Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread

Go down 
+71
inspiration*
sapphiresky
shar
Cloviece
dlnnyc
kaarolcia
Canness
gurami
ElleluvsL
mash5
Hitomi
swan
kitty
Hotaru
coolmeia
apple4me
andrey_69
ericacsy
Mirai
Aibhlin
chineseteacup
illani
dawnsherearequiet
iceskatingfan
polly10
josling
Okami
roma
tianrushui
ddmm
Jtsmith1
Star85
Luckyone
bibi
☆Genie
PochinkoPotanko
Dani-Chan
snowdrops24
jkblues
klarification
periperi
Afsfan
i♥MAO
europeanfan
Alokya
Artistry
maowataiyo
polosatik
linglang
Lelya
chiyori
clovera
SAKURA
dangerous_angel_face
KariDebate
timdanlo
babayaga
aoi88
Ken Himura
bellarina
Lady_in_black
MikiAndoFan#1
MaoChan756
BowbowDaijin
Haidogirl
hazelq
Mao_Asada_sunrise
kawaiimao
maofan93
alyssa
ballerinamao
75 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
babayaga
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
babayaga

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks linglang and maowataiyo! Even though you got most of it covered, there is a full version on kumaneko site:
http://kumaneko037.blog103.fc2.com/

Mao sounds so relaxed and happy. I somehow even feel not so nervous anymore - she sounds like she is doing great and I get a feeling that she will continue to improve regardless of the result of the particular competition.
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:41 am

I hope the Japanese earthquake/tsunami didn't severely affect Mao, Taka, or any of the other Japanese skaters, and I hope it doesn't severely impact the planning of the world championships.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:51 am

I hope it too but it doesn't look good on TV Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:59 am

I hope everyone on this forum and skaters who live in and near the affected areas is fine. TV news just aired Sendai port and airport being hit by tsunami ... it's home town of Japanese figure skaters, Shizuka and Yuzuru ... I just hope people made it to safe place. It's really sad and heartbreaking ...
Back to top Go down
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Haidogirl

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:31 am

I think Shizuka has a home in Tokyo, but not sure about this!

I really hope they wont cancel the Worlds now pale
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 am

Haidogirl wrote:

Tokyo was pretty far off from the epicenter(s), so I'm sure things will be OK at least over there. Someone on the Japanese boards confirmed that Yuzuru (and the entire student population + faculty over at Tohoku High School in Sendai) have been evacuated with no serious injuries as well. Yep!
Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:14 am

clovera wrote:
Haidogirl wrote:

Tokyo was pretty far off from the epicenter(s), so I'm sure things will be OK at least over there. Someone on the Japanese boards confirmed that Yuzuru (and the entire student population + faculty over at Tohoku High School in Sendai) have been evacuated with no serious injuries as well. Yep!

So Yuzu is safe? Sweatdrop
I know it's terrible to think of only a few people in such a tragedy, but we always end up becoming a bit indiferent for those we don't know. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
i♥MAO

i♥MAO

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:34 am

Quote :

Japan Quake - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2011 Situation
11 Mar 2011 10:32

March 11, 2011 - 10:15 GMT

The ISU is in close contact with the Japanese Skating Federation (JSF). Based on a first on-site assessment by the JSF we have been informed that the Yoyogi stadium remains in order and the JSF advised that everything will be ready to hold the Championships as foreseen. We will of course continue to monitor the situation closely in cooperation with the JSF and inform of any developments.

Source: ISU Official Site

I hope that ISU and JSF study the situation very well, but I'm pretty sure that everything will be fine in two weeks time.
Back to top Go down
Afsfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 am

clovera wrote:
Haidogirl wrote:

I'm relieved to hear that. Hope we could say the same thing for all Japanese people.
Back to top Go down
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel
periperi

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 pm

They are going to go on with Worlds? I have been looking forward to this competition, but will Japan really be in the right state to host a figure skating event (considering how popular it is over there) in just nine days?
Back to top Go down
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Afsfan wrote:
clovera wrote:
Haidogirl wrote:

I'm relieved to hear that. Hope we could say the same thing for all Japanese people.

Tweet from Shizuka - "Thank you for your concern. I'm okay for now, and also my family, doggies, and home will be safe."
Shocking images are still pouring in! :s
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 3:19 pm

periperi wrote:
They are going to go on with Worlds? I have been looking forward to this competition, but will Japan really be in the right state to host a figure skating event (considering how popular it is over there) in just nine days?

