Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Earthquake in Tokyo

Go down 
+35
Okami
linglang
Alina
kaarolcia
polly10
ddmm
Alokya
KariDebate
illani
Jtsmith1
sapphiresky
tianrushui
klarification
Luckyone
jkblues
josling
chineseteacup
bellarina
Afsfan
MaoChan756
Ken Himura
polosatik
periperi
aoi88
☆Genie
bibi
Dani-Chan
Haidogirl
alyssa
tilitom
clovera
dawnsherearequiet
PochinkoPotanko
roma
europeanfan
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 am

I think, sooner or later we should all remove the nuclear plants and use energy from other sources like wind, solar and water! But every country should join it, its useless if only a few countrys think so!

In germany for example, the ppl always demonstrate because of the plants here, but what sense has it, when russia and france have alot of them? silent
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Nuclear power stations are the most effective way to get the energy, what are you talking about? Wind, water,solar? By using Nuclear power station you're getting much more energy then from any other stations. Yes, it is very dangerous, but talking about removing it now, is pointless. I don't know how much time it will take to find something new, but I'm sure it will not happen soon.

Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 pm

polosatik wrote:
Nuclear power stations are the most effective way to get the energy, what are you talking about? Wind, water,solar? By using Nuclear power station you're getting much more energy then from any other stations. Yes, it is very dangerous, but talking about removing it now, is pointless. I don't know how much time it will take to find something new, but I'm sure it will not happen soon.

I agree that nuclear is a very effective source of energy—and in many ways, a very attractive one. I used to think we should use them more in the US, because fossil fuels are causing so much damage to the environment, and alternatives are tricky in a lot of ways. But IMO the stakes are just too high. Chances are that somewhere in the world there will be some other problem in a nuclear plant in the next twenty or thirty years, and it won't necessarily be caused by an earthquake or tsunami next time, but by human error or some other factor. And with a nuclear plant, just one problem can do so much damage. I just hope we can wean ourselves from these power sources, and that energy production in the future will be more decentralized and environmentally friendly. I have hope in this regard, because even now they are coming up with new ways to make power besides the alternatives we already have.

Incidentally, if anyone thinks I'm sounding too preachy, I'm sorry. Sweatdrop I don't mean to tell the people of Japan or Russia or anyone else what to do. I'm just voicing my humble opinion in the wake of what has happened.
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm

There's a list of energy sources and their advantages/disadvantages on this page Arrow http://www.nucleartourist.com/basics/why.htm

All of them have its problems and some need special environmental conditions to work, like water, wind, and solar, but these are the cleanest. Some are very polluent, like coal, gas/oil. One that seems very interesting is fusion, based on tritium, but no one has managed to make it possible til today (only Dr. Octopus). Nuclear scares me to death. Yep, Sadly I agree with illani that the danger is too high, and once a disasters, or an error happen, the results are monsterous for the people and last for years. I read an interview with a former Japanese soldier who was affected by the bombs in 1945. He had leukemia 2x before coming to São Paulo, and said "radiation is the worst enemy. It has no color, no smell, no sound. Effects come after years."

I can't stop thinking of the workers at the Fukushima station. Poor people. May God protect them. Drama!

illani wrote:
Incidentally, if anyone thinks I'm sounding too preachy, I'm sorry. Sweatdrop I don't mean to tell the people of Japan or Russia or anyone else what to do. I'm just voicing my humble opinion in the wake of what has happened.

Don't worry illani, I'm sure everyone understands you're just concerned, and that's beautiful of you. Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:19 pm

illani wrote:
polosatik wrote:

I agree that nuclear is a very effective source of energy—and in many ways, a very attractive one. I used to think we should use them more in the US, because fossil fuels are causing so much damage to the environment, and alternatives are tricky in a lot of ways. But IMO the stakes are just too high. Chances are that somewhere in the world there will be some other problem in a nuclear plant in the next twenty or thirty years, and it won't necessarily be caused by an earthquake or tsunami next time, but by human error or some other factor. And with a nuclear plant, just one problem can do so much damage. I just hope we can wean ourselves from these power sources, and that energy production in the future will be more decentralized and environmentally friendly. I have hope in this regard, because even now they are coming up with new ways to make power besides the alternatives we already have.

