Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!

Go down 
+37
mimmiz
Tripleaxelqueen
PochinkoPotanko
symbolicsmile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
minhoudi
whiteboots2013
BowbowDaijin
kitty
europeanfan
sweetdream
l-spiralmao
kisses
AmazingGraceMao
Iceriver
Abdiel
kawaiimao
chapis
FigureArtist14
let`s talk
ilovethai
silenceisgolden
inskate
ElleluvsL
pearlyriver
zarinaballerina
sapphiresky
Ken Himura
Czarace
Haidogirl
shar
Dani-Chan
aoi88
roma
ballerinamao
COHK
linglang
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm

linglang wrote:
shar wrote:
I found this news on GS about Mao:

"According to Nikkan Sports, Asada's camp recently decided not to leave for Sochi in mid-January. It was said that Asada would train in Japan until early February. "

If this is true, i think this is a smart move for Mao, especially if it means she won't compete in the team event. Giving her more time to perfect her performances for the single events, which is where she should be shining.

I think this is the article that the poster referred to. http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140108-00000007-nksports-spo

According to it, Mao will go to Sochi at the beginning of Feb because her chance of skating for Team Event is high. There was a possibility for her to train in Moscow, at a rink which TAT uses for training. But Mao and Mr. Sato decided to stay and train at Chukyo, her base rink. She will leave Sochi after Team Event for Moscow or Armenia or other countries in Europe, which hasn't decided yet.

I don't know if it's good for her to take part in Team Event or not.  It will be a good practice for her but she may have fatigue.  Also if she UR her 3A there, the callers may become more tough on her 3A later.  It seems from what we saw at the Vancouver, the callers are not as strict as they are at other international competitions though.

Thanks to linglang for all the translation work and explanation!  cheers 
To add to further clarification: I think the media confusions came from this -- it has to do with the ISU changing the rules for countries participating in team event to announce their listed competitors. It seems now the ISU requires the participating countries can only announce the list up until a certain time (such as prior to the team event). As result, JSF had to withdraw their selection rules which were announced long time ago. Since there's no rule to follow, the Jpn media has to change the wording and says it's not for sure if Mao will participate. But there's no reason that JSF won't be picking Mao to represent Japan in team event...

I'm the same as linglang, not sure if it's good for her to skate in team event or not. It will be a good chance to practice for just once before the individual event. But the question is to skate SP or FS.
Back to top Go down
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ilovethai

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Just thought I'd share this awesome video with you guys.

It's an English-language (YAYYY) documentary of Shizuka Arakawa's win at the 2006 Olympics.

What really struck me was 2 things she said about her experience winning the Olympic Gold Medal:

1) Pressure is not something that others put on you. It's only something that you alone can put on yourself.

2) The important thing for [Shizuka] was to do her best and NOT think about winning a medal. All she wanted to do was to skate a performance she could be proud of.

I think this is gonna be KEY for Mao. She'll be co-favorite for that Olympic Gold but she has to let go of ALL expectations and skate like she has nothing to lose (even though she does have a lot to lose).

At the end.. Shizuka was right. Irina and Sasha crumbled under the pressure of wanting to win that Olympic Gold.
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Mao's ひな人形!
Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 BdfbvRICAAAJfUg
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 pm

linglang wrote:

Midori was under a tremendous amount of pressure to win OGM for Japan in 1992.  As far as I remember (and I was young so I may not remember it correctly), the media kept saying her chance of winning OGM was so high and people's expectation were increasing.  Also the media kept saying she had to win technically because artistically she's not as good as Yamaguchi. We came to learn that her condition had been getting worse and she had been struggling with 3A in practice when we actually saw her struggling in warm-up and fell on her 3lz in SP.  People thought she would finish off the podium when she fell on her 3A in FS.  But, she didn't give up. She attempted 3A in place of 3lz after the fall on her first attempt.  And she nailed a huge, gorgeous 3A in the second half! It was really a great moment to witness.

Because of this experience, JSF started Nobeyama camp where young potential skaters are collected for training and assessment.  They realized that investing in only one skater wouldn't work and the pressure Midori was exposed to was really too much.

So Midori was the one who paved the way for younger skaters in Japan? Before her, FS in Japan is not so popular, I guess? The FS situation in Japan around that time was like Korea now, when they only invested in one promising skater and neglected other younger promising ones?
Oh, I forgot to thank you for taking your precious time to translate the whole interview  Thumbs up! 
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 pm

ilovethai wrote:

It's an English-language (YAYYY) documentary of Shizuka Arakawa's win at the 2006 Olympics.

