Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

US Nationals

Go down 
+19
tianrushui
BowbowDaijin
Luckyone
Mao_Asada_sunrise
polly10
dangerous_angel_face
alyssa
clovera
swan
roma
polosatik
periperi
bellarina
europeanfan
Alokya
illani
maofan93
ballerinamao
Star85
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

US Nationals - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks alokya!

4CC: Jeremy, Armin, Adam
(alternates) Brandon Mroz, Douglas Razzano, Jonathan Cassar

Worlds: Ryan, Richard Dornbush, Ross Miner
(alternates) Jeremy, Adam, Armin

ETA:
Junior Worlds: Max Aaron, Jason Brown, Keegan Messing
(alternates) Alex Zahradnicek, Steven Evans, Philip Warren

Hmm. This is a bit like 2009 when Brandon was picked over Johnny for the men and Alissa (back when she was still a headcase) over CaroZ for the Worlds team. I can't really say much else aside from that, but the US men are really going to have to fight to keep the three spots now IMO because with PatC, Team Japan, and the Euro guys around it's quite possible that there won't be a single US skater in the final flight after the SP and top 6 overall this year. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
maofan93

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm

But those skates from Armin, Adam, Ross, and Richard all show that maybe this isn't their year, but they will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. They quality of performances by these 4 men was AMAZING.
Back to top Go down
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel
Luckyone

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Mirai just did her EX and her layback was amazing, as before she hold her feet in the biellman, not the blade. Smile

Last edited by Luckyone on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Alokya wrote:
The top three men are going to worlds. Poor Jeremy. 4CC team is going to be announced later today... I kind of hope he at least gets on that one. His free skate is beautiful.

And yes!! Here is Alissa's. Breathtaking and magical. I can see why Mirai struggled after that one!!

Short and fluff piece - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGS7PtG6Ofk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Long - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBkr9ioSCE&feature=feedf

Mirai's - poor girl.

Short - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ODzdB4_6E&feature=feedf
Long - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulektq3x-WI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Rachael's -

Short - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Ib6INSEzY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Long - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53RWYRUvg8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Alissa looked so concentrated but magical during her performance! Oh my gosh! I mean, considering what she has been through for the past two years, it really feels like we were on the ice with her!
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Luckyone wrote:
Mirai just did her EX and her layback was amazing, as before he hold her feet in the biellman, not the blade. Smile

Do you have a link? I LOVE that variation!! The only time her layback was NOT perfection was at TEB, when she skated into a rut.
Back to top Go down
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel
Luckyone

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Alokya wrote:
Luckyone wrote:
Mirai just did her EX and her layback was amazing, as before he hold her feet in the biellman, not the blade. Smile

Do you have a link? I LOVE that variation!! The only time her layback was NOT perfection was at TEB, when she skated into a rut.

Sorry I don't have one, I saw it on TV Smile they surprisily aired here lol
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Ah, darn, they aren't airing it here in the US till next Saturday! Guess I'll just have to be patient...
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 am

Alokya wrote:
Ah, darn, they aren't airing it here in the US till next Saturday! Guess I'll just have to be patient...

Which channel and what time?
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 am

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
Alokya wrote:

Which channel and what time?

Saturday on NBC at 11:30 AM - 1 PM Pacific Time. So, most likely 2:30 PM - 4 PM Eastern Time, although you should probably check your local listings.
Back to top Go down
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel
periperi

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:18 am

Mirai's not going to Worlds, and Jeremy's not going to Worlds... Bawling

I hope Jeremy fights and skates his heart out at 4CC. If there's one thing I want to see is that gorgeous "Life Is Beautiful" program of his performed cleanly. At least, he's staying another year. I'm glad for that.

Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:55 am

What a crazy competition. clown

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by Rachael. Usually I found her performances somewhat lacking artistry-wise, but she's figuring out how to highlight her strengths with appropriate choreography and music. I loved the use of Ina Bauer and spread eagle in the footwork in the SP, and in general her use of body (esp. arms) improved a lot. Now if she only improved her spins and back posture a bit...

Alissa is lovely and a deserving champion. Her spins are just amazing (sadly she keeps missing a level on her layback - too bad, it's one of the best in the business). My one complaint is that the choreography - especially in the SP - does nothing to highlight her spinning ability. I love it when the choreo goes with the music, and I was rather put off when the music kept getting slower, while Alissa spinned like a top. It made the choreo seem a bit disjointed and frenetic. The spins could be a total show stopper if only a more fotting music was chosen.

