or singled. GP is a tough series of competitions for the skaters, but I basically think it's more of an opportunity for the judges to see how they're doing and send the skaters some messges here and there to polish up the bad bits towards the end of the season. In that sense, I think it was correct for the tech team to be strict for all the ladies at COC, and hope they keep up that attitude in the coming GP competitions, unlike what I saw they were doing at SA and SC. They really should be strict towards the skaters during GP, and see how they'll overcome and perfect their pros by each Nats and Worlds. As of Mao, I'm quite confident she knows what she was and wasn't able to deliver at COC, so I'm not so worried about her. Yep!
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:13 pm

swan wrote:

to be real, i borrowed the terms from tennis but it seems to work well for figure skating, doesn't it? Too sweet!

yu-na was able to win skate america in 2009, so i don't see why a confident and consistent mao wouldn't be able to win skate america. sure, yu-na is the queen of overscoring and mao's potential american competitors (ashley and alissa hyped up by american skating federation and gracie gold has a lot of talent) are likely to be much more challenging than yu-na's were (only "real" american competition for her in 2009 was rachael flatt). mao just needs to skate very cleanly with high difficulty. for me, it's a matter of her being sent there by the federation.

It works perfectly! Yep!

Yes, but like you said it was Yuna "the queen" competing against Rachael. No one, not even US Fed expected Rachael to beat her, and they wanted the Olympic gold medal favourite there, to atract more audience.
I think it's different this time around, they want an American (probably Ashley, unless Gold gets her act together) to win, so the media can set up the hype about the said skater for the Olympics.

ballerinamao wrote:

ballerinamao, you sumed it up perfectly. Thumbs up! I agree with everything. And there were people wondering on other forums, how Mao could've gotten the same PCS at CoC as confident Ashley did at Scam America. Someone needs to explain to them that PCS isn't about looking confident, it's about one's skating abilities and performance... The question should've been, how on earth did Mao receive such a low PCS, to match Ashley's at SA. 127 points for posing, and that PCS?! Mad

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
As of Mao, I'm quite confident she knows what she was and wasn't able to deliver at COC, so I'm not so worried about her. Yep!

THIS. Thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
kenkyo
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kenkyo

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbkbRGCeqY what is mao saying? can anyone transelate Very Happy?
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 pm

I've been wanting Mao to come to SA forever. Now that this has been brought to my attention, I really want her to come! Although if she came next season a big part of me would be very frustrated that she came the year AFTER SA was held 45 min from where I live Frustrated
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
swan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 pm

i still don't buy that mao in maximization mode (amazing choreography, difficult program, incredible jumps, great speed, clean skating, basically everything perfect) can't beat an overhyped and overscored ashley, even in skate america. if mao wins the world championships next year and comes in skate america as reigning world champion, that should help boost her reputation with the judges. but, like i said, mao must be in maximization mode. no more sub-par programs with sub-par choreography with sub-par jumps. anything sub-par will hand over the gold to ashley unless ashley makes a large number of grave mistakes. however, she doesn't have to go to next year's skate america if she isn't ready. if she decides to continue after the sochi olympics, she can go for that career grand slam then.

thanks, kenkyo, for the link!
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:17 pm

swan wrote:
i still don't buy that mao in maximization mode (amazing choreography, difficult program, incredible jumps, great speed, clean skating, basically everything perfect) can't beat an overhyped and overscored ashley, even in skate america. if mao wins the world championships next year and comes in skate america as reigning world champion, that should help boost her reputation with the judges. but, like i said, mao must be in maximization mode. no more sub-par programs with sub-par choreography with sub-par jumps. anything sub-par will hand over the gold to ashley unless ashley makes a large number of grave mistakes. however, she doesn't have to go to next year's skate america if she isn't ready. if she decides to continue after the sochi olympics, she can go for that career grand slam then.

