Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Skate America

Go down 
+25
maowataiyo
kaarolcia
polosatik
bekalc
illani
inskate
tianrushui
chiyori
summervie
Aibhlin
josling
Mirai
dlnnyc
MaoMaoRevolution
Liffey
roma
coolmeia
Batsuchan
chapis
☆Genie
ddmm
bibi
clovera
chineseteacup
Star85
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

Skate America - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Oh dear, did Sandra and Scott really say that? They aren't doing Yu-Na any favours. They make Yu-Na sound like a conceited, insecure attention-seeker, which she is definitely not. Rattled after Rachel's standing ovation? What would it be like to skate following Yu-Na's SP here, at SA? Might as well just pack up your skates and head home!

My suggestion? Commentators shouldn't make ridiculous excuses for skaters, unless they say it themselves. Part of the reason why there is so much negativity towards Yu-Na is because people keep trying to find meaning in things that do not exist. I have to continually stop myself from getting annoyed at Yu-Na when I see videos on Youtube accusing Mao fans of throwing giant killer-sunflowers onto the ice, with some plot in mind of sabotaging Yu-Na. And it's not Yu-Na's fault. She takes responsibility for her own skating, which is admirable. Mao and Yu-Na sure didn't get to where they are today by complaining all the time. Why do the complaining for them?

No doubt there was something off with Yu-Na before her LP. Maybe physical, maybe psychological. Putting it down to Rachel's standing ovation is just going too far.

And Yu-Na's scores continue to make me go Question scratch Question While the quality of her jumps is indisputable, a triple does not equal a quadruple. Seems to me that the judges may need to retake some elementary maths lessons.
Back to top Go down
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
☆Genie

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 3:26 pm

to be honest im looking at the protocols and im puzzled how yuna's score went to 111 because I agree with all of the GOEs and stuff but I just don't know how it went to 111 o.o. The judges were fair but the score was off..

here is the link to her fs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lEgCFKq1U
Back to top Go down
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
illani

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 4:18 pm

I watched this on TV with my dad (who is a casual skating fan but not especially knowledgeable--seems to think the score's all in the jumps Rolling Eyes ). After Rachael skated, he kept saying "that's the winner", and I kept saying "just wait for the next one, and you'll see the difference..."

I guess that's what I get for making predictions. pale I've never seen Yu-Na skate like that...not even when she was injured at 2007 Worlds. So many mistakes, and the air seemed to go out of her performance. I was feeling so sorry for her, even though I'm usually in Mao's corner.

I agree that she was still overscored, though--compared with Mao's distastrous performance at Cup of Russia, this should have been in a similar range, or even lower.

As for Scott and Sandra...don't get me started. Rolling Eyes They always over-hype her, and now they're suggesting she can't handle a standing ovation for another skater? Suspect

Last edited by illani on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bekalc

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 4:46 pm

I HIGHLY doubt that this was about Rachael Flatt. I mean last year at Worlds Miki Ando got a standing ovation, and Yu-na responded just fine.

I think that Yu-na has just been under a lot of pressure. There were reports that her fans behavior was really horrific. Running to the stands of the warm up, screaming in her ear.

I mean before when Mao was skating well, at least it was accepted that she wouldn't win all the time. Although the expectations and pressure on her was great. But now everyone's saying hand her the OGM etc and thats just adding pressure on her shoulders. I actually think Yu-na actually looked a bit relieved after the skate.

As for why Yu-na's scores didn't look like Mao's, I think that's because Yu-na had a bit more content in her program even with the mess ups. (she still had the double axel/3toe which likely got huge GOE given the transition it had going in) the 3salchow, and she got credit for her first 3lutz, plus the other two double axels.
Back to top Go down
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Liffey

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:05 pm

bekalc wrote:
I HIGHLY doubt that this was about Rachael Flatt. I mean last year at Worlds Miki Ando got a standing ovation, and Yu-na responded just fine.
I think that Yu-na has just been under a lot of pressure. There were reports that her fans behavior was really horrific. Running to the stands of the warm up, screaming in her ear.

