Ballerina on Ice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Four Continents Championships 2009

Go down 
+20
helen91
coolmeia
Rhythmically
coconut
summervie
Mia
bibi
chiyori
SoMiTripleAxel
Maya
Mirai
Admin
ddmm
cera
Okami
polosatik
Batsuchan
inskate
clovera
Nanae
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm

OMG!! Totally in love with the new dress! Love Hearts I was not such a fan of the old one and I'm SO glad that Mao changed it! Swoon Swoon

Okami - you rock!! Thanks so much for all the links! Worship

The ladies short starts in a little over an hour! clovera - are you going to be watching on IN? Anyone else?

Okami - I agree about being worried about the 3Lz. pale Most of the articles I read today were all about the poor condition of Mao's 3Lz. (Apparently Yu-Na also was having some difficulty - the smaller rink is really having an impact! No)

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20090205-OHT1T00029.htm
Some translated parts: According to a JSF official who talks about Mao's problems with the 3Lz, "If her condition stays like this, even if she lands the jump, it may be called underrotated."
But if Mao wins, she'll beat Midori Ito's record and be the Japanese person with the most international skating titles.
Brian Orser says this is their chance to beat Mao; Canada is also Yu-Na's home base.

Was that Yu-Na's cheering squad at the end of the naver video? Holy cow! affraid

I hope that Mao can do her 3F+3Lo and get credit for it. As for the discussion above about the underrotation, my impression always was that Mao pre-rotated too much before she jumps, and not that she rotates on the ice when she lands. In the other competitions you can see her foot turn all the way back to face the boards before she takes off, and she lands facing sideways, which would be about 1/4 turn too short... Crying or Very sad

Here's another thought I had on Mao's 3Lz. When she was doing it at TEB, I thought that her new approach looked a lot like how she sets up for a 3Lo - so I wonder if her fixing the 3Lz threw off her 3Lo in the past competitions - and now that she's focused on fixing the 3Lo, she's messed up the 3Lz? Hmm... confused

On the positive side - Mao seems to have some support from the Japanese-Canadian residents. You can see them in the video links, and also in this article here:
http://vancouver.keizai.biz/headline/466/
http://vancouver.keizai.biz/photoflash/91/

Several Japanese-Canadian fans were there at the practice to cheer Mao on.
One girl said "I was surprised that Mao could do those powerful jumps on such thin legs." "I made a fan to cheer Mao on. After the practice session, I was able to give Mao a necklace I made myself, and she received it with a smile. I want her to try her best and aim to win." flower

Glad that Nobu and Kozu are in good condition - I'm really excited to see them too! Japan team, ganbare!! Cheering

Goo Mao! Have confidence, don't forget the fighting spirit and attack! Cheering Cheering

Can't wait to see the new costume!!!!! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
Okami

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Quote :
As for the discussion above about the underrotation, my impression always was that Mao pre-rotated too much before she jumps, and not that she rotates on the ice when she lands.

I agree. i wouldn't exactly call it prerotation - all loops have a certain amount of prerotation and IMHO Mao doesn't rotate on ice more than allowed. To me it looks like Mao delays the take-off just a bit too much and in that moment her blade does an outsite curve... If you looked at the ice tracings it would look something like that:
Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Tracing01vj7
Because of that delay she looses speed/momentum and rotating the jump fully becomes almost impossible. I looked at some of the combos that I consider to be the most fully rotated (Irina in her best days, young Mao and Nobu) and the skaters either launched 3L immediately - or do a little pause, but with their blade following a straight line.
I think Mao developed this habit when she grew taller, more muscular (and therefore heavier) and needed that additional time to steady the edge on the landing; and now it's become really difficult to get rid of that habit... Not to mention recently Mao's jumping technique became more powerful, so perhaps she simply needs that additional time to steady the landing again.
BTW I've seen at least two of Mao's recent attempts that were fully rotated and with not much delay between 3F and 3L. It looks like she's working on it, but in the competition or in a stressful situation the old habit kicks in again. pale
I wonder if it wouldn't be better to concentrate on 3F-3T instead, and avoid attempting 3F-3L until it's completely fixed. But I have a feeling that Mao's too much of a challenger to do it, and she'll just keep attempting it until it gets ratified.
I hope that whatever she decides to do will work out for her.
Good luck!

