Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Canadian Nationals

Go down 
+5
skating_fanatic
chiyori
ElleluvsL
ballerinamao
alyssa
9 posters
AuthorMessage
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
alyssa

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 am

Patty Chan scored over 300 in Canadian Nationals.

Check the protocols.
http://results.skatecanada.ca/2011-2012/2012CDNS/2012CDNSSrMenShortsegJudgesDetails.pdf
http://results.skatecanada.ca/2011-2012/2012CDNS/2012CDNSSrMenFreesegJudgesDetails.pdf

How much will that influence international judges?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 am

the scores are totally crazy, no logic in them and it looks like they are making a person purpusly unbeatable. I mean if the judges are going to show there favor so obviously why does he even need to show up at nationals..
Back to top Go down
ElleluvsL
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
ElleluvsL

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am

My first instinct upon viewing those scores was to start cracking up Laughing but then the irritation set in. I mean come on. Everyone knows that nationals scores are inflated when compared to international events, but a 300+? What the hell? affraid Patty's Aranjuez isn't even as good of a program as the Phantom of the Opera one last year was. Once again, I can't believe that I ever used to feel sorry for Pat and his silver medals at worlds back before judges around the world fell victim to a simultaneous crush on him and his quads Embarassed

Something else to be annoyed about is the fact that SkateCanada is still considering sending Cynthia Phaneuf to worlds over Amelie Lacoste, despite Lacoste earning her first national title.
Favoritism, favoritism...

I'm very happy for Duhamel/Radford though Like a Star @ heaven They've been my favorite canadian pair for a while now...
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 am

alyssa wrote:

Check the protocols.
http://results.skatecanada.ca/2011-2012/2012CDNS/2012CDNSSrMenShortsegJudgesDetails.pdf
http://results.skatecanada.ca/2011-2012/2012CDNS/2012CDNSSrMenFreesegJudgesDetails.pdf

Even though I know it was probably an awesome skate, this just makes me not want to watch. And I probably won't either. Counting quickly, the judges awarded him close to 20 points in GOE (this is more than Yu-Na's Olympic FS) and the PCS is a bit ridiculous. The amount of 10s is embarrassing.

I mean, I know none of the other Canadian skaters holds a candle against Chan but come on. Even Nationals inflation shouldn't go that far. I mean, what's it going to be next year if he goes clean again? 350? I dearly hope this 300 point BS (sorry...) will not happen in an international event, at least not unless he adds another 3A and maybe even a 3rd quad. I certainly hope international judges will not be overly influence by this. It's not like he's been consistent either... I had a nice laugh when, right after he was crowned Canadian athlete of the year, a couple friends of mine contacted me, wanting to know where and when he did anything so special because in almost every video they found of him on YT, he ended up wiping the ice with his butt at some point. ROTFLMAO

Don't get me wrong. I think he is extremely talented and he has really pushed his boundaries with the quad and that's fantastic. He won many events with what I felt were ridiculous scores but often times, I was kinda pressed to award the gold to someone else because none of the other skaters had really brought it, either digging themselves into a hole in the SP (à la Dai in the GPF) or just dropping the ball completely (aka Nobu and his now famous 3 triple toes).

And actually, from a strictly technical standpoint, I feel like Chan really has it in the bag over all the other competitors. Even if Dai nails his quad, he's still a quad short of Patrick and even though he has 2 3A while Patrick only has 1, it's still worth less points and Patrick has two 3-3, both after the halfway mark, to back himself up. Taka-chan's quad is getting more consistent but he might get hit on PCS for not being the 1st japanese skater. Jeremy's a huge question mark and doesn't really have a quad at this point. Plushy might bring it but he is also a question mark. Yuzuru has stamina issues because of asthma though he has gotten a lot better this season. He might be a huge threat come Sochi or maybe a little later. I think he has it in him to add another quad. He's just going to have to build towards it because if he tries too hard too fast, he's going to break. Javier has the quads, though he shouldn't score anywhere close to a clean Chan on PCS. And then, who's left? I'm kinda drawing a blank... Joubert maybe? That involves a lot of wishful thinking at this point, even though I wish him all the best. So even if everybody else goes clean and perfect at Worlds, with all the current layouts, Chan still has the advantage. His program is very smartly put together in that department.

Sorry for the long rant. I ended up wasting my entire lunch break on this, but I kinda built up to this ever since I saw the scores. So my final take is: forget about national inflation here, if Chan is clean at Worlds with this jump content, even a clean Dai can't catch him technically.

ETA: ElleluvsL, I'm soooo with you on the Phaneuf/Lacoste thing. On the broadcast, they were arguing that Phaneuf had the best international record so of course the federation would consider her... but I was thinking yeah, she once somehow managed to dig out a 7 triples program at Worlds... and still managed to finish only 5th in a total splatfest of an event where the bronze medalist only landed 3 triples. Lacoste won and that's all that should matter.
Back to top Go down
skating_fanatic

skating_fanatic

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 pm

I agree, chiyori and ElleluvsL, that the idea of sending Phaneuf to worlds instead of Lacoste is silly. Yes Phaneuf is talented and yes she placed 5th at the 2010 worlds, but other than that competition she has consistently put out disappointing performances. I personally think Lacoste earned her spot on the world team fair and square by coming in first. Some may argue that she will not do as well as Phaneuf would, but she certainly deserves the chance to prove those people wrong.
Back to top Go down
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:31 pm

alyssa wrote:

Check the protocols.

