Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010

Go down 
+15
clovera
getmewild
Okami
polosatik
summervie
ddmm
Batsuchan
zooma
Aibhlin
chapis
MaoMaoRevolution
roma
inskate
☆Genie
juliet
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Empty
PostSubject: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 5:21 pm

The ISU Single & Pair Skating/Ice Dance calendar of events and the list of competitors are out already........http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-136494-137802-nav-list,00.html
Back to top Go down
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Mao got TEB and COR. I'm very surprised that she didn't get NHK. But I'm glad that the finals will be held in Japan. I'm so excited about this GP with all the current skaters plus THE COMEBACKS. Something must have stirred THE COMEBACKS to compete again.
Back to top Go down
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
☆Genie

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:52 pm

OMG yuna, nakano, cohen, zhang, and MAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Back to top Go down
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:57 am

Gee!! I was anticipating to read some reactions and impressions on this thread but I guess nobody's home.................
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 2:06 am

People talk about their reactions in the Mao news thread flower

TEB has just crazy tough field!!! Faint2

The ladies field especially packed, but they got a great deal in men as well. There was an article that they wanted Verner or Oda (the Words quad squad, I guess?) and they got both! WOW!
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 4:00 am

somebody posted an update on my twitter that the GP assigments are now out. omg! what a way to open the grand prix at TEB... Mao, Yuna, Sasha, Yukari, Caroline, Carolina... *sigh* i wanna see that live! Many Hearts

like juliet, i'm also surprised Mao wasn't chosen in Japan. but i guess that's better. save the best for last at the GPF in Japan. Boogie
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 7:44 pm

Oh. My. Dear.

The ladies field is SO deep. SO SO deep. Deep like the ocean. No, deeper.

This is going to be crazy!! It seems like this coming season is shaping up to be the ladies battle of the decade (?!). Unless someone really slips up, it's going to be tense.

This excites me to no end!!!

I can't wait to go nuts and cheer for MAAOOO ASADAAAAAAAAAAAA~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!
Cheering Cheering Cheering
Back to top Go down
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chapis

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 10:30 pm

affraid OMG!!!, TEB will be so intersting. And what happend to Mao, she has a contract with cup of paris or what? Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
Aibhlin
Double Axel
Double Axel
Aibhlin

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 4:20 am

This TEB ladies' field might just be motivation enough to go to Paris again. (Not that anyone should ever need motivation to see Paris more than once... Smile )

I'm not really surprised that Mao didn't get NHK because they usually choose the highest placest competitor at previous worlds. And this schedule might be ideal for her, what with the training arrangements in Russia and so forth.

And I'm really glad all of the top five Japanese ladies received two invitations each! Maybe Takeda will be invited to NHK later on.

I really would have wanted to see Angela Maxwell on the senior gp circuit though...
Back to top Go down
zooma

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 7:35 am

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/p-sp-tp0-20090601-501360.html

According to this Mao wanted assignments to COR and NHK. If that's true JSF is the one made the decision. Probably France wanted Mao badly and invited Oda and Nakano as a package. I can imagine NA (especially canada) was reluctant to invite them.
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 8:44 pm

zooma wrote:
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/p-sp-tp0-20090601-501360.html

According to this Mao wanted assignments to COR and NHK. If that's true JSF is the one made the decision. Probably France wanted Mao badly and invited Oda and Nakano as a package. I can imagine NA (especially canada) was reluctant to invite them.

Judging from that interview from after Worlds 2009, it DOES seem that the French are big fans of Mao! flower

I would have guessed that Mao would want CoR and NHK. Yep, Sadly That would have been a nice schedule - 2nd and 4th events and both in her 'home bases.'

But I'm sure Mao is facing her assignments with her usual positive attitude! Thumbs up!

Here's a translation of the 3rd paragraph of that article that zooma posted:

Already, the preparation for the 'opening dash' is proceeding. After the World Team Trophy in April, Mao went to Russia, where Coach Tarasova is, and did a little under one month of training. Last season, she decided that Tarasova would be her coach in June, so she was late in creating her programs. That "late start" had an effect until the end of the season. At this year's World Championships in March, she finished 4th and missed the podium for the first time since she became a senior in 2005. She learned from that bitter lesson. A source revealed, "It hasn't been decided, but at this past training camp, candidates for the songs were raised." Currently Mao has returned home for a short time, and in June she will go to Russia and aim to complete her programs.

At the end of the article, it says that Coach Tarasova is scheduled to come to Japan in July and August.

Exciting, exciting stuff! Very Happy

Though I really don't think Mao created her programs all that late this year (08-09 season). I don't think she did her 2007-08 programs until mid/late-July (isn't that when she first met up with TAT?) Still, I think it is good that Mao is getting started on her programs early. Thumbs up!

Maybe TAT will get to see "The Ice" in Japan! I think she would enjoy that! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes, I think she signed a contract with TAT only in June last year so she had less time to prepare for her new programs. I think she'll be well prepared this year.

