Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.

Go down 
+31
mitsuno
Eley87
angelberry
MaoNinja
kiki
Mirai
maowataiyo
sockpuff
itcaip
MaoMaoRevolution
e2girl
Okami
ddmm
bleedingblades3
bibi
Maya
Admin
Erika
reiko.
chiyori
SoMiTripleAxel
coconut
snowdrops24
summervie
clovera
polosatik
chineseteacup
chapis
Batsuchan
Oscilla
☆Genie
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm

In reply to MaoMaoRevolution's post:

Sometimes, I worry for the wellbeing of Yu-na should she not place first in a competition. Some of her fans (as you mentioned in your post) seem to love Yu-na so much to the point of being unhealthily obsessed with her. I often liken it in my mind to a child with a puppy. The child finds the puppy so cute that he hugs it really tightily and refuses to let go and won't let anyone else play with the puppy. Finally, he ends up suffocating the puppy out of his love for it.

I don't know if I'm over-analysing things, but I feel that that's the case here. You're right in your assessment of how some of the Yu-na fans (some, not all) love Yu-na more than they love the figure skating sport. My friend recently sent me a link to this poll and Yu-na was listed as the second most popular person in South Korea. She has been elevated to the same level as a pop singer (e.g. the Wondergirls or Super Junior) or a film actress. They're no longer seeing her as an athlete, because if they are they wouldn't be bashing other skaters or writing such racist remarks against Mao and Japan because that wouldn't be in the spirit of sportsmanship.

Yu-na is EXTREMELY talented and I can say that as a purely Mao fan without feeling like I've betrayed Mao. The way Yu-na flies through the air in her jumps is quite amazing to behold.

See, I can be a Mao fan and still praise the skills of other skaters.

Those crazy Yu-na fans could learn something from us rational Mao fans lol!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:26 pm

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:

==This is totally unrelated but...I LOVE how TAT hugs Mao like she's going to suffocate her after the LP! She practically rips Mao off the ice in happiness >w<

Wow, I didn't see this when I was there, and it was too painful to go back and watch Mao's LP, so I didn't do it until now (ok, well I just skipped to the end) - aww, that is so cute! "I love you!" TAT says. Love Hearts Aww!! Wub

About Yu-Na:
Well, I have tremendous respect for her as a skater. I think she is immensely talented, and I agree with Yoshioka of the JSF that her programs work from the 'whole program' perspective. She has a polish to her programs which I think Mao only develops by the very end of a season. She also knows how to 'sell' every element in her program. It might be confidence, or arrogance, but watching her, it's like she's saying "Ooh, now watch me do my 3F-3T! And now see this huge 3Lz!" You can really feel her confidence.

I think Mao has more beautiful jumps, spins, spirals, but she doesn't "sell" them. She doesn't have that confidence/pride; it's almost like she's too humble! I also think she gets wrapped up in doing her elements (jumps especially) perfectly, and forgets about expressing the program - there were many times when she'd be off the beat in 'Masquerade Waltz,' for example. Neutral

HOWEVER, I think Mao is perfectly capable of attaining the same level of polish/perfection in her programs. And she can put on a good performance on the "whole program" level - like with her Nocturne SP. Thumbs up! And she can get some of that "I want you to watch me" attitude that she brings to her EX.

No matter how much I respect Yu-Na and think she deserved to win, I am not a fan of her skating. It may be just because I'm a huge Mao fan, but I just can't enjoy her skating. Sweatdrop The ballet dancer in me revolts when I see her lack of extension, toe point, and flexibility...Whirly But that's just me, and my particular aesthetic preferences. Sweatdrop Same goes for Miki Ando's positions sometimes - makes me go iccckk!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Check out these links for Spiral Sequence and Step Sequence comparisons:

Step Sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGrji_JpvM

Spiral Sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFazitiZoUo

Can someone explain to me how Yu-na got 2.0 for her GOE on THAT spiral sequence? There is no stretch to it AT ALL. And why Mao didn't even manage a Level 4 for her spiral sequence>

