Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Patrick Chan

Go down 
+11
polosatik
europeanfan
klarification
Star85
zakkan
Batsuchan
SmileAsYouCan
sunshine
Oscilla
helen91
bibi
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I had a wonderful day today, I met Patrick Chan! He was the special guest at a figure skating club show near from where I live. I filmed his two performances and the encore! He was awesome, that was the first time I see him skate live!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dps7HdOcMz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_8iowpeHY
I was really surprised to see that we were the only one (apart from the skaters of the club) waiting for autographs and pictures with him! Not so long after the show, we asked a volunteer if Patrick would come and he came to see us! He was really nice and I was surprised to see that he speaks French!
Back to top Go down
http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
helen91
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
helen91

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 pm

lucky you! he has such potential and i really love his FS from this, or should i say last season!
Back to top Go down
Oscilla
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Oscilla

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:12 am

You're lucky to see him skate live! I admire him a lot, he's one of the young skaters with a great potential.
Back to top Go down
sunshine
Double Axel
Double Axel
sunshine

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 pm

How nice that you met him! He seems to be such a nice guy! His skating skills are simply amazing. He is such a classy skater.
Back to top Go down
SmileAsYouCan

SmileAsYouCan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I am so excited that he's using Phantom of the Opera for his long program for the Olympic year!!! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Ooh, lucky you bibi! Very Happy

When I got an autograph from Patrick at Worlds, he was really nice about it too. Thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 7:56 am

Batsuchan wrote:
Ooh, lucky you bibi! Very Happy

When I got an autograph from Patrick at Worlds, he was really nice about it too. Thumbs up!

Haha, that was from last year, but we (my brother and I) saw him again at Skate Canada this year and he recognize us every time he saw us! because at the very beginning of the week, my brother got an autograph from him on the photo he took with him at this show, so I think he remembered it and then, all week long, he waved at us when he saw us Smile
Back to top Go down
zakkan

zakkan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Patrick Chan Makes a Coaching Change
Patrick Chan will be coached choreographer Lori Nichol with assistance from technical expert Christy Krall.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1895&pid=2166&st=0&#entry2166

Ummmmm.....
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:36 am

Wow you're lucky bibi! You always seem to get to do the coolest stuff! I'm so envious! lol
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:34 am

Star85 wrote:
Wow you're lucky bibi! You always seem to get to do the coolest stuff! I'm so envious! lol
ahah thanks! I feel lucky Smile
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 4:58 am

He's currently one of my fave male skaters, along with King Plushenko.

AND PATRICK CHAN SPEAKS FRENCH~ :3
More love for this guy please! XD
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 am

FS of Patrick Chan at nationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcPTXUh1uA

WOW!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 am

That was totally insane!!!! AWESOME !!!!!
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 am

That was great skate for Patrick. But still some of the landings were insecure. And he was nervous. I'll never be satisfied with your skating Patrick. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 pm

LOLL polosatik, I love your dislike of PChan Razz

Hmm... I've gotten increasingly angry at PChan recently, but I have to admit I think he did a really good job here. His Nationals FS was my favorite of all his performances, and I applaud him for trying more difficult elements like two quads, including a 4-3 combo, when last year showed that you don't need them to win. I would argue about the massive score except that Nationals in general have inflated scores, and Canadian competitions especially lovessss their Canadians Razz I do want to say that I can't believe his double axel in the short got literally the whole spectrum of GOEs, from -3 to +3. The same jump should not have that much variation in GOEs..I think that really shows the biggest problem with GOEs: that though there's supposedly a standard that they follow, judges in actuality just give whatever GOE they want, not necessarily what the jump deserves.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:20 am

bellarina wrote:
I think that really shows the biggest problem with GOEs: that though there's supposedly a standard that they follow, judges in actuality just give whatever GOE they want, not necessarily what the jump deserves.

It's not only about jumps No When judges "like" some skaters, they give them incredibly high GOE for spins, steps and spirals too Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
maofan93

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 am

europeanfan wrote:
bellarina wrote:
I think that really shows the biggest problem with GOEs: that though there's supposedly a standard that they follow, judges in actuality just give whatever GOE they want, not necessarily what the jump deserves.

It's not only about jumps No When judges "like" some skaters, they give them incredibly high GOE for spins, steps and spirals too Rolling Eyes

I completely agree, and this happens at al levels, from Juvenile to Internationals. This is when people claim spirals get high GOE for "edge quality" when it's a bad position, and frankly, it's ridiculous.

It just happens. It's annoying, but we have to get over if and make sure our favorite skate SO well the judges MUST place them in front of our non-favorites to avoid controversy.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:08 am

maofan93 wrote:

This is when people claim spirals get high GOE for "edge quality" when it's a bad position, and frankly, it's ridiculous.

Few years ago Sasha's spirals were thought the best spirals ever b/c of amazing flexibility and none of commenators had any doubts about that (even though Michelle had better speed and edges). Flexibility had ALWAYS been the most important feature of good spiral.

And where are we now? Rolling Eyes Yuna can beat Mirai's (and sometimes Mao's) spiral sequences... confused ridiculous.