Yikes!!! WOW! Is this a joke?! What are the judges smoking?! Over 100 points for the short, I don't see it, and 200 points for the blah Aranjuez. I agree with you chiyori, it's ridiculous and embarassing.

I don't see him scoring that kind of point total at worlds, at least not without a scandal (imo).

If Lacoste has won the nationals, why are they thinking of sending Phaneuf?! I mean, if you're not willling to send a national champion to worlds, than why having nationals in the first place? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Star85

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Wow. I agree with you chiyori, this makes me not want to even watch either. This is ridiculous. How much was the old highest record for? I expect Patrick to still be the judges fave at worlds, but I really don't think they will be THIS generous. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Patrick is like the male Yuna now. It's like, after Yuna left, the judges wanted a new favorite, and they chose Patrick. Yes they are great skaters, but it seems like they get good scores just handed to them, even when they don't really deserve them. Someone was saying on here a while back that skaters seem to get judged on reputation. I that has a lot of truth to it.

As far as them considering sending Cynthia over Amelie when Amelie won her first title, I think that's absurd. Part of the reward of winning is getting to go to worlds (although I guess it's not garunteed...). How dare they try to take that away from her! Yes, maybe Cynthia is a little better overall, and she would be expected to probably do place a little better. But my God, it's not like she's Joannie or anyone like that. No one expects Cynthia to win, and it wouldn't be surprising in the least bit if she didn't even do well at all. Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
ballerinamao

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Star85 wrote:
Wow. I agree with you chiyori, this makes me not want to even watch either. This is ridiculous. How much was the old highest record for? I expect Patrick to still be the judges fave at worlds, but I really don't think they will be THIS generous. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Patrick is like the male Yuna now. It's like, after Yuna left, the judges wanted a new favorite, and they chose Patrick. Yes they are great skaters, but it seems like they get good scores just handed to them, even when they don't really deserve them. Someone was saying on here a while back that skaters seem to get judged on reputation. I that has a lot of truth to it.

As far as them considering sending Cynthia over Amelie when Amelie won her first title, I think that's absurd. Part of the reward of winning is getting to go to worlds (although I guess it's not garunteed...). How dare they try to take that away from her! Yes, maybe Cynthia is a little better overall, and she would be expected to probably do place a little better. But my God, it's not like she's Joannie or anyone like that. No one expects Cynthia to win, and it wouldn't be surprising in the least bit if she didn't even do well at all. Very Mad
[b]

I totally agree Rolling Eyes

it such ridicoules scoring that makes this sport lose it's supporters and really the only thing that made me like the sport and keeps me watching it is Mao, if she didn''t compete i think all my interest for the sport would have slowly fade away!
I can't even take those scores serously lol, just like kims scores were often a complete joke! (but that was probably more due to the system that had some flaws that needed to be fixed, and in the meantime benifitted certain skaters). anyway i also well pass on watching his performance cause that is ridicoules
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

I honestly wish that JSF, USFSA, and Canada would send their top three from all disciplines to 4CC and make a decision based on that. It makes more sense to.

Chanflation. That is all I have to say for PChiddy. I can't stand it anymore!!

As a sidenote, what a splatfest from Virtue/Moir in the SD. That's not going to cut it against Davis/White if they have that kind of showing at 4CC.
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Alokya wrote:
As a sidenote, what a splatfest from Virtue/Moir in the SD. That's not going to cut it against Davis/White if they have that kind of showing at 4CC.

I really don't like their SD this year. I thought it might be because it didn't come across well on TV but I saw it live and the music cut is just as horrendous. The slowing parts for the rumba pattern... ugh. Sounds terrible... I mean, the rumba is boring enough on its own, do we really have to listen to some slow, mashed up mixed version of the music at the same time? Makes both my eyes and ears hurt. Last year's FD to this was miles better and they should have left it at that and moved on to something else with a little more drama. Because honestly, all the sexiness from last season has bled out of it for me.
Back to top Go down
Alokya
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:49 pm

I agree with you. Their free dance worked better because it was longer and could really include all three pieces. This short dance is just choppy and crummy in general. Plus, I'm not a fan of Virtue's pink costume. It doesn't suit her in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
bellarina

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Alokya wrote:
I honestly wish that JSF, USFSA, and Canada would send their top three from all disciplines to 4CC and make a decision based on that. It makes more sense to.
I agree, especially for the US, which is usually not as clear cut as the other two countries in terms of "favorites". They would've been spared the Rachael Flatt disaster of Worlds last year, for instance, by sending Mirai instead. Plus it gives the federation a sense of how the competitors' international scores directly compare to each other, which is the important measure in terms of Worlds, rather than nationals scores.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canadian Nationals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   Canadian Nationals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canadian Nationals
Page 1 of 1