No, you're not preachy at all! Sorry, if my post sounded like I criticized you! I didn't mean that! I agree with you about the damage, but to be honest I don't see any replacement of nuclear plant for now. No

I really hope humans will find energy as effective as nuclear plant, but not so dangerous . Like alyssa said, radiation is the worst enemy, because you can't see , hear and taste it.
Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm

polosatik wrote:
illani wrote:
polosatik wrote:

No, you're not preachy at all! Sorry, if my post sounded like I criticized you! I didn't mean that! I agree with you about the damage, but to be honest I don't see any replacement of nuclear plant for now. No

I really hope humans will find energy as effective as nuclear plant, but not so dangerous . Like alyssa said, radiation is the worst enemy, because you can't see , hear and taste it.

Thank you, polosatik. I wasn't only reacting to your post...I just realized we kind of took over this thread with talk about the energy thing. You're right, it is difficult to replace the power output of nuclear right now. It will take a huge change in infrastructure, and multiple sources, and of course there will be problems. I'm just hopeful that over time we will find other ways, that's all. Smile

alyssa, thank you for your kind words as well, and that was a very interesting link you posted. Fusion puts out a massive amount of energy (much more than fission), but they haven't yet figured out how to make it work at lower temperatures without putting in more energy than what they get out of it. It'll be awhile. The sun manages the reaction pretty well, but as Doc Ock proved, maybe doing it that way isn't so safe on Earth... Wink

alyssa wrote:

I can't stop thinking of the workers at the Fukushima station. Poor people. May God protect them. Drama!

Those people will be remembered as heroes for a long time. The sacrifices they are making for all of Japan are unbelievable. Sad
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 am

Quote :
I can't stop thinking of the workers at the Fukushima station. Poor people. May God protect them.

That are our faceless heros for eternity! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 am

Sorry I’m the one who have digress this thread. I’m freaked out by the recent development of the nuclear plant troubles and I couldn’t help but expressed my concern. I didn’t mean to make anyone uncomfortable. Sorry. Sweatdrop

Before I stop, please allow me to say a few things. Thanks illani for the information about power storage and battery. I hope Japanese companies will go ahead with R&D on batteries much faster than ever and succeed in commercializing them. It will help sustain the economy and thus the reconstruction of affected areas.

Thanks alyssa for the link. It’s very helpful.  

I understand your point polosatik. I agree it’s not possible to remove nuclear stations right away. But, I’m optimistic about new/alternative energy sources especially in Japan because of the lessons we learned from this disaster. Nuclear power is not suitable for an earthquake-prone country. It’s proven. Japan should work hard to make alternative energy sources practical, otherwise we may repeatedly cause troubles and worries to people not only in Japan but also in the world. It must be avoided. No
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:50 am

Please don't let the radiation thing worry you too much. I'm not sure how it's being reported overseas, but one nuclear station blowing up isn't enought to kill everyone in the country, I'm sure. Still I've learned that nuclear stations exploding causes much more radiation to spread than even the a-bombs, so we'll try to stay alert. Someone in FSU advised me that maybe we should start evacuating in Tokyo to avoid the radiation, but there's no need for that al least now, and even if we wanted to, all the gas stations are out of gas so our cars won't take us very far. Neutral

And please note that yesterday, over 1000 people in Fukushima who've evacuated from their homes had a thorough exam, and only 2 of them were found to have a very small amount of radiation on them. Plus the amount on the 2 poeple was so small, there was even no need for them to have it washed off. So, at least so far, it's not as bad as it might seem to you. I am worried for the people who work in the station and our boys in the 'army' and police who are trying to fix things there. They are trying to shower water on the other reactors which are heating up to avoid further explosions, but it's been reported that the radiation amount around the station is unbelievable high, so they are having trouble getting close. Let's just hope that the winds around the station will be blowing towards the sea as much as possible, and not towards the mainlands. Yep, Sadly

