Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!

Go down 
+11
Figure_skating_love
tilitom
Dani-Chan
MaoMaoRevolution
dangerous_angel_face
polosatik
alyssa
yuki
Mirai
roma
PochinkoPotanko
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Empty
PostSubject: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:59 am

I noticed the new thread in the Media corner 'Cute Mao pics from Tumblr Smile,' in which racyong25 gave us the link to Uncyclopedia Japan(http://ja.uncyclopedia.info/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B9%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC). In the very last part of the page, there were quotes of some funny things Mao had said in the past. They're all famous so most of you may know it, but I've decided to translate them:

1.When asked about what food she likes.
Reporter:What is your favorite food?
Mao:I like Yakiniku(barbequed beef)!
Reporter:*You eat alot?
Mao:Yes, I like the kind of Yakiniku which you eat!
*In Japanese, this question was 'Taberu hou desu-ka?', which can be understood naturally from the conversation as 'Do you eat alot of it?'. However in direct translation, 'Taberu hou desu-ka?' can also mean 'Do you mean the kind you eat?' and Mao took it as that. Well, there's no such Yakiniku which we don't eat. (Taberu=eat, hou=kind, desu-ka=are you/is it)

2.When asked about skating.
Reporter:Is there anything that scares you (when you skate)?
Mao:Ghosts are scary!

3.When asked about jumps.
Reporter:How do you manage to do those incredible jumps?
Mao:I just go, *'Yoisho!' and jump!
*'Yoisho' can be translated as 'Heave-ho!'. In nuance, 'Yoisho' is an outdated phrase used mostly by the elderly. You rarely hear it from young people...and mind you, Mao was still a little girl when she said this...

4.At a press-conference promoting her new commercial for a ham company.
Reporter:So, I guess we all know what you had for breakfast this morning?
Mao:Pancakes!
Reporter:...................(silence)
Mao:...and ham.

5.When she first met Taichi Kokubun of the idol group TOKIO.
Mao:(all excited) Have you ever met Nagase-kun!?
Kokubun:Met him...? We're um, in the same group you know...

6.When asked in an English press-conference how the skating environment was in the United States when she was training there.
Mao:*Ai laiku shoppingu-molu!
*Yep, she answered in English just like that!

7.During an interview in 2006 NHK Cup
Mao:*I will do as hard as I can, and do as hard as I can!
* In Japanese she actually said 'Ganbatte ganbari-masu!'(Ganbatte=try hard/do my best, ganbari-masu=I'll try hard/I'll do my best)

8.On spraining her ankle right before 2008 Worlds, being told by the doctor it'll take 2 weeks for it to heal, but returning to practice in just a week.
Mao:*My feet sure are sturdy!
*'Why did it get sprained in the first place then?'...was what the Japanese people were questioning themselves when they heard that...

9.In an interview done by Mai, about her bad conditions in 2009-10 GP series (note they were talking strictly about skating and competitions only before this.)
Mai:How was it in France (Trophee Eric Bompard)?
Mao:The croissants there tasted so fabulous!

10.Upon her 4th victory in Japan Nats, and thus achieving her ticket to Vancouver Olys.
Announcer:Next we'd like some comments from Ms Mao Asada...
Mao:Good evening folks! *My name is Mao Asada!
*Okay, she actually said 'I am Mao Asada'. But the way she said it sounded more like 'my name is...', which was pretty awkward because she said that standing right in the middle of the skating rink right after the competition was over, so I'm sure everyone in the audience knew who she was! The other thing was, the announcer had asked for Miki and Akiko's comments before asking Mao, and they were like 'Uh...um...well...I'm...um...feeling...um...alot of um...responsibility...and...um...', speaking in rather small voices, in kind of a shy causious tense way. But Mao's voice was much louder than them, plus she wasn't the least bit nervous, it was quite funny everyone burst out laughing the minute she opened her mouth including my husband and me who were watching it on tv. Plus, I'm quite certain that Mao probably had no idea what was so funny about it.

Maybe you all know this, but Mao is called a 'Ten-nen' here in Japan. 'Ten-nen' means 'a natural' in this case. The phrase was at first 'Ten-nen boke(pronounced:bohkei)', meaning 'a natural senile' but was shortend afterwards. Though it may sound bad, we usually use it for people whom we adore. People who are clumsy, awkward, misunderstands things often, says peculiar things often etc., making us laugh without aiming to be funny at all, are considered as 'Ten-nen'.