And yes, french are big fans of Mao. When you listen to what the commentators say about her (especially Candeloro), they never say anything negtive.

My guess is this will be Mao's year...she will come back strong.
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 11:57 pm

ddmm wrote:

And yes, french are big fans of Mao. When you listen to what the commentators say about her (especially Candeloro), they never say anything negtive.
You don't have to be a big fan of Mao so that not to say anything negative about her. Just to be a reasonable person is enough. Smile

Thanks for the translation, Batsuchan! :-)

I guess I'm going to spent this summer on inventing some kind of a time machine, so that then to watch TEB one month before everyone else does. study
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:08 am

summervie wrote:

I guess I'm going to spent this summer on inventing some kind of a time machine, so that then to watch TEB one month before everyone else does. study
ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO You're awesome!
Back to top Go down
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 5:05 am

Again and again, thanks BATSUCHAN for the infos and translations. Oh, I forgot , Thanks also to ZOOMA for the link and the info
Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks for the translation and updates! Daisies for you Daisies for you Daisies for you

I'm glad to hear that this time Mao is spending more time with Tatiana and planning to get comfortable with new programs earlier than last season. I think that this season Mao peaked a bit too late. Woot!

I wonder what kind of music Mao And TAT are considering. I have a feeling that this time they are really thinking it through and trying to find the music that will really suit Mao to a T. Many Hearts

I can't wait for the summer shows! Drama! Cheering
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Ok, so I finally got a chance to take a closer look at the assignments - the men, really.

My thoughts:
How come the Japanese men have so few spots compared to the ladies? confused Is it because there are not many of them other than Nobu/Dai/Taka-chan are in top 24?

It's interesting that there's a TBA for NHK Trophy - I guess they will give either Mura or Nanri a second event depending on who they think is doing better…? Question

I'm looking forward to seeing Denis Ten, another of TAT'S beloved babies… Many Hearts

I see they spelled Vaughn Chipeur's name wrong…Sweatdrop

I'm getting excited!!! Yep!
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
zooma

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 9:52 pm

I think TBA man at NHK will be Mura. If Machida proves something at regionals he may have a consideration though.

Ladies TBA is more unpredictable. Takeda has shown no improvement in past two seasons (still no 3Lz, 3F, even 3S is absent). I guess Ms Shirota wants younger skaters with a full set of triples to take a challenge to the Olympics race. I bet on Yuki Nishino.
Back to top Go down
getmewild

getmewild

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 5:12 am

Oh my God! I mean OMG! and more OMG!

Mao Asada will compete in TEB with Sasha, Yuna, Caroline Z., even Carolina Kostner... and Yukari Nakano!

I can't wait for TEB!
Back to top Go down
http://maoasada.blogspot.com
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 2:32 pm

zooma wrote:
I think TBA man at NHK will be Mura. If Machida proves something at regionals he may have a consideration though.

I like Machida, but he's the king of inconsistency. pale About 2 seasons ago I really thought he'll be a Junior World Gold contender sooner than later, but he started regressing afterwards. He could use a jump doctor and a better choreographer.

Quote :
Ladies TBA is more unpredictable. Takeda has shown no improvement in past two seasons (still no 3Lz, 3F, even 3S is absent). I guess Ms Shirota wants younger skaters with a full set of triples to take a challenge to the Olympics race. I bet on Yuki Nishino.

Nana was injured, so it's difficult to expect much from her in the last season. Still, she placed quite well at Japanese Nationals and Winter Universiade. I think that she has chance to place higher than Yuki (as of now). She doesn't have upper tier triples, but she's quite consistent and very expressive. She's a bit similar in that regard to European Champion Laura Lepisto.

Yuki Nishino has great potential (I loved her LP at Junior Nationals, amazing footwork!), but it would be much wiser to let her stay in the juniors this season. She's not competetive as a senior yet; she'll be hosed on PCS and buried in the standings. It would be extremely difficult for her to place well enough to guarantee 2 Grand Prix assignments for herself for the next season. What's more, Japan has very strong senior ladies right now - one more to compete with them is not really needed.

WHat is needed is a strong wave of juniors to guarantee more GP/Worlds spots for talented junior and novice ladies and to replace the retiring senior skaters in the near future. Last season a lot of junior ladies struggled with growth spurts or injures and they didn't place as well as they could. They totally have enough talent to fill 3 spots both in ladies and in men, but will only be allowed to send one to each of the disciplines. No They need to send the best representative this season... Last season I sort of felt that Kanako Murakami and Daisuke Murakami should make the Junior Worlds team instead. International judges seemed to be more kind to them and they skated stronger and senior Nats (and were sort of robbed in PCS at Junior Nats, in my humble opinion).

It would be also more beneficient for Yuki to stay in the juniors, as she has a chance to place high there and therefore guarantee 2 GP invites for herself for the next season. Making a senior debut in the post-Olympic season would make more sense, as probably some of the top Japanese will retire.
Back to top Go down
zooma

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Japan has serious shortage of JGP spots (only six available). Probably Imai, Murakami and Fujisawa are guaranteed one assignment. Suzuki and Nakamura placed higher than Nishino at Jr Nationals. At least two of them should be given second spots to make (Jr) GPF in Japan.