The whole thing's ridiculous and bizarre. I feel a re-newed sense of anger at the injustice of it all. I know the competition's long over but there are some things you just can't let go off!
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
I think Mao has more beautiful jumps, spins, spirals, but she doesn't "sell" them. She doesn't have that confidence/pride; it's almost like she's too humble! I also think she gets wrapped up in doing her elements (jumps especially) perfectly, and forgets about expressing the program - there were many times when she'd be off the beat in 'Masquerade Waltz,' for example. Neutral

Are you sure you're not selling Mao a bit short with her FP performance? Smile The first time I watched it, I was so caught up in the 3A fall that the rest of the program seemed less-than-perfect to me. I re-watched it again, and if I block out the fall, the whole thing looks as beautiful as it did with her NHK and GPF performances.
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Re the spiral sequence - seeing this live really put it into perspective for me. Although Mao's positions are the most gorgeous, she is very slow compared to the other competitors, and she barely covers any distance. Yu-Na goes all over the ice. I think Mao should definitely work on this.

chineseteacup wrote:

Are you sure you're not selling Mao a bit short with her FP performance? Smile

Maybe I am? Crying or Very sad And honestly, I haven't gone back to watch her FP yet. Sweatdrop

I don't know, it's just that my pro-Mao bias is so strong that when things don't go well for her and the judges give her poor marks, I figure I'm too biased, so I try hard to see the other side. And I basically went through something like an existential crisis on Friday night - I couldn't sleep, I was so upset. Depressed Crying And it made me think of all the doubts I've sort of had about Mao's LP - that the beginning is a little lacking in choreo, that it doesn't really pick up until the step sequence, that the music is repetitive - and strengths that Yu-Na has that I didn't really want to admit.

But never fear - I shall continue to think that Mao is the best skater ever, even if she does have a few things she could work on, and even if the judges disagree with me! I was so happy to see happy Mao, and I hope that her new college life gives her newfound spirit for her skating! Cheering
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
Re the spiral sequence - seeing this live really put it into perspective for me. Although Mao's positions are the most gorgeous, she is very slow compared to the other competitors, and she barely covers any distance. Yu-Na goes all over the ice. I think Mao should definitely work on this.

See, you just don't pick these things up on video, with the cameras tracking the skater's every movement! Another thing I've found that Mao isn't a very "aggressive" spinner - once again, her positions are gorgeous but she rotates slower than skaters like Yu-na and Alissa Czisny. Is it because she uses up too much energy in her jumps and the step sequence? I find that skaters with only average jumps are amazing in their spirals. Although, in Yu-na's case, she's good in her jumps AND spirals.

Gosh, I hope she really isn't unbeatable! Whirly

Re: "pro-Mao bias" - Don't doubt yourself! And your bias! Your bias must have some sense of rational basis to it if thousands of others share the same sentiment Very Happy I get what people mean about Masquerade being too "repetitive" because it just sounds like the same melody playing over and over again; however, I happen to find it the most fascinating piece of music in existence because I've been playing it as a piano duet with my friend for a while now and know the nuances of the pice like the back of my hand. So that, coupled with Mao's exquisite skating, makes the LP a win for me!
Back to top Go down
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
snowdrops24

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 am

I agree with Batsuchan and chineseteacup's observations with Mao's spiral sequence and spins.

I had a huge problem with Mao failing to get level 4s in her spirals and spins. I wouldn't have cared about the levels that much until I saw that Yuna's got level 4 on her spins and spirals CONSISTENTLY in nearly every competition. That's when I start thinking, WHAT THE HECK Suspect , what's wrong with Mao's? scratch Mao's spins especially in the Sp looks so spectacular to me that I can't believe she's graded less the Yuna's.

After looking into what judges look at in spins and spirals, I realize what's Mao's problems. We don't recognize them that easily because they are not quite visible on the TV screen. As Batsuchan said, Mao's spirals are rather slow and small compared to other skaters. The smoothness of the change of edge is also very important but we don't usually see that clearly on TV, because what the cameramen focuses on the skater's upper body during the second half of their spirals. Mao's change of edge is sometimes wobbly and slow too compared to Yuna's. Speed apparently, matters a lot to the judges and as people always say, "you'd look better at everything if you skater faster."

