Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.

Go down 
+31
mitsuno
Eley87
angelberry
MaoNinja
kiki
Mirai
maowataiyo
sockpuff
itcaip
MaoMaoRevolution
e2girl
Okami
ddmm
bleedingblades3
bibi
Maya
Admin
Erika
reiko.
chiyori
SoMiTripleAxel
coconut
snowdrops24
summervie
clovera
polosatik
chineseteacup
chapis
Batsuchan
Oscilla
☆Genie
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
☆Genie

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Empty
PostSubject: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Mar. 23-29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Discuss!!!! king

----------------------------------------------

Good luck Mao!!!
Back to top Go down
Oscilla
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Oscilla

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 am

My first day at Worlds!!

Well, this is going to be some random rambling, but hopefully some of it will be interesting... Sweatdrop

So Mao is not here yet (as expected), but the rest of the Japanese team is!

Ladies
My Mom and I got to the Staples Center in time to see the Ladies practice group #4, which includes Japan, Poland, Russia, and Finland. That's 7 ladies (well, only 6 today because Mao wasn't there). I guess the countries in the practice groups are randomly assigned (?), but this practice group seems particularly packed with top people: there's the three Japanese ladies and the two Finnish ladies, all of whom I think have a good chance of finishing within the top 10. The group that was practicing when I entered, on the other hand, had only three ladies practicing, and they represented India, Monaco and I forgot the third.

I'm no expert by any means, but Miki Ando and Fumie Suguri looked pretty good, as did the Finnish ladies. At the very end I saw Miki do a nice 3Lz+3Lo. Very Happy

The next group was supposed to include Joannie Rochette and Cynthia Phaneuf, but neither of them were there, so we skipped it.

Then Yu-Na was there!! At first it was only her and two other ladies, but then Na-Young Kim came on the ice a little bit late. Yu-Na practiced stroking, then her spirals, then some 2A's, and then the rest of her jumps. She did a bunch of nice 3F+3T. But then she fell twice - the first time it was randomly in the middle of skating (I was looking away), and the second time in the middle of her step sequence in her run-through. It was pretty bizarre, and I think Yu-Na herself was surprised, and she was laughing at herself. But the second time she kinda slid on her shoulder a little bit - and it looked like it was a little sore (or ice-burned?) since she wasn't wearing sleeves.

The US ladies were practicing after that - but only Rachel Flatt was there (no Alissa Czisny). She was wearing her costume and full make-up. Which reminds me - after the Japanese ladies skated I saw Caroline Zhang in the crowd, so I got an autograph and a picture. Happy dance I guess I was lucky because after that she went and sat on the opposite side of the rink, which only the skaters/ISU people have access to. I also saw Charlene Wong (Mirai Nagasu's coach).

While the ladies were practicing, Michelle Kwan, Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning were all there watching. Interestingly enough, Brian Orser was sitting and chatting with Kurt. It was kind of funny because the Korean ladies who were sitting behind us were like, "Who's sitting with Brian?" and my Mom, who doesn't know too much about skating, was like "?? Brian who??". ROTFLMAO

The last group included Carolina Kostner - I have to say that I was more impressed seeing her skate live. I don't think I would be a fan or anything, but I guess I could kinda see why she's been in the top 3 at Worlds and GPF.

The other person who impressed me more than I expected was Miki Ando. I've always been a fan of Miki, but I was much more impressed watching her live than I expected! Go Miki! Cheering

Men
For the men's practice, my Mom and I managed to move down to the front row, right next to the ice. That made watching Brian Joubert all the more enjoyable. Swoon He looked like he was having some trouble with his jumps though - hands down on the 3A and the 4T, etc.

We happened to be sitting next to a bunch of Japanese ladies, and they were also very excited to see Joubert. Laugh

They were also excited to see the Japanese men. In fact, we were cheering really loudly for Nobu, Mura and Kozuka. Kozu seemed to get a lot of applause from the whole audience though. Many Hearts

Nobu was looking pretty good - he started jumping pretty early in the practice. He was having some problems with his quad but I did see at least one quad-triple landed.