Btw concerning nuclear power...there was a large movement in the late 80s~90s in Japan that we should get rid of them and extremists kept saying we can live on wind power and stuff like that. Many intoduced Germany as a role model since they got rid of nuclear power (right?). But I've heard that some people in Germany have admitted that things have become inconvenient since they got rid of nuclear power too (right? If not correct me German members!). And after living in London for a while, I realized that the cities in my country use up far more energy than most other cities. You'd all be surprised to see how many large neon signs for advertisments there are even in the countryside. I wouldn't say it's impossible for us to abandon nuclear power for some other alternative, but if we are to do that, at the same time we'll have to sacrifice the quality of many things we've been taking for granted...like all middle to large class shopping facilities having automatic entrance doors (and I mean all of them!), the amount of streetlights provided so brightly that you hardly need to turn your car lights on in even in the evenings, having elevators in buildings which are only like 3 stories high, etc...I'm not saying all this isn't totally necessary. Our country being like this has abled people with disabilites to enjoy life more than before, and crime rates being lower than other countries are the results of such luxuries too. Once we've tasted all this, it's going to be quite hard to let go of them. The reason why the anti-nuclear power movements died down after the mid 90s was because, nobody was able to come up with an alternative power source which wouldn't force us into giving up some of the advantages we already had. Yep, Sadly
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:20 am

Pochi again your report really calms me down, since german news again keeps freaking me out! *still has panik attack* Panic!
My dad tried calming me down saying things like "if this thing wants to explode, then it would have done that already", but i still panik!
And news here say, that if its worse, then 500 km around that plant will be un-liveable area then, what means Tokyo too! *all her dreams shattered* Bawling
Now they said monday the wind will turn again!

And you are half right with that fact of germany! We are role model? Surprised
We do have plants, but not many anymore, cause ppl here wants to get rid of them, but gov'ment things different! I found out that my home in circled with 4 plants Neutral
But we built many many windwheels in the sea and have many solar stuff here too! But its still not enough to get rid of all the plants!
And like i said before, getting rid beacuse of the danger of them is really useless for us, since neighbor countries wont get rid of them!

About your report about Tokyo lights, i really think its a trademark of Japan and especially Tokyo to have all the neon lights and so on! It makes it so beautiful in my opinion! It really shouldnt change that! Just yesterday i saw this report about this saving engery in Tokyo and having the lights shut over night in many streets i thought it looked really sad to me! Its not Tokyo then! A dark Ginza street, then its not Ginza! sunny
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

Haidogirl wrote:
About your report about Tokyo lights, i really think its a trademark of Japan and especially Tokyo to have all the neon lights and so on! It makes it so beautiful in my opinion! It really shouldnt change that! Just yesterday i saw this report about this saving engery in Tokyo and having the lights shut over night in many streets i thought it looked really sad to me! Its not Tokyo then! A dark Ginza street, then its not Ginza! sunny

Thanks for saying that, Haidogirl! But I think many firms will start reducing the amount of advertisements for a while. Even in the areas where they haven't chosen for planned black-outs to save energy, many shops are turning their signboard and neon lights so that we can at least save some evergy for the people in the north who are in the most need of it.

I read a sad article yesterday that in one of the aquariaums in Miyagi, all the fish there will be dying because they will stop providing energy there. The staff has announced that although they are hearthbroken for their fish, they understand that human lives are at stake so it cannot be avoided. They seemed to have managed to send their sea mammals though to other aquariams in order to save them. Boy do I hate it when animals have to die. Depressed Crying

Btw, I have to inform you that there was a mistake in my last post. The people who were examined in Fukushima were free of nuclear particles, not radiation. I've found out that many people have the 2 mixed up. Even if people do not have nuclear particles on them, that doesn't mean they haven't been exposed to radiation. There are even rumors that the media has been ordered to confuse the viewers of the differences on puropose...I hope this isn't true, but the scientists commenting on tv certainly hadn't explained to us about such differences to my knowledge so far, and I guess that's why such rumors have started.

Also, I don't want anyone to panic but it seems the amount of radiation which the scientists have been mentioning on tv to be safe, are being based on the amount of radiation which is safe for humans to be exposed to 'per year'. This would mean that if they've observed 1msv of radiation in Tokyo for 10 days, and if I go outside for at once everyday, I'd be exposed to 10msv of radiation in the end. This is just an example so 10msv wouldn't harm me anyway plus they only observed much lower amounts of radiation in Tokyo so far, so I'm in no danger now. But should it go on like this for a long period of time, some areas might have people exposed to a higher amount than which is supposed to be safe to be exposed to in 1 year, even though the msv numbers are observed to be lower around them. Considering this, I do think that maybe the folks on tv are trying not to make it perfectly clear to us. They're not lying basically, but they are leaving out some additional facts and are explaning things rather vaguely according to some people who seem to know alot about these things on the net.