For spins, the judges look at the skaters' boots to get the accurate number of spins. They have specific requirements for each position and each edge in order attain a level 4. Again, If we just focus on the movement of Mao's boots, she spins rather slowly at times and not as smoothly too, which would explain why she fail to get a level 4 because she didn't hold the position long enough to get the required rotations.

In reply to Maochanthebest's post: About the versatility of the program:

I too, want the skaters at the Olympics to pull out every jump and skill in their repertoire. It would be so much more exciting to watch for me as an audience. I too, hope that Yuna, by the Olympics, would be able to put in more kinds of jumps into her program. I heard that she's thinking of adding a new combo, 3Z/3Toe for her FS next season. However, I think it is unlikely that she will bring all the jumps even if she can land them, nor will Mao, even for her commendable spirit to take challenges.

This is because both of these girls want to win it all. They don't want bronze or silver at the Olympics, but the gold. Under the COP system, skaters are harshly penalized if they execute a sub-par element, be it edge calls/penalties, DG, deduction for falling, you name it. Given the tough competition, a DG may cost one of the girls a medal. When you compare the penalties with the GOEs a skater can get for executing an element well, some people just think it's unnecessary to take the risk. Yuna's probably go with the similar technical elements and jump layout she's been doing for the past few years because she's been perfecting them for years (thus, have confidence) and most importantly, she's been getting HUGE GOEs for them.

Despite using the same technical elements and layout every year, few people find Yuna's performance boring. This is because she makes it up with the height of her jumps, the speed of her skating, her well-executed choreography and dramatic expressions. It's like repackaging. As an audience, we may not agree with her decisions. But as a competitor who want to win the competition, this is a smart and informed choice. We can't discredit her for this.

Elite skaters whom their federations and country are expecting to win the OGM also have to make decisions they don't necessarily agree themselves. For the Korean federation, their greatest concern honestly is ofcourse not her growth as a skater (my personal opinion) but whether she's able to get the worlds gold medal and OGM. Many champion skaters have lowered the level of difficulty in their programs to minimize unnecessary risks. Yagudin's olympic winning FS performance is an example. It's part of their competitive strategy.

This is the harsh reality of the sport. The best skater may not always be the one to win the OGM. Just my two cents of this topic. Cool

Even so, as much as I admire Yuna's tenacity and beautiful skating, I am not Yuna's fan. I enjoy and admire her skating but definitely am too much of Mao's fan to be her fan:D . Just trying to give credit to where's due. Yuna, as much as I would LOVE for Mao to kick her butt in the FS Very Mad , did deliver two skates worthy of the gold medal. With what she put out at worlds, JSF has very good reasons to worry about Mao's possibilty of medalling gold. However, I am SURE that MAO will prevail against all odds and skate the skate of her life in vancouver. I believe in her too much to think otherwise.
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 am

In Hollywood there's a rule: You're as good as your last movie is. I want to remind dear forum members that we are not in Hollywood.
And that Mao Asada beated everybody (including some 'unbeatable' skaters) at GPF not so long ago and was a reigning champion of everything.
And that she had a great perfomance at the Worlds, despite being under the pressure of several kims and at least a dozen of rochettes.
And that her placement/score was just a placement/score, and nothing more. And doesn't change anything.
And that a mentioned skater Kim had MUCH MORE favourable psychological background going into this Worlds (part of which she gained through her shameless, cynical lies, yes).
And that Mao Asada is Mao Asada, and fortunately she'll never be skating as carelessly as Joannie Rochette does (or as "selling" as Yu-na), at least because she's not Joannie Rochette. And she has her own way to go, her own goals to aim at, her own ideals to correspond with, her own expectations to fulfill, her own demons to defeat, her own burden to carry, her own everything...
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am

