Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Earthquake in Tokyo

Go down 
+35
Okami
linglang
Alina
kaarolcia
polly10
ddmm
Alokya
KariDebate
illani
Jtsmith1
sapphiresky
tianrushui
klarification
Luckyone
jkblues
josling
chineseteacup
bellarina
Afsfan
MaoChan756
Ken Himura
polosatik
periperi
aoi88
☆Genie
bibi
Dani-Chan
Haidogirl
alyssa
tilitom
clovera
dawnsherearequiet
PochinkoPotanko
roma
europeanfan
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Alina

Alina

Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 am

My thoughts are for all Japan, be strong!
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:50 am

I'm surprised to know that figure skating championship in Aichi Prefecture was held today and FP will be held tomorrow. I hope they put a collection box for donation or did something to show concern to the sufferers at least ... This news just left me speechless.

I think Worlds should be postponed. I'm sorry for all the participating athletes who have been working hard to peak at the competition because if it is postponed, it will affect their conditions. But, it should be postponed.

I'm not saying this because I care who wins or who loses, but because it's too soon. So many people in the north east coast of Japan have lost everything, I mean everything, family members, homes, farm lands, fishing boats ... There are reports that an entire village is submerged and several hundred bodies are found on the shore.

I know sport event have an effect of motivating and lifting up people's spirits. But, Tokyo Worlds is too soon. As a survivor of the great Hanshin Awaji earthquake, I can imagine how they feel. Even now, watching the devastation in a safe and undamaged place is really painful.

ETA: Why I was upset about the Aichi figure skating championship is that sport competition is a celebration to me. It's a way of celebrating human beings great athletic ability. So, holding a celebration while knowing there is a great tragedy in your own country is insane to me.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:58 am

ITA with you linglang. Currently fs championships isn't the most improtant thing for people in Japan, I can't imagine them enojoying such event when so many compatriots died only few days earlier Sad

Back to top Go down
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel
Luckyone

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Sad the nuclear plant is getting worse Sad I can't express what I feel now its sooooooo deppressing Sad Depressed Crying
Back to top Go down
Ken Himura
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Ken Himura

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Yes, is getting worse Sad Let's pray for Japan!!!!
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 5:52 pm

I read Gregory Hartl from the WHO, said the risk for the population's health is low. I hope he's right. But what does the Japanese government say?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel
Luckyone

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:01 pm

I heard the risk is high, but im not sure, I wish I could know more japanese Sad
Back to top Go down
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 am

Last news I read - was that radiation level is going down!
I heard nothing about the nuclear plant yet -

I feel so useless sitting infront of news -_
feels so down :s
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:03 am

Info on the nuclear power station accident...

First of all, the Fukushima power station incident has been officially rated as a level 4 nuclear accident. This is on a scale of 1-7, as the numbers go higher the more it's acknowledged to be dangerous. Chernobyl was rated 7, so you can see it's much smaller an accident than that. However, level 4 is the highest we've ever had in Japan. In 97 a different station located in the Tochigi prefecture had a similar accident. It didn't explode, but there was a radiation leak. All the people living nearby evacuated so basically they were okay, but some people working in the station was exposed to high levels of radiation and died. This accident too was a level 4. Note that this Tochigi station is much closer to Tokyo than the one in Fukushima, but there were no radiation influences in Tokyo from it's accident.

So, the Fukushima station explosion should not affect Tokyo in any way.

It has been reported that at least 33 people have been exposed to radiation from the Fukushima station so far and the numbers may increase. It has also been reported that the number 3 reactor is in danger of exploding just like the one which did, and that was reactor number 1. They are pouring sea water into the number 1 reactor to decrease the temperature, and I assume they'll try the same with reactor number 3.

I just heard on the news that we will be having a black-out for some hours (maybe 3~6 hours or so) tomorrow in Tokyo, and probabaly some other Kanto areas. They haven't told us around what time they'll be having the black-out yet. It seems we're seriously in need of saving energy. No electricity, no PC...the worst is yet to come for me I suppose... Depressed Crying
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
I just heard on the news that we will be having a black-out for some hours (maybe 3~6 hours or so) tomorrow in Tokyo, and probabaly some other Kanto areas. They haven't told us around what time they'll be having the black-out yet. It seems we're seriously in need of saving energy. No electricity, no PC...the worst is yet to come for me I suppose... Depressed Crying

It's gonna pass, Pochi.
Take these hours to rest, maybe have some Zzzz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:38 am

alyssa wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

It's gonna pass, Pochi.
Take these hours to rest, maybe have some Zzzz

I'll do that! Thanks alyssa!
Back to top Go down
dawnsherearequiet

dawnsherearequiet

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 am

Last edited by dawnsherearequiet on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 am

dawnsherearequiet wrote:
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51653000/jpg/_51653495_011515553-1.jpg

Looking at this picture, as well as many others, breaks my heart.
I hope the nuclear plant situation will be taken under control and there will be no more victims following this terrible tragedy.
Hold on, Japan!
This is so heartbreaking... Sad Sad Sad I want to hug them all, hold on guys! We're with you.

