Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coach Machiko's words of wisdom

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 am

I guess this could have gone in the news thread, but I love Coach Yamada, so I thought I'd give her her own thread. flower

These are either letters or short commentaries that she wrote for the local newspaper, Chuunichi Sports. (I wish I'd found these a little sooner!)

I couldn't find an official link, so here again are the transcriptions from Mimi-san's blog:

http://ameblo.jp/mimiskate/entry-10375985549.html

“With a change of the SP song, a new breeze for Mao”

[From Chuunichi Sports, October 25]

Watching Mao’s expression while she performed, I felt this. It was dark. She was steadily being crushed by the pressure. That is the impression I received. Rather than the mistake on the triple axel, rather than the technical elements, I think the emotional side is the problem.

Here is where I want Mao to find some kind of change of pace and blow away those worries that she probably has inside. In a broadcast a few days ago, I heard that there was a suggestion to change Mao’s short program (SP) from “Masquerade Waltz” to her exhibition program song. This is just my thinking, but just by changing the song for the SP—isn’t that one way to do that?
I love Mao’s exhibition program for this season, “Caprice,” and last season’s “Tango.” They match Mao’s aura. If her free program is the grave melody of “Bells” that is appropriate for the Olympics, then I think it might be good to use an exhibition-like, cheerful song for the SP for contrast. Since it’s the middle of the season, I think it would be effective to take an exhibition program that she’s gotten used to skating and rework it for competition use.

If she can blow a new breeze into her SP, where she has been falling behind recently, I think it will also give her courage in her free program performance. Generally speaking, in this short period left between now and the Olympics, it is unthinkable to change coaches. When I see Mao in her current state, I want some kind of spice or something that will bring her a new breeze. If I think of what that could be, I arrived at changing the SP song.

Machiko Yamada (Grand Prix Toukai Club coach)

[From Chuunichi Sports, October 26]

Everyone must be thinking the same thing, but frankly, I was shocked. The Grand Prix Final of the important Olympic season, and moreover held in Japan—and Mao almost surely won’t be able to appear. She must be hurting a lot. People are not always at their best. It’s the same even for Mao. It’s just that it’s happening now, during the Olympic season.

If you’ve come this far, you really can only become defiant. Rather than have to face the GP Final with her current poor condition and her problems, she has received a grace period when she can revamp herself and change her mood. I heard that after the competition, Coach Tarasova had a chance to meet halfway and talk with Mao. Japanese people and foreigners speak different words, but I think she wanted to encourage Mao, and at the same time, figure out Mao’s true feelings. I think she reaffirmed, “Let’s fight this together.”

The reverberations [of missing the Final] will be big, but for the sake of Team Mao’s unity of purpose, I think Mao needs to refresh herself. Even if I assume that Mao won’t go to the GP Final, conversely, I predict that she will be able to head in a good direction.

I think Coach Yamada is right; I think Mao will be able to head in a good direction! Though, like Coach Yamada, I wish Mao would change her SP!

They say it's unthinkable that Mao wouldn't make the GP Final; well, they also say that it's unthinkable that Yu-Na *won't* win the Olympics, so just watch my darling Mao-chan take everyone by surprise and claim that gold medal that's rightfully hers!! Cheering
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:55 am

Thanks for the translation, Batsuchan! Smile

After reading this, can't help but wonder, why coach Yamada doesn't write for Japan Times, while the actual Japan Times' resident - doesn't work as a food-taster for some local second-hand feudal lord corporation CEO. Rolling Eyes

As for another topic. Right after the Rostelecom's free skate my first (as well as the second) thought was that it would be better to change *both* of the programs (even though I really, really like "Bells"). So that for Mao to have a feeling of a 100% fresh start, without any unnecessary associations being around.
But Mao and her team decided otherwise, which decision I fully 'support' (not because it is my obligation being a Mao's supporter, but simply because it should be this way).
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 8:49 pm

summervie wrote:

After reading this, can't help but wonder, why coach Yamada doesn't write for Japan Times, while the actual Japan Times' resident - doesn't work as a food-taster for some local second-hand feudal lord corporation CEO.

