Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...

Go down 
+2
aoi88
kawaiimao
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Empty
PostSubject: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 am

As we all very well know, our Mao has always been more interested in making history than simply winning competitions.
For this reason I was thinking it might be nice to make a compilation of all her firsts in a special thread.

I'll start with just a few ones that I can remember at this very moment from the top of my head.
Feel free to correct me, if I got something wrong and please help me complete the list Wink

...land a triple axel at an international competition on the junior circuit (including the Junior Worlds)
...land a triple axel out of brackets
...land three triple axels in a single competition (not sure if she's also the first to land two in one free skate)

...your turn! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

Great thread cheers

Yay, she's the also the first woman to land two triple axels in one program. (2008 GPF)

I'm not sure about this but is she the only woman who tried one 3A and two triple-triple combos in one program? I'm not sure if Midori tried it first (feel free to correct me).

Also not sure if Mao was the first to do the one-handed beillman/cross-grab beillmann. They are both known as her signature moves.
Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:47 am

kawaiimao wrote:

...land three triple axels in a single competition (not sure if she's also the first to land two in one free skate)

Yes, she is! (For the first time - at GPF 2008)

She's also the first lady to get one 3A and two 3-3s ratified in the same program (GPF 2007).

As far as I know, she's the first one to do the compact donut position (I hope she'll include it in her programs again some day!). She was the first lady skater to achieve lvl4 on circular step sequence (Claire de Lune at WTT 2009).

...And:

- the first lady to do a 3A-2T(Tano) combination,
- the first lady to win 2 World titles since Michelle Kwan,
- the first Asian lady to win two World titles.

ETA: aoi88 was faster than me. Drama! Laugh
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:00 am

Okami wrote:

She's also the first lady to get one 3A and two 3-3s ratified in the same program (GPF 2007).

Thanks for confirming this! cheers This is the most epic layout by a female skater. Rockstar

ETA: Okay, did some research and found that Cecilia Colledge is credited as the first one to do a one-handed beillman move back in 1937.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biellmann_spin
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 am

aoi88 wrote:
Oh Okami, do you also know if Mao was the first one to do an one-handed beillmann spin in competition?
I faintly recall seeing them from Irina but it wasn't intentional and happened due to one arm slipping out of the blade. This happened to Mirai a few times too. I don't think this really counts as a one-handed Biellmann though.

Does anyone know when Mira Leung began doing hers? She's probably Mao's only contemporary as far as that particular position goes but I can't remember who performed it in competition first. Sweatdrop

ETA: Nevermind, aoi88 found the answer! Razz
Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 am

aoi88 wrote:
ETA: Okay, did some research and found that Cecilia Colledge is credited as the first one to do a one-handed beillman move back in 1937.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biellmann_spin

Cecilia's spin was more of a half-Biellman, you can see it in this wonderful montage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLVM-Hjzwc&NR=1
That said, she truly was an innovative skater for her days. :love:

Mao and Mira were the first to intentionally do the full Biellman spin (and not by accident as clovera mentioned). If I'm not mistaken, Mao was the first by a margin: she debuted the spin in her EX "Over the Rainbow" at Japanese International Challenge (2005.10.1), while Mira - at Skate America which took place from October 20 through 23.
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am

... land 3-3-3 combination

... do 3A instead of 2A in SP

And she's first asian woman to get level 4 for step sequence
Wink
Back to top Go down
josling
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
josling

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 am

europeanfan wrote:

Wink

Sorry but could you say in which competition she got a level 4?! I forgot it... Sweatdrop

Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 am

josling wrote:
europeanfan wrote:

Wink

Sorry but could you say in which competition she got a level 4?! I forgot it... Sweatdrop

As I mentioned above, it was the SP at World Team Trophy 2009 ("Claire de Lune", choreo by Lori Nichol).
She also got lvl4 at the USA vs Japan event in 2007 (SP, "Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra"), but that was a cheesefest, so the scores don't officially count. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
kawaiimao

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks for all your contributions!

I was also thinking about the one-handed biellman but remembered some discussion about it having been done before, thanks for clarifying.

Then about the level 4 footwork, I heard that Carolina Kostner also got it at some competition but I have no idea when that was.

Now, let's hope Mao can add the first 8 triple program performed by a lady to that list as well! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 am

kawaiimao wrote:

Then about the level 4 footwork, I heard that Carolina Kostner also got it at some competition but I have no idea when that was.
NHK 2007 LP:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn07/gpjpn07_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf
For the straight-line step sequence. Smile
Back to top Go down
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
europeanfan

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Okami wrote:
josling wrote:
europeanfan wrote:

Wink

As I mentioned above, it was the SP at World Team Trophy 2009 ("Claire de Lune", choreo by Lori Nichol).
She also got lvl4 at the USA vs Japan event in 2007 (SP, "Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra"), but that was a cheesefest, so the scores don't officially count. Sweatdrop

I dismissed you wrote it before Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao is the first ladies skater ever to...   Mao is the first ladies skater ever to... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1