Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Russian interview

Go down 
+8
MaoMaoRevolution
sapphiresky
bibi
Liffey
ddmm
chineseteacup
polosatik
kiki
12 posters
AuthorMessage
kiki

kiki

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:09 am

http://www.velena.ru/skating/ORS_2009.html
Does this interviewer really say
"I have an impression that Mao Asada's mother interfering in the working process of her daughter is not always beneficial."
in this interview?
I read this English translation at
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2508329
Is Mao's mom famous for interfering Mao’s skating among
skating community?
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:34 am

Yes she said that, also in 2007 when Tat wasn't Mao's coach, she said the same thing. I heard this from tons of people who are close to Mao team Disappointed
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for the links, kiki!

I haven't heard much about Mao's mom in relation to Mao's training. I think there was something in one of her books about how her mother plays a significant role in motivating her during tough times. Apart from that, I'm not sure. Very Happy

I wonder if Mao will be taking part in the torch relay. It's quite cool that Yu-Na gets to run with the torch in Canada. It would be even cooler if Mao could run with the torch too Razz
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:41 am

Do they say how her mom is interfering ? it surprises me . It's not the image I have of Mao's mom. Also, we never get to see her on camera.
Back to top Go down
kiki

kiki

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:53 am

Thank you very much polosatik!
So her mom's interference is kind of infamous
among the skating community then.
I'm just surprised since I've never imagined her mother is like that Disappointed
Maybe it worked when she was younger...
Maybe still does...
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 9:12 am

Aw, I'll try to find that video with Tat's commentary and then let you know. From what I've heard all Mao's decisions are controled by her mom.
Back to top Go down
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Liffey

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 9:54 am

chineseteacup wrote:

I haven't heard much about Mao's mom in relation to Mao's training. I think there was something in one of her books about how her mother plays a significant role in motivating her during tough times. Apart from that, I'm not sure. Very Happy

I wonder if Mao will be taking part in the torch relay. It's quite cool that Yu-Na gets to run with the torch in Canada. It would be even cooler if Mao could run with the torch too Razz

I'm wondering about this, too. I'm not sure, but I think they chose Yuna because she is an Olympic medal contender who trains in Canada and has a connection with Canadian athletes (Brian Orser). I could totally be wrong about this, but I'm not sure people will be flown in to carry the torch. Sweatdrop I really think it's Yuna's Canada connection that provided her with the opportunity to carry it. Anyone know for sure?
Back to top Go down
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 am

Liffey wrote:
chineseteacup wrote:

I'm wondering about this, too. I'm not sure, but I think they chose Yuna because she is an Olympic medal contender who trains in Canada and has a connection with Canadian athletes (Brian Orser). I could totally be wrong about this, but I'm not sure people will be flown in to carry the torch. Sweatdrop I really think it's Yuna's Canada connection that provided her with the opportunity to carry it. Anyone know for sure?

I don't know, but I was surprised that a foreigner (not a Canadian citizen) could carry the Olympic flame in Canada Razz However, it's so exciting to think that famous people like her will carry the flame while I was carrying it myself just a few days ago Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
sapphiresky

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 pm

kiki wrote:
http://www.velena.ru/skating/ORS_2009.html
Does this interviewer really say
"I have an impression that Mao Asada's mother interfering in the working process of her daughter is not always beneficial."
in this interview?
I read this English translation at
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2508329
skating community?

Hmm...I wonder if the words "interfering" and "controlling" are too harsh. Maybe there are communication barriers or something. I think that it's perfectly normal for a girl to turn to her parents especially if she is facing a lot of stress- I think Mao is likely asking her mom for advice, which her mom gives, and she believes they are right, so she takes it. I'm sure most people on this forum have had similar experiences. Whether or not Mao's "team" believes those are right or not, I think it's still ultimately Mao's decision.
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 6:03 pm

Liffey wrote:

They chose Yu-Na because Samsung is one of the main official sponsors of the Olympics, and they suggested it. Figures Rolling Eyes

Congratulations to her though! What an experience!! I wonder if a big crowd will come out to see her? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 6:22 pm

This is the first time I've read something like this about Mao's mom. Probably because we never see and read much about her and what she does for her.