What really struck me was 2 things she said about her experience winning the Olympic Gold Medal:

1) Pressure is not something that others put on you. It's only something that you alone can put on yourself.

2) The important thing for [Shizuka] was to do her best and NOT think about winning a medal. All she wanted to do was to skate a performance she could be proud of.

I think this is gonna be KEY for Mao. She'll be co-favorite for that Olympic Gold but she has to let go of ALL expectations and skate like she has nothing to lose (even though she does have a lot to lose).

At the end.. Shizuka was right. Irina and Sasha crumbled under the pressure of wanting to win that Olympic Gold.

Was Shizuka actually under as much pressure as Midori and Mao were during the Olympics? Shizuka wasn't a gold favorite at that time and she had a bad season before so the press probably didn't expect her to win OGM and didn't follow her crazily.
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am

pearlyriver wrote:
So Midori was the one who paved the way for younger skaters in Japan? Before her, FS in Japan is not so popular, I guess? The FS situation in Japan around that time was like Korea now, when they only invested in one promising skater and neglected other younger promising ones?
Oh, I forgot to thank you for taking your precious time to translate the whole interview  Thumbs up! 

According to Mrs. Yamada, back in the time when she started to teach Midori, the center of the FS world in Japan was in Tokyo.  Skaters and coaches based in other parts of Japan, including Nagoya, were considered inferior than those based in Tokyo. When people heard about Midori, they thought she was a good skater for a rural part of Japan, not for the level of Tokyo. But, when they actually saw her skate, they were blown away and started to say that she should be moved to Tokyo. If she continued to train in a rural city Nagoya, her talent would be wasted.  Laughing 

I suppose it was kind of they ignored or they didn't bother to pay attention beyond their own territory. Actually there were young skaters, Yuka Sato and Jyunko Yaginuma, who competed with Midori back then.  To be honest, I don't remember Yaginuma so much while I remember Sato because of the protest at worlds by Surya Bonaly.  (Back then I was all for jumps & costume and didn't know anything about skating skills so I thought the protest was valid and just.  Embarassed )

I think it's a matter of efficiency.  Back then the FS world in Japan was fragmented and the federation activity was not as comprehensive as it is now, according to Mrs. Yamada.  In such case, the population size of promising talents you happen to have is necessarily very small. But when you expand the scope of target, you have much bigger population of promising talents with higher capabilities on the average.  Also, Nobeyama gives good motivation to talented young skaters. They work even harder to be sent there once a year in summer. And at Nobeyama they watch other talented skaters of their generation in person and realize how much gap they have to narrow.

About translation, no problem!
Back to top Go down
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
linglang

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 1:38 am

pearlyriver wrote:
ilovethai wrote:

Was Shizuka actually under as much pressure as Midori and Mao were during the Olympics? Shizuka wasn't a gold favorite at that time and she had a bad season before so the press probably didn't expect her to win OGM and didn't follow her crazily.

I remember it was like you said in the above.  It's Miki who received bigger media attention because the media loved her as much as they loved Mao (who wasn't eligible for the game).  I think Miki was under heavy pressure especially because she was selected for the team even though she ended up in the 6th at the nationals.  

By the way, I remember watching a Lotte's TV commercial featuring Shizuka, Fumie and Miki during the 2005 nationals broadcast. IIRC, it was put on the air even before the nationals. I joked to my husband because of this TV commercial Miki was chosen over Yukari.  If Yukari was chosen, JSF had to ask Lotte to rework the video.  Too sweet!  I don't remember watching Lotte's TV commercial featuring three ladies skaters during the 2009 nationals. Probably because they weren't sure if it would be Yukari or Akiko who would make the team, they didn't make it?  geek  As a matter of fact, Mao's new Lotte CM was put on the air only after she made the team on the 25th.  cherry

I'm looking for an NHK documentary clip on Shizuka which was broadcasted after she won OGM in 2006. I want to watch it again, especially about the part on the edge change of spin.
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 4:36 am

linglang wrote:

By the way, I remember watching a Lotte's TV commercial featuring Shizuka, Fumie and Miki during the 2005 nationals broadcast. IIRC, it was put on the air even before the nationals. I joked to my husband because of this TV commercial Miki was chosen over Yukari.  If Yukari was chosen, JSF had to ask Lotte to rework the video.  Too sweet!  