summervie wrote:
In Hollywood there's a rule: You're as good as your last movie is. I want to remind dear forum members that we are not in Hollywood.
And that Mao Asada beated everybody (including some 'unbeatable' skaters) at GPF not so long ago and was a reigning champion of everything.
And that she had a great perfomance at the Worlds, despite being under the pressure of several kims and at least a dozen of rochettes.
And that her placement/score was just a placement/score, and nothing more. And doesn't change anything.
And that a mentioned skater Kim had MUCH MORE favourable psychological background going into this Worlds (part of which she gained through her shameless, cynical lies, yes).
And, if some of you look at Mao's perfomance as if she had/have some mulfunction (wasn't smiling enough, looked too concentrated, had some doubts; unlike one year ago/before), I want to remind that she's a human being, while you could ask yourself: if you are always the same, ever smiling, never depressed, never in doubts?
And that Mao Asada is Mao Asada, and fortunately she'll never be skating as carelessly as Joannie Rochette does (or as "selling" as Yu-na), at least because she's not Joannie Rochette. And she has her own way to go, her own goals to aim at, her own ideals to correspond with, her own expectations to fulfill, her own demons to defeat, her own burden to carry, her own everything...

I don't think anyone here is doubting that Mao is the best. She isn't perfect, but then again, who is? Certainly not Yu-na Kim, or Joannie Rochette, or Miki Ando. Did Mao deserve that 4th placement - certainly not! But that's already been said here many many times so I'll spare everyone my diatribe against corrupt skating officials Laughing

I think you're absolutely right, though - as a result of Mao's 4th placement, some of us (myself included) have become disillusioned, with both the skating system and (forgive me Mao!) Mao herself. However, my disillusionment only lasted for approximately half an hour; half an hour later, I was back to convinced that Mao is still the BEST skater. I'm sure that's the same with other people here. We cannot help but feel disappointed that our favourite skater has lost, but we shouldn't lose faith in her either!

As for the 'unbeatable' Kim - well, not really.
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:47 am

summervie wrote:

Yes, you're totally right. Mao won 4cc, Worlds and GPF in 2008...all the major gold medals. Now, people are making a fuss because she just missed a podium (first time ONLY since 2005). Mao is still the best skater like Candeloro says.
Back to top Go down
shallwedansu

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 pm

For a forum dedicated to Mao, you guys sure talk about Yu-Na A LOT! Razz

I want to add, Korea will always support Yu-Na like Japan will always support their skaters. But much of the recent hype around Yu-Na was created by Western media because she won the biggest FS competition of this season in LA with a record score. The Western audience and media witnessed and they're creating a lot of hype around her to raise awareness for Olympics which will be held in North America. Hype is hype and as fans who follow the sport every season, we all know every skater is not as good as their last skate. I guess what I want to say is, don't be so bothered by all the hype and instead, let's talk about Mao.

As fans of both skaters, let me just say this fan war goes BOTH ways...

Anyways, I read at FSU the picture of Mao alone and looking sad isn't what it appears to be. The person said she was there at the practice and pointed out Mao wasn't sad, but really bored when that picture was taken. Laugh

BTW, thanks everyone for the welcome. And yes, I'm the same shallwedansu at GS and FSU. Why hide behind multiple identities when it's so much easier to have one ID? Wink
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 pm

shallwedansu wrote:
For a forum dedicated to Mao, you guys sure talk about Yu-Na A LOT! Razz

I want to add, Korea will always support Yu-Na like Japan will always support their skaters. But much of the recent hype around Yu-Na was created by Western media because she won the biggest FS competition of this season in LA with a record score.

Welcome~ Love Hearts : D

Well, I think Yuna gets brought up a lot because this is a thread dedicated to Worlds...and Yuna did win Worlds, which Mao previously held the title for.
I agree with the fact that the western media is building up hype behind Yuna, but what is different is that a lot of Yuna fans go out of their way to insult Mao, much more than Mao fans do to Yuna. I have friends on both sides and unfortunately the Yuna fans frequently just say things like, "Yuna is gonna beat Mao!" or "Yuna is sooo much better!" while my Mao-supporting friends also appriciate Yuna as a worthy adversary and talk about actual elements of the program. I'm not saying all Yuna fans are like that...but it does tend to get a little annoying. I deeply appriciate Yuna, and I am certainly not going to insult her skating or technique because she beat Mao.
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 pm

