Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are some great movies you've watched recently?

Go down 
+11
Luckyone
Batsuchan
chelseamarie
clovera
inskate
bellarina
klarification
mingming
Star85
chineseteacup
aoi88
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Empty
PostSubject: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:05 pm

The off-season is long, so I decided to start a thread on movies. cat
You can list any movies you've watched recently or just your favorites.

I recently watched a Spanish film called The Spirit of the Beehives or El espíritu de la colmena . It's actually made during the '70s , so it's pretty old. The film is a great portrayal of childhood innocence and imagination. It also stars the cutest child actress I've ever seen. Many Hearts

Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 5:37 am

I re-watched Billy Elliot recently. Even though I'd seen it before, I cried during all of the moving parts again Razz
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Last movie I watched was the runaways. Although the fact that the band made it big SO easily kind of pissed me off (from the time they learned how to play their instruments, got a record deal, started to get famous, and broke up was only about 3 years. That's NOTHING!), the movie was good. Dakota fanning was freakin excellent, as always, and Kristen Stewart actually did a good job too. Sorry if I offend anyone who's a fan of hers, but to me she always seems to play the same character - depressed, bored, and has a hard time expressing any other emotions. This time she played a character that was WAY different. I heard Joan Jett actually made her cry on set because she wasn't happy with how she was playing her. Well she seemed to have it down in the longrun!

If you're a girl, you'll probably like this movie.

Oh, and also, I almost forgot! A couple nights ago I saw this newly released film on tv called Echos of Creation. The best way I can describe it is, you know how in the opening credits for a lot of movies, they have some really pretty cinematography? Well that's what this whole movie is. It has pretty music, and some pretty poetic narration.

The film is so beautiful and relaxing. Oh, and it's not boring at ALL like some films on this order can be. I only caught the last 15 min or so of it, but I already know I want to buy it as soon as it's available!

You can see the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SacredEarthPictures#p/a
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
mingming
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
mingming

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 am

I recently watched Paris 36 (Faubourg 36 in French).
Yes, because it's the original of THE ICE opening songs! Razz
I loved the music throughout the movie, all of them was very beautiful!
And the story also was interesting, I think very French. I love you
The actress who sings the song Mao and Jeff skate together was very cute, I like her!
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 3:13 am

INCEPTION.

This film is about dreams. And the setting of the film... is the architecture of the mind~ Love Hearts

This movie is not just about heroes saving the world. It's a bit more intellectual than that. The film makes us think, makes us question, makes us demand more. Guys, it's the real deal. I highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:02 pm

klarification wrote:
INCEPTION.

This film is about dreams. And the setting of the film... is the architecture of the mind~ Love Hearts

This movie is not just about heroes saving the world. It's a bit more intellectual than that. The film makes us think, makes us question, makes us demand more. Guys, it's the real deal. I highly recommend it.

I've heard so many good things about it. I'm a little scared to watch it because I probably won't be able to understand it (but then again, it seems like that's part of the point?)
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:12 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
I re-watched Billy Elliot recently. Even though I'd seen it before, I cried during all of the moving parts again Razz

I love Billy Elliot! It was such a heartwarming movie. And it also got me to watch Matthew Cooper's Swan Lake (a clip from which can be seen at the end of the movie). I loved it! Swoon

klarification wrote:
INCEPTION.

I watched it 2 days ago! cherry I really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful movie with gorgeous scenery and smart plot. I love it when the movie creators don't assume that the audience consists entirely of brainless people and tries to substitute the plot with flashy effects or silly and forced romance... (Not to be mistaken with well used special effects and well planned romance plot Smile ).

bellarina wrote:
I'm a little scared to watch it because I probably won't be able to understand it (but then again, it seems like that's part of the point?)