Back to top Go down
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
maofan93

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:11 pm

europeanfan wrote:
maofan93 wrote:

This is when people claim spirals get high GOE for "edge quality" when it's a bad position, and frankly, it's ridiculous.

Few years ago Sasha's spirals were thought the best spirals ever b/c of amazing flexibility and none of commenators had any doubts about that (even though Michelle had better speed and edges). Flexibility had ALWAYS been the most important feature of good spiral.

And where are we now? Rolling Eyes Yuna can beat Mirai's (and sometimes Mao's) spiral sequences... confused ridiculous.

Yes I was talking about her, but didn't want to bring her into this. It makes no sense. The judges do what they want, and somethings just don't make sense. Mirai should always get better GOE for her spirals than Yu-na, but the judges will do what they will do...
Back to top Go down
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel
periperi

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 am

I'm going to have to disagree with a few of the comments on here... The most important aspect of a spiral IS the change of edge. A spiral is not a "true" spiral unless it is done on either the outside or inside edge regardless of the position of the leg. It raises the overall difficulty of it. The quality of it, and the speed you get across the ice is absolutely essential for scoring spirals. That you can get a split position is all well and good, but you can't excuse a slow spiral with a wobbly, shallow edge transition just because of that. That's why I've never been a fan of Sasha's COE spiral as gorgeous as her position was. The change of edge just seemed too difficult for her, most likely attributed to her weak edging. (I mean no offence to her skating, she's one of the most beautiful skaters I've ever seen, but that was just one of her weaknesses).

It doesn't make me any less confused at the way Yu-Na has been scoring in that element, however. She may have speed, but her edges are nowhere near deep. Many people use the "speed and deep edges" to excuse her but she doesn't fit in that category. While she has wonderful basics, I've never felt edging to being her forte at all.

I also love Mao's spirals better now that she has more speed (thanks to Sato), and she's always had beautiful edges. These things are taken into account because they raise the overall difficultly and imo appeal to the move. Don't get me wrong, I think the position and pointing of the toe should be taken into account and they also add to the appeal of the overall move, they just shouldn't be taken into account as much imo.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 5:44 am

periperi wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with a few of the comments on here... The most important aspect of a spiral IS the change of edge.

Of course you're right but all of those skaters (Mao, Mirai, Yuna) change edges very well. Moreover here you have a skater with the best speed and edges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtNTyUG0DTE

and she's never got such high scores for spirals.

One year ago my top 2 "spirals makers" were definitely Mirai (1st) and Mao (2nd). Currently Mao has better speed and Mirai has worse speed than 1year ago, so actually I prefer Mao's Razz Yuna's spirals aren't even close to my favourites, I think flexibility is her the biggest weakness and it makes me not like her spirals and I-spins, even though I love her other elements - especially jumps.

Back to top Go down
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel
periperi

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 8:15 am

europeanfan wrote:
periperi wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with a few of the comments on here... The most important aspect of a spiral IS the change of edge.

Of course you're right but all of those skaters (Mao, Mirai, Yuna) change edges very well. Moreover here you have a skater with the best speed and edges:

One year ago my top 2 "spirals makers" were definitely Mirai (1st) and Mao (2nd). Currently Mao has better speed and Mirai has worse speed than 1year ago, so actually I prefer Mao's Razz Yuna's spirals aren't even close to my favourites, I think flexibility is her the biggest weakness and it makes me not like her spirals and I-spins, even though I love her other elements - especially jumps.

I definitely agree with this. As generous as the judges are with Carolina, I'm surprised at how many times her GOEs in spirals are lower than those of lesser quality performed by other skaters.

As for my quote, I'm glad we're on the same page, but I wish to rephrase a bit. I meant to say the quality of the edge is the most important aspect of a spiral, not the transition from one to the other itself. It's nitpicking, but I want to make myself completely clear.
Back to top Go down
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
maofan93

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 am

periperi wrote:
europeanfan wrote:
periperi wrote:

I definitely agree with this. As generous as the judges are with Carolina, I'm surprised at how many times her GOEs in spirals are lower than those of lesser quality performed by other skaters.

As for my quote, I'm glad we're on the same page, but I wish to rephrase a bit. I meant to say the quality of the edge is the most important aspect of a spiral, not the transition from one to the other itself. It's nitpicking, but I want to make myself completely clear.

I agree - what I was saying is when people like Flatt, Ando, Kim, etc. get high scores for their spirals and then say it's because of the edge, this makes no sense to me because they all wobble around when changing edge. To me, that is not good edge quality.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 am

periperi wrote:

I guessed you mean it Thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 pm

ITA with you guys about the GOE and spiral subject! Don't get me started on ranting about this!...

Back to the subject of Patrick. I just wanted to say I watched Patrick at nationals and though he was super! As usual, the judges were overly generous with his scores, but at least this time there was no question that he did deserve that win. I was so pissed that they didn't show the SP on tv when it specifically said "mens short program" in the description! I was even more pissed when I accidentally recored the mens LP on the HD station which we don't get Very Mad! It was NOT replayed, so I had to watch individual skates on YT Sad...
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Sponsored content

Patrick Chan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patrick Chan   Patrick Chan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Patrick Chan
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next