In my opinion, it is much better to ascertain the safety of the people in Japan. As much as it pains me to say this, a figure skating competition in the midst of this tragedy is relatively unimportant right now, especially when you consider the amount of damages lost and the number of people who are still missing. Japan is a country which seems to deal with earthquakes really well when compared to other countries, but we shouldn't be too selfish even with this knowledge. We all want to see Mao compete, but the most important thing right now is making sure that Japan can get back to her feet right away.

BYW, I saw this Worlds commerical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQqFd4g4g8
Back to top Go down
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel
periperi

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

klarification wrote:
periperi wrote:

In my opinion, it is much better to ascertain the safety of the people in Japan. As much as it pains me to say this, a figure skating competition in the midst of this tragedy is relatively unimportant right now, especially when you consider the amount of damages lost and the number of people who are still missing. Japan is a country which seems to deal with earthquakes really well when compared to other countries, but we shouldn't be too selfish even with this knowledge. We all want to see Mao compete, but the most important thing right now is making sure that Japan can get back to her feet right away.

BYW, I saw this Worlds commerical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQqFd4g4g8

Yeah I saw that commercial on TV. Also, I think you're right, and I was honestly surprised when the announcement was made that they weren't even going to postpone the competition. There will be a lot of emotional wounds that will need time to heal before many in Japan have the heart to sit down and watch a figure skating competition. I heard from someone that Worlds should be postponed until April in place of the ISU World Team Trophy. That's about a month from now. I think it could be a good alternative.
Back to top Go down
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
jkblues

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm

yes i think too,the best thing they could do is to pospone it a month or so. Because, maybe competition is ok, but for example the exibition would be ackward, because i think is not time for exibitions. And Japanese skaters wouldn´t feel good.

and maybe the public is not ready to watch a competition.
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 5:32 pm

I agree with all of you everyone. Plus, would Mao have it in her heart to seriously compete while her country just faced a devastating tragedy? I think she'll be quite shaken up at the very least.
Back to top Go down
maowataiyo
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
maowataiyo

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:40 pm

I finally got hold of some of my friends. I'm so relieved that they are okay. It's so tragic many people lost loved ones. I agree with everybody- safety and compassion should be top priority.
Back to top Go down
BowbowDaijin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
BowbowDaijin

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Really scared yesterday in Tokyo but still better than Miyagi, Iwate by far.
Earthquake, tsunami, town in fire, mud flood are all disasters happened
yesterday. First, my friend joked whether Godzilla appear or not but it was
just a while. When news of loss and death broadcasted all over the world,
we cannot joke anymore. It is too serious.

But Japan can change place from Tokyo to Nagoya or else. Now there is
earthquake at Nakano too. So as Japanese standard, they have to check
and check for rink and arena's safety.
Back to top Go down
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
snowdrops24

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 am

Hope that all posters who are in Japan/ have friends/relatives in Japan are safe!! Words probably cannot offer the best comfort but please do know that you are not alone. My prayers are with you.

Am very relieved to finally get in touch with a friend from Sendai and to hear that they are okay for now.

In the midst of crisis, you see the true nature of people. I am deeply moved me to see how orderly and self-restraint the Japanese are in the face of the confusion and destruction brought by tsunami and earthquake. Everything they've invested to prepare the country for something like this, seemed to be paying off - so far. It amazes me to see the number of casualties remaining relatively low for a disaster of such magnitude.
Back to top Go down
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:31 am

I agree with snowdrops24 about how impressive Japanese are handling this situation!
I've been reading so many tweets praising the building code in Japan which protected so many lives...

Frankly - if you ask me - the world champ should be postponed!
I know - skaters have been physically and mentally prepared for the competition!
But what is happening right now in there is bigger than anything OR anyone - even FS!
Plus - If something like this happened in my own country - maybe as an athlete - I would not have the heart to skate through it...:s
Mao - Kanako - Miki - Dai - Yuzuru - Taka - are all top notch skaters -
Making em go through this competition while the country has suffered would simply be excruciating!
Hell - Even other skaters would feel weird skating - (not bringing in further unresolved security issues for them! :s)
[GAAAAAH Yuna's tribute to Korea while Japan would be in grief -_ I can sense my pro-jap-yunahating friends bitching about this] silent

A postpone would be a tribute to those who suffered loss! Sad
Back to top Go down
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
klarification

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:47 am

MaoChan756 wrote:

[GAAAAAH Yuna's tribute to Korea while Japan would be in grief -_ I can sense my pro-jap-yunahating friends bitching about this] silent(

I see nothing wrong with Yuna skating to Homage to Korea, it's just that the circumstances would point to her being 'insensitive' IF she skates this at Worlds. I'm emphasizing IF here because I think that Worlds need to be postponed. Yep, Sadly
Back to top Go down
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
MaoChan756

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 am

klarification wrote:
MaoChan756 wrote:

[GAAAAAH Yuna's tribute to Korea while Japan would be in grief -_ I can sense my pro-jap-yunahating friends bitching about this] silent(

I see nothing wrong with Yuna skating to Homage to Korea, it's just that the circumstances would point to her being 'insensitive' IF she skates this at Worlds. I'm emphasizing IF here because I think that Worlds need to be postponed. Yep, Sadly

Me either -
But then again - as you pointed out - damn circumstances all go against her major comeback!
This moment of pain and chaos is overshadowing whatever is/will happen at the worlds -_
I have been so eager to watch her pro -
But now - I hope that ISU postpones the competition...