...And now I must go to sleep. Unconscious Snow
Back to top Go down
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
ddmm

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Yes, I heard that many korean fans living in Canada are there to cheer Yuna.

Mao's popping her 3lutz during her final official training....uhmmm..I think TAT should have been there with her. She can do it, it's just a mental thing.

If her 3-3 is UR and she pops her 3Lutz, I don't want to imagine her score.. GO GO GO Mao !
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Ooooh! CBC's showing an encore of Mao's FS at worlds cheers
Back to top Go down
Mia

Mia

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
if Mao wins, she'll beat Midori Ito's record and be the Japanese person with the most international skating titles.

Wow, this is amazing considering Mao still has several years to comptete at international events. (I don't think Mao will retire after she won OGM in 2010)

Mao's new SP dress looks Love Hearts Fabulous Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 pm

I was just about to P2P/Proxy my way into CBC but IN is back up for me, thank goodness. Sweatdrop

LOVE Mao's new SP dress. Thumbs up!

Arena is a little more than half packed, it seems - not bad considering its still a weekday and its just the first group. Yep!

ETA: IN is suddenly showing SBS reporters... confused (as usual, they mention Mao and Yu-Na, no idea what else they are talking about)

ETA2: Now the IN feed is replaying performances from earlier groups. I guess that's a good way to kill time while the ice is getting Zamboni'd, but IN sure is bizarre today... Suspect
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 pm

clovera wrote:
ETA: IN is suddenly showing SBS reporters... confused (as usual, they mention Mao and Yu-Na, no idea what else they are talking about)

Weird... Personnally I've now watched Joannie's Canadian Championships FS 3 times, and they are currently evening out that score with Patrick Chan. I've seen V/M's FD 2 times, and basically had a review of the entire Canadians... I'm not complaining; it's better than leaving us hanging in between groups but I'd love some interviews, backstages clips, and the likes. I guess I'll have to wait for the real coverage for that... Yep, Sadly

ETA: Youpee! Warm up!
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Ohh, I see now, there are breaks between the groups! I went to take a shower and came back and was like, how is it that only 3 people have skated since I left?? Laugh

Looks like it's going to be a late night for me...thankfully my boss isn't coming in tomorrow so maybe I'll sleep in a bit. Sweatdrop

So I found out that 1) Staples center in LA (where Worlds will be held) also has an NHL-sized rink, so 4CC will probably be good practice for Mao. I don't know how she's going to train for that - section off parts of the Chuukyou rink? - but at least she has an idea what it's like to skate on an NHL rink.
2) Supposedly the rink at the Pacific Coliseum will be enlarged to Olympic size in time for the Olympics (actually, I think the plan is to do it by October so a speed skating event can be held there), so that's good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
Ohh, I see now, there are breaks between the groups! I went to take a shower and came back and was like, how is it that only 3 people have skated since I left?? Laugh

Actually, it's just the warm-ups but they're zambonying (yeah it's almost midnight... is that even a word?) every two groups.

Quote :
So I found out that 1) Staples center in LA (where Worlds will be held) also has an NHL-sized rink, so 4CC will probably be good practice for Mao. I don't know how she's going to train for that - section off parts of the Chuukyou rink? - but at least she has an idea what it's like to skate on an NHL rink.

Thanks for the info. Now that you say it, it seems pretty obvious since the Pacific Coliseum and the Staples Center are both home rinks to NHL teams (though I had no idea there were any differences between hockey rinks and FS rinks before I read about it here... looking at them, I think I've mostly always skated on narrower rinks like the Pacific Coliseum. Not sure though). I hope Mao finds a way to prepare herself. I've noticed this year that she's covering a lot more ice, width-wise, so a narrower rink would (and seemingly is) obviously a problem pale

Go Mao! I'll stay up just to watch you skate Good luck! Good luck!