Kozu didn't start jumping till the very end. He mostly worked on stroking/footwork - very, very smooth.

Mura has a gorgeous, huge 3A!! WOW!

I saw Miki Ando watching the men from the stands. flower

The next group included the Canadian men. Pat-Chan, Chipeur and Ten got a lot of cheers from the audience, but Pat-Chan seemed a bit off today - having some trouble with the 3A. But then again, Chipeur and Ten also stepped out/fell on their 3A attempts in the run through. Neutral

I did think it was interesting that Nobu and Kozu came back out to watch Pat-Chan do his run-through.

In the final group of men, we saw Tomas Verner - he did this thing where he'd do a 3A and blow a kiss - much to our amusement. Swoon

Denis Ten can do a Biellmann! I was really impressed! WOW!

Ok, well, ladies practice starts at 6:00am tomorrow, so g'night!
I hope Mao is there tomorrow night! Very Happy

ETA I just read that Mao is flying out of Kansai Airport instead of Narita Airport, as originally planned, because there was some kind of fire at Narita!
http://mainichi.jp/select/jiken/news/20090323k0000e050071000c.html

I totally take that as a good sign, however. Remember how Mao had airplane trouble before 2008 GPF and ended up coming late to practice? And then she won? Yup, totally expect something similar here! flower
Back to top Go down
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chapis

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 1:03 am

Thank you! for the report Worship
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 1:39 am

Batsuchan wrote:
I just read that Mao is flying out of Kansai Airport instead of Narita Airport, as originally planned, because there was some kind of fire at Narita!

A Fed-Ex plane crashed and burst into flames at Narita airport! Both pilots on the plane died in the crash. I felt kinda scared when I first read the news because I knew that Mao would be getting on the plane from Japan either today or tomorrow for the Worlds and I thought back to the Sabena Flight 548 crash, which killed the whole U.S. figure-skating team on their way to 1961 World Championships in Prague. *touches wood*

Thanks ever so for that report on the first day of Worlds! You are sooooo lucky that you get to go and see Mao in person! And Miki! And Carolina! And even Yuna(!) (sorry, couldn't help myself Embarassed ) Will you keep us informed on everything that happens there through the week? Pretty please? Smile
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 am

Worship Worship Thank you sooo much!!!!!!! With all this planes crashes affraid I'm getting a little bit afraid for her! I wonder,if Tat flying with her?
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:14 am

Thank you so much Batsuchan for keeping us updated! I love you The Narita Airport crash definitely caught me off guard - hopefully we won't have any more of those for the remainder of the week! Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 am

Oh, thank you so much, Batsuchan! sunny
Back to top Go down
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
snowdrops24

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:35 am

Thank you Batsuchan for the news!! I hope that Mao's flight went fine and that we'll be able to see her tomorrow in practice~
Back to top Go down
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
coconut

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:46 am

Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:43 am

Interview video!
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00151682.html

I liked this better, Mao seemed to have more 'fighting spirit.' She said she wants to do all the elements she's done all season, not let her condition fall from its current state, and do her best. Go Mao!!! Cheering

Off to see the other Japanese ladies!

I will try my best to keep you all updated, but with the practices running from 6:00am to midnight, well, I shall try my best! Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
SoMiTripleAxel
Double Axel
Double Axel
SoMiTripleAxel

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks a lot Batsuchan!!! Have a nice stay in LA.
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am

Batsuchan wrote:
Interview video!
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00151682.html

I liked this better, Mao seemed to have more 'fighting spirit.' She said she wants to do all the elements she's done all season, not let her condition fall from its current state, and do her best. Go Mao!!! Cheering

Off to see the other Japanese ladies!

I will try my best to keep you all updated, but with the practices running from 6:00am to midnight, well, I shall try my best! Sweatdrop

There's something about her in this video... She jut seems so much "lighter", happier than she's looked all season. She looks well rested and confident and that gives me a good feeling for this week. I hope she performs just as she wants to cheers

Thanks for he updates, Batsuchan! It's really nice of you to take the time to post news for us. I hope you have the greatest week of your life!! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
SoMiTripleAxel
Double Axel
Double Axel
SoMiTripleAxel

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 am

Back to top Go down
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
☆Genie

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Can't wait for tomorrow! The skating finally starts Smile.