Lotte had no reason to worry - the qualifying system used by JSF in 2006 guaranteed that Miki would be on the team, regardless of the results of the Nationals. Sadly for Yukari, there was no mathematical possibility for her to qualify. Her results in 2005-06 season were good, but she could not overcome the amount of points that Miki, Fumie, Shizuka & Yoshie accumulated over the 3 seasons preceeding the Olympics.

IIRC, the ranking was:
1. Miki
2. Fumie (or was she 1st thanks to her Nationals win..? My memory is foggy.)
3. Shizuka
4. Yoshie
5. Yukari

There was a similar situation in men: while the "battle" for the single spot was strongly hyped by the media, even if Daisuke was 2nd or 3rd at Nats, he would still have a point lead.

Quote :
I'm looking for an NHK documentary clip on Shizuka which was broadcasted after she won OGM in 2006. I want to watch it again, especially about the part on the edge change of spin.

That was an interesting documentary. I had it saved, but my HDD crashed. Unconscious I'll see if I can find it on one of my DVDs...
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 am

Is Mao going to compete in the Four Continents this month?
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 3:19 am

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

No, her next competition will be at Olympic Games.
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 8:41 pm

zarinaballerina wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

She chose not to? Wow I'm behind.
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
zarinaballerina wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

JSF didn't send her to 4CC. I don't think you can choose which competition to go to ? Neutral 
Back to top Go down
symbolicsmile

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 am

Is there anyone who can help to translate the following Japanese?

It is the excerpt from Sato's interview regarding our Mao.

I copied it from Chinese forum.

全日本选手権以降の练习は、试合の前から终わったら休むように言っていた。
一周间は氷に乗るのもやめて欲しかったけど、体力や感覚のこともある。

・氷に乗りながら本格的な练习を2周间弱せずに、6日には全日本で出来なかったシットスピンが出来るまで戻ってきた。(全日只拿到Lv1的Sit spin开始恢复状态)

・五轮でも3Aを计3回跳ぶのか?
 そういう计画だが、今は先が読めない。白纸の状态。

腰の状态を除いて考えると、3Aの状态は? いい时は本当にきっちりと回っている。回転不足の判定が多いことは気にしてもしょうがない、あとは反复。ただやり过ぎると体が壊れる。慎重に见极めないといけない、もう一回休むようなことはしたくない。

あとはメンテナンスをちゃんとしてあげられるか。残された一か月をどこまで回复させられるかだと思う。
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 pm

pearlyriver wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
zarinaballerina wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

JSF didn't send her to 4CC. I don't think you can choose which competition to go to ? Neutral 

Some skaters certainly can.  Razz Wink 

IMO, it was the right decision, regardless from whom it came from. I think that before the Vancouver Mao did a cheesefest competition in Japan and a 4CC, so this time she should rest and try to heal as much as possible and prepare for Sochi. If the decision came form JSF than they finally realized that their skaters are not machines and when pushed too hard, they will break.
Back to top Go down
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Mao_Asada_sunrise

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm

pearlyriver wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
zarinaballerina wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

Wow... They didn't send her? I'd think they would, but I have a feeling that Mao had a big say. She didn't want to go. They respected and agreed with her decision, so they are letting her rest.
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 12:35 am

symbolicsmile wrote:
Is there anyone who can help to translate the following Japanese?

It is the excerpt from Sato's interview regarding our Mao.

I copied it from Chinese forum.

全日本选手権以降の练习は、试合の前から终わったら休むように言っていた。
一周间は氷に乗るのもやめて欲しかったけど、体力や感覚のこともある。

・氷に乗りながら本格的な练习を2周间弱せずに、6日には全日本で出来なかったシットスピンが出来るまで戻ってきた。(全日只拿到Lv1的Sit spin开始恢复状态)

・五轮でも3Aを计3回跳ぶのか?
 そういう计画だが、今は先が読めない。白纸の状态。

腰の状态を除いて考えると、3Aの状态は? いい时は本当にきっちりと回っている。回転不足の判定が多いことは気にしてもしょうがない、あとは反复。ただやり过ぎると体が壊れる。慎重に见极めないといけない、もう一回休むようなことはしたくない。

あとはメンテナンスをちゃんとしてあげられるか。残された一か月をどこまで回复させられるかだと思う。

I asked a Japanese member from our group and basically what coach Sato said was:
Mao's lowback was no good after the Jpn National.
It has been recovered OK now she can do sit spin as low as she usually does.
I am so concerned for her cos she tends to overwork. I think her attempt to jump 3A twince in FP makes the muscle her back really worn out.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:54 am