Maybe because she doesn't speak English so well?
I have to say, most of the Japanese skating commentators (the writers, not the people on TV) - I really agree with much of what they write. Like Hirono Aoshima--I've posted a number of translations of her very interesting, very nicely written analyses.
I'm going to be very cynical and say that Mr. Gallagher is perhaps the only English sportswriter they could find to write about skating, but that certainly doesn't make him an expert. Rolling Eyes

But, hey, if that's the case, maybe *I* can write the skating column for Japan Times!! ROTFLMAO

summervie wrote:
As for another topic. Right after the Rostelecom's free skate my first (as well as the second) thought was that it would be better to change *both* of the programs (even though I really, really like "Bells"). So that for Mao to have a feeling of a 100% fresh start, without any unnecessary associations being around.

I still think Mao should change her programs, not only to have better music but also to give her a fresh start. But I understand that Mao has to finish something she's started, and I want Mao to do what she thinks she needs to do. Yep!
Back to top Go down
tianrushui
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
tianrushui

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 9:08 pm

Batsuchan wrote:

But, hey, if that's the case, maybe *I* can write the skating column for Japan Times!! ROTFLMAO

I absolutely second this lol! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 9:33 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
summervie wrote:

After reading this, can't help but wonder, why coach Yamada doesn't write for Japan Times, while the actual Japan Times' resident - doesn't work as a food-taster for some local second-hand feudal lord corporation CEO.

I have to say, most of the Japanese skating commentators (the writers, not the people on TV) - I really agree with much of what they write. Like Hirono Aoshima--I've posted a number of translations of her very interesting, very nicely written analyses.
I'm going to be very cynical and say that Mr. Gallagher is perhaps the only English sportswriter they could find to write about skating, but that certainly doesn't make him an expert. Rolling Eyes

summervie wrote:

I still think Mao should change her programs, not only to have better music but also to give her a fresh start. But I understand that Mao has to finish something she's started, and I want Mao to do what she thinks she needs to do. Yep!

im curious to read what hirono aoshima hasnt written about mao. do you have a link you can send me to? thanks!
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
I guess this could have gone in the news thread, but I love Coach Yamada, so I thought I'd give her her own thread. flower

These are either letters or short commentaries that she wrote for the local newspaper, Chuunichi Sports. (I wish I'd found these a little sooner!)

I couldn't find an official link, so here again are the transcriptions from Mimi-san's blog:

http://ameblo.jp/mimiskate/entry-10375985549.html

“With a change of the SP song, a new breeze for Mao”

[From Chuunichi Sports, October 25]

Watching Mao’s expression while she performed, I felt this. It was dark. She was steadily being crushed by the pressure. That is the impression I received. Rather than the mistake on the triple axel, rather than the technical elements, I think the emotional side is the problem.

Here is where I want Mao to find some kind of change of pace and blow away those worries that she probably has inside. In a broadcast a few days ago, I heard that there was a suggestion to change Mao’s short program (SP) from “Masquerade Waltz” to her exhibition program song. This is just my thinking, but just by changing the song for the SP—isn’t that one way to do that?
I love Mao’s exhibition program for this season, “Caprice,” and last season’s “Tango.” They match Mao’s aura. If her free program is the grave melody of “Bells” that is appropriate for the Olympics, then I think it might be good to use an exhibition-like, cheerful song for the SP for contrast. Since it’s the middle of the season, I think it would be effective to take an exhibition program that she’s gotten used to skating and rework it for competition use.

If she can blow a new breeze into her SP, where she has been falling behind recently, I think it will also give her courage in her free program performance. Generally speaking, in this short period left between now and the Olympics, it is unthinkable to change coaches. When I see Mao in her current state, I want some kind of spice or something that will bring her a new breeze. If I think of what that could be, I arrived at changing the SP song.

[From Chuunichi Sports, October 26]

Everyone must be thinking the same thing, but frankly, I was shocked. The Grand Prix Final of the important Olympic season, and moreover held in Japan—and Mao almost surely won’t be able to appear. She must be hurting a lot. People are not always at their best. It’s the same even for Mao. It’s just that it’s happening now, during the Olympic season.

If you’ve come this far, you really can only become defiant. Rather than have to face the GP Final with her current poor condition and her problems, she has received a grace period when she can revamp herself and change her mood. I heard that after the competition, Coach Tarasova had a chance to meet halfway and talk with Mao. Japanese people and foreigners speak different words, but I think she wanted to encourage Mao, and at the same time, figure out Mao’s true feelings. I think she reaffirmed, “Let’s fight this together.”

The reverberations [of missing the Final] will be big, but for the sake of Team Mao’s unity of purpose, I think Mao needs to refresh herself. Even if I assume that Mao won’t go to the GP Final, conversely, I predict that she will be able to head in a good direction.