I agree, sapphiresky, that "interfering" and "controlling" are too harsh. They give quite a negative meaning for me. But I seem to have read something like this about Yuna's mom before and now Brian talks very positive about her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 6:36 pm

@ bibi - It's so awesome that you got to take part in the torch relay! And I saw from the other post that you got to keep the torch? Now that's what I call an Olympic keepsake Cheering

It's too bad that Mao probably won't be carrying the torch, but it would be slightly strange to have two non-Canadian athletes run the relay in Canada Razz .

I'm still hoping that Mao will be the flag-bearer at the opening ceremony. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 7:11 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
@ bibi - It's so awesome that you got to take part in the torch relay! And I saw from the other post that you got to keep the torch? Now that's what I call an Olympic keepsake Cheering

It's too bad that Mao probably won't be carrying the torch, but it would be slightly strange to have two non-Canadian athletes run the relay in Canada Razz .

I'm still hoping that Mao will be the flag-bearer at the opening ceremony. Very Happy

Yah, keeping the torch is soo cool!!
Back to top Go down
http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 pm

All mothers who have talented kids will interfere sometimes. They mean well, but they don't always know what's best in every situation, where a coach, manager, or someone like that would. I have no idea if Maos mom is one of those "stage moms" though.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:45 pm

kiki wrote:

skating community?

Thanks for the link, kiki!

This is the first time I am hearing anything like this about Mao's mother! Russian interview Icon_exclaim
It's interesting to know that you've heard similar stuff from the Russian skating community, polosatik.

From what I've read in the Mao books, it is clear that Mao's mother is very involved--she goes with Mao to all the competitions; she was the one who suggested that Mao part ways with Artunian--but I've never seen anyone criticize her for it, at least not among anything the Japanese media has written. Russian interview Confused

I'm wondering if the impression that TAT/the journalist have of Mao's mom is part of a bit of a cultural clash? Russian interview Confused I'm not sure how it is in Russia, but in Japan (and Asia), it seems that the moms/parents are typically very involved. Just look at the other top Japanese skaters--Oda is coached in part by his mom; Kozuka is coached in part by his dad...Miki's mom made her tiara for her costume... I'm wondering if that's just the normal way of doing things in Japan, but it seems like over-involvement to others.

Also - Mao's case IS special. I think she (and Yu-Na) probably need the full support of a parent or manager much more than the other skaters. Mao can't be worried about managing school, 5+ endorsement contracts, interviews, etc by herself. Someone's got to take care of these things!

At the very least, I know that Mao's mother is not like say, Brian Joubert's mother, and doesn't want to try and coach Mao herself. THAT would be over-involvement, in my opinion.

The one thing that comes through very clear in the Mao books is that her family adores her, and she loves them right back. Yep! So I'm sure that Mao's mother is acting out of love, even if TAT may think it's too much...
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:55 am

As you may know russian coaches are usually very strict and what they don't like is then parents are trying to control skating process. Yes they support their children etc but not like what jumps to do,what spins,what music. Tat's parted with Sasha because of her mother also. May be now things changed now,I don't know. Of course Mao's mom loves her very much and all she's trying to do is to support Mao as much as she can.
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 am

polosatik wrote:
Tat's parted with Sasha because of her mother also. May be now things changed now,I don't know. Of course Mao's mom loves her very much and all she's trying to do is to support Mao as much as she can.
That's the first thing that popped up in my mind as well. That said, like Batsuchan, I feel this is more of a cultural misunderstanding or just an extension of the "tough love" approach Russian coaches are known for, rather than a total disagreement. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Russian interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian interview   Russian interview Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Russian interview
Page 1 of 1