Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grand Prix Assignments 2010

Go down 
+28
sapphiresky
Mia
tilitom
Figure_skating_love
ddmm
zakkan
chineseteacup
snowdrops24
Yunamao
Batsuchan
Star85
MaoMaoRevolution
Dani-Chan
aoi88
roma
Mirai
xoxomaomaoxoxo
PochinkoPotanko
mingming
polosatik
kaarolcia
BowbowDaijin
clovera
tigercub
alyssa
MikiAndoFan#1
chiyori
bibi
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Figure_skating_love
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Figure_skating_love

Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Star85 wrote:
So Mao has NHK, and TEB. Big surprise.... I was hoping she would choose at least one different one this year, but it's good that they are spaced far apart like they are.

Geez, what happened to the skate America lineup?! Not many fireworks going on there, as far as the ladies go. Not too much better in the other disciplines either.

And as far as Evan goes, didn't he say he would probably be taking this season off?

While i may miss Mao, Kanako and Min-Jung are incentive enough for me, plus i guess i wouldn't mind watching Caroline Zhang.
I love Kanako! So far as the rest go... well something is better than nothing Neutral

Yunamao wrote:
I'm glad that Mao will be in Paris Confetti again even if somehow I wanted her to go somewhere else like America because she's not very popular there (I mean to me she seems not, maybe I'm wrong...) I want her to give a better image to american people that they won't keep the havy & dramatic side of her.

No you're not wrong at all, Mao lacks popularity in the US Sad . If anything the US is subject to Yuna
Back to top Go down
tilitom
Double Axel
Double Axel
tilitom

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:15 am

well maybe in the future, if mao skates to something so hollywood like james bond and rihanna, opens a twitter account and a facebook account, and keeps her english website updated, she would be more popular in the US. Razz still, i love what mao is doing.
Back to top Go down
Mia

Mia

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:32 am

Figure_skating_love wrote:
No you're not wrong at all, Mao lacks popularity in the US Sad . If anything the US is subject to Yuna
Figure skating is such a minor sport in the US.
I don't think any of them is popular in America unless you mean US=Scott Hamilton.
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Mia wrote:
I don't think any of them is popular in America unless you mean US=Scott Hamilton.
Laughing

Mia's right though. Yu-Na may have received NBC's total back-up and praise during the Olys and the season before, but at the end of the day, skating is a minor sport and she's hardly a household name here. It's to be expected though, since hardly anyone around me knows who the current US champs are - I believe someone else mentioned this a few months ago too. Much of Evan's current publicity ironically came from DWTS, not his Olympic gold (although his win was what had him considered for the show no doubt), and ticket sales for SOI are at an all time low as well.

Skating is completely unappreciated in the States, IMO. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
tilitom
Double Axel
Double Axel
tilitom

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:39 pm

clovera wrote:
Mia wrote:
Laughing

Mia's right though. Yu-Na may have received NBC's total back-up and praise during the Olys and the season before, but at the end of the day, skating is a minor sport and she's hardly a household name here. It's to be expected though, since hardly anyone around me knows who the current US champs are - I believe someone else mentioned this a few months ago too. Much of Evan's current publicity ironically came from DWTS, not his Olympic gold (although his win was what had him considered for the show no doubt), and ticket sales for SOI are at an all time low as well.

really? Shocked i thought getting nominated for a "TIME most influential award" means she's really popular. i know the votes must have come from yunabots all over the web but still...i thought the nomination meant she's something of a household name. hmmmm... and i thought that she chose bond and gershwin to capitalize on that popularity

Shocked

i hope i'm right in assuming though that mao is very popular in europe. am i right? i recall one commentator during worlds 2010 saying that mao's fans wanted to see her during practice and they made a bit of noise. heeheeeheee. and besides, if france keeps on picking her for TEB, that means she's well loved, right? right? right? Happy dance Happy dance

i'm a super new mao fan!! there's so much to learn!! Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
sapphiresky

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:27 am

tilitom wrote:
clovera wrote:
Mia wrote:
Laughing

really? Shocked i thought getting nominated for a "TIME most influential award" means she's really popular. i know the votes must have come from yunabots all over the web but still...i thought the nomination meant she's something of a household name. hmmmm... and i thought that she chose bond and gershwin to capitalize on that popularity

Shocked

i hope i'm right in assuming though that mao is very popular in europe. am i right? i recall one commentator during worlds 2010 saying that mao's fans wanted to see her during practice and they made a bit of noise. heeheeeheee. and besides, if france keeps on picking her for TEB, that means she's well loved, right? right? right? Happy dance Happy dance

lol...nah...in that same poll, Rain, the korean popstar, came in 2nd or something...so TIME is really not that accurate, especially when there are so many nationalistic Netizens.