Mao doesn't need another world title, all her titles, and history in the sport speaks for itself, it's after all not a new skater we have to do with, we are talking about Mao Asada, she has proven herself on plenty occasions and has been a dominating skaters since she was a junior, her name in the sport will always remain no matter what happens from here on!
The problem is that Mao hasn't quite been herself last year, her performance at worlds was a meltdown and waaay below her usual standard, and her performance at the US was a solid Mao (with a few mistakes) but it was in the US, and we all know that they certainly took advantage of Mao's mistake by boosting there own skater, and it helped them alot that ashley was clean that day. then there is JO but Mao gave alot of points away there (that mistake on the spin alone would have let her win ), so what I am trying to say is that if we look at what Mao delivered at these competitions and what she was capable of delivering we all know she would have won all three competitions if only she made one or two mistake less. ofcourse at worlds if only she took the safe road she would have had that title too but considering what happened, and how thin she appeared there after her mother passed away the results was understandable considering her circumstances!

but I have to say at JO and at COC is where I saw a glimpse of the old Mao, it seems that she has found her determination back, she looks more confident this season, and she also seems like she is enjoying herself on the ice again! I think that what Mao has been through the last two seasons has been more devastating on her then what we expected! but I think time will heal her wounds and this is only the beginning of the season, I am sure Mao is returning, and for me the biggest indication to that was her expression when she took the ice and when she was standing on the podium, her expression there just spoke it all.

I was sooo happy to see how the the audience reacted after Mao's performance, there reaction says alot about her performance, but the important thing for me,is that the audience and fans makes Mao understand what she means for them and for the sport. those little things like seeing how loved and how appreciated she is can make a huge difference to a skater, especially in Mao's case her issues seem to have been more mental, considering how she has skated in practice! so seeing all the support is exactly what Mao needed after all the obstacles she has been through, to give her,her motivation and make her strong determination be awakened again!

Back to top Go down
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
swan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm

ballerinamao wrote:
swan wrote:

Mao doesn't need another world title, all her titles, and history in the sport speaks for itself, it's after all not a new skater we have to do with, we are talking about Mao Asada, she has proven herself on plenty occasions and has been a dominating skaters since she was a junior, her name in the sport will always remain no matter what happens from here on!
The problem is that Mao hasn't quite been herself last year, her performance at worlds was a meltdown and waaay below her usual standard, and her performance at the US was a solid Mao (with a few mistakes) but it was in the US, and we all know that they certainly took advantage of Mao's mistake by boosting there own skater, and it helped them alot that ashley was clean that day. then there is JO but Mao gave alot of points away there (that mistake on the spin alone would have let her win ), so what I am trying to say is that if we look at what Mao delivered at these competitions and what she was capable of delivering we all know she would have won all three competitions if only she made one or two mistake less. ofcourse at worlds if only she took the safe road she would have had that title too but considering what happened, and how thin she appeared there after her mother passed away the results was understandable considering her circumstances!

but I have to say at JO and at COC is where I saw a glimpse of the old Mao, it seems that she has found her determination back, she looks more confident this season, and she also seems like she is enjoying herself on the ice again! I think that what Mao has been through the last two seasons has been more devastating on her then what we expected! but I think time will heal her wounds and this is only the beginning of the season, I am sure Mao is returning, and for me the biggest indication to that was her expression when she took the ice and when she was standing on the podium, her expression there just spoke it all.

I was sooo happy to see how the the audience reacted after Mao's performance, there reaction says alot about her performance, but the important thing for me,is that the audience and fans makes Mao understand what she means for them and for the sport. those little things like seeing how loved and how appreciated she is can make a huge difference to a skater, especially in Mao's case her issues seem to have been more mental, considering how she has skated in practice! so seeing all the support is exactly what Mao needed after all the obstacles she has been through!

for fans, it's easy for us to remember how much mao has done for the sport. but for judges, due to mao's performances from the last two seasons, they seem to forget the things mao has done or simply don't care. when i say boost reputation with the judges, i mean show the judges that she can deliver consistently. it seems that the judges look at her as if she isn't likely to deliver. if they have room to deduct harshly, they will (level 3 footwork sequence at cup of china). in conclusion, skate strongly, leave a strong impression for the judges (therefore they will look at her as if she's going to deliver).
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Quote :
for fans, it's easy for us to remember how much mao has done for the sport. but for judges, due to mao's performances from the last two seasons, they seem to forget the things mao has done or simply don't care. when i say boost reputation with the judges, i mean show the judges that she can deliver consistently. it seems that the judges look at her as if she isn't likely to deliver. if they have room to deduct harshly, they will (level 3 footwork sequence at cup of china). in conclusion, skate strongly, leave a strong impression for the judges (therefore they will look at her as if she's going to deliver).