I'm gutted for Mirai. She's my sentimental favourite. Sad Sadly, I think her programs this year do nothing to highlight her good qualities and the music cuts are poorly chosen. "Un sospiro", while gorgeous, doesn't go well with "Devil's dance", and the choreography doesn't suit that part of the music at all - Mirai just goes "over" the music, which is a great disappointment, because her past programs have proven that she has excellent musicality. And "Devil's dance" is wasted just for the final spins - I think it's a shame that this music wasn't used more, esp. for the footwork. Still, the SP is not as bad as the LP, which is just a disjointed mess of vaguely oriental music. Well, at least the dress was gorgeous this time.
I really hope Mirai will get better programs next year - I think her expression actually improved a bit this season and she performed her programs as well as she could.

On a Mao-related note - just like Mao, Caroline Zhang seems to be working on changing her 3F technique to the one Mao is using now (na pause after the turn, no "hammer toe"). She's struggling right now, which just shows how difficult changing the technique is. I wish her good luck. Caro-Z's layback is still stunning, it would be a waste if her career was ruined due to poor jump technique.

The men... Oh dear! I really hoped for Jeremy - Adam - Armin podium. Sad I don't even know what happened. Well, congrats to the medalists, especially to Ryan, whose programs I've always enjoyed. I love you They won fair and square, I'm just a bit worried that the pressure to keep the spots might be too much for them. It would be sad if USA lost a spot, because it look like the fight even for the 3 spots next year might be tight, with Armin, Richard and other strong juniors coming up.
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 7:00 pm

I just got to finish watching the competition (had to stay away from all figure skating sites for a few days!), and as usual, nationals was very entertaining, and full of drama!

The most surprising event by far was the mens. Who would have predicted it would end up like this?! Anyone?... Didn't think so. I was hoping Ryan would do good, but I didn't expect him to win! I've always really liked him. He's never been a consistent skater, or the most polished skater, but he's probably the most entertaining skater out there - and that's something that counts for a lot in my book. His SP was so great. I was hoping he would be able to keep it up through the LP, and I wasn't sure if he had done enough by the time it was over, but he did! Even if you're not sure he deserved to win, you're probably not at all upset that he did Wink. That's kind of how I feel. Although after thinking about, I do think he deserved it.

I did feel very bad for Jeremy though. But wow, US mens skating is definitely not lacking with the absence of Evan and Johnny! I thought the ladies pool was pretty impressive and deep after watching them first, but then I saw then men, and..... yeah, wow!... It will be exiting to see how these talented new guys' careers unfold.

I thought Alissa's SP was one of the most beautiful SPs ever! If she would just keep skating like that, she might very well be tied with Mao as my favorite skater. Sorry to say that!... Is she really not getting level 4s on her laybacks?! That's crazy Mad! Mirai's SP was really great too, but I though Alissa's was just a little better. Not sure why the judges thought the opposite. I never enjoy Rachael's skating much, but I gotta say, her SP was very good. She skated with passion you don't usually see from her, and you couldn't help but feel it.

I'm really happy for Alissa for winning the whole thing again! She really deserved it. I was really sad for Mirai though. I was kind of surprised to see her scores were that low. I really love both these skaters, and I was hoping they would be first and second. I thought Miria's LP was by far better than Rachael's, and was surprised the judges gave it to Rachael (and by that much). But on the other hand, this is becoming typical, so I'm not Rolling Eyes. And then again, I'm just a fan judging on what little I know, and what looks best to me, and not looking for all the little technical things.

Pairs was kind of a surprising competition too! I was hoping the pair who won would do good, and was predicting they would come in 3rd or 2nd at best, but they won! And they totally deserved it. Both programs were beautiful.

Anyone else think Frank Carol was a bit of a grouchy baby in the kiss n cry after Mirai's LP?... lol. I couldn't help but laugh. Laugh

Last edited by Star85 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : opps accidentally put a mad face at the end instead of laughing face)
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Star85 wrote:

The most surprising event by far was the mens. Who would have predicted it would end up like this?! Anyone?... Didn't think so. I was hoping Ryan would do good, but I didn't expect him to win! I've always really liked him. He's never been a consistent skater, or the most polished skater, but he's probably the most entertaining skater out there - and that's something that counts for a lot in my book. His SP was so great. I was hoping he would be able to keep it up through the LP, and I wasn't sure if he had done enough by the time it was over, but he did! Even if you're not sure he deserved to win, you're probably not at all upset that he did Wink. That's kind of how I feel. Although after thinking about, I do think he deserved it.
I feel the exact same way! It wasn't that I thought he had earned his win, necessarily - I just WANTED him to win because he seems so nice and personable. Some people think his LP is offensive but I think it's a lot of fun.

Star85 wrote:
I thought Alissa's SP was one of the most beautiful SPs ever! If she would just keep skating like that, she might very well be tied with Mao as my favorite skater. Sorry to say that!...
Shocked
Hehehe just kidding! I've always thought she's a really beautiful skater and she'd be great if only she could stay on her feet. I'm really glad she was able to and that she's gaining consistency.