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:

Well, I think Yuna gets brought up a lot because this is a thread dedicated to Worlds...and Yuna did win Worlds, which Mao previously held the title for.
I agree with the fact that the western media is building up hype behind Yuna, but what is different is that a lot of Yuna fans go out of their way to insult Mao, much more than Mao fans do to Yuna. I have friends on both sides and unfortunately the Yuna fans frequently just say things like, "Yuna is gonna beat Mao!" or "Yuna is sooo much better!" while my Mao-supporting friends also appriciate Yuna as a worthy adversary and talk about actual elements of the program. I'm not saying all Yuna fans are like that...but it does tend to get a little annoying. I deeply appriciate Yuna, and I am certainly not going to insult her skating or technique because she beat Mao.
Well, you better get used to that, because this isn't even the Olympic season yet. Korea is by far the most nationalistic country of the modern civilized world ("everything the best is Korean, everything Korean - is the best"). Not all people are like that of course, but in general this is their national attitude/mentality. And sometimes (often?) all this just goes beyond any reasonable boundaries.
I already gave an example of one my Korean friend, who is herself an absolutely clever and wonderful overall person (still, even being this way she nearly hates Mao pale) and has been a fan of figure skating longer than me, but she simply doesn't know that Mao can jump 3A. Snow Because she doesn't visit any international boards, and within their national ones it's like a common knowledge that Mao just cheats her 3A (as well as other jumps). This myth is being fueled by the major national media, and common fans are happy to accept it, since Mao is the enemy of their textbook queen, and she has to have some major flaws only because of that. I can continue on this topic for some time more, but oh well. Just be ready for the next season, when everything, I'm afrad, will get much worse.
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:53 pm

shallwedansu wrote:

Anyways, I read at FSU the picture of Mao alone and looking sad isn't what it appears to be. The person said she was there at the practice and pointed out Mao wasn't sad, but really bored when that picture was taken. Laugh

Yeah, I was glad to hear that Mao was mostly bored - but she definitely was a bit depressed too, it seems. She cried after the FS, and there certainly must've been a reason Miki was comforting her...but anyway.

shallwedansu wrote:
Why hide behind multiple identities when it's so much easier to have one ID? Wink

Totally agree! Yep!

As for why Yu-Na comes up a lot - well, I think it's inevitable!

But I think if you step back and look at it, it's a fascinating rivalry! WOW! I mean, to the average viewer who knows nothing about skaing, they probably would seem like the same person - just 20 days apart in age, Asian, basically the same height and weight - both really good jumpers, spinners, artists, etc. - and both attractive, sweet girls.

I think it's precisely that they're both good at everything (though we may disagree who is better at what) and that they come from rival nations, that discussions about them become so contentious/nasty. It's either the patriotism, or the hard-to-explain things that make you a Mao fan or Yu-Na fan. It's like trying to say why you like chocolate ice cream better than vanilla ice cream.

In contrast - look at the Shawn Johnson/Nastia Liukin rivalry in gymnastics at the Beijing Olympics - totally different body types, strengths, styles, etc. I think fans of either could agree to disagree - people who like power & panache liked Shawn, people who liked grace & the artistic stuff like Nastia.

Not so easy to distinguish Mao/Yu-Na that way, and it really *irks* me when they try to make the Mao/Yu-Na battle, "the athlete" vs "the artist." They can do that with Joubert vs Chan or Buttle, but not with Mao/Yu-Na in my opinion. Very Happy

What I was thinking when I was at Worlds was, gee, I wonder what Mao and Yu-Na's mothers think of the other? I feel like on the one hand, you'd be like, "My daughter has worked so hard for this, and I hope she wins," but at the same time, I think they would view the other girl with compassion, and maybe even some kind of affection, thinking "she's also trained so hard for this; she's just like my baby girl".. But that's just my speculation... Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
snowdrops24

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
As for why Yu-Na comes up a lot - well, I think it's inevitable!