Pochi, it will end soon. Like alyssa said, have a good rest and relax a little bit.
*hugs*
Back to top Go down
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
PochinkoPotanko

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 am

polosatik wrote:
dawnsherearequiet wrote:

I hope the nuclear plant situation will be taken under control and there will be no more victims following this terrible tragedy.
Hold on, Japan!
This is so heartbreaking... Sad Sad Sad I want to hug them all, hold on guys! We're with you.

Pochi, it will end soon. Like alyssa said, have a good rest and relax a little bit.
*hugs*

Thanks polosatik, but don't worry cause I am pretty relaxed...this weekend hasn't been exactly normal to those of us living in the undamaged areas too, but all everybody's been doing is watching tv reports endlessly. Alot of people will be heading towards the north to help out the people there soon, but we have to wait until the trains start running again. We can't do anything for the earthquake victims right now. But at the same time, I don't think anybody feels up to going out for fun. So I think most households in Japan have their families gathered watching tv. At least that's what my family is doing, and it's getting a bit depressing and boring watching the same footages of the damaged areas over and over so that's why I'm posting info once in a while. It makes me feel like I'm making myself a bit useful under these circumstances... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:40 am

Quote :

I would love to believe this, but german news really freaks me out Panic!

Quote :
I just heard on the news that we will be having a black-out for some hours (maybe 3~6 hours or so) tomorrow in Tokyo, and probabaly some other Kanto areas. They haven't told us around what time they'll be having the black-out yet. It seems we're seriously in need of saving energy. No electricity, no PC...the worst is yet to come for me I suppose...

I heard about this, and i think sleeping is the best opportunity you can do then ne! *hugs you*
And right now, i think in the TBS livestream they explain when and where will be the blackout!
Back to top Go down
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel
Luckyone

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
polosatik wrote:
dawnsherearequiet wrote:

Hold on, Japan!

*hugs*

Thanks polosatik, but don't worry cause I am pretty relaxed...this weekend hasn't been exactly normal to those of us living in the undamaged areas too, but all everybody's been doing is watching tv reports endlessly. Alot of people will be heading towards the north to help out the people there soon, but we have to wait until the trains start running again. We can't do anything for the earthquake victims right now. But at the same time, I don't think anybody feels up to going out for fun. So I think most households in Japan have their families gathered watching tv. At least that's what my family is doing, and it's getting a bit depressing and boring watching the same footages of the damaged areas over and over so that's why I'm posting info once in a while. It makes me feel like I'm making myself a bit useful under these circumstances... Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the info pochi Smile
I already made contact with all my friends in tokyo Smile but the rest of Japan worries me Sad please take care

And I would like to ask anyone who knows how to donate from Mexico to the red cross or other organization, bc I really want to help, its desesperating to just watch and that I can't do anything Sad
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:17 pm

If you know any non-Japanese speakers who are affected by the earthquake in Japan and need some help, please let them know the following information.

twitter: volunteer translators will help you translate what you post with #honyaquake

Currently it is from Japanese to English.

facebook: Free Japanese>English Translations for Tohoku Earthquake/Tsunami Relief
https://www.facebook.com/#%21/home.php?sk=group_160310604024009

others: https://sites.google.com/site/minnadewiki/home/foreigner
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Watching NHK World now and it seems there's a hydrogen explosion in Fukushima's reactor #3 a while ago but says it did not damage the reactor. Inital report says minimal radioactive material released in the air.

I hope it'll be the last one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 am

Any news?

I am getting some weird vibes on German news here! Sad
Some tweets report that radiation is travelling othr asian countries -_

BBC just reported a 2nd blast at the nuclear plant - nothng else!
All this is scaring me! Sad
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 am

MaoChan756 wrote:
Any news?

I am getting some weird vibes on German news here! Sad
Some tweets report that radiation is travelling othr asian countries -_

BBC just reported a 2nd blast at the nuclear plant - nothng else!
All this is scaring me! Sad

The best advise that i can give you is:

Shut the german news channel off!

They keep making it more worse than it really is, it seems!
Always when i watch it im like Panic! Panic! Panic! Faint2

Quote :
In 97 a different station located in the Tochigi prefecture had a similar accident. It didn't explode, but there was a radiation leak. All the people living nearby evacuated so basically they were okay, but some people working in the station was exposed to high levels of radiation and died. This accident too was a level 4. Note that this Tochigi station is much closer to Tokyo than the one in Fukushima, but there were no radiation influences in Tokyo from it's accident.