I'll have to keep all the windows closed and try not to leave the house I suppose...but that's all the precaution possible for me. I'd advise everyone in this forum living in the Kanto areas to do the same. Yep, Sadly
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 am

I'm glad to hear that radiation didn't effect people that much. And I hope it will stay like this. I still remember all these terrible things my father told me about Chernobyl, he was there a year ago after the disaster. All forest was burnt, trees were red and thousands of rats,only rats. pale The picture was very scary.

Pochi, you made a wise decision to stay at home, we will never know how high radiation really is!
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 pm

While I do think radiation exposure is a concern, I feel many people outside of Japan are overreacting to it. My relatives told me people in China are scrambling to buy salt after they heard the news in Japan. I think the panic is caused by lack of understanding rather than actual harm from radiation. I read an article that said that the psychological factors in a nuclear crisis has much greater effect than the actual physical effects.
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Quote :
I'm glad to hear that radiation didn't effect people that much. And I hope it will stay like this. I still remember all these terrible things my father told me about Chernobyl, he was there a year ago after the disaster. All forest was burnt, trees were red and thousands of rats,only rats. The picture was very scary.

Yeah my family also told me about that! They said, that even here (westgermany) they had to get rid of the milk from the cows, cause it was poised by the radiations and so is everything, like may not eat apples from the trees and so on! It must be very bad time! I hope, Japan dont have to experience that! Yep, Sadly

Quote :
Thanks for saying that, Haidogirl! But I think many firms will start reducing the amount of advertisements for a while. Even in the areas where they haven't chosen for planned black-outs to save energy, many shops are turning their signboard and neon lights so that we can at least save some evergy for the people in the north who are in the most need of it.

Yeah i know that! Its for their own good! I just meant, that it shouldnt be forever! It wouldnt be Tokyo, if there arent the lights! Swoon

Quote :
I read a sad article yesterday that in one of the aquariaums in Miyagi, all the fish there will be dying because they will stop providing energy there

Buuut why they didnt brought all fishes to the other aquarium? Bawling

Btw, i really never will understand about all this msv and stuff! And when is it dangerous and when not *faints*

Oh and Pochi can you please confirm something?
I heard in news here, that there is a team from South Korea bringing some stuff there to make the radiation not be in the air anymore! I cant remember the name, it was some chemical name i think Whirly But can you confirm that? They said they comes with a boat, i just wonder, if they arrived, because it sounded really helpful~~
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Haidogirl wrote:
I heard in news here, that there is a team from South Korea bringing some stuff there to make the radiation not be in the air anymore! I cant remember the name, it was some chemical name i think Whirly But can you confirm that? They said they comes with a boat, i just wonder, if they arrived, because it sounded really helpful~~

Sorry Haidogirl, I searched for info to confirm that in all Japanese articles on the net but couldn't find any. But it seems Korea has sent us some troops and 50 of them are working together with our boys to calm things down at the Fukushima station...but um, I only found 1 article mentioning this, and it was a Searchina article ( http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110317-00000085-scn-kr ) so I'm not sure if all of what it says can be trusted... Yep, Sadly

Anyway, there's no way they can be in the station at this point cause the radiation there is so high, it's been extremely difficult to get close to it even with helicopters. Actually, if anyone is in the station right now, they are certainly going to die for sure, unless they're wearing some super radiation free suit which can avoid radiation however high it is, which I'm not sure exists. Plus, I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I don't think that many Koreans would be willing to go into that station just to save Japan...We are still the no.1 hated country in Korea, you know?
Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm

aoi88 wrote:

While I do think radiation exposure is a concern, I feel many people outside of Japan are overreacting to it. My relatives told me people in China are scrambling to buy salt after they heard the news in Japan. I think the panic is caused by lack of understanding rather than actual harm from radiation. I read an article that said that the psychological factors in a nuclear crisis has much greater effect than the actual physical effects.

I heard that people in US have been buying out all the supplies of Potassium Iodide out of fear. This really sucks, because now the government can't gather up these supplies to send to Japan! I seriously doubt the radiation would ever reach even Alaska or Hawaii in any significant quantities; we're not the ones we should be concerned about.