But I think if you step back and look at it, it's a fascinating rivalry! WOW! I mean, to the average viewer who knows nothing about skaing, they probably would seem like the same person - just 20 days apart in age, Asian, basically the same height and weight - both really good jumpers, spinners, artists, etc. - and both attractive, sweet girls.

It is pretty fascinating, though not so good for the heart for the fans. Blood pressure rises too high! Razz

Here's CBC commentary of Mao's FS (for people interested-for people hasn't watched CBC commentary before this season should know before watching that kurt and tracy does not like Mao's new FS choreography):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTlrdsqf81g

They were complimentary to Mao's skating skills and edge work though. Kurt was saying something towards the end but the video was cut and went on to the K&C.
Back to top Go down
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:14 am

Well, this is my first time to join a forum. I've never participated in any forum as some of the forums in the net are just not worthy to get involved in. I've been following up this forum for a while now and I must concede that this forum with its moderators is very informative and that is due to the well educated moderators and members of the forum and I'm so glad that you all have your head over your shoulders. For starters, apparently, people in the figure skating world have been playing with politics that is really out of control. There's nothing wrong with MAO..it's the system and the media plays along with them. I'm hurting because everybody is very aware of what's going on and in spite of it all, Mao still knows how to hold herself up. With the pre-world Korea/Japanese controversy created between Mao and Yuna, I tip my hat off to Mao because she is still able to face people, the media, and her friends and family without burdening them with what and how these things are affecting her. She is doing a very good job and everybody should be in awe, and Japan and its media should be proud of her and respect her for how she has improved herself and has raised the level of figure skating without all the unnecessary reasonings. Controversy all over the place and it's a shame that people don't understand what figure skating is all about. If they want EMOTINGS and FACIAL EXPRESSIONS, they should go to ice shows. I am one who will never give in to what they say about facial expressions because figure skating is a sport and art just like gymnastics and the likes that you don't check out the face but check out the technicalities involved. Thank you for being there for MAO!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:20 am

juliet wrote:
Well, this is my first time to join a forum.

Welcome, juliet! I guess if anyone ever felt the impulse to join a figure skating forum, this would be the one to go for Very Happy
Back to top Go down
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 4:22 am

Thank you chineseteacup...I just wish people will admit that MAO really has a heart of a champion. I sincerely believe in her. In whatever field of Art you're in, technicalities come first, then the rest follows like the emoting, and/or facial expressions. In time, Mao will be the perfect Mao, as she thinks and analyzes things properly together with her coach. As for the others, they have to make an impact with their overacting skills to impress the audience and of course to conceal their austere technicalities. I am very much amazed at MAO's sturdiness and how she has achieved so much a high level in such a short time.....and to top it all, she skates her program from beginning to the end, really delivers, no matter what happens in between like making mistakes, and faces the crowd at the end of each program in such a regal manner.
Back to top Go down
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
bibi

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:15 am

Quote :
Here's CBC commentary of Mao's FS (for people
interested-for people hasn't watched CBC commentary before this season
should know before watching that kurt and tracy does not like Mao's new
FS choreography):

Did you heard that Kurt said "Got it" at her second triple axel before she fell. He was sure she would have landed it!!
Back to top Go down
http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
snowdrops24

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 am

bibi wrote:
Quote :
Here's CBC commentary of Mao's FS (for people
interested-for people hasn't watched CBC commentary before this season
should know before watching that kurt and tracy does not like Mao's new
FS choreography):

Did you heard that Kurt said "Got it" at her second triple axel before she fell. He was sure she would have landed it!!