Excellent point, Bek. I agree now that Rachel had nothing to do with it. I've heard skaters in the past comment that sometimes skating after a phenomenal performance can be daunting, but Yuna had something much more serious going on today. And my sincerest apologies for anyone who had the displeasure of listening to Scott commentate today. I loved being there in person and watching him from across the arena while I couldn't hear what he was saying. Laugh

And btw, I was one of the people who commented on Yuna's fans going over to the K&C and screaming at her and taking flash photos before her warm up (there were MANY people taking flash photos at this comp. Rude, disrespectful, and frankly ridiculous Evil or Very Mad ). There were Koreans, Americans, Europeans, and all sorts of people on the staircase yelling for her. I mean, what do they think this is? A fan meet and greet?! It's a competition, and they should be leaving her alone before she skates; not screaming at her for a photo! Mad Could you imagine 100 people screaming at you before your warm up? Ugh. Some people have no manners or consideration for other people. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
polosatik

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Liffey wrote:

And btw, I was one of the people who commented on Yuna's fans going over to the K&C and screaming at her and taking flash photos before her warm up (there were MANY people taking flash photos at this comp. Rude, disrespectful, and frankly ridiculous Evil or Very Mad ). There were Koreans, Ameircans, Europeans, and all sorts of people on the staircase yelling for her. I mean, what do they think this is? A fan meet and greet?! It's a competition, and they should be leaving her alone before she skates; not screaming at her for a photo! Mad Could you imagine 100 people screaming at you before your warm up? Ugh. Some people have no manners or consideration for other people. Rolling Eyes
I wanted to kill them Rolling Eyes That was just weird! She's a human not a robot, can they leave her alone? It was all the pressure, she looked so scary, really, that's awful. Media and these crazy fans must stop, if they love Yuna, because they behaved very badly Very Mad
Back to top Go down
kaarolcia
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
kaarolcia

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:16 pm

oh wow, that's surprising! WOW!
In my opinion when Yuna took the ice she looked similar as Mao did before her LP in Moscow. You could definately tell that something was off. She seemed tired and not self-confident. Maybe it was the pressure. Something was not going well during the practice, maybe there were some "what ifs .." in her head.. I am not a Yuna fan but I still feel bad for her.

However, as cruel as it may sound, I think that it's good for Ladies. Other girls may now think that Yuna is human, she may have an off day, make mistekes and that anyone can beat her. It may motivate them to work harder because results are not a given until the competition is over.
When Mao finds out about the results maybe it will help her to get some confidence back. Nothing is lost yet Smile (beacuase the worst thing is knowing deep down that you may not stand a chance even though you try your best).
*And just to clarify - no, I don't think that Yuna making mistakes will only allow Mao to win. Mao may do great on her own and I believe that even if many girls skate clean Mao will win Dance
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:55 pm

[quote="chineseteacup"]Oh dear, did Sandra and Scott really say that? They aren't doing Yu-Na any favours. They make Yu-Na sound like a conceited, insecure attention-seeker, which she is definitely not. Rattled
My suggestion? Commentators shouldn't make ridiculous excuses for skaters, unless they say it themselves. Part of the reason why there is so much negativity towards Yu-Na is because people keep trying to find meaning in things that do not exist. I have to continually stop myself from getting annoyed at Yu-Na when I see videos on Youtube accusing Mao fans of throwing giant killer-sunflowers onto the ice, with some plot in mind of sabotaging Yu-Na. And it's not Yu-Na's fault. She takes responsibility for her own skating, which is admirable. Mao and Yu-Na sure didn't get to where they are today by complaining all the time. Why do the complaining for them?

i dont think scott and sandra meant it that way. i think it is culmination of everything (the flip fall in the warm-up, too much time to think and stress while she waits her turn, the pressure of her country, the pressure to consistenly be perfect) AND hearing/seeing rachel's standing ovation didnt help matters... so i could see why they would say that.

is it official that mao will not make the gran prix final? i guess it depends on skate canada. because right now mao is 6th in terms of points leading into the final.
Back to top Go down
maowataiyo
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
maowataiyo

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Girlfriend should just compete with the guys cuz obviously standards of judging for her are on completely different stratosphere. Rachael should have won- plain & simple.