Star85 wrote:

Anyone else think Frank Carol was a bit of a grouchy baby in the kiss n cry after Mirai's LP?... lol. I couldn't help but laugh. Mad

I definitely raised my eyebrows at that. I wasn't hugely bothered by it, but I AM bothered by some things he said to Phil Hersh..here are some of the things he said:

"Her coach, Frank Carroll, told me Sunday he was infuriated by the way Nagasu appeared to give up at the end of her program and her posture as she waited on the ice for the scores of the previous skater. He felt she was all but mooning the audience (without exposing any flesh, of course) by bending over repeatedly in the middle of the rink to tie her skates."
Suspect

"``She needs an awakening,'' Carroll said. ``Maybe this is the slap that will do it.''

"``She had such a great season it was hard to get her juices going again,'' Carroll said. ``And not having Evan in the rink beside her every day to kick her butt and tell her when she was ridiculous also was a factor. She has been a bit all over the place. Sometimes I don't understand where she is coming from. I feel she trained better than what I got (Saturday), but she didn't get her act together until about three weeks ago. That's not really long enough.''

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/01/2014-olympics-czisny-flatt-nagasu-who-makes-it.html

I get that he's a very honest person/coach, but I find it a bit harsh to say those things publicly like that.
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm

[quote="bellarina"]
Star85 wrote:

Star85 wrote:

Anyone else think Frank Carol was a bit of a grouchy baby in the kiss n cry after Mirai's LP?... lol. I couldn't help but laugh. Mad

I definitely raised my eyebrows at that. I wasn't hugely bothered by it, but I AM bothered by some things he said to Phil Hersh..here are some of the things he said:

"Her coach, Frank Carroll, told me Sunday he was infuriated by the way Nagasu appeared to give up at the end of her program and her posture as she waited on the ice for the scores of the previous skater. He felt she was all but mooning the audience (without exposing any flesh, of course) by bending over repeatedly in the middle of the rink to tie her skates."
Suspect

"``She needs an awakening,'' Carroll said. ``Maybe this is the slap that will do it.''

"``She had such a great season it was hard to get her juices going again,'' Carroll said. ``And not having Evan in the rink beside her every day to kick her butt and tell her when she was ridiculous also was a factor. She has been a bit all over the place. Sometimes I don't understand where she is coming from. I feel she trained better than what I got (Saturday), but she didn't get her act together until about three weeks ago. That's not really long enough.''

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/01/2014-olympics-czisny-flatt-nagasu-who-makes-it.html

I get that he's a very honest person/coach, but I find it a bit harsh to say those things publicly like that.

Ouch. That was a bit harsh. I'm starting to think that either he may not be the right coach for her afterall, or she's not as serious as she needs to be, and is one of those people who has a hard time working hard on their own without being pushed. The later is kind of the impression I've gotten after reading, and hearing things about her over the past few years. I've hoped that isn't true though. People like that either usually don't truly love what they do, or they just have a problem with laziness, motivation, and work ethic (or a combination of both).
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 pm

It seems American people love Ryan, yes? Razz To be honest, I was shocked by his programs, they're terrible. Sorry, and he wasn't skating he was walking. I'm so depressed with results. Rolling Eyes Jeremy deserved 3rd place, and this junior Richard should have won, because Ryan is ... No I know he is popular and everything, but even if he lands all his quads his place at Worlds not higher then 12. I can't believe that the best skater , who deserved his place at Worlds is sitting home. And I'm not a fan of Jeremy. But after watching a men's long program, I thought I was watching a show, not a competition. but what can i say, thanks for this world team USA. lol! Chan is so happy now, I'm sure!
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 3:29 am

I still can't believe Rachel got all those points for that program. It's so boring, slow, and she messed some jumps. Mirai was better IMO, but got only 113 and is out of Worlds. But internationals judges don't like Rachel that much and things will be different there hopefully. I'm happy for Alissa. I hope she gets a podium in March (not first place, cause this is Mao's Razz ).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 4:54 am

polosatik wrote:
I what can i say, thanks for this world team USA. lol! Chan is so happy now, I'm sure!

I don't think any of US men could be a threat for Chan so probably he doesn't really care. He's sooooo loved by judges
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 am

The only reason Ryan is going to worlds in the first place is because he ended up in first. I'm kind of annoyed that USFS did that, though, because his programs are not going to go that far on an international level. But unfortunately, like everything else in the US, they just HAVE to be politically correct and place him on the worlds team. Yes, he makes the audience laugh, but his programs are not choreographically strong. Plus, his basic skating skills are relatively weak, especially when you compare them with Taka's or Patrick Chan's.