And yes - I've been to some YNK mad-fans forums! (sorry couldn't help it Sad)
Now - if Miki wins...."the sympathy of judges with Japanese skaters"...
AND I do not want that to happen!!

Neithr bashing Yuna on her pros - nor treating jap skaters as trampling over the pain of their own to succeed! :s
Back to top Go down
Dani-Chan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
Dani-Chan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:45 am

Like a Star @ heaven In this article, Yuka Sato talked about her father and her mother and what they were doing while the earthquake happened:
http://www.freep.com/article/20110311/SPORTS17/110311017/Detroit-Skating-Club-coach-Sato-Parents-safe-Japan
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:13 am

I think it should be postponed and relocated to another place. Japan has much more important things to deal with at present.
Back to top Go down
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
maofan93

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 am

aoi88 wrote:

I think it should be postponed and relocated to another place. Japan has much more important things to deal with at present.

I agree completely. Maybe Japan can switch with France who will be holding Worlds next year?
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 am

I guess I'll post here instead of the general quake thread over at the General Chat section, since it has to do with whether Worlds will even come into fruition.

This is currently an unpopular opinion - well, there's both sides debating this to the bone over at other forums but its an unpopular opinion over here at least - and will not be met with cheers from many, but barring further disaster (the idea of which is horrible to begin with and I hope will really not happen with the gravity of the situation already at hand) I find it really unlikely that the Tokyo Worlds will actually be canceled. Postponed, maybe, but not canceled. The only other possibility I can think of is some kind of mass withdrawal from the skaters themselves or limited transportation methods that will prevent the skaters from getting to the venue. Exclamation

For better or for worse, Tokyo has remained relatively unscathed and Yoyogi Stadium remains undamaged; numerous top skaters are already in Japan too. At least one local competition have in fact taken place as scheduled - the Aichi Championships. Kanako and Miyabi participated in the SP today and leading in their respective division (senior and junior ladies). We're obviously worried about the state of the skaters, especially team Japan but do we really know about their intentions and mindset regarding Worlds? It ultimately is up to the skaters and their coaches (and the federations) if they want to compete and if they choose to do so, I really can't criticize them for it. The Shibs have stated their intention to compete under the premise that the situation starts looking up and there's surely other skaters who feel the same way.
This is from the thread over at the General Chat section, but I hope linglang won't mind me quoting and replying to it here. Sweatdrop

linglang wrote:
ETA: Why I was upset about the Aichi figure skating championship is that sport competition is a celebration to me. It's a way of celebrating human beings great athletic ability. So, holding a celebration while knowing there is a great tragedy in your own country is insane to me.
This is very true, but at the same time a sporting competition can also bring people together and raise awareness for a greater cause. Worlds *can* (not saying it necessarily will) be tied in with relief efforts. It's certainly not impossible and it can be done in a prudent, respectful manner.

And well, sporting events shouldn't just be the ones being weeded out IMO. School, work...the majority of people who aren't directly involved in disasters of any kind simply go on with their lives. This is just an avoidable part of life as 9/11, the Indonesian tsunamis, Hurrican Katrina, and countless other tragedies have taken place; not everyone will donate or volunteer during times of need if at all. Is it really fair to say that holding Worlds is being intrinsically insensitive? We all pray and send condolences, but is that actually doing something for the victims and those affected by the quake and the secondary disasters it triggered? I just don't think having the right thoughts are enough to claim higher moral ground against the ISU and the JSF should Worlds go on as scheduled (which is still a big if to begin with).

In any case, I just hope that regardless of what happens, it's after things have been thoroughly considered and not hastily put together. Not the best food for thought, I know, and this is all coming across as convoluted and not well reasoned but I just wanted to throw this out there. Ack. silent

ETA: As stated above, please take this post as food for thought - no more, no less. My personal opinion is that for now, it's better to not come to a conclusion of any kind, wait, and then depending on how things look...announce a postponement for Worlds accordingly. The JSF and ISU do not have this luxury however - further announcement will have to be made in the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread
Page 3 of 38Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next