Figure skating in North America is not regarded as a mainstream sport. Most of my friends don't watch it, and don't know the current competitors. Some only watch during the Olympics. A lot of people here don't even think it's a sport...so a lot of the "stars" that we hear about are really not that famous here.

I don't know about Europe...

But Tilitom, it's great to see such an enthusiastic Mao fan!
Back to top Go down
Figure_skating_love
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Figure_skating_love

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:16 pm

sapphiresky wrote:
tilitom wrote:
clovera wrote:
Mia wrote:
Laughing

Shocked

lol...nah...in that same poll, Rain, the korean popstar, came in 2nd or something...so TIME is really not that accurate, especially when there are so many nationalistic Netizens.

Figure skating in North America is not regarded as a mainstream sport. Most of my friends don't watch it, and don't know the current competitors. Some only watch during the Olympics. A lot of people here don't even think it's a sport...so a lot of the "stars" that we hear about are really not that famous here.

I think that Michelle Kwan is as close as any figure skater ever came to being a household name in the states and even then you didn't have people sitting on their couches making events out of figure skating.

You can see the dynamic between the US and say Japan when it comes to figure skating. In Japan an international win can mean a lot, you sign new contracts, get on a few game shows and generally are in the public eye so some people who don't follow figure skating still know about the skaters.
In the US however anyone who doesn't follow skating basically doesn't have any clue who our skaters are or why they're even necessary. Even with a huge international win, here in the US you can still remain a virtual unknown. We don't hear much about our figure skaters until, well, the actual season starts again.
That was one thing i always envied about more serious skating nations, the news on skaters is constantly updated and followed. Here not at all. i have no idea what's going on with say Mirai Nagasu who is another one of my favorite skaters...
Back to top Go down
Mia

Mia

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:45 pm

sapphiresky wrote:

Rain (Jung Ji-Hoon) has put his name on Time's most influential people list 3 consecutive years as I know.
Frankly, nobody I know takes that Time list seriously any more.

Korean netizens are notoriously aggressive in Internet voting.
They are so organized in encouraging voting whenever some interesting international poll comes up. It's beyond your imagination.

I've seen innummerable posts urging people to vote for Yu-Na in the Korean internet sites during that Time poll.

Several years ago some American website conducted a poll called "The most beautiful/handsome entertainers in the world"
Both Korean actor and actress ranked No.1 in that poll defeating every Hollywood star.
Enough said.

Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:30 am

Mia wrote:
sapphiresky wrote:

Rain (Jung Ji-Hoon) has put his name on Time's most influential people list 3 consecutive years as I know.
Frankly, nobody I know takes that Time list seriously any more.

Korean netizens are notoriously aggressive in Internet voting.
They are so organized in encouraging voting whenever some interesting international poll comes up. It's beyond your imagination.

I've seen innummerable posts urging people to vote for Yu-Na in the Korean internet sites during that Time poll.

Several years ago some American website conducted a poll called "The most beautiful/handsome entertainers in the world"
Both Korean actor and actress ranked No.1 in that poll defeating every Hollywood star.
Enough said.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
dangerous_angel_face
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
dangerous_angel_face

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 am

I'm not sure, but I feel that a difference between japanese and koreans is that, japanese people generally don't care that much whether their stars/athletes are internationally famous.

I didn't know figure skating wasn't popular in the USA. Mirai Nagasu might actually be more famous in Japan than the US. I visited my family in Japan during the world championships. They like figure skating, but are not the craziest fs fans. After the SP they asked me if Mao won (since you have to wait a whole freaking day before fujiTV airs the competition, grr) . "No, Mirai Nagasu is 1st." "Mirai-chan won?" They all knew who she was.

Last edited by dangerous_angel_face on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:41 am

dangerous_angel_face wrote:
Mirai Nagasu might actually be more famous in Japan than the US.
Now that you mentioned it, this might very well be true... Whirly
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:26 am

I can't wait to see mao's new programs, but I can't help but be a little woried about the jump layout she is going to use this season, I have never seen anyone plan such diffecult program before, even the men would not be able to perform the program mao is planning to do. epecially not when she just begun to train new jump techniques. but well I still hope mao will be in great condition when the granprix begin and if someone can perform such a diffecult progam it would be no one else beside mao...
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:11 pm

ballerinamao wrote:
I can't wait to see mao's new programs, but I can't help but be a little woried about the jump layout she is going to use this season, I have never seen anyone plan such diffecult program before, even the men would not be able to perform the program mao is planning to do. epecially not when she just begun to train new jump techniques. but well I still hope mao will be in great condition when the granprix begin and if someone can perform such a diffecult progam it would be no one else beside mao...