Last edited by maowataiyo on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
☆Genie

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 pm

[quote="dlnnyc"]
chineseteacup wrote:
Oh dear, did Sandra and Scott really say that? They aren't doing Yu-Na any favours. They make Yu-Na sound like a conceited, insecure attention-seeker, which she is definitely not. Rattled

i dont think scott and sandra meant it that way. i think it is culmination of everything (the flip fall in the warm-up, too much time to think and stress while she waits her turn, the pressure of her country, the pressure to consistenly be perfect) AND hearing/seeing rachel's standing ovation didnt help matters... so i could see why they would say that.

is it official that mao will not make the gran prix final? i guess it depends on skate canada. because right now mao is 6th in terms of points leading into the final.
Joannie will have to flop like finish 5th or something and I really don't see that happening considering a very weak field and skate canada ♡ joannie.
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
roma

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks for the link to Yuna's FS, ☆Genie!

Is it just me or did the guy shouting Yuna's name at 0:26 seem like the same one who shouted her name when Mao took her place during the awarding ceremony at TEB? scratch

bekalc wrote:

As for why Yu-na's scores didn't look like Mao's, I think that's because Yu-na had a bit more content in her program even with the mess ups. (she still had the double axel/3toe which likely got huge GOE given the transition it had going in) the 3salchow, and she got credit for her first 3lutz, plus the other two double axels.

I just saw the protocols, too, and I agree with this. Personally, I won't compare Yuna's FS here to Mao's CoR FS. Mao only did 1 combo there and it was even downgraded. I'd like to compare this FS to Mao's TEB FS where Mao did 3 combos and one combo was downgraded just like Yuna. Yuna has 3 downgraded jumps and 1 fall while Mao had 4 downgraded jumps and 1 fall at TEB and Mao still got a higher score in the FS (although lower in PCS).

And on the previous page we were just talking about Yuna's confidence. This just goes to show that Yuna is human and even she can still suffer from nerves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casualdoodles.com
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Oh, I hate the NBC commentators, I really do. Very Mad

Yesterday, during the ladies SP, Scott Hamilton said that there are *two* required step sequences, but in actuality, there's ONE required step sequence and ONE required spiral sequence.

And THEN, he said that the triple salchow is the easiest jump and worth the fewest points. WRONG again! He might consider the salchow to be the easiest, but it's worth 4.5 points versus the toe loop's 4.0.

I think it's time to check your facts, Scott!! Skate America - Page 3 702229
Can we have Dick Button and Peggy Fleming back?? PLEASE??

Well, I finally saw Yu_Na's LP (I avoided watching it after TEB... Sweatdrop ). Totally love her costumes! Very Happy (If Mao's sticking with her music, can she please, please, please get new costumes?! )

I have to say, it seems like everyone's feeling the pressure in the Olympic season! All the top ladies have had sub-par performances this season, it seems.

As for the men's competition, I really enjoyed Ryan Bradley's performance! Thumbs up!

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing for Evan, but his music just makes me think of Yu-Na's program from last year, and I'm not sure his compares favorably... Neutral

I'll have to catch up on the rest later.
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am

I like how Yu-Na's FS dress looks like actual evening wear, rather than a costume. Either she herself or the people around her have impeccable taste in fashion.

I do miss Dick and Peggy. They were always so nice about Mao... Sad

And I can't stand Scott's exuberance. Really, it's too much.
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 4:36 am

chineseteacup wrote:
I like how Yu-Na's FS dress looks like actual evening wear, rather than a costume. Either she herself or the people around her have impeccable taste in fashion.