I don't think it's that difficult. flower My mother got a bit lost, but I think that was because the Polish translation was a bit rough at times. As I understand English well enough to skip the subtitles, I was able to follow the plot pretty well. I think it's definitely worth watching: beautiful scenery, great effects, great acting. The music was excellent, too: especialy the "Mombasa" track. Very Happy

A movie that greatly disappointed me this year was Iron Man 2. I have a fondness for comic book movies (I grown up reading comics Sweatdrop) and I love when a comic movie is done well. Iron Man 1 was really good... I also bought a novelization of Iron Man 2 before watching the movie and I loved it. The book was quite smart, and touched upon many interesting problems: the hero's lack of social skills and alienation, his attachment to technology, escaping into alcoholism when he can't cope with reality, the importance of friendship, etc. Despite many flaws the hero was still likeable: he was extremely hard-working, determined, and had generally good intentions.

In the movie the main hero was turned into a total lazy narcissistic moron. Sad He seemed to me more of a sleazeball pervert than a genius inventor.

What really annoyed me wa sthe way the women were portrayed. It seemed to me that the motto of the movie is: if you are a man, it's totally fine for you to sleep around and have 97697337465837 one night stands. If you are a woman and are seduced by a man whom you've met recently, you are a slut (even if you are extremely smart and encourage the hero to actually be useful, in contrast to the Virgin one, who's like"Oh no, Tony! You'll die!").
What a woman should do is apparently to wait 15 years, watch the man you love sleeping around, treat the women he sleeps with as "trash", bear with him treating HER like garbage, and then, after 15 years when he saves her from random danger just let herself be swep away in his manly arms. It's TRUE LOVE then! (Seems more like Stockholm Syndrome to me...)
Rolling Eyes Lips sealed Very Mad

And they totally ignored Jarvis, my favorite character. He was fabulous in the novel. I love you

Sorry for the rant. I had to let it out, I feel much better now. Laugh

Back to top Go down
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 5:26 pm

inskate wrote:

What really annoyed me wa sthe way the women were portrayed. It seemed to me that the motto of the movie is: if you are a man, it's totally fine for you to sleep around and have 97697337465837 one night stands. If you are a woman and are seduced by a man whom you've met recently, you are a slut (even if you are extremely smart and encourage the hero to actually be useful, in contrast to the Virgin one, who's like"Oh no, Tony! You'll die!").
What a woman should do is apparently to wait 15 years, watch the man you love sleeping around, treat the women he sleeps with as "trash", bear with him treating HER like garbage, and then, after 15 years when he saves her from random danger just let herself be swep away in his manly arms. It's TRUE LOVE then! (Seems more like Stockholm Syndrome to me...)
Rolling Eyes Lips sealed Very Mad
lol! cheers I love this. I totally agree, it's a complete double standard, and it's so sad that it happens in many, many movies and TV shows. LOL at Stockholm Syndrome- I've never thought about it that way but it makes sense.

I want to recommend Slumdog Millionaire. I love the movie because I think it's spectacular in almost every area: the cinematography, writing, soundtrack, editing, etc. I saw this on another forum but it's so well said I'm just going to quote it: "In a year in which just about all of the supposed 'sure-fire Oscar winners' were being touted as incredible pieces of work, they all forgot to let the audience feel anything. Sometimes, it's nice to sit down and actually be moved by a motion picture. The last several years have featured films that fill you with dread and despair as the award winners. Slumdog is full of hope, and full of life. That's why it wins."

A fun movie I'd recommend is Star Trek (the most recent one). It was made to make both fans of the original happy and to bring in new viewers. I like it because it's exciting (to cater to a more general audience) with its action but its character driven too. I was never a "Trekkie" before and didn't know much about it; I only saw the movie because my friends wanted to see it, but I loved it so much it became one of my favorite movies, and made me kind of obsessed with the Star Trek world for a little bit there. Laugh
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 pm

bellarina wrote:

I've heard so many good things about it. I'm a little scared to watch it because I probably won't be able to understand it (but then again, it seems like that's part of the point?)

The movie is quite confusing, especially at the start. I wondered if I would get it too in the beginning. But as the plot begins to unfold, I think you'll slowly understand the story too, because that's what happened to me. By the end of the movie, it's all explosion and fireworks. Definitely amazing! Although the ending is quite ambiguous, but meh. Still a great film!

inskate wrote:

A movie that greatly disappointed me this year was Iron Man 2.