It did look she was going to land it successfully.I thought so until the side of her blade hits the ice roughly and bump! she falls. I haven't seen Mao fall from a 3A like that before. To my unprofessional eyes at that time, I even thought she had fully rotated the jump :@_@. But I guess not. Laugh
Back to top Go down
MOACHANTHEBEST
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 am

I wonder if Yu-na's fans really love Yu-NA as a wonderful skater and a great athlete, or they love her as one Korean who beats Japanese. I am very sure there are Korean fans that do not even know what figure skating is all about. I can proudly believe and say that Mao fans love Mao because of her beautiful skating, great personality and her admirable sportsmanship. We just love her because she is MAO.That is the big difefrenece between Mao fans and Yu-Na fan.( I can not say all of them are like that, though)
Shallwedansu stated that all the hype started from Western media. I am wondering may be they are trying to undermine Japanese skaters because Japanese started invade their skating territory. Now Japan can send 3 skaters for both Men and Women.By using Yu-na, they are trying to shake Japanese skaters' and JSF's confidence and manipulate media to favour non-Japanese. They know for now Korea is no threat to become dominant in the skating world because they do not have anybody else but Yu-Na. It just does not make sense to me that she gets those massive GOE on spirals and spins which are good ,but not that spectacular. Mao's spins and spiral positions are much better. Maybe they were slower only because she just did not have enough confidence to execute whole program with full heart on that day. She can do them beautifully. I am sure Yu-na will not be able to skate as well if she had to fix her flip and put 3 loop in the program. I felt that Kozuka's score was too low, too.
Back to top Go down
tianrushui
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
tianrushui

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:04 am

It's absolutely true that many koreans love Yuna just because she earns prize for Korea. During Ladies' lp, one Korean sits behind me asked me what is the possible highest score in Ladies' lp. And although I don't know Korean, they seemed very anxious every time when a skater performed perfectly not only during mao's performance.
Well, as to the hypes about yuna from western media, it's simply because she wins the title this year. I am pretty much sure that if mao wins next year, they will begin to praise mao.
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:00 pm

MOACHANTHEBEST wrote:
I wonder if Yu-na's fans really love Yu-NA as a wonderful skater and a great athlete, or they love her as one Korean who beats Japanese. I am very sure there are Korean fans that do not even know what figure skating is all about. I can proudly believe and say that Mao fans love Mao because of her beautiful skating, great personality and her admirable sportsmanship. We just love her because she is MAO.That is the big difefrenece between Mao fans and Yu-Na fan.( I can not say all of them are like that, though)

I agree that some fans can be like that and I find that extremely sad for Yu-na, who, after all, is a teenager as well and just trying her best to do herself and her country proud. As a hardcore Razz Mao fan, sometimes I tend to see other skaters as the villains without realising that 1) They're out there to do their best too and 2) They're under a load of pressure from their country to deliver and 3) They can't help the way their fans react to other skaters. I think some Yu-na fans have yet to achieve the epiphany I had, and continue to see the sport as a political war between S. Korea and Japan.

To tianrushui - I felt kinda betrayed when Dick Button and Michelle Kwan heaped praise on Yu-na after she won the title. I always thought Uncle Dick was a Mao fan and would have said SOMETHING at least about Mao's skating and how she deserved a medal, but I guess he's just an impartial commentator like the rest of them and go whichever way the gold medal goes.
Back to top Go down
MOACHANTHEBEST
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 pm

tianrushui, I hope hypes happened because she won, not vise vesa. I also felt same way about Dick Button. They also showed Yu-na singing, Johnny Weir's interview about his special friendship with
Yu-na, and comments by Scott Hamilton, before even the event started, I already felt that Yu-Na was going to win!! I might sound biased, but I just can not help it.
Chineseteacup, I agree with you completely.

MAOCHAN THE BEST!!!!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 pm

MY VIDS FROM WORLDS!

Well, this is my first time uploading, so I hope this works!

From Mao's FS runthrough:

Mao's 3A - right in front of me! WOW!
http://www.mediafire.com/?hgzjzcuzyiq

Mao's step sequence Love Hearts
http://www.mediafire.com/?jzoflwmwiz2

From Kozu's SP runthrough - well, maybe it wasn't that exciting, but Mao was watching, so it must've been interesting! Too sweet!

Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?ytyyyylzozi

Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?2gnmzdwymym

Yep, I guess I do cheer kind of loudly... Sweatdrop

Pics will come...eventually? Gahh, I'm flying out of town again, but I will get to it!! I looked at them today and was like, man, I really need a new camera. I need a better zoom!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.   2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA. - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2009 World Figure Skating Championships~LA.
Page 15 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next