On the other hand, Jeremy has had a track record of bad performances at worlds. I hope he does well at Four Continents! And we'll see how Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner do as well, it will be interesting to see if the US can hold onto three world spots.

If Mirai does exceptionally well at 4CC, I hope that USFS reconsiders their decision to send Rachael to worlds. Unfortunately, USFS believes that Rachael is the future of women's figure skating in the United States - who knows HOW that came to that conclusion, minus her consistency. Who knows what will happen next year when she goes to Stanford.

europeanfan wrote:
polosatik wrote:
I what can i say, thanks for this world team USA. lol! Chan is so happy now, I'm sure!

I don't think any of US men could be a threat for Chan so probably he doesn't really care. He's sooooo loved by judges
Rolling Eyes

You know, if Taka gets a teeny bit more consistent and skates like he did at TEB at every competition, he vs. Patrick would be quite the rivalry. Both have beautiful basic skating skills and gorgeous jumps. I hope this starts at worlds this year.
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 pm

True. I don't know know why the US keeps sending the top finishers to worlds - well I do know why, but I also know it would be smarter in some cases not to - cases like this. The winner should go, no matter who it is, or no matter how much a fluke anyone thinks it is. But other than that, I think they should take other factors into consideration more. In this case, I really think they would be smarter to send Jeremy to worlds instead of the bronze medalist Ross. Not necessarily because Jeremy deserves it more (cause that's really just a matter of opinion), but solely because with Jeremy, the US will have a should chance of securing 3 spots for next year. And although I love Ryan, and think that these new guys are great and have a bright future, I don't any of them has much of a chance even cracking the top 5 at worlds.

As far as them changing their minds if Mirai or Jeremy does killer at 4 continents, I don't see that happening. I don't think they've ever done that have they? Although you would think it would make sense to do that, it still really isn't fair at all to the other skaters who think it's final that they are going to worlds.
Back to top Go down
Hotaru

Hotaru

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 pm

I think my hopes of the ladies gaining 3 spots have diminished... I think Alissa can definitely medal, but she has to skate her absolute best. I think if Rachael skated her best, she'd likely place somewhere around 7-10th... maybe higher if others make mistakes. Although I thought she was the most gifted with her scores (umm... highest PCS for the short program? really?!), she did skate slightly better than Mirai in the long program. I would have had their total scores much closer.

As for the guys... I think I'm most shocked that Jeremy didn't make the World team. I would have preferred to see Jeremy, Adam, and Armin go to Worlds instead of the podium finishers, but at least we'll see them at 4CC.
Back to top Go down
KariDebate
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
KariDebate

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Hotaru wrote:
I think my hopes of the ladies gaining 3 spots have diminished... I think Alissa can definitely medal, but she has to skate her absolute best. I think if Rachael skated her best, she'd likely place somewhere around 7-10th... maybe higher if others make mistakes. Although I thought she was the most gifted with her scores (umm... highest PCS for the short program? really?!), she did skate slightly better than Mirai in the long program. I would have had their total scores much closer.

As for the guys... I think I'm most shocked that Jeremy didn't make the World team. I would have preferred to see Jeremy, Adam, and Armin go to Worlds instead of the podium finishers, but at least we'll see them at 4CC.

i agree..... in terms of the ladies....Rachel can break the top ten and alyssa can as well, however alyssa worries me. Her track record at worlds isnt that great and i think she may have peaked too soon.....I think that Jeremy should be on the world team because he is the only US male who is competative internationally....he was only .19 away from the bronze medal...i think the two medals he won during the grand prix season should count for something
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 pm

I watched Mirai's FS at nationals and I must say I expected something much worse than I saw. Yes, she made some mistakes but this FS wasn't so bad. I actually like it more than Rachaels and definitely would give Mirai higher PCS.

On the other hand it wouldn't change anything because even though that Rachael would win b/c of technical score. I prefer Nagasu than Flatt, but still think Rachael deserved world spot more than Mirai did.

But I will miss Mirai... Sad
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Here is Mirai's ex!! GORGEOUS!! If she could only control her nerves, she would be competing with Mao and Yu-Na for the world's gold medal!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNB9MMW9VLo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

A lot of the other skaters' ex from nationals have been uploaded by the same person that uploaded this one - you can check his uploads.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:16 am

Have you seen this exhibition from nationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRQSh9mTqg

???

O-M-G!!! Shocked Shocked What a child!!!
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am

Alokya wrote:
Here is Mirai's ex!! GORGEOUS!! If she could only control her nerves, she would be competing with Mao and Yu-Na for the world's gold medal!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNB9MMW9VLo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

A lot of the other skaters' ex from nationals have been uploaded by the same person that uploaded this one - you can check his uploads.

Oh I love her performance!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: US Nationals   US Nationals - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

US Nationals
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4