I have no doubt that Mao will do that, like I said before she is getting there, Sato himself said in the interview that he believes Mao will do that! and don't forget Mao herself has a very high standard to herself, she clearly didn't seem to be satisfied with what she delievered, and that says alot, Cause i was really totally blown away by her beautiful skating, and couldn't stop rewatching both her programs, so let's just wait and see, I am sure it's going to be mindbobling when she skates to her programs in her best condition!

as a side note, it will be really interesting to see if her layout will change as the season progresses, and if it does, to see what be changed!

Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 pm

kenkyo wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbkbRGCeqY what is mao saying? can anyone transelate Very Happy?

Mao said in this vid...

1.It's been a long time since my last win, so I am happy with this victory (COC)

2.I hadn't been able to deliver my pros as I've imagined them in my head and couldn't succeed the jumps I had (over the past 2 seasons), so I was very troubled for a certain period which got in my way to focus on my practicing...and so, I felt I wanted to take a break from skating for a short while.

3.I hope I can do better in NHK trophy to meet the expectations of the fans who support me.

Between 2 and 3, the narration said 'Mao was able to restart the season with a fresh feeling, by not thinking too much about skating (before the season)'
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 5:26 am

Nikkei.com article on Mao:

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZZO48067140V01C12A1000000/

Can somebody please translate briefly? TY.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 7:03 am

ballerinamao wrote:
I have no doubt that Mao will do that, like I said before she is getting there, Sato himself said in the interview that he believes Mao will do that! and don't forget Mao herself has a very high standard to herself, she clearly didn't seem to be satisfied with what she delievered, and that says alot, Cause i was really totally blown away by her beautiful skating, and couldn't stop rewatching both her programs, so let's just wait and see, I am sure it's going to be mindbobling when she skates to her programs in her best condition!

Me too, I've seen her CoC programs 100 times already, and still I can't get it enough. I can't wait for Mao to have a "perfect" performance, it trully is going to be mindbogling. Swoon Faint2

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
I hope I can do better in NHK trophy to meet the expectations of the fans who support me.

Mao, don't worry about our (the fans) expectations. Just seeing you on the ice enjoying yourself is enough. Yep! Wub

Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 am

Me too, I've seen her CoC programs 100 times already, and still I can't get it enough. I can't wait for Mao to have a "perfect" performance, it truly is going to be mindbogling. Swoon Faint2

the first thing that came to my mind when I watched the program, was that the 6 minutes are far to little, I could watch her skate for hours, she just made me forget the elements, and let me enjoy every aspect of her skating, she just has a certain presence, that's quit, light, smooth, and natural when she skates. one thing, that really sets Mao apart from the other skaters is how sincere her skating is, her personality is not shadowed by the choreography but rather shines through, it's just her way of owning every program she skates to!

when I watch most skaters, i mostly feel that it's the music cut and choreography that plays the biggest part to how popular the programs and skater is, and not the actual skating. this is probably why Mao never dissapoints, and why i was soo spellbound by her skating.
it's because no matter what she wears or what she skates to, she always makes it work, and it always works because of her special qualities, her skating skills, amazing spins, her fast and difficult steps, her beautiful jumps, her positioning, her line. When one has those qualities you can give the skater anything, and that skater will make it work.
it's Mao's skating, that makes me admire Mao so much, it wasn't the costumes or the choreography that caught my attention the first time I saw her. of course her amazing technical content and flexibility was also part of why Mao caught my attention, but little by little I began to notice her other qualities that sets her apart!

if I could change the rules i would make Mao's performance longer Mushy Love I really can't wait to see Mao skate again!

Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:23 am

roma wrote:

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Camisetadenirotalkingto
Just joking roma! Laugh
Sure I'd be happy to translate it for you (but only the important bits briefly cause this article is long! affraid )

Quote :
"Smile Returns to Mao Asada; The 'pleasure of skating' she expressed in COC"

When Mao's coquettish smile bounced, the judges grinned a moment as if their noses were brushed by a fresh wind. Mao went on charming (the audience) with swinging steps to 'I Got Rythm'.