I do miss Dick and Peggy. They were always so nice about Mao... Sad

And I can't stand Scott's exuberance. Really, it's too much.

sorry chineseteacup i love scott's exuberance! he is such a good ambassador for skating who has overcome alot of adversity in his life (scoliosis, being adopted, 2 bouts with cancer, etc)
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 8:56 am

OMG, what happened to Yuna ? and where do that score comes from ? 111 ? 3Lz looks like <.
I am happy for Flatt. She's stable.
Back to top Go down
sofia
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
sofia

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:22 am

haaaahhhaaaaa kim didn't win the free skate.... I'm the happiest person of the world...... what happened? Maybe the perfect Machine didn't work....?? (sorry those who love yuna kim, but I just can't stand her and now I'm sosososo happy!!!!) Encore
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am

sofia wrote:
haaaahhhaaaaa kim didn't win the free skate.... I'm the happiest person of the world...... what happened? Maybe the perfect Machine didn't work....?? (sorry those who love yuna kim, but I just can't stand her and now I'm sosososo happy!!!!) Encore

Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
inskate

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Two words: bad karma, so please stop. Too sweet! Escape Skate Gods are flimsy creatures! Worship
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:06 pm

sofia wrote:

lol!

Ah, the bravest amongst us all.
Back to top Go down
Mirai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
Mirai

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 3:22 pm

sofia wrote:

Now, now, we all shouldn't be too....frank with our feelings. Sweatdrop

Last edited by Mirai on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 3:58 pm

sofia wrote:

as the japanese say BATCHI. which means bad luck. why should yuna be hated because she performs well.
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

sofia wrote:

Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

summervie wrote:
ddmm wrote:
I agree with you Liffey that Yuna has 'confidence', I think that's the only thing Mao needs to gain right now.
Yuna deserves first place at today's short, The only thing I don't understand is why her technical score is higher than Plushenko ??

Plushenko at COR→ 43.80
KIM→44.00
It's just the question of money, you see. cat

After seeing her Lp result, you may be right.
Back to top Go down
maowataiyo
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
maowataiyo

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 pm

ばち/bachi actually means retribution or punishment from the Gods. 罰が当たる, right? I know you probably know what it means, dlnnyc- I'm just trying to clarify it more. I agree with you that people shouldn't take pleasure in others' mistakes. That's like some of Yu-na's fans taking a cheap shot at Mao's recent performances.

But by my admission, I really dislike Yu-na. I think her demeanor changed when she switched over to Brian. I don't understand Korean so maybe some of my opinions based on her can be up for interpretation, but I really dislike how she handled some of her gripes about edge calls & obstruction of practice. I think both matters should have been taken with a grain of salt. She's been overlooked at times with judging. Whether it be edge calls or under-rotations. Same with Mao & other skaters. I think she could have taken a firmer stand with SBS mentioning interruption by Japanese skaters that just fed to sensationalism. Now I see ridiculous videos popping up how everyone's out to get Yu-na or how Yu-na is purportedly out to get Mirai. I think it was egotistical of her to think other skaters purposely cut into her skating path. It happens. Whether it's from people being too much in a zone or aloofness.

I actually think my biggest disdain for Yu-na is not w/Kim herself, but with her recent program component scores. I think they are not related to Yu-na so it is not her fault at all, but judges seem to inflate her scores by a ridiculous margin. I don't think with her jump content or w/the program itself she should garner such a lead in the SP to perform so poorly in the LP & still beat a relatively clean Flatt who was consistent in both the long & short. I think Kim is still by far much more talented & beautiful than Rachael, but how can subjective scores outweigh so much of the technical aspect of the sport where if Kim scores were factored like the men's she could give Plushenko a run for his money? Her PCS should not carry her over so that she scores like guys who do quads & triple axels.
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
chineseteacup

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:57 pm

inskate wrote:
Two words: bad karma, so please stop. Too sweet! Escape Skate Gods are flimsy creatures! Worship

If that were true, Yu-Na should have fallen clean through the ice ages ago, based on the amount of anti-Mao and anti-Japan sentiment on youtube alone. Who, me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skate America   Skate America - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skate America
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next