I'm so glad to hear that her back has healed. I'm with you pearlyriver, I hope she won't overwork herself.
Back to top Go down
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chapis

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 8:44 am

It is great she feels better  Cheering , I can´t wait to watch her in OG, I hope she come back to her original SP dress and that she does not use her bells dress anymore, I hate it  Yep, Sadly 
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 am

I am soo happy to hear that Mao's back has recovered Smile 
Back to top Go down
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
shar

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 am

chapis wrote:
It is great she feels better  Cheering , I can´t wait to watch her in OG, I hope she come back to her original SP dress and that she does not use her bells dress anymore, I hate it  Yep, Sadly 

Yes, I'm glad Mao is healing well. And with her not competing in 4CC or the team event so she can take it easy, I have a good feeling Mao will peak at Sochi.

As for her SP outfits, her second SP dress has a hideous top part. The 1st dress matched her program perfectly.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 11:24 am

shar wrote:

Yes, I'm glad Mao is healing well. And with her not competing in 4CC or the team event so she can take it easy, I have a good feeling Mao will peak at Sochi.

As for her SP outfits, her second SP dress has a hideous top part. The 1st dress matched her program perfectly.

I hope you're right. Has it been anounced that Mao won't compete in the team event? Somehow, I can't imagine JSF not wanting her on it.

Actually, I prefer her latest SP dress, it fits the music perfectly, IMO. The first dress, the one she showed at The Ice had to much going on, the second one was too loose and to light in colour, for now, the third one fits the most.
I wonder if she'll change the LP dress as well. If she is, I hope it'll be in bold colour and will have something blue on it. I'm supersticious.  Wink Yep! 
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 6:54 pm

It sounds like Coach Sato is also monitoring closely so that Mao won't get over-trained. Another keyword from the original excerpt is "maintenance". I guess once Mao's recovering to a better statues, the next thing to think about is how to keep her in her top form. Yes, I also hope Mao can peak in Sochi, just like what she did at 4CC during last year, then it would be a spectacular! (praying...)
Back to top Go down
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Sharing: Mao's Stsq collection -- thanks to the uploader  Confetti 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYn0ahAivw
Back to top Go down
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
shar

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 8:34 pm

COHK wrote:

Thanks for sharing this COHK.

OMG! I will not be seeing these kind of StSq when Mao retires (except in ice shows).   Bawling Bawling

And she was doing these intricate steps as young as 13-14. And you look at Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, Kanako, Adelina, (Julia is only 15, so i'll give her some time), in terms of finesse, these ladies are not even on the same Level as Mao, or Yuna was when they were 16. And they are 17-22 years old already. These 2 really did reinvent the artistry of FS when they came on the scene.

Even with 5 other ladies doing 3A's before her, Mao was the first (and only) lady to jump the 3A with beauty and grace. Midori and Tonya used speed and power, but neither had grace and femininity when jumping the 3a. And Yuna was very lyrical with her body even at 15 Junior worlds, as was Mao. Which is also why they were the only 2 whose performances were memorable, and why they were the top 2 in Junior worlds for the 2 straight years they competed.
Back to top Go down
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
pearlyriver

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 12:46 am

shar wrote:
COHK wrote:

Thanks for sharing this COHK.

OMG! I will not be seeing these kind of StSq when Mao retires (except in ice shows).   Bawling Bawling

And she was doing these intricate steps as young as 13-14. And you look at Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, Kanako, Adelina, (Julia is only 15, so i'll give her some time), in terms of finesse, these ladies are not even on the same Level as Mao, or Yuna was when they were 16. And they are 17-22 years old already. These 2 really did reinvent the artistry of FS when they came on the scene.

Even with 5 other ladies doing 3A's before her, Mao was the first (and only) lady to jump the 3A with beauty and grace. Midori and Tonya used speed and power, but neither had grace and femininity when jumping the 3a. And Yuna was very lyrical with her body even at 15 Junior worlds, as was Mao. Which is also why they were the only 2 whose performances were memorable, and why they were the top 2 in Junior worlds for the 2 straight years they competed.

Thanks for sharing, COHK.
This is what I don't understand about people dismissing Mao as a one-trick pony or jumping bean. Her stsq at age 15 were miles better than any other senior ladies (Michelle, Sasha, Shizuka). She really elevated step sequence to a next level and made skating on the ice so effortlessly. I can understand people who prefer powerful jumpers like Yuna, but to ignore those qualities in Mao is unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!   - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next