'When I made my senior debut, I was wearing orange with a ponytail, so while I was doing my make-up, I was reminded of those times. And I was able to relax and dance on the ice during my SP. In that sense I felt like I was getting a bit closer to how I was at 15, and it made me feel good'

When Mao made her senior debut in 2005, she used to do difficult jumps as if they were nothing. She surprised everyone in those days saying 'I don't know how feeling nervous is like, because I've never experienced it before'. It's been 7 years since then...how has skating changed within Mao?

The past 2 seasons, she ended up being 6th in Worlds. She did return to practice after last season since it's become a habit for her, but she wasn't able to focus on it.

"Every time after Worlds, I always had a new target to work on. But this year I wasn't able to think that way. It was like I kept asking myself 'what am I doing?'".

Without any motivations, practicing doesn't bring out much. So she discussed this matter with Sato, and he advised her to take some time off skating.

"I told her I'm not limiting her time off and she can do whatever she likes. If she needed a month or even more, until she feels she wants to skate again, it was fine with me. I think any skater would need a period of time to forget the sport and rest themselves both physically and mentally at some point. After then they can start again from basics. So I didn't go to Nagoya, and Mao didn't come to Yokohama for a while...I think we didn't practice together for about 3 months" said Sato.

It's rare for Jpnse skaters to take long periods off, but for many foreign skaters it not unusual to take around a month off from practicing. Mao used this time to travel in and out of Jpn and lived her days away from skating. During then she did practice on her own, but still she couldn't focus or feel like going back to skating truely. She says she even thought about quitting skating, but shortly before an ice show she appeared in July, her emotions began to change.

"I thought it wouldn't be good for me to go on like then. I started to question myself like 'What am I doing?', and re-started my practicing. At first I had to push my emotions back into skating".

While Mao couldn't help asking herself 'What am I doing?' on or off the ice, and without being able to find the right motivation, she still couldn't give up skating.

When Mao came back to practice, Sato did not only welcome her back warmly, but rather with a warm strictness.

'I made her do everything as usual; everything from the basics again. I didn't go easy on her, but I pressured her alot. Being sweet on her won't do any good, because it's a harsh (skating) world'.

Although Sato gave Mao unlimited time off, once she came back he had hard work ready for her as he always had. Taking time off the ice cost Mao alot too. 'I couldn't get the feeling (for skating back so easily)' said Mao, and she went on practicing more than 4hrs everyday since then. After her new SP and FP were ready, her practices became of more higher levels as well.

Mao shared the rink with Takahiko during practice. She skated when her music was on, and when Takahiko's music is on she'd go back to Sato and listen to his words. And then right after that her music is on again...

"I think it's tough for them to practice, because both their jumps and skating skills are still far from what I consider to be good" said Sato.

Maybe his strict coaching ways were necessary for Mao. 'Once I returned to practice, skating returned to be the main factor of my daily life' she said.

Sato's way of coaching is very steady-going.

"I have no tactics nor secrets in coaching. I'm not the type to set a goal and plan things (for my skaters) either. If you can do up to this much (today), I try to let them go a bit more further (the next day)...I only repeat that. To get better little by little is the target. That's what I always say to them"

"I do not set goals whatsoever, should they be entering Sochi, or making the podium at Worlds"

These were totally different ways of thinking compared to Mao's. Mao had said 'I imagine myself in the Olys (some day)' since she was 15, and had been practicing by setting her goal on winning in Olys. After teaming up with Sato, she held on to a feeling of adherence on her 3As, even while she was reforming her jumps. This at times didn't do her good during the past 2 seasons.

After restarting her practice with Sato with no particular target in sight, Mao realised something had changed within her. She was able to jump her lutz more or less consistantly eversince she started fixing it 5 years ago. She was able to notice her skating overall becoming more powerful or smooth; something Sato had been telling her over and over to pay more attention to. And when she notices she's done it right, at the same time she hears Sato's voice calling to her 'Well done' or 'Don't forget that (feeling)'.

"During the last 2 seasons, it was reforming on and on. I was always confused thinking 'Is this the right way?' or 'Is this it, or was that it?'"

"But now those confused feelings are gone. My senses can understand what Sato-sensei is saying, and when that happens I can say to myself 'I got it right' and that makes me very happy" said Mao.

By letting go of her goals she had set for herself in the past, Mao began to absorb what she can from Sato's coaching. Now it's the little steps she's becoming able to take which have turned into her motivations to skate.