Btw, one of the most famous 'Ten-nen' characters in Japan is Shigeo Nagashima. He was a pro-baseball player in the Tokyo Giants team, became a baseball manager later on. In Japan he is literally 'Mr Baseball' himself, and was a great hero to all the kids and baseball fans during his days...and I guess he still is. However, though he was a genius in ball playing, he was also known for crazy episodes which made it clear he was a true 'Ten-nen'; most legendary of all time. His legends include comments like:

'Wow, this is a handy book! It's got all the French words in Japanese, too! I wish they had something like this with English.'(when he accompanied a friend who wanted to buy a French-Japanese dictionary to a book-shop when he was a college student)

'I can't find my sock! Everyone, help me find it before the game starts!'(and so his team-mates searched for the damn sock, only to find in the end that Nagasshima had worn 2 socks on the same foot)

'I can't find my car keys! Everyone, help me find it or else I can't go home!' (and so his team-mates searched for the damn keys, tearing the locker room apart, only to hear from Nagashima in the end) 'Oh wait! I took the train to get here today...'

'The kids here are so smart! They can all speak English! And everyone rides in foreign cars!' (when he went to the US for a team training camp)

He also took his son (who was in kindergarten at the time) to see a ballgame he was playing in, and forgot to take him home, leaving him in the audience all alone waiting for his dad to come pick him up, until everyone else was gone. Btw, it was only after the stadium staff found his son and phoned him at home that Nagashima realized this. Also btw, this happened twice! Unconscious

There are much more episodes about Nagashima...I have a feeling, Mao may become a legend like him in the 'Ten-nen' field some day, too. But she's loved in Japan for that as well as her skating. Plus, Nagashima has proved already that 'Ten-nen' characters sometimes make the best of athletes! Hell, no!

Last edited by PochinkoPotanko on Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:25 am

hahaha! Thanks a lot for the info, PochinkoPotanko! I sure had a great time laughing at all their antics! That's one of the things I love about Mao. Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
Mirai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Mirai

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:37 am

I love that how elegant and sophisticated she can be on the ice, and yet so adorably silly and cute in interviews and such! What a great combo!
Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Lol
Back to top Go down
yuki
Double Axel
Double Axel
yuki

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:45 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

There are much more episodes about Nagashima...I have a feeling, Mao may become a legend like him in the 'Ten-nen' field some day, too. But she's loved in Japan for that as well as her skating. Plus, Nagashima has proved already that 'Ten-nen' characters sometimes make the best of athletes! Hell, no!

You do have to be selfish Ten-nen when you have a gift.
You cannot afford to let too many outside things get in the way.
Sarah Brightman

lol!
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:55 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

I heard that after her bad performances in early 2009-2010 season Mao secretly told Tat her problem in the K&C. Yep, Sadly

Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Maodeadppl

Last edited by alyssa on Wed May 12, 2010 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:17 am

Now I understand what Taka-chan mean when he said that Mao doesn't listen to him at all ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:21 am

yuki wrote:
You do have to be selfish Ten-nen when you have a gift.
You cannot afford to let too many outside things get in the way.
Sarah Brightman

lol!

Exactly! If that's the price you have to pay to be like Mao, I'd choose to be Ten-nen right away! Very Happy

alyssa wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

But do keep in mind, I think she was still in juniors when she said that.
If she were asked the same question now, I think she would be answering maybe...sea-cucumber intestines? Laugh

edit:
polosatik wrote:
Now I understand what Taka-chan mean when he said that Mao doesn't listen to him at all ROTFLMAO

Yep...obviously she is listening to him...and that's why they rarely have a decent conversation... Depressed Crying

So she's psychic, too! How many gifts has god given her??? LMAO
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:36 am

[quote="PochinkoPotanko"]
yuki wrote:

Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! M0166 Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! M0166 Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! M0166 Mao is the best girl in the world, you know!
Back to top Go down
dangerous_angel_face
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
dangerous_angel_face

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:08 am

lol. This reminds me, in the book "Mao Asada 15 years old" it says Mao can't bathe alone and Mai and her mom tease her that it's because she's scared of ghosts. "That's when I was little! I'm not scared anymore." "Liar, you still leave the door open." "That's because I'm scared there might be a peeping Tom." . . . If you're scared there might be a peeping Tom wouldn't it make sense to CLOSE the door?

So maybe she really does see dead people. lol
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:12 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Ahaha this totally made my day!!! ROTFLMAO
May I use it for my avatar, PochiPota?
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Actually I made it. Razz
Sure you can use it, if you don't mind being my "twin" cause I was already working on it. Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:41 pm

alyssa wrote:
MaoMaoRevolution wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Actually I made it. Razz
Sure you can use it, if you don't mind being my "twin" cause I was already working on it. Hell, no!

