Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mai interviewed Evan!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

Mai interviewed Evan! Empty
PostSubject: Mai interviewed Evan!   Mai interviewed Evan! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Mai interviewed Evan Lysacek for her latest column!

http://chubu.yomiuri.co.jp/tokushu/supotomo/supotomo090809_1.htm

Powerful in charity activities too
Figure skating prince Evan Lysacek

At the Morikoro Park Ice Arena in Aichi Prefecture's Nagakute-cho where the ice show "THE ICE" was held, I spoke with men's figure skating world champion, Evan Lysacek, who had come to Japan to appear in the show. Away from the rink, he is a outgoing young man. And, as he is also working as a fashion model, he is a very cool/good-looking guy. I talked to Evan, whom I have known from my junior days, about his thoughts about the Vancouver Olympics, which are approaching in February next year.

---Even in the off-season, you seem to be busy. If you have free time, what would you like to do?

Evan: To the extent that my time allows it, I'd like to put my heart into charity activities.

---The American skaters seems to be very conscious of charity activities.

Evan: It's wonderful to receive prizes or medals, but more than anything, I'd like to give back to society. I'm helping out at the Ronald McDonald house in Los Angeles where terminally ill children stay, and last year I participated in six types of charity activities.

---Do you like Japan?

Evan: Japan is a "super country." Japanese people are polite and kind. And the food is good. I always look forward to it. And the fans are very knowledgeable about skating, and I receive strength [from them].

---If you go to the Vancouver Olympics, it will be your second Olympics.

Evan: At Torino I was still a child. Like being in a candy store and saying I want this, I want that, but I was moved by image of the crying athletes who won medals. And I thought, next time that will be me. Winning Worlds has given me confidence, but rather than be content, I want to continue to work hard.

---Worlds was a victory where you overcame your leg injury.

Evan: Injuries always accompany sports. Those who overcome them can become champions. Life is like playing cards. No matter what bad card you get, you have to play it. If you give up, it's over. It's about adaptation.

---Are the Olympics your final goal?

Evan: That's right. The Olympics has something that transcends sports. It is very difficult to obtain the strength needed to participate, and everyone knows that, so we can respect each other.

---What do you think about Mao, who is also aiming for that same gold medal?

Evan: I love Mao. Whenever we meet, without thinking, I want to hug her. She's like a younger sister, and she's a friend. In skating, you can develop true friendship. You and Mao have a relationship of mutual support. I respect that.

[Box] Evan Lysacek
Born in Illinois, US in 1985. 1.88m tall. 2009 World Champion. 4th at 2006 Torino Olympics. Two-time winner of the US National Championships and the Four Continents Championship. Coached by Michelle Kwan's former coach, Frank Carroll. This season's free program music is "Scheherazade." He's knowledgable about Japan and loves sushi. His favorite ice show is "THE ICE."

I understood his beautiful heart
I met Evan well before last year's "THE ICE." "Mai, you were my first Japanese friend. The first time we met was in 2000, wasn't it?" He remembered the moment we met. Whenever we meet, he always asks "How are you?", "How have you been?" He showed us the world's best performance, but even after becoming World champion, his personality hasn't changed at all.

"How is it that you can always treat people like a gentleman?" I asked. "They are standing on the same stage because they worked really hard. I know that, so I can cheer for the other skaters," he answered. I understood his beautiful heart.

At the Olympics, I want the Japanese skaters to do their best, but I want to see Evan's best performance. He's one of my favorite skaters.

[Mai's bio data omitted.]

I tell you again, everyone loves Mao! Many Hearts I think it's cute that Evan likes 'THE ICE' best. haha!

I wonder if Mai interviewed Evan in English or had a translator! If she did it all herself, I'm impressed! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Mai interviewed Evan!   Mai interviewed Evan! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
---What do you think about Mao, who is also aiming for that same gold medal?

Evan: I love Mao. Whenever we meet, without thinking, I want to hug her. She's like a younger sister, and she's a friend. In skating, you can develop true friendship. You and Mao have a relationship of mutual support. I respect that.

Batsuchan...thank you so much for this. You always translate huge articles/interviews for those of us who just can't get a good grip on kanji!
It must take a lot of work but it is so much appreciated.

Evan...you and I share the very same urge to hug Mao just by the sight of her (in my case, by photo) Mushy Love
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Mai interviewed Evan!   Mai interviewed Evan! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks Batsuchan! Interesting interview. God, skaters must really practice their interview questions a lot. Their answers often sound almost perfect! I really hope the olympics are NOT Evans "final goal" Sad
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Mai interviewed Evan!   Mai interviewed Evan! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 am

Thank you so much, Batsuchan! Worship

This was a lovely article. I used to dislike Evan's skating, but he really improved his skating and matured as a person in the recent years. I cheer for him now! Thumbs up!

I remember that before Evan won Worlds, he had said that he saw Mao practicing and it inspired him to work much harder and train longer. It worked! Laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mai interviewed Evan!   Mai interviewed Evan! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mai interviewed Evan!
Page 1 of 1