"I think I can go on to a higher level this season. I feel that I can rely on myself more both technically and mentally" Mao added.

And so, Mao was able to deliver performances without hesitation at COC. She had let go of her 3A commenting 'We don't even talk about it' and said she'll simply 'skate my pros as I do in practice'.

"The type of skating which Sato-sensei had always been telling me about has finally started to become absorbed in me. I can skate in much more different ways (than before) now".

"I know now what my goal is. I want to be able to feel the pleasure of skating. If I can see it's there, I can go on. Although I am happy too about winning a medal after such a long time, I'm more happy that I was able to find more elements I can polish at the start (of the season) for my next competition" said Mao.

This season Mao wants herself to 'get better a little bit each time'. This may sound sober, but it must be the true pleasure she used to feel in practicing skating up until she became 15.

article written by Mie Noguchi
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:41 am

Thank you for the translation Pochi.

Mao said that her lutz are clean in practice. Maybe she thinks too much in competition.

I think some of you said that her SP looked too juniorish. But in this article as well as in another one I read before, Mao said that she intended to have to different programs : an SP that reminds when she was 15 and a FP that is shows herself now. Not bad !

Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
roma wrote:

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Camisetadenirotalkingto
Just joking roma! Laugh
Sure I'd be happy to translate it for you (but only the important bits briefly cause this article is long! affraid )

Quote :

When Mao's coquettish smile bounced, the judges grinned a moment as if their noses were brushed by a fresh wind. Mao went on charming (the audience) with swinging steps to 'I Got Rythm'.

'When I made my senior debut, I was wearing orange with a ponytail, so while I was doing my make-up, I was reminded of those times. And I was able to relax and dance on the ice during my SP. In that sense I felt like I was getting a bit closer to how I was at 15, and it made me feel good'

When Mao made her senior debut in 2005, she used to do difficult jumps as if they were nothing. She surprised everyone in those days saying 'I don't know how feeling nervous is like, because I've never experienced it before'. It's been 7 years since then...how has skating changed within Mao?

The past 2 seasons, she ended up being 6th in Worlds. She did return to practice after last season since it's become a habit for her, but she wasn't able to focus on it.

"Every time after Worlds, I always had a new target to work on. But this year I wasn't able to think that way. It was like I kept asking myself 'what am I doing?'".

Without any motivations, practicing doesn't bring out much. So she discussed this matter with Sato, and he advised her to take some time off skating.

"I told her I'm not limiting her time off and she can do whatever she likes. If she needed a month or even more, until she feels she wants to skate again, it was fine with me. I think any skater would need a period of time to forget the sport and rest themselves both physically and mentally at some point. After then they can start again from basics. So I didn't go to Nagoya, and Mao didn't come to Yokohama for a while...I think we didn't practice together for about 3 months" said Sato.

It's rare for Jpnse skaters to take long periods off, but for many foreign skaters it not unusual to take around a month off from practicing. Mao used this time to travel in and out of Jpn and lived her days away from skating. During then she did practice on her own, but still she couldn't focus or feel like going back to skating truely. She says she even thought about quitting skating, but shortly before an ice show she appeared in July, her emotions began to change.

"I thought it wouldn't be good for me to go on like then. I started to question myself like 'What am I doing?', and re-started my practicing. At first I had to push my emotions back into skating".

While Mao couldn't help asking herself 'What am I doing?' on or off the ice, and without being able to find the right motivation, she still couldn't give up skating.

When Mao came back to practice, Sato did not only welcome her back warmly, but rather with a warm strictness.

'I made her do everything as usual; everything from the basics again. I didn't go easy on her, but I pressured her alot. Being sweet on her won't do any good, because it's a harsh (skating) world'.

Although Sato gave Mao unlimited time off, once she came back he had hard work ready for her as he always had. Taking time off the ice cost Mao alot too. 'I couldn't get the feeling (for skating back so easily)' said Mao, and she went on practicing more than 4hrs everyday since then. After her new SP and FP were ready, her practices became of more higher levels as well.

Mao shared the rink with Takahiko during practice. She skated when her music was on, and when Takahiko's music is on she'd go back to Sato and listen to his words. And then right after that her music is on again...

"I think it's tough for them to practice, because both their jumps and skating skills are still far from what I consider to be good" said Sato.