OMG is that true?
So maybe this one will end up good too ne!
But now they start telling that the wind will turn to Tokyo direction Snow
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 am

To somehow lighten things up, here's something I found on the net that i am sure would touch your hearts:

Quote :

original source: http://prayforjapan.jp/tweet_en.html

Quote :

"It’s so dark, the stars have never been so beautiful. Sendai, look up.” (in reference to the Sukiyaki song)

”Disneyland was giving out snacks from the shops. Some high school girls were taking a whole bunch, and I thought ‘wtf’, but then I saw them giving them out to kids at the shelters. Parents can’t move around right now, so I’m both thankful and worried.”

“One person quietly picked up scattered goods at a supermarket, lined up and paid for her groceries. Another old lady gave up her seat to a pregnant woman. A foreigner who watched this was speechless. Wow, Japan.”

UN comment: “Japan has been a large donor to the world. The UN will do all it can to help Japan.”

”It’s nothing new for a green light to only get one car through, but I was moved to see people giving way to each other. Traffic was paralyzed at one complicated intersection for 5 minutes, but the only honks I heard were ones signaling ‘thanks’. Amidst these scary but warming times, I’ve come to like Japan even more.”

“Last midnight, on the way home from college, the old lady at the bakery was still giving out bread for free — well past closing time. People are doing all they can even in amidst the chaos. Tokyo’s not so bad after all.”

“I got a text message from my Korean friend. ‘The world’s only atom bomb victim. The loser of the world war. Hit by typhoons every year. Earthquakes all the time. Tsunamis too. Yet Japan always stands back up. God speed Japan, god speed.’ I’m still crying.”

“I was tired waiting at the station, when some homeless people gave me a cardboard box to sit on to keep warm. This after we pretend they don’t even exist. It’s warm.”

“Suntory vending machines are free, Softbank WiFi spots are public. Everyone’s cooperating, and the other nations are helping too. Compared to back during the Hanshin earthquake when people refused foreign aid and obstructed the Self Defense Force deployment, Japan’s definitely become a stronger country.”

“I talked to the night shift metro driver. ‘Tough work, huh?’ He smiled and said, ‘well it’s tough times!’ He’s cool.”

“I walked 4 hours from the city center. The sidewalks were jammed with people, but it was orderly and silent. The shops were open, everyone working. The Internet infrastructure survived the shaking,

and people set up facilities to accommodate the stranded. The trains are running all night. Japan’s amazing. Who cares what place we are in GDP.”

“People of Japan, please don’t lose kindness. Protect the weak, help each other, and have forgiveness. When you’re worried, so too will those around you be. This is our wish. We here will do just the same.” — signed, Ultraman and staff

“My 2 year old son put on his shoes and just about wandered outside. ‘I’m going to arrest the earthquake!’, he says. Encouraging to see such courage and righteousness in such a small body. Be strong, everyone.”

“On my 4 hour walk home, there was a woman with a sketchbook note written ‘please feel free to use the washroom!’ — she was opening her washroom to the public. Japan must be the warmest country on earth. I was in tears.”

“When there’s a power outage, someone fixes it. When the water stops, someone fixes it. When there’s a problem at the nuclear plants, someone goes to fix it. These things don’t just fix themselves. While we’re sitting in our rooms going ‘hurry up dammit’, there are people out there in the freezing cold putting their lives on the line to set shit straight for us.”

Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks to all who provided information on the situation in Japan! Thank you!

Klarification, thank you for the heartwarming article. Smile

PochinkoPotako, thanks for the first-hand reports from Japan. Stay safe! Many Hearts

My prayers are with Japan. Yep!

To all those concerned about the nuclear plant, I found an interesting article about what happens when a nuclear reactor shuts off:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/12/world/asia/the-explosion-at-the-japanese-reactor.html

Hopefully the situation at the power plant can be safely contained. Worship
Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks to everyone for the updates. And klarification, thank you for sharing those wonderful anecdotes. I had tears in my eyes reading them. I've been so impressed with the way the Japanese people have handled this situation. How we treat each other is what's important in the end, and this terrible crisis seems to have brought out the best in people.
Back to top Go down
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
jkblues

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Daruma_one_eye%5B2%5D

I guess we wish the same for Japan, so it has one eye.
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 pm

klarification, thanks so much for sharing that. Just like illani, I had tears in my eyes reading them. The Japanese people are really admirable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake in Tokyo   Earthquake in Tokyo - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Earthquake in Tokyo
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next