I still think nuclear is too dangerous to meddle with in the long run. So are fossil fuels, though. But alternative energy gets more advanced every day, and things like lighting and motors can be made more efficient in the future. Japan is well situated to make use of several alternative sources. It may not take care of all energy demands, but it could certainly help. I know implementing these changes is easier said than done, and it might be a pipe dream...but I can hope. Neutral

Pochi, thank you for your input (as always), and I hope you continue to stay safe. The news reports are confusing, but I think the people in Tokyo are still quite safe, and I hope it stays that way. Take care.
Back to top Go down
beppu

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 1:05 am

Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 am

It seems they're going to try to start use some cooling system for reactors 1 and 2 in the Fukushima station. If they succeed, these 2 reactors will probabaly become much safer than now. Water has already been showered to the reactors, but the temperatures are still high. But it seems that the 3rd reactor which was the most dangerous one since it uses plutonium unlike the other ones have been stabilized because of the showerings...for now.

I've learned today that the amount of radiation and nuclear particles which may spread due to a nuclear station accident, may be much worser than that of the a-bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Many people in Japan tend to think that since the radiation from those bombs hardly affected those outside of the 2 cities, the Fukushima station would not be spreading radiation that much far either, and that's what I thought too.

But the a-bombs were constructed to use nuclear power to cause a wide explosion, and basically not intended to spread radiation. The nuclear bits which were inside the bombs were very small compared to those in nuclear stations. Since the US wanted to examine Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bombings to see how thier new weapons had worked, they didn't want the cities to be infected by radiation, so that they can send scientists and army men to the cities asap. It was unfortunate that the cities were exposed to high radiation as an unexpected result, and the Americans who had entered the cities soon after Japan surrendered were also exposed to radiation which must have damaged their health later on.

Nuclear stations on the other hand were not designed to cause explosions of course, but to maintain as much energy as possible from nuclear particles. Therefore, should they melt down or explode, the amount of both radiation and nuclear particles are assumed to spread out much further, according to the amount of wind and the directions they will blow to.

Our medias have not been explaining these facts clearly to us so far. My father did not know this at all and kept saying Tokyo is perfectly safe because the a-bombs didn't harm any prefectures which the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki wasn't located in. Reporting the amount of how much msv of radiation has been observed in prefectures close to Fukushima is of course important and is being done, but I think there are alot of basic things we should be told of concerning nuclear power station accidents. Fortunately, we do have the internet so those who are aware that there may be more important facts than what's only being said on tv can get info. But those who rely and trust tv and newspapers only will never know.

I am getting sick of our tv stations. Some have already started broadcasting variety shows! It's only been about a week from the major quake, people are still suffering in the north. How can they be so insensitive? It seems that some channels are already getting protests against what they've been broadcasting from some of the damaged areas. Well, I'm not against broadcasting all programs which are for fun, but I think they should be limited to kid's shows so terrified children may be able to calm down or something. But nothing pleasurable for the adults. Not at this point. My house and family were perfectly safe, but we don't even want to see such shows either now. I've also heard that some channels have been constantly broadcasting messages of condolences from celebrities and that seems to irritate people in the damaged areas too. They simply want more info of what's going on and what the government is planning to do. I've always felt so, but our tv stations really suck! Yep, Sadly
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 10:50 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Haidogirl wrote:

Sorry Haidogirl, I searched for info to confirm that in all Japanese articles on the net but couldn't find any. But it seems Korea has sent us some troops and 50 of them are working together with our boys to calm things down at the Fukushima station...but um, I only found 1 article mentioning this, and it was a Searchina article ( http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110317-00000085-scn-kr ) so I'm not sure if all of what it says can be trusted... Yep, Sadly

Anyway, there's no way they can be in the station at this point cause the radiation there is so high, it's been extremely difficult to get close to it even with helicopters. Actually, if anyone is in the station right now, they are certainly going to die for sure, unless they're wearing some super radiation free suit which can avoid radiation however high it is, which I'm not sure exists. Plus, I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I don't think that many Koreans would be willing to go into that station just to save Japan...We are still the no.1 hated country in Korea, you know?

Oh dont worry ne! Maybe they not arrived yet or it was just a rumour here!
I was kinda happy to hear that South Korea is helping, cause we all know about the relationship you have with them Laughing But i think in those eager situations, they just dont think on those bad things!

