Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to spot deductions - great article

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

How to spot deductions - great article Empty
PostSubject: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey guys, I just came across this article that talks about, and illustrates how to spot deductions on jumps. I have finally gotten pretty good at spotting UR's on landings, but I don't really know how to spot the other things yet. After going over this a few times, I feel like I will be able to spot the other types of deductions better now too. The article came out almost a year ago, so it says an UR on a landing is if the foot lands more than a quarter turn short of the jump's full rotation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just recently change that to a half turn?

Anyway, the article is still very informative. It also has statistics on jump deductions (going back 4 seasons) on several individual skaters, including Mao. They are not current any more, but still give you a good idea... Looks like Joannie has got the least deductions overall according to this... that seems right.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/23/sports/olympics/0223-downgrade.html#tab=0
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 am

Star85 wrote:
Hey guys, I just came across this article that talks about, and illustrates how to spot deductions on jumps. I have finally gotten pretty good at spotting UR's on landings, but I don't really know how to spot the other things yet. After going over this a few times, I feel like I will be able to spot the other types of deductions better now too. The article came out almost a year ago, so it says an UR on a landing is if the foot lands more than a quarter turn short of the jump's full rotation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just recently change that to a half turn?

Anyway, the article is still very informative. It also has statistics on jump deductions (going back 4 seasons) on several individual skaters, including Mao. They are not current any more, but still give you a good idea... Looks like Joannie has got the least deductions overall according to this... that seems right.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/23/sports/olympics/0223-downgrade.html#tab=0

I still don't get the downgrades on the triple axel. I can spot it with other jumps, except those in combinations because I can't seem to do really well on the second jump following the first jump, but if it's a solo jump, I can spot it better than the triple axel. I need help with the axel. (sigh) I just don't get where the rotation starts and where it is supposed to end.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 am

rotation starts when you stop touching the ice with a blade, and it ends when the blade starts touching the ice after jump.
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

europeanfan wrote:
rotation starts when you stop touching the ice with a blade, and it ends when the blade starts touching the ice after jump.

You know how Mao does the triple axel at around 0:40 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SENHYmIWw

The 0:44 is where the rotation starts using the left foot, right? Then it ends around 0:46, meaning it is fully rotated?
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 am

Unfortunately I can't watch this video in my country Sad
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm

europeanfan wrote:
Unfortunately I can't watch this video in my country Sad

Aw!!!! Okay! Thank you anyway!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to spot deductions - great article   How to spot deductions - great article Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to spot deductions - great article
Page 1 of 1