If Nishino could have a chance, it's better for her to do NHK and gain a decent SB. Compared to JGP, similar performances at SGP will definitely give higher scores (higher PCS and one more spiral). A total score around 145-150 points is enough to place within 24th of the annual SB list. I think Nishino is "competitive" enough at this level.

Jr Worlds is an extremely tough road in this season because only one can go. I think its better to aim 4CC (and possible vacancies at Sr Worlds) to gain additional points.
Back to top Go down
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:56 pm

There are only 3 spots for 4CC/Worlds, and I think it's extremely unlikely they will go to someone other than Mao, Miki, Yukari, Akiko and Fumie. Even if one or two of them would falter it would not be enough for a junior lady to get a spot.

I think it's easier to get a good PB on the Junior Grand Prix circuit than on the senior one. In the juniors the standards are lower, there is no clear favourites, and a solid performance with good jump arsenal may be well appreciated by the judges.

Furthermore, a junior skater can hope for more showings at the junior level. If they place well at two GP events, they can make GPF. The best of the best would get to go to Worlds as well. This means there is a hope for a skater to skate in 4 events. The more events, the better, because reputation matters and the judges are more likely to award good GoEs/PCS to skaters who have proven that they are contenders.

In the case of Yuki, skating at a senior level would mean that she'll get to skate in only one GP event. Not only are the judges extremely unlikely to give her big scores there (she is a skater with great potential, but she doesn't have yet the skating skills, polish and experience of older skaters), but it would be very likely that it would be her only international event. She would have no chances to get more competetive experience and more points for the ISU standings.

And precisely because there is only one berth available for Junior Worlds it's extremely important that this berth goes to the best lady; the lady who not only places hight at Junior Nationals, but also has the recognition of the international judges. Yuki Nishino, Kanako Murakami and Yukiko Fujisawa have the best chances, IMHO. If one of them falters before Nationals, there needs to be an experienced lady to replace her. Lack of experience and name recognition really hurt the Japanese representatives at Junior Worlds last season (not to mention the judging was sort of fishy there... Or maybe I'm just starting to have trouble understanding CoP... geek ).

There is a reason why USFSA keeps sending their age-available seniors back to Junior Worlds. They earn easy points there, and make sure that the next year USA will have 3 spots. And, of course, they keep other countries from earning points/berths. study
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:12 am

Okami wrote:
And precisely because there is only one berth available for Junior Worlds it's extremely important that this berth goes to the best lady; the lady who not only places hight at Junior Nationals, but also has the recognition of the international judges. Yuki Nishino, Kanako Murakami and Yukiko Fujisawa have the best chances, IMHO. If one of them falters before Nationals, there needs to be an experienced lady to replace her. Lack of experience and name recognition really hurt the Japanese representatives at Junior Worlds last season (not to mention the judging was sort of fishy there... Or maybe I'm just starting to have trouble understanding CoP... geek ).

There is a reason why USFSA keeps sending their age-available seniors back to Junior Worlds. They earn easy points there, and make sure that the next year USA will have 3 spots. And, of course, they keep other countries from earning points/berths. study
I'm in total agreement with you here Okami. I was completely dumbfounded that JSF remained firm with their Jr. picks - I think the JGF should have made it pretty clear (during that time) that Kanako/Yukiko were at the top of the Japanese juniors and senior Japanese nats should have cemented at least Kanako's placement on the junior team. Then we had the regional junior competitions from around February onwards, where Kanako and Yukiko both outperformed Mari Suzuki and Haruka Imai multiple times that I'm left scratch. I guess I never like the idea of having just one competition (in this case Jr. Japanese Nats, and similarly Alissa's odd overscoring at US Nats) be the deciding factor of who to send to Worlds, especially when a skater's overall performance is in direct contradiction with their results from the rest of the season.
Back to top Go down
zooma

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 am

IMO, Fujisawa & Murakami's unexpectedly good performances made the JSF's wrong decision. They must have thought that any combinations of six skaters (i.e. top 5 at Jr Nationals and Fujisawa) would secure three spots. They were quite "fair" to ignore international reputations and rewarded relatively "clean" performances of Imai and Suzuki. And as usual, they went by the unwritten rule of seniority. The youngest skater (Fujisawa) was disadvantaged in the first place. As long as they have choices, the JSF opted skaters who are age elligible for the Olympics.

Anyway, I have an impression that Ms Shirota's comeback could lead to some policy change. She tends to value "potentials" highly. If she's influential enough, there's a reason to suspect Nishino is favored over Takeda. Otherwise Takeda would've been given a NHK berth right away. Of course the final decision is made after summer.
Back to top Go down
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 am

I found this montage about 2009 GPS MEN SKATERS. It's very well done...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgM9rmV72A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010   ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ISU Grand Prix 2009-2010
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next