Really My friends saw it and they told me how much they loved it. scratch

I guess they were just looking at the special effects? You did mention how much of a comic book fan you are, and I guess that added to the disappointment factor. I felt the same way when Harry Potter came out. There were so many things that they had to change just to fit into the movie!

I guess I'll have to watch Iron Man and Iron Man 2 someday (hopefullly) to give my judgment.

bellarina wrote:

I want to recommend Slumdog Millionaire. I love the movie because I think it's spectacular in almost every area: the cinematography, writing, soundtrack, editing, etc

YES! I love you for mentioning that movie!

It was a fun ride, and it was a different kind of rags-to-riches story. It was amazing how his life experiences neatly tied up in the end, especially when he was in that "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" game. All the answers were something significant in his life. I love it. And I loved the whole "Bollywood" inspired ending.

There's this movie that I really loved and I luckily saw it again on cable a few days ago. The title is "Ever After" and it stars Drew Barrymore. Here is a plot summary I took from the net:

"Andy Tennant's film "Ever After" tells the "real" story of Cinderella. In this film version, Cinderella is Danielle De Barbarac. Our heroine does have a wicked stepmother and stepsisters, but in no way is she in need of rescuing. Contrary to other adaptations of Cinderella, Danielle rescues herself from her horrible family and the prince from gypsies. With help from her fairy godmother Leonardo da Vinci, Danielle overcomes hardship, marries prince charming, and lives happily ever after. "

I like the fairytale twist and the feminist undertones in this story. I think this is a must-watch!

Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 pm

klarification wrote:
INCEPTION.

THIS. cheers

You can't believe how glad I was to see a summer blockbuster that actually had a great screenplay. That, and it's always nice to see top-notch acting, too. Yep!

klarification wrote:
I guess they were just looking at the special effects? You did mention how much of a comic book fan you are, and I guess that added to the disappointment factor. I felt the same way when Harry Potter came out. There were so many things that they had to change just to fit into the movie!
I thought Chris Columbus did a commendable job with the first two, and despite the changes, PoA still remain my absolute favorite out of the HP films (which clearly has to do with Alfonso Cuarón's directing and the general cinematography). I can't say the same for GoF and OotP though, and it wasn't just the cut-down content that made it rather bleh for me... No
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I just saw Kick Ass yesterday. It was actually pretty good, and a lot better than I thought it would be. I really didn't know what kind of movie this was before I saw it (cheesy comedy, weird satire, action, guy movie, etc.). It's actually a really well balanced movie. Lot's of drama, action, and the right amount of comedy, and twists.

It's about this nerdy teenager who loves comics, and decides that he would like to dress up as a super hero, and go out and fight crime. Well, when he goes out looking for trouble, he finds it. He also meets a couple of real superheros in the process.

Also, the cute little girl in the movie kicks every ones butt. lol.
Back to top Go down
chelseamarie

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 11:08 pm

i rewatched Fly Away Home, its a classic for me.
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:04 pm

I know this thread is about movies you've watched recently but I can't help posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs

It's called Black Swan, and it stars Natalie Portman Cloud 9

Here's the storyline: Nina (Portman) is a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her obsessive former ballerina mother Erica (Hershey) who exerts a suffocating control over her. When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily (Kunis), who impresses Leroy as well. Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side - a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.

I think this will be an interesting movie and I would definitely watch it when it comes out!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am

I've been following "Black Swan" pretty closely because the choreographer, Benjamin Millepied, is a dancer at New York City Ballet. He choreographed a piece for American Ballet Theatre last year, so I saw Natalie Portman at the opening night performance since they're dating.