Cheering Yes! I admit I'm a little nervous when I think about it, but Mao is such a trouper, she'll hang in there and do it somehow!
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 am

I still think the 2x3A, 2x3-3 layout is a layout Mao will be working towards, but not necessarily this season. All the other interviews / news seem to suggest that Mao's solo triple jumps might not even be ready in time for GP, and if solo jumps are not ready, she won't be able to do 3-3s, either.

After all, Nagakubo said that they went back to a 10-years old student level, worked so far on singles and doubles and just started working on triples.

I think that at the beginning of the season Mao might want to take advantage of the change in the rules and do 3A, 3-2, 3 in SP. And in the LP - one 3A (possibly 2 if she's comfortable with it), and either 3Lz or 3S (depending on which one is more solid by that time). And maybe Mao's best 3-3, or 2A-3T if she's working on one.
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:35 am

inskate wrote:
I still think the 2x3A, 2x3-3 layout is a layout Mao will be working towards, but not necessarily this season. All the other interviews / news seem to suggest that Mao's solo triple jumps might not even be ready in time for GP, and if solo jumps are not ready, she won't be able to do 3-3s, either.

After all, Nagakubo said that they went back to a 10-years old student level, worked so far on singles and doubles and just started working on triples.

I think this that at the beginning of the season Mao might want to take advantage of the change in the rules and do 3A, 3-2, 3 in SP. And in the LP - one 3A (possibly 2 if she's comfortable with it), and either 3Lz or 3S (depending on which one is more solid by that time). And maybe Mao's best 3-3, or 2A-3T if she's working on one.

I think this seems more realistic for the beginning of the season, but mao never changes her program in the middle of a season and to do this jump layout(even through it's more realistic) mao would need to learn and perform to completely different programs for this season which I don't think mao will do especially because she loves new challenges, just think about the beginning of last season where her progams at the granprix didnt go as planned but mao still didn't want to change it, and later the season( japanese national, 4cc, olympics, worlds) she performed both sp and fs to it's full potientiel..

and I think this season may be the same, she may not be ready for the granprix but I think she may be ready to perform it at the GPF or atleast at worlds which I think is her goal to perform this diffecult program when the world championships begin, ofcourse that doesn't mean she may not be able to perform it before, but I for my part am optimistic, Cheering
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:14 am

In 2007-2008 season, Mao and Rafael changed the jump layout of her LP as the season progressed. She began the season with only one 3-3 and then added another one at the GPF. She also made small changes during 2008-2009, when she was trying the new Lutz and the sal. I think the reason why Mao did not change her program last season was because that was a layout she has done before. It was almost the same as the previous year and plus it didn't include jumps she had problem with. Another reason is probably because TAT wasn't with her for most of the time so it would be hard to make changes without her coach by her side. I am with inkate in thinking that this layout is probably not for next season. It's still unclear whether these are just things Nakagubo wishes Mao could do or if they could be potential layout plans. Even if it is the latter, I still doubt if all these things would be included in the layout.
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 am

aoi88 wrote:

In 2007-2008 season, Mao and Rafael changed the jump layout of her LP as the season progressed. She began the season with only one 3-3 and then added another one at the GPF. She also made small changes during 2008-2009, when she was trying the new Lutz and the sal. I think the reason why Mao did not change her program last season was because that was a layout she has done before. It was almost the same as the previous year and plus it didn't include jumps she had problem with. Another reason is probably because TAT wasn't with her for most of the time so it would be hard to make changes without her coach by her side. I am with inkate in thinking that this layout is probably not for next season. It's still unclear whether these are just things Nakagubo wishes Mao could do or if they could be potential layout plans. Even if it is the latter, I still doubt if all these things would be included in the layout.

as much as I wish that you are right about it, it seems that nagakubo is serious about mao's layout and several aticals have said that mao will bring back her 3-3 and the lutz for the next season and ad a 3A in the end of her LP I don't think that all the article could be mistaken at the same time, but they may consider starting the seasion with a little easier jump layout like only one 3-3 instead of 2 in the LP, all we can do is just wait and see what she decides to do, but I for my part wouldn't be surprised if she actually choses to begin the season with that diffecult jump layout, even through I prefer her to wait with it till the end of the season!
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 am

I'm not saying the articles are wrong. I am just not sure if all of those elements would be included. Mao has not done a program with two 3A and two 3-3. When she started doing the two 3A in the LP, she dropped the 3-3. This makes me feel that that this particular layout may be too demanding for her to do. A feeling that was confirmed by a statement by Mao in an interview she did after the Olympics. Of course, Mao can build up her strength and stamina in the future but I feel that's unlikely by next season, especially since she's rebuilding her jumps. Nakagubo is a serious coach but I don't think he's an unreasonable one if he really thinks she can do all of these things by next season (at least I hope not!).