Maybe his strict coaching ways were necessary for Mao. 'Once I returned to practice, skating returned to be the main factor of my daily life' she said.

"I have no tactics nor secrets in coaching. I'm not the type to set a goal and plan things (for my skaters) either. If you can do up to this much (today), I try to let them go a bit more further (the next day)...I only repeat that. To get better little by little is the target. That's what I always say to them"

"I do not set goals whatsoever, should they be entering Sochi, or making the podium at Worlds"

These were totally different ways of thinking compared to Mao's. Mao had said 'I imagine myself in the Olys (some day)' since she was 15, and had been practicing by setting her goal on winning in Olys. After teaming up with Sato, she held on to a feeling of adherence on her 3As, even while she was reforming her jumps. This at times didn't do her good during the past 2 seasons.

After restarting her practice with Sato with no particular target in sight, Mao realised something had changed within her. She was able to jump her lutz more or less consistantly eversince she started fixing it 5 years ago. She was able to notice her skating overall becoming more powerful or smooth; something Sato had been telling her over and over to pay more attention to. And when she notices she's done it right, at the same time she hears Sato's voice calling to her 'Well done' or 'Don't forget that (feeling)'.

"During the last 2 seasons, it was reforming on and on. I was always confused thinking 'Is this the right way?' or 'Is this it, or was that it?'"

"But now those confused feelings are gone. My senses can understand what Sato-sensei is saying, and when that happens I can say to myself 'I got it right' and that makes me very happy" said Mao.

By letting go of her goals she had set for herself in the past, Mao began to absorb what she can from Sato's coaching. Now it's the little steps she's becoming able to take which have turned into her motivations to skate.

"I think I can go on to a higher level this season. I feel that I can rely on myself more both technically and mentally" Mao added.

And so, Mao was able to deliver performances without hesitation at COC. She had let go of her 3A commenting 'We don't even talk about it' and said she'll simply 'skate my pros as I do in practice'.

"The type of skating which Sato-sensei had always been telling me about has finally started to become absorbed in me. I can skate in much more different ways (than before) now".

"I know now what my goal is. I want to be able to feel the pleasure of skating. If I can see it's there, I can go on. Although I am happy too about winning a medal after such a long time, I'm more happy that I was able to find more elements I can polish at the start (of the season) for my next competition" said Mao.

This season Mao wants herself to 'get better a little bit each time'. This may sound sober, but it must be the true pleasure she used to feel in practicing skating up until she became 15.

affraid I can't believe that Mao took THREE MONTH of skating, that means she is three month short of practice that is a long time! Shocked good heaven, it kind of amazing that she didn't withdraw from the GP due to practically no preparation WOW!

Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Pochi, thank you soooooo much! Worship This is actually more than the brief trans I was hoping for. It's like you translated that entire long article. Tried Google translate on it earlier but definitely hurt my head trying to understand.

This article shed a lot of light into Mao's current performances this season. We know she went on a 2-3 week break in Hungary but I never imagined the break would last almost 3 months. Granted she practiced on her own but without Sato-sensei's coaching. No wonder she have jump issues during JO and CoC. Now I ain't so worried on those URs anymore. I think they will be better next competition. I'm very interested in that Lutz part. Does it mean she can now do a proper lutz in practices more consistently? We know in competitions she still have problems with it so it's only a matter of time she gets it right there. We saw her asking Taka is her lutz was ok during JO so I think she can really do it in practices already.

It's good Mao felt this way after last season and that Sato-sensei gave her time off to find out what she really wants. It has slowly brought us our old Mao back -- the one who loved skating. It has also made Mao realize the fruits of all those hardships she went through during reforming.

However, I am somewhat undecided while reading this part:
"I have no tactics nor secrets in coaching. I'm not the type to set a goal and plan things (for my skaters) either."
Seems this contributed to Mao's recent answers when asked about her goals in recent interviews. Still, I can't help but feel sad about the last phrase -- planning things for his skaters. Right now with Mao having just returned to the ice and slowly building confidence again this may seem ok but I hope that mindset will change later on as Mao and Taka progress further.
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am

ddmm wrote:

I think some of you said that her SP looked too juniorish. But in this article as well as in another one I read before, Mao said that she intended to have to different programs : an SP that reminds when she was 15 and a FP that is shows herself now. Not bad !