I think Coach Yamada is right; I think Mao will be able to head in a good direction! Though, like Coach Yamada, I wish Mao would change her SP!

They say it's unthinkable that Mao wouldn't make the GP Final; well, they also say that it's unthinkable that Yu-Na *won't* win the Olympics, so just watch my darling Mao-chan take everyone by surprise and claim that gold medal that's rightfully hers!! Cheering

wow.. thank you posting this. how intersesting. i hope mao does change her sp. i want to see her light up then olympic arena in vancouver.. nexk and neck with yuna.
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Haha, thanks, tianrushui! Very Happy

dlnnyc wrote:

im curious to read what hirono aoshima hasnt written about mao. do you have a link you can send me to? thanks!

See here:
https://maoasada.forumotion.net/mao-chat-f5/mao-asada-needs-to-find-mao-asada-t345.htm

and here:
https://maoasada.forumotion.net/mao-chat-f5/mao-asada-heroine-of-the-era-t381.htm
Back to top Go down
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
MaoMaoRevolution

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:49 pm

tianrushui wrote:
Batsuchan wrote:

I absolutely second this lol! Many Hearts

Me too! Maybe even for an English news source, too (because goodness knows we need some rational English skating critics out there =__=) Very Happy
Maybe you could just be freelance for them once in a while even Yep!
Cheering
=====
It seems Coach Yamada knows Mao very well since she was there from her early years. But maybe Mao has changed a bit since then. She has become a stronger, more powerful person...I wonder if Yamada-sensei has taken that into consideration when thinking about what is good for Mao.
I don't know though, I want to think Yamada-sensi is a mother-like figure for Mao who knows the person she really is inside.
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:09 pm

Batsuchan wrote:

Maybe. Smile
Batsuchan wrote:

What strikes me is the attitude with which Mr. Gallagher produces his populistic, cynical, pseudo-journalistic scribble.
Which reminds me a typical case when some absolutely unremarkable 'westerner' comes to Asia (China, Korea, Japan) and, being a subject of a ~special~ treatment ("wow, I have western friends, wow!" o_o), that person starts to have this arrogant, self-assured, patron-like attitude.
"...And any western sucker will be treated like a king. Welcome ot Asia!" I think they should apply these words as a motto somewhere - would be both true and appealing. And no need to invent anything complex marketing-wise. Rolling Eyes
But ok, this is already another topic.
Batsuchan wrote:

Maybe. Smile
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:45 pm

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:

It seems Coach Yamada knows Mao very well since she was there from her early years. But maybe Mao has changed a bit since then. She has become a stronger, more powerful person...I wonder if Yamada-sensei has taken that into consideration when thinking about what is good for Mao.
I don't know though, I want to think Yamada-sensi is a mother-like figure for Mao who knows the person she really is inside.

Yes, I do think she is a grandmother-like figure for Mao. You might be right MaoMaoRevolution, that she's a little removed from Mao now; she no longer sees her everyday and Mao has probably grown up a lot since she coached her.

On the other hand, she also has known Mao since she was a child, before she was famous, and those are the kind of people I think you can count on when things are going bad. For example, after 2009 Four Continents, Mao apparently asked her for some advice when she felt she had lost her motivation. So I think she has a pretty good idea what's going on in Mao's head, but that's just my feeling. flower
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 3:52 am

See here:
https://maoasada.forumotion.net/mao-chat-f5/mao-asada-needs-to-find-mao-asada-t345.htm

and here:
https://maoasada.forumotion.net/mao-chat-f5/mao-asada-heroine-of-the-era-t381.htm[/quote]

thanks so much for this batsuchan! so interesting. wonderful insights. i too agree. i rewatched her WTT sp/fp programs and wow... i cried after the SP. it was moving. mao was clair de lune! i know that piece well and it is a subtle piece of music to express. it requires more understatement and lightness. plays perfectly into mao's strengths. one thing that struck a deep chord while reading was how mao does not project the confidence of a ex world champion. i dont want to be all "she should do this and she should do that" but she does need to own the ice when her name is called. to take the energy in from the audience and let it envelop her. she does the opposite. her face says it all. she seems a bit shy and most of all she looks like she is thinking too much. anyway, thanks again.. i really enjoyed reading the articles. we shall see. at least it is not boring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coach Machiko's words of wisdom   Coach Machiko's words of wisdom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coach Machiko's words of wisdom
Page 1 of 1