Thank you BatsuChan!!!

I hope we get too see another report from you today. =)
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:17 pm

SoMiTripleAxel wrote:
A lot of photos here: http://www.daylife.com/search/photos/2/grid?q="figure+skating"

Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Damn, I love this sport! Welcome to officially the best week of the year! Whirly cheers

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. 610x
Back to top Go down
reiko.

reiko.

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
My first day at Worlds!!

Thank you,so much!!! Have a good trip. Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
Oscilla
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Oscilla

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Thank you, Batsuchan, for the lovely reports! flower

Mao, Miki, Nobu - good luck! cheers Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Erika

Erika

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks Batsuchan for your lovely report!

>While the ladies were practicing, Michelle Kwan, Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning were all there watching. Interestingly enough, Brian Orser was sitting and chatting with Kurt. It was kind of funny because the Korean ladies who were sitting behind us were like, "Who's sitting with Brian?" and my Mom, who doesn't know too much about skating, was like "?? Brian who??".

oh... I'm sorry for Kurt...lol
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 1:58 am

Tat is already in LA Sweatdrop Does anyone know, did Mao has practice?
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:00 am

Hello hello, I am exhausted, but I GOT TO SEE MAO ASADA practice!!! Confetti

So yes, Mao landed safely in LA at some point today, and she was there at the ladies' practice tonight! Happy dance

Oh and before I forget - Japan beat Korea in the World Baseball Classic (also in LA) to defend their championship title!! I DEFINITELY take this as a good sign, since Mao said that she was cheering Japan on and inspired by their performance. Go Japan and GO MAO! Cheering

But let's start at the beginning!

My day started with the Japanese ladies' 7:10am practice. As we were heading to the practice rink, we ran into Yu-Na Kim on her way to the practice rink! With Brian Orser and a couple of other people (manager? trainer?). While I was kind of wavering about what to do, my Mom was like, get her autograph!, so I called out to her, but I was all flustered and then my Mom couldn't take a picture on my camera, and oh, it was embarrassing and Yu-Na must've been like, these people are so strange? Yes, it was very nice of Yu-Na to give me an autograph and a picture, but I was definitely intimidated/felt like I was imposing...she doesn't exactly have a friendly air, at least not with her entourage around! Sweatdrop

I have to say, Miki Ando is looking really good. My Mom and I were very impressed. In the evening practice, she was even doing some quads! WOW! She seems to be in really good condition, and she looks very calm.

Yu-Na Kim also looks very good. In the morning practice she was spot-on; if she hurt her shoulder yesterday it didn't bother her at all, and everything looked really easy. In the evening practice she did a run-through of her FS ('Scheherezade'), and she popped a 3Lz and then popped the 2A, which was really bizarre. But the rest of her practice was great. Lots of really nice 3F+3T's.

Men
The Japanese men were on fire!!! In the morning practice we were blown away. Nobu, Mura and Kozu all seemed to be in really good condition. Nobu was landing some quad-triple-triple's (of course, I can't tell if they're UR or not), all their 3A's looked good. Mura, in particular, has a HUGE 3A! WOW!

Fumie was sitting in the audience watching the men. flower

The Canadian men skated after them. Nobuo Sato (Kozu's coach) came back to watch, but I didn't see any of the skaters. Pat-Chan was having trouble with his 3A's in the morning, with a few bad falls.

In the next group, Kevin Van der Perren had some really impressive jumps. Tomas Verner was sort of on and off. I did notice that Carolina Kostner came out to watch them.

The American and Korean men were next. Evan Lysacek was looking really good. Very clean and very prepared. Brandon Mroz was having some problems with his jumps, as was Jeremy Abbott.

A little bit of pairs
With the pairs and the ice dancers, they seem to stop in the middle of their run-through's a lot more. Like the single skaters will leave out their jumps, but they'll mostly go through the choreography. I think every pair/ice dance couple we saw stopped/left out parts of their programs though. Is that normal?