The movie just premiered at the Venice International Film Festival, and it got a lot of great reviews, so I am very curious to see it too. Very Happy But I have a feeling that it won't really reflect well on ballet--it will just perpetuate the stereotype that the ballet world is cutthroat and brutal. Rolling Eyes And sadly, the two very talented ABT ballerinas who actually do the dancing probably won't get any credit at all. Very Mad

Currently, I've been watching a whole bunch of Audrey Hepburn movies since I just recently found out that she was a ballerina before she became an actress! How did I not know that?! Sweatdrop Funny Face, Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina--I've loved them all! flower Highly recommended!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 4:54 pm

I watched The Holiday again a few days ago. I forgot how good this movie is! It's kind of on the order of Love Actually, and almost as good, but not quite (Love Actually is one of my top favorites of all time!). It's not cheesy or very predictable, like many romantic comedies. It's just one of those movies that was done so right, and it makes me happy every time I watch it!
Back to top Go down
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel
Luckyone

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I absolutely LOVE a japanese movie called "Ten promises to my dog" its a must seen and its one of my favourite movies, its very sad, i think in youtube there is a subtitled version in english and in spanish Smile for those who want to see it its amazing.
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 am

For those who loved Inception, I recommend Paprika. The premises of the two films are similar, except that Paprika is an animated film. In some ways, Paprika is more lighthearted but it is also stranger and creepier. It remains an endearing film to me more so because I recently learned that Satoshi Kon, the director of Paprika, passed away from cancer. Depressed Crying He has only directed four animated films but all of his works are so unique and intriguing. He's a director worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 3:59 pm

I watched Splice last night. When I saw the trailers, it looked like some really graphic horror movie, but it really wasn't like that. It was more scifi, and it wasn't really that scary. It was more interesting than anything. Good story, good twists, and good acting. If you like scifi, you'll probably like this one.
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 am

HARRY POTTER SEVEN PART ONE

What an amazing movie. To see it ending soon broke my heart because in a way, it's almost like I'm leaving the "child me" behind. Sad
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:56 am

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
i♥MAO

i♥MAO

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 6:54 am

Star85 wrote:
I watched Splice last night. When I saw the trailers, it looked like some really graphic horror movie, but it really wasn't like that. It was more scifi, and it wasn't really that scary. It was more interesting than anything. Good story, good twists, and good acting. If you like scifi, you'll probably like this one.

i've also seen the movie just three days ago, and i find it pretty interesting, the splice thing is creepy though pale

btw, for me the most amazing movie that i've seen just recently is HACHIKO: A Dog's tale. it's a true to life story about the loyalty of an Akita dog to it's deceased master that i'm sure every Japanese friends of ours in this forum know. i'm an animal lover that's why this movie made me Bawling .
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 am

klarification wrote:
INCEPTION.

I recommend it too! I love this movie flower
Back to top Go down
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:26 am

I'm seeing Harry Potter on Friday! So excited! Very Happy

klarification, I know exactly what you mean. I've been re-reading the whole series because I don't want to come to terms with the fact that it's the end of an era. I'm actually loving the books even more this time around and I'm appreciating new things about them that I didn't see before now that I'm older. I guess that's one benefit of getting older than the series? But I think we've always have the books and the movies to re-read or re-watch so even though we may get older, we can always experience the magic of the Harry Potter world whenever we want. Smile
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 5:46 pm

I saw Harry Potter last weekend. As with all the other HP movies, it did not disappoint! I don't remember the book word for word, but it wasn't very long ago that it came out I think, so I remember it pretty well. The movie was VERY close to the book from what I can remember. The closest of any HP movie so far. Hardly anything was left out. I remember being mad when they didn't include Griffendor winning the quiddich cup in HP 5 (or it may have been 6... don't remember), and when they didn't include anything about the St. Mungos hospital when Ron's dad got bit by the snake (also in 5 I think). I'm glad they decided to make the movie in two parts, so they were able to leave in as much stuff as possible.

Anyone going to see Black Swan? I know we have some ballet fans in here. I'm feeling really intrigued by it. Plus I really like the cast. I may just have to see it...
Back to top Go down
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm

I saw (500) Days of Summer recently and really liked it. The cinematography was amazing, and I liked the feel of it - it was like a combination of an indie film and a romantic comedy. Plus it starred Joseph Gordon-Levitt (I've adored him since 10 Things I Hate About You!) I also liked that it had an optimistic ending - I thought it would end cynically but it didn't at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are some great movies you've watched recently?    What are some great movies you've watched recently?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are some great movies you've watched recently?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next