Today i heard, that they found some radiation in the water in Tokyo, is that true?
They said its not much and not dangerous, but we all know, what that means, ne! I mean then this melting down was happen already some days ago when its already in Tokyo, what is kinda far away from Fukshima! pale

Quote :
It seems they're going to try to start use some cooling system for reactors 1 and 2 in the Fukushima station. If they succeed, these 2 reactors will probabaly become much safer than now. Water has already been showered to the reactors, but the temperatures are still high. But it seems that the 3rd reactor which was the most dangerous one since it uses plutonium unlike the other ones have been stabilized because of the showerings...for now.

Thats a good news i think ne! They said they want to get the electrity line use for the 3rd one first, cause that’s the most dangerous one! I hope they can make this!

Quote :
I've learned today that the amount of radiation and nuclear particles which may spread due to a nuclear station accident, may be much worser than that of the a-bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Many people in Japan tend to think that since the radiation from those bombs hardly affected those outside of the 2 cities, the Fukushima station would not be spreading radiation that much far either, and that's what I thought too.

*faints* How said that? Your teacher? But here they say that too, it’s a radius of 500 km they said! So its including Tokyo! And it will last longer than the bomb, it will take a few 100 years!

There is usual tv schedule already? That’s indeed a little early if you ask me! But maybe they do that to make the ppl calm down and think of something different then!
But from the music bands I like, I know their schedule is completely postponed til somewhen in april! I think that’s ok though!

Oh and btw, want you hear something ridiculous? At eurosport germany still is commercial for next weeks Worlds lol!
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:19 am

Haidogirl wrote:
Today i heard, that they found some radiation in the water in Tokyo, is that true?
They said its not much and not dangerous, but we all know, what that means, ne! I mean then this melting down was happen already some days ago when its already in Tokyo, what is kinda far away from Fukshima! pale

Oh no, radiation was found in the waters in Fukushima, not Tokyo. And it was found on the 17th. 308becquerels per kilograms of radiated iodine was found in the drinking water in a city called Kawamatachou 40km from the power station in the Fukushima prefecture. This is over the average amount of iodine which is allowed to be in drinkable water in Japan. However it was also reported that by the 18th the amount had reduced to 123becquerels per kilograms, which is below the amount allowed in drinkable water, btw which is 300becquerels per kilograms for iodine, and 200becquerels per kilograms for cesium. The government seems to have alerted residents to avoid drinking water from the sink just in case, but has announced there is no danger in the same water for daily uses; laundry, bathing etc., I suppose.

So the water in Tokyo is fine! I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but tap water in Tokyo is probabaly of one of the most highest quality in major cities around the world. Therefore, many people drink tap water normally rather than buying mineral water to drink or to use for cooking. I'd be shocked if they found radiation in tap water here in Tokyo. Anyway fortunately this time it wasn't found in Tokyo. Smile

ETA:Sorry guys, there was a certain amount of radiated iodine and cesium found not only in the water in Fukushima I mentioned above, but in all 6 prefectures including Tokyo. The other prefectures are Tochiki, Gunma, Saitama, Chiba and Niigata. In Tokyo they found 1.5becquerels per kilograms of radiated iodine. Gunma and Tochigi were the only prefectures where cesium was found. But all the amounts of radiated particles found in all these prefectures, are way lower than the amounts they are allowed to be in drinking water so it's supposed to be safe anyway. Still these prefectures have been told to avoid dinking tap water as long as there's something else to drink, just to be on the safe side. But I'd say this is not the proper way to alert us. They should've added that we should try not to use tap water for cooking as well, cause obviously the result will be the same. Bathing an showering seems okay, cause it'll all be washed off I guess. I'd better tell this to my parents and make them stop drinking tea made from tap water all the time! And that goes for my husband drinking coffee all the time too. I guess I'll have to share my favorite brand of mineral water with them for a while. I really would hate to have to share my water with my father who's been criticizing me for buying them all along. Bawling
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 5:59 pm

And then you have to have luck when there is minerall water in the stores left for everyone!
Man, i dont want this! I want it back to normal! My precious Japan! Bawling Bawling Bawling
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:33 am

Hey, guys...I'm hoping you could give me some info on how Japan's crisis is being reported in each of your countries. Especially concerning the Fukushima nuclear power station's situations and about the dangers of radiation outside of the Fukushima area...like whether or not Tokyo is reported to be in extreme danger of high radiation or not, sort of thing.