I know I'm one of them. Razz It seems she really skated an SP which reminded me when she was 15. However, it's slowly growing on me watching that HD clip of the program. Can't wait to see it with its real costume at NHK.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 am

Pochi thank you so much for translating!!! Thank you! Daisies for you

ballerinamao wrote:
affraid I can't believe that Mao took THREE MONTH of skating, that means she is three month short of practice that is a long time! Shocked good heaven, it kind of amazing that she didn't withdraw from the GP due to practically no preparation WOW!

Me either, i thought she took 2 weeks off, but this... Shocked Well it certainly did her good. Yep!
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am

roma wrote:
Pochi, thank you soooooo much! Worship This is actually more than the brief trans I was hoping for. It's like you translated that entire long article. Tried Google translate on it earlier but definitely hurt my head trying to understand.

This article shed a lot of light into Mao's current performances this season. We know she went on a 2-3 week break in Hungary but I never imagined the break would last almost 3 months. Granted she practiced on her own but without Sato-sensei's coaching. No wonder she have jump issues during JO and CoC. Now I ain't so worried on those URs anymore. I think they will be better next competition. I'm very interested in that Lutz part. Does it mean she can now do a proper lutz in practices more consistently? We know in competitions she still have problems with it so it's only a matter of time she gets it right there. We saw her asking Taka is her lutz was ok during JO so I think she can really do it in practices already.

It's good Mao felt this way after last season and that Sato-sensei gave her time off to find out what she really wants. It has slowly brought us our old Mao back -- the one who loved skating. It has also made Mao realize the fruits of all those hardships she went through during reforming.

However, I am somewhat undecided while reading this part:
"I have no tactics nor secrets in coaching. I'm not the type to set a goal and plan things (for my skaters) either."
Seems this contributed to Mao's recent answers when asked about her goals in recent interviews. Still, I can't help but feel sad about the last phrase -- planning things for his skaters. Right now with Mao having just returned to the ice and slowly building confidence again this may seem ok but I hope that mindset will change later on as Mao and Taka progress further.

Your very welcome roma...and actually the pleasure was mine to translate. I think this article is the most accurate article on how Mao had been since last season, and full of infos concerning Sato's coaching methods. I'm grateful you found it for us! sunny

Plus, it wasn't much of a surprise to me about what Sato said about his ways of coaching...if you look back in my previous posts, you'd all notice that I had assumed he was like he said he is in this article. Like some of you, I'm not sure though if it's the best way to coach...him saying he doesn't set goals for neither Sochi nor Worlds for his pupils must be quite a rare attitude for a coach.

However, I can understand why Sato is like that too. He's seen his former pupil Yukari go too far aiming for Olys, which resulted in injuring herself into retiring quite early. I'm also sure he's aware of his former pupil Fumie who also got too caught up with making Olys once again, which is not only ruining the last years of her skating career right now but also causing damage to her personal life right now (check Fumie's thread in other skaters corner).

I think the bottom line is...Sato wants his pupils to have a long career in competing, plus he thinks that the most important thing in sport is to never forget the joy of being able to do something which you couldn't do at first. I too think this latter policy of his is the origin of any sport, and although I would love it more if Mao can raise her motivations for Sochi gold later on, after all she's been through both public and private last season, what she needed most was to be able to truely feel the happiness of skating once again. Since we can see from this article that she's got that feeling back, she'll be able to skate more without too much restraint to win. At least for JO and COC, that seems to be working for her in a good way. The judges liked her skating like that and she won at COC, which certainly must've added alot to her confidence and the joy of skating, which I believe will highten her motivations towards Sochi gradually. And even if she wins or loses in Sochi, as long as she can enjoy skating in competitons, I think she'll want to go on without retiring afterwards too. As long as she can find pleasure in hard practice, I assume she'll go on competing until she's fully satisfied that her reformings have completed and she can feel that she's delivered the most prefect perfomance of her life. I'd prefer it if she decides to retire then, not right after Sochi is over however the results may be for her. Yep!

She's surely not going to change coaches before Sochi is the impression I got from this article. So even if we're still unsure about whether Sato's methods are the best for Mao, I think we might as well support her decision to go on teaming with him. If Mao melts down or does terribly bad in any other way in Sochi, that's when we should start doubting Sato, not now IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!   - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!
Page 9 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next