ETA: Yeah! Mao at Worlds again in the "intermission" Laugh... Group 5 next with Zhang, Flatt, Czisny, Xu, Phaneuf and Suzuki. Lots of action I hope... Sounds promising Boogie

Last edited by chiyori on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 pm

Group 5 after the intermission! I love you IN is sticking to just showing the Zamboni now. Hell, no!
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Oooooh! Did Rachael wear that beautiful white dress at Nationals? I can't remember... It's lovely though Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:50 pm

chiyori wrote:
Oooooh! Did Rachael wear that beautiful white dress at Nationals? I can't remember... It's lovely though Love Hearts

I don't think so - I would've remembered that! Very Happy

Ok, I sorta tried to nap but definitely couldn't sleep, but now I'm up and excited! flower

I'm going to try to stay up to watch Mao and Yu-Na, but I don't think I can watch more than that...we shall see...

Go Alissa! Go Akiko! Cheering
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm lucky. I only start working at noon tomorrow so even though it's 1AM, I'll still get my 8 hours lol!

Oops! I just missed the first part of Caroline's program... Stupid me Embarassed

58.16 for Zhang... Commentator (PJ Kwong) said her 3-3 was downgraded.
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 pm

IN goes berzerkers and I miss Rachael's program entirely. Very Mad
Oh, this better not happen when Mao's turn is up!

Edit: 700k stream went back on just in time to see her scores. PBP from FSU says she stepped out on her 3-3, definite UR.

Last edited by clovera on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Did you try the 400k stream clovera? That worked for me when the 700k died out, but now it's back.

Yeah, it better not happen when Mao is on!!

ETA Oh poor Alissa - I guess the nerves got to her. But I don't really mind; she really is such a pretty, elegant skater.
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Huh? I wasn't expecting her to pass Rachael... Nice. Surprising but really nice.

Go Cynthia!!!! Good luck!

Yeah!!
2A wonderful!!
3Lz-2T clean clean clean Very Happy
3T
Gorgeous presentation (she's got the Arakawa "I'm tall and I know how to use it thing going")
Standing ovation and a very happy me lol! And David Pelletier is sitting with her Cloud 9

Last edited by chiyori on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Yeah, I agree, interesting scoring going on...Suspect (But I'm not complaining too much; I definitely prefer Alissa!)

Cynthia's combo was WOW! I totally did not expect her to land the first jump...crazy. Good for her! Standing O; she must be so happy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 pm

60.98!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
summervie

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Does any of you, guys (or, well, just anyone who reads this message), use MSN? Sweatdrop
tennenkokekko@hotmail.com
Would be glad to have any of you there (especially in the moment like this). Smile

Last edited by summervie on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Hmm - not bad from Akiko. I thought her SP was "Dark Eyes" - or am I getting confused? I like her costume - very understated and elegant. Very Happy

ETA 55.40 - in 5th place.

OOh, time for the final group!!!

Gah, ok, I'm going to scream extremely obnoxiously loud at Worlds - why does Yu-Na get more screamers?? Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Batsuchan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Her FS is Dark Eyes and it kicks a lot more a** than her short Very Happy

Last edited by chiyori on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
clovera

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Interesting judging going on, but nothing to complain about. Razz
Korean contingency sure is loud, though. Whirly
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Thanks chiyori for clearing that up!

I feel kinda sorry for Gizmo (yeah, I'm not going to try to spell her name) - best finish was 19th at Worlds?

What? Did Mao change her solo jump to a loop???
Back to top Go down
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
chiyori

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:36 pm

I hope not... pale

I'm sorry for being totally ignorant but who's that tall girl in purple? Never seen her before but she's in the final group? Huh?
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Batsuchan

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Hmm Mao got too close to the wall to do her combo...poor Mao. You can do it!! Cheering

ETA Mao's up next; I hear kids yelling "Mao-chan!" in the background!! GANBARE!!!

Last edited by Batsuchan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Four Continents Championships 2009   Four Continents Championships 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Four Continents Championships 2009
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next