Ahaha, you beat me to it--Well, you thought of it! xD
It's a great idea, alyssa! Many Hearts

I'll have to try and think of something witty for Mao to say...somehow I don't think it will turn out as well as yours Laugh

This reminds me of those things online or in magazines where they give you a picture with speech bubbles and you have to think of clever comments to write in~
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:53 pm

No Oh, I'm sorry.
You can use it. I made another one for me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:40 pm

alyssa wrote:
No Oh, I'm sorry.
You can use it. I made another one for me. Very Happy

Ahh, don't apologize Very Happy Thank you for letting me use it flower
It's so cute and funny, I love it--as well as your new one! Now I am thinking of a video game where you play as Mao and have to dodge ghosts on the ice while performing difficult elements Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Dani-Chan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Dani-Chan

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Mao is so precious!
I love her so much ♥
Back to top Go down
tilitom
Double Axel
Double Axel
tilitom

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 1:19 am

mao is just so endearing!!! and all this talk about ghosts reminds me ginban kaleidoscope!!! maybe the writer was inspired by mao! heeheeheee
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm happy to know everyone likes the funny side of her as well as her beautiful skating. Which just reminded me that hanatsuki once told me that Mao is special in a way, because however famous she becomes she is always herself. When you become popular, most people tend to act like the person they are expected to be, consciously or not. But Mao never tries to be who she isn't. I guess that's what makes a fine Ten-nen character. Laugh

And the other thing is, she's not too self-conscious about how others think of her. Even if she makes Ten-nen comments, realizes she totally misunderstood things afterwards, I think she's the type of person who would have a good laugh at herself and not be embarrassed. She must have her mental ups and downs concerning skating, but not much with other things. cat
Back to top Go down
Figure_skating_love
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Figure_skating_love

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Mirai wrote:
I love that how elegant and sophisticated she can be on the ice, and yet so adorably silly and cute in interviews and such! What a great combo!

Razz Agreed i love Mao's dynamic, switching frequently between a really intense skater and a Moe character! Very Happy

which remind me of one of PochinkoPotanko's videos where the interviewer ask "Mao do you like being called a Moe character?" and Mao answers back "Uh could you tell me what a "Moe" Character is?"
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Yasin, loved your avatar! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Figure_skating_love wrote:
Mirai wrote:

Razz Agreed i love Mao's dynamic, switching frequently between a really intense skater and a Moe character! Very Happy

which remind me of one of PochinkoPotanko's videos where the interviewer ask "Mao do you like being called a Moe character?" and Mao answers back "Uh could you tell me what a "Moe" Character is?"

Something tells me that trying to explain what Moe is to a person you just called Moe would be extremely awkward Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
Dani-Chan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Dani-Chan

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 6:17 pm

OMG Maochan is unique! Razz Razz
I love how funny she is and she is always confusing things ROTFLMAO
Mushy Love

I know this is off-topic, but anyone has the link of a video where Taka-chan throws a flower to mao? I saw it, I'm not crazy, I think Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
MikiAndoFan#1
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
MikiAndoFan#1

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Dani-Chan wrote:
I know this is off-topic, but anyone has the link of a video where Taka-chan throws a flower to mao? I saw it, I'm not crazy, I think Sweatdrop

I saw it, too! Let me see if I can find it on YouTube!

cat
Back to top Go down
Dani-Chan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Dani-Chan

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 7:00 pm

MikiAndoFan#1 wrote:
Dani-Chan wrote:

cat

OMG TKS TKS!
I've been searching for it Like a Star @ heaven flower
Back to top Go down
Dani-Chan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Dani-Chan

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Dani-Chan wrote:
MikiAndoFan#1 wrote:
Dani-Chan wrote:

cat

OMG TKS TKS!
I've been searching for it Like a Star @ heaven flower

ETA: OMG I FOUND IT! cheers
I was seeing some PochinkoPotanko videos on Youtube and I saw it there!
Tks for the help Love Hearts Love Hearts
here the vid: (about 3:16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIU91TLGgRE&NR=1

I'll make gifs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dani-Chan on Fri May 14, 2010 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikiAndoFan#1
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
MikiAndoFan#1

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Dani-Chan wrote:
ETA: OMG I FOUND IT! cheers
I was seeing some PochinkoPotanko videos on Youtube and I saw it there!
Tks for the help Love Hearts Love Hearts
here the vid: (about 3:19) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIU91TLGgRE&NR=1

I'll make gifs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much! And you're very welcome!

Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!   Funny quotes from our beloved Mao! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Funny quotes from our beloved Mao!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next