I don't know very much about pair skating at all, but Savchenko and Szolkowy looked very good. They were even in-synch when doing warm-up footwork.

I did really enjoy McLaughlin & Brubaker too.

After that, we headed out for some lunch. First, we went to some diner, but then I decided I didn't want greasy diner food, so we got up and left, and it was a good thing we did, because we ran into Miki Ando and Nobu on the street!!! Faint2 So I got autographs and pictures and was really, really excited. They were really nice and even talked to us a little bit (in English.) That was perhaps the highlight of my day (other than seeing Mao, of course). Very Happy

Ice dance
I also don't know very much about ice dancing, but everything that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir did was really pretty. Some of their lifts were ridiculous! WOW! But they left as soon as their run-through was done (halfway through the practice).

There were several near collisions in the next group with the Russians and the French. A few times the teams actually yelled so that the others would get out of the way.

I was not so impressed with Domnina/Shabalin. They seemed a bit off - are they coming off injuries?

The American teams were all looking great (but I am biased). I was glad to see Ben Agosto healthy, but I was most excited to see Meryl and Charlie, who looked calm and confident.

And so that brings us to..

MAO
Michelle Kwan was watching the practice, so when TAT and Mao walked in, they waved to her. Many Hearts

Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to any of the other ladies' in Mao's practice groups, so I missed Miki Ando's quad attempts.

Of all the ladies I saw (which is not all of them), Mao struck me as being very methodical in her practice. I'm sure the other skaters go through some kind of routine to warm-up, and practice their jumps in a certain order, but with Mao you could really see her practice one move, then the next, then the next, in some kind of set order.

She started just by stroking around the ice, then swizzles front and backwards, then shifting her weight from foot to foot (on both feet). Then edge pulls on alternating feet, then cross rolls, then twizzles in both directions, slowly. Then brackets and rockers (? I think?), etc.

Mao didn't go over to talk to TAT and Shanetta very much, but since I was sitting in the front row, I could see Mao look over at them and see them nod or gesture, and then Mao would move on to the next step in her warm-up.

Then she started to jump. First, a waltz jump, then a single axel, then some double axels, all with the same approach in the same place in the rink. She also practiced the 2A from the outside spread-eagle that she does in her SP. All beautiful and so high!

Then it was time for Mao to do her SP run-through. She didn't do any of the jumps, but her spirals elicited 'wow's' from the crowd, as did her spins. The ladies behind me remarked that Mao really seems to float on the ice. I agree! Many Hearts

After her run-through, Mao practiced a few more jumps - some 3Lo, then a 3T from steps, then the 3F, then 3F+2Lo+2Lo (nice!). She did one 3F+3Lo but didn't have much flow out of it. Hmm. Suspect

Mao then tried the 3Lz - or rather, she did the approach and then stopped. She went back and did it again but then either popped it or purposely just jumped up without rotating (unclear).

Soo, for the most part Mao looked pretty good, but I am very curious to see how her 3Lz and her 3F+3Lo look tomorrow. I also hope she does some 3A's!

After that, I saw Joannie Rochette and Cynthia Phaneuf, who were not there this morning or yesterday. Joannie looked like she was in pretty good shape.

We checked out the evening Japanese men's practice, but Oda was not there. (I did see him watching the ladies' practice, however).

Phew, well I apologize for the random jumble! Tomorrow's Pairs SP ends around midnight, so I might be too tired to write...but we shall see! Sweatdrop

Ganbare Mao-chan! Cheering
Back to top Go down
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
coconut

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:22 am

Thank you so much for the report! Batsuchan! Boogie Love Hearts
You get to see MAO!!! envy you so much! Dance

Mao's picture at her practice!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quack99/3381009633/in/set-72157615747669299/
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 am

You are my hero, Batsuchan!

WOW, you got to see Mao skate! Live! Are you going to try getting her signature sometime during the week? If you get the chance, do tell her that we're 100% behind her here at the forum Smile

It was nice of Yuna to give you her signature and stay for the photo. I myself would have been too scared to approach her Smile I'm a wuss when it comes to strangers, especially if they're famous.

Fingers crossed for gold for Mao!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next