Actually, I am someone who feels that her layout last season wasn't even the hardest Mao ever did. Mao's hardest layout was definitely her 2007-2008 one in which she had everything. I would be very happy if she just brings back this layout next season with her new lutz. flower
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 am

I think that nagakubo knows very well the risk that he is taking by making such a demanding jump layout for mao, and he probably knows better then anyone what mao is capable of, I mean he is the one who is trainning mao regurly, but I think that both mao and nagakubo has realised that to really be able to take advantages of the new rules they need the 3-3 combo and a lutz back, even through they may not succed on the short term this will be exactly what she needs to be able to take full advantage of the new rules and that is when mao's 3A will be her greatest advantage/weapon, there is no need to rush things I mean I wouldn't mind if mao did bad in the granprix IF that would help her improve her jumps and the competitions are the best way to test if one really has improved/mastered the jumps, and I think mao's goal for this season is to improve/ bring back her old jumps to be able perform the programs at it's full potentiel at worlds and later on... but the big question is if they are going to use the whole jump layout from the beginnin g of the season, or take it step by step by using it in the middle of the season, I relly am so excitet about what she choses to do!! good thing that she lives in japan where there is news about there skaters almost regurly

lol!
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
aoi88

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Well her 2007-2008 layout included two different 3-3, one 3A, and a lutz, so it's a perfect showcase for technical skills. It's also the hardest layout done by a ladies skater so far.
Back to top Go down
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
maofan93

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Well Mao did attempt two 3Axels and a 3-3 in the second half of her program at Japanese nationals in the 2008-2009 season, but got downgraded. It also looked like she was going for this at the NHK trophy in 08, but she checked out on her flip, and at the 08 GPF, but she fell on her flip there.

I think the better layout would be the one she had in the 07-08 season, but change one of the 2axels into a 3sal....just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:06 pm

maofan93 wrote:
Well Mao did attempt two 3Axels and a 3-3 in the second half of her program at Japanese nationals in the 2008-2009 season, but got downgraded. It also looked like she was going for this at the NHK trophy in 08, but she checked out on her flip, and at the 08 GPF, but she fell on her flip there.

I think the better layout would be the one she had in the 07-08 season, but change one of the 2axels into a 3sal....just my opinion.

I actually don't mind her having 2 3A in the fs, because her axel is one of mao's best jumps, I think she may feel more relaxed to do 2 axel which she is used to, then a salcow which IS her least favourite jump and which she hasn't attempted for a long time.. not to mention that her a 3A gives more point.. that is why I fully support mao's decision..
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:33 pm

I don't know about the sal, to be honest...I have no idea if Mao still regard it as one of her weak jumps, but it never was much of a point getter for her unlike Miki or Joannie. The only advantageous reason to include it is as a replacement for the 2A to further milk out points like maofan93 has mentioned, since the axel jump requirement in the FS will already be satisfied with the 3A (doing this will also allow Mao to have a seven-triple program without a 3-3). Any jump can replace the 2A in this case, however, so the only time Mao *has* to absolutely attempt the sal is if she ever wants to go for an eight triple program. Fried

I could be wrong, of course, and Mao just might end up putting both the lutz and the sal in her program. Razz

ETA: I do find the idea of a "7 triple program without a 3-3" interesting. It isn't particularly CoP-efficient, but its base value is still pretty high...
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 5:27 am

clovera wrote:
I don't know about the sal, to be honest...I have no idea if Mao still regard it as one of her weak jumps, but it never was much of a point getter for her unlike Miki or Joannie. The only advantageous reason to include it is as a replacement for the 2A to further milk out points like maofan93 has mentioned, since the axel jump requirement in the FS will already be satisfied with the 3A (doing this will also allow Mao to have a seven-triple program without a 3-3). Any jump can replace the 2A in this case, however, so the only time Mao *has* to absolutely attempt the sal is if she ever wants to go for an eight triple program. Fried

I could be wrong, of course, and Mao just might end up putting both the lutz and the sal in her program. Razz

ETA: I do find the idea of a "7 triple program without a 3-3" interesting. It isn't particularly CoP-efficient, but its base value is still pretty high...

I find the idea of 7 triple program without a 3-3 also interesting but if mao is able to bring back her 3-3 why not do it, it would gave her an even bigger advantage if she can put a 3A and a 3-3 in her sp and fs epecially her sp, but the question is if it isn't to many things to work on at the same time, but no matter what the outcome in the beginning of the season may be the fact that she is bringing her old jumps back will help her later on, the question is if she will use this jump layout from the beginning of the season even through it may not be consistent and thereby taking a geat risk, or if she will start by using a little easier layout to begin with.

it would be nice if there would be some news about mao's training and if her jumps are consistent to enough to use them in competition from the beginning of the season or if she should wait a little, I can't wait to know how she is doing, the off season is really killing me lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix Assignments 2010   Grand Prix Assignments 2010 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grand Prix Assignments 2010
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3