The reason why I'm asking you this, is because there seems to be a group of people who think the whole world is mistaking that the hardly undamaged areas in the Kanto area, esp Tokyo is in great danger of being exposed to crucial amounts of radiation now or soon. And these certain people are trying to convince others that we should have Worlds in Tokyo preferably during Spring, if not October, so that we'd have a chance to let the World know that our country is totally safe and that our products are free of radiation.

Of course I can never agree with them, and all the real FS fans are getting sick of these people who think we should use Worlds to appeal our country's safety so that we might be able do avoid some economic damage. But they keep on posting on and on in some of the most popular FS related BB sites here, and I began wondering if other countries are really misunderstanding the danger levels in Tokyo concerning radiation as much as they claim.

Has Fukushima been reported to have become another Chernoble already? Are all the products in Japan being warned to be exposed to radiation? Does everybody think the whole south-east of Japan will soon be exposed to radiation so badly that people here are all going to die eventually? What kind of image do you all have about Tokyo right now? Question

If you have the time and care to reply, I'd greatly appreciate it. Btw, everything I've written in the above paragraph isn't what's actually happening here or will happen here, I can pretty much assure you. Yep!
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Hey, guys...I'm hoping you could give me some info on how Japan's crisis is being reported in each of your countries. Especially concerning the Fukushima nuclear power station's situations and about the dangers of radiation outside of the Fukushima area...like whether or not Tokyo is reported to be in extreme danger of high radiation or not, sort of thing.

The reason why I'm asking you this, is because there seems to be a group of people who think the whole world is mistaking that the hardly undamaged areas in the Kanto area, esp Tokyo is in great danger of being exposed to crucial amounts of radiation now or soon. And these certain people are trying to convince others that we should have Worlds in Tokyo preferably during Spring, if not October, so that we'd have a chance to let the World know that our country is totally safe and that our products are free of radiation.

Of course I can never agree with them, and all the real FS fans are getting sick of these people who think we should use Worlds to appeal our country's safety so that we might be able do avoid some economic damage. But they keep on posting on and on in some of the most popular FS related BB sites here, and I began wondering if other countries are really misunderstanding the danger levels in Tokyo concerning radiation as much as they claim.

Has Fukushima been reported to have become another Chernoble already? Are all the products in Japan being warned to be exposed to radiation? Does everybody think the whole south-east of Japan will soon be exposed to radiation so badly that people here are all going to die eventually? What kind of image do you all have about Tokyo right now? Question

If you have the time and care to reply, I'd greatly appreciate it. Btw, everything I've written in the above paragraph isn't what's actually happening here or will happen here, I can pretty much assure you. Yep!

Well, in Russia Fukushima was never treated like the second Chernobyl, quite the contrary, it was reported many times,what's the difference and why it could never be the second Chernobyl. So I guess, from our side we're not over reacting, but I heard from somewhere that Japan hides the whole truth or something like that, but that wasn't from the main channels, for sure.
Back to top Go down
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
jkblues

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 am

hi pochinkopotanko

Here in Spain, they always say Chernobyl is not Fukushima, that is a very different case from the beginning and they said in this way is not to be exagerating.

About Tokio, they said that there is a little, very little amount of radiation but is safe and the onlñy people who is leaving Tokio is the families with children and foreign people most of all from europe because France, Germany and other countries has recomended them to leave Japan, because Fukushima is not under control and is geting worse.

Anyway, here is Spain they think that, for example Germany is exagerating so much, they used words as apocalipsis and criticise german goverment.

i think the most alarmaded places right now around the worl is Europe in general and some people say thay are afraid that japanese goverment is not telling all the truth.

i think if worlds at the end are in Tokio during spring i think some countries for example Germany will not send skaters.
Back to top Go down
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:18 am

Hi pochi!

Germany is OVERREACTING!
The main channels are going on in apocalyptic programs -
The news keeps on informing radiation spread!
Headlines like "crisis" "doom" are going along -

I heard some news about a French politician claiming that the nuclear crisis is supposedly out of control - and that Japan should report more about it...
Blah - Many of these news issues are just few people acting crazy...
But its affecting people -
as from your messages - I understood that not all areas are affected -
But the general trend (even in humble messages for charity funds) is that they believe - the whole country is under water or crushed with debris due to the earthquake!
They have many facts wrong - and the fact that we get less news - or confirmation from Japan (and that not many among us understand the langauge) increases the fear -
For a few days - rumors about death of famous Japanese icons (idols/mangakas) spread like fire on the net! :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Earthquake in Tokyo
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next