Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kwan and Button to commentate for World

Go down 
+4
Maya
Batsuchan
clovera
chiyori
8 posters
AuthorMessage
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

Kwan and Button to commentate for World Empty
PostSubject: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:30 am

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2009/02/kwan-on-nbc-team-at-worlds.html

... What can I say... Cloud 9

I Love Hearts Uncle Dick!!! And I'm so happy to have him back for another year Cloud 9 And of course what fantastic news about Michelle. I wasn't planning on watching NBC's tiny coverage because I can't stand Scott Hamilton's squealing like a little girl at every jump, but this, I will enjoy. I can't wait to hear Uncle Dick's famous inputs. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that they all usually work in favour of Mao. Too sweet! Like "That's a real sit spin! We see to many that aren't really..." "Beautiful back!", etc. It'll be awesome when Mao lands her 3A(s) Yikes!!!

I hear (read) a lot of people think this is Michelle's way of letting us know she will not be going back to competitive skating. I don't know. It does look like this event could help her prepare for a more in-depth coverage at the Olys... What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Same here! Razz And hopefully the presence of Dick + Michelle will bring a little sense of sensibility to the NBC booth that is usually full of the squealing by Scott and Sandra Bezic... Sweatdrop

I agree with the "Michelle's sign" idea. I just don't think it's realistic this late into the game to speculate that either her or Sasha can possibly make their way back into the the competitive scene. I do hope Michelle's significance will draw more viewers back to the sport though. I still hear the usual "I only watch figure skating because of Michelle" deal with casual watchers of the sport, and it seems to be the popular mentality in the U.S. that FS is truly overrun by "little girls." That argument seems to pop up everywhere in the papers, and it can't be any more inaccurate - Mao is 18 and is not exactly a "girl" anymore by any means, and a significant number of the top ladies in FS right now (Yu-Na, Joannie, CaroK, Miki, Laura, Fumie, etc.) are far from fitting that mold as well.

I would be looking forward to this, definitely! Confetti
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm

I agree with you chiyori, I Love Hearts Uncle Dick! And I Love Hearts it even more when he Love Hearts Mao! Hell, no! I hope he likes 'Masquerade Waltz' though - I'll be very disappointed if he goes the way of the CBC announcers... Crying or Very sad

On some of the other forums, they were saying that Michelle won't be doing the commentary during the programs, but more like in between the programs commentary - but we shall see. I will miss Peggy Fleming!! It made me Wub every time she was like "Mao does the most beautiful triple axel I've ever seen," and "she takes my breath away."

I think I'm most excited to see Mirai Nagasu on the Japanese broadcast!! Mao + Mirai interview will be too cute for words!! Many Hearts I can't wait!

ETA Does anyone know which Japanese station is broadcasting Worlds? I couldn't find it on the Fuji TV or TV Asahi websites - is it going to be NHK?
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:23 pm

lol I just noticed the news was already in the Mao strategy thread. Too sweet! Ah well, this makes it more official.

Batsuchan, I don't know. I hope he'll like it too. WHen he saw it at TEB, Kurt seemed to like it well enough even though it was not well skated. I've been wondering about his change of heart since... or maybe I just heard what I wanted at TEB Laugh Anyway, I remember Uncle Dick loving the basics about Mao; posture, edge quality, flow and quality of positions, all of which I think are really evidenced in her FS. And I think these, the speed and the "building up" feeling the music and intensity give us are what make it a masterpiece. It's not a program where she can play a role, being all dramatic and stopping in the middle of the ice to flail her arms around while looking sad. She is dancing. She is dancing and the tension builds up and up because this is her last dance before her husband kills her. I think it's a fantastic program with much more story and depth (also much less "done" over and over again) than many we have seen recently.

Anyway, I got really carried away here... Sorry. Lips sealed I truly hope Uncle Dick, my third favourite commentator after Chriss and Nicky will step up and show me why I put him up on that pedestal.

Alright, stopping with the nonsense now and going to bed 'cause it's obvious I need it badly Whirly

Goodnight!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 pm

chiyori - I hope you're right about Uncle Dick! Very Happy Did you see the Radio Canada broadcast (I posted the link in the 4CC thread)? I'm really curious about what those commentators said!

I do find it really interesting that opinions on Mao's LP are so divided - people either love it or hate it! And it seems people that don't really like Mao, or find her boring, think this program is a good change, while people who like Mao's subtle/pretty style hate it.

I agree with you that Mao's LP is so different from the other skaters' - she's constantly dancing; she never stops - but even I have to admit that I don't think she has it down 100% yet (like you said in the thread about what programs Mao should use). Even I feel like it's not "Mao-rashii" (Mao-like) yet; she hasn't made it her own yet.

But I felt the same way about Mao's 07-08 SP until I saw her do it at Worlds and was completely and utterly blown away. WOW!

Hopefully the same thing will happen at this Worlds! I am preparing to see Mao bring the house down! Cheering
Back to top Go down
Maya
Double Axel
Double Axel
Maya

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 am

Batsuchan wrote:
but we shall see. I will miss Peggy Fleming!! It made me Wub every time she was like "Mao does the most beautiful triple axel I've ever seen," and "she takes my breath away."

And so will I. Wub
I just love Peggys commentating, she has a lovely soft voice and knows a lot about technique. It's just such a pleasure to listen to her.
But yay for Button! I also can't stand Scott Hamilton with his squeezing and childish attitude. Not every good skater is a good commentator.
So let's hope Michelle will do justice. She and Button sure are a good choice, I bet they both will get along very well Smile

I'm soooo looking forward to worlds! It's not even a month till then! This is going to be very exciting Cheering
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 8:04 am

My favourite uncle Dick is back!YEY! cheers cheers he and Peggy are my favourites forever Mushy Love And I'm sure Michelle will do well, she's very positive and lovely person, and the LEGEND Cloud 9 . I wonder how will she react to Yu-Na's LP? Too sweet! Just curious!
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm

This makes me very happy! Dick is my favorite commentator, and I have missed him! I also think it will be cool having Michelle commentate. She's one of my favorite skaters of all time. If I don't get to see her skate any more, at least I will get to see and hear something of her on tv. I like her personality too. I can't wait to see what she has to say about the skaters. Hiring her was also a smart choice. Everyone loves her.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
GoMao!2010

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 5:58 pm

I love Dick! NOT MICHELLE Sad This is terrible! Maybe they'll make her sit on the floor because I can't imagine anyone wants to hear her comments, although I'm sure she'll be practicing them day and night, come crunch time she'll forget, she usually does when the pressure is on Wink Definitely not a legend, I don't put her in the same ranks as Peggy. If NBC wants more teens, why would they hire someone that has dressed like she's 40 since she was 17? hmmmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Admin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

I've never heard Michelle commentating... I think it could be interesting. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://maoasada.forumotion.net
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:00 pm

z4mboni wrote:
I've never heard Michelle commentating... I think it could be interesting. Smile

Well, from what I've read, she won't be doing the actual play-by-play commentating, but the in-between introduction of the skaters/comments on their performances. Like Terry Gannon (?spelling) on ESPN - Dick and Peggy were doing the actual commentary but in between the skaters, he'd supply background info/ask Dick & Peggy questions.

At any rate, I agree with z4mboni (yaay, you also came out of hiding too! Very Happy) - I think it will be interesting! flower
Back to top Go down
GoMao!2010

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 am

Thats good to know! I know we need someone young to give a new spin on everything. She is just has so little personality, never a fan of her skating either, slow, obvious politics involved
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kwan and Button to commentate for World   Kwan and Button to commentate for World Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kwan